Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Citizen: Chris Roberts Hates the Media

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Well, he moderately dislikes us, I guess.  I had to exaggerate a bit, because that’s what we media people do.  According to Chris, we whip out sensationalist headlines to generate a little drama around our articles.  To be fair to him, we do to some extent, but folks like him are there loading our ammo for us.

Read more of Red Thomas's Star Citizen: Chris Roberts Hates the Media.

Let us into your safe place, Chris. Let us in.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MaelwyddMaelwydd Member Posts: 1,123

If the media actually reported fact there wouldn't be a problem. But when the 'News' became a money making enterprise it lost any integrity it once may have had. No sympathy for the News industry here. I totally understand Chris's point.

The 'News' today consists of building stuff up so that you can sell air time on the buzz it creates and then to break it down so you can sell more 'air' time.

To address the point of your post it doesn't matter what Chris decides to do. All the media cares about is how money can be made from that choice. All I care about is if the game is fun and enjoyable. So whatever choice is made is fine by me.

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

*sighs* The libel in the title alone LOL!

I am not a fanboi, but I believe in what Roberts is doing.  He could be single handedly changing how the industry works with how he is developing this game.

He has zero obligation to share any information at all.  And like you said Suzie, "CIG could potentially walk away right now in the black and there’s not a thing anyone could do about it."

But what he IS doing is pushing out updates, and being fairly transparent on their activities with updates on the status of the various projects going on.  Treating the backers like they are shareholders in a company.

I do disagree that it is CIG's responsibility to educate the public on the process on "How to make a game".  Putting all the blame on him and CIG unjust.  It is the person who needs to educate themselves.

Like I said, I am not a fanboi, but I like the idea of Star Citizen, and I hope that idea turns out to be reality, but I do not support your article.  Between CitiCon, Wingman's Hangar, 10 For the Chairmen, Developers and directors both being extremely active in the forums... there is a lot of information passing from CIG to the world.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Pretty much what Mael said, yet I"d add I wouldn't call most of what I see in gaming news journalism, it's more like exploitation. You exploit the curiosity of the reader through sensational means to garner the most hits regardless of any accuracy. That's what internet news as a whole has become, but more so in fields like this. The worst part is; this article says you completely endorse that approach.

IN closing CR has a point, there's no sense of responsibility or honesty when it comes this type of thing, you say what you say simply to garner as much attention as possible, nothing else matters. What ever happened to integrity and fact finding? Money, hits mean money and the truth is boring.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• PackedSardinesPackedSardines Member Posts: 1

I don't even like Star Citizen and I agree with him.

Almost all game journalists are the same type of awful, soul shriven people that sell their souls for no reason other than lack of decency and ratings.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

I sort of have to agree with Red... I can not remember Chris complaining when he get positive articles or get praised to the skies. Then it is ok to use sensationalism...

That being said i do not know one single creative person who like to have their passion and their product/production questioned. So his reaction is as expected as it is futile.

This have been a good conversation

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    I agree that he's full of contradictions, the slimy digs at how you wouldn't get X if Y was handled by a publisher, yet X is majoritively a crappy excuse for bad project management. Roberts comes across as very bitter man with regards to publishers.
  • mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    it is spelled criticism no cricisim by the way and I agree with Roberts.

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

He's just angry because the media isn't fawning over his long-delayed dogfighting module as much as he would like. I guarantee if the 'sensationalist' media were touting it as the best thing since sliced bread, he wouldn't be complaining about it. Yet because he's being taken to task for failing to deliver what was promised even after a lengthy delay, he's throwing a temper tantrum and threatening to pull the media equivalent of pulling up the ladder to his tree house and sticking a 'No Girls (Media) Allowed' sign on the front.

While he makes a point, he destroys his own credibility buy using the exact same methods.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220

Dude, mostly everyone hates the media. All media.

~I am Many~

• SevalaSevala Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Also, gaming media, in my recent opinion, has become 90% paid advertising, so can't blame someone for being just as skeptical of the media as they can be of them.

~I am Many~

• VikingirVikingir Member UncommonPosts: 162

Well, the article author has misinterpreted Chris Roberts, I think. Mr. Roberts only spoke about media which said CIG was not working hard or media which said the project is a scam. He didn't speak about crowdfunding or that he thinks the media treats the project badly in that regard. Yet this article adresses the crowdfunding issue and not what he said. Why is that?

I can only conclude the article author has issues with Star Citizen or Chris Roberts and use this media space to voice his own opinions. Since this article isn't about something Chris Roberts said, it's only speculative. The author is also putting words in Chris Roberts' mouth. Bad journalism! In addition he choose to use an article title picked out of thin air, which doesn't add to the seriousness.

Best regards,
    Viking
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

"could potentially walk away right now in the black and there’s not a thing anyone could do about it.   So, yeah"

->>>>

yeah, this is bullshit sensationalism

it is also vitriolic insinuation of CIG having fraudulent intentions "walking away with money"

and "journalists" still wonder why everyone blames them as being bought out publisher shils?

Yeah. Media is joke, Chris Roberts is right. The good thing is he doesn't need media and he doesn't need publishers.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

He's just angry because the media isn't fawning over his long-delayed dogfighting module as much as he would like. I guarantee if the 'sensationalist' media were touting it as the best thing since sliced bread, he wouldn't be complaining about it. Yet because he's being taken to task for failing to deliver what was promised even after a lengthy delay, he's throwing a temper tantrum and threatening to pull the media equivalent of pulling up the ladder to his tree house and sticking a 'No Girls (Media) Allowed' sign on the front.

While he makes a point, he destroys his own credibility buy using the exact same methods.

Pretty much agree with this.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• Yoda_CloneYoda_Clone Member Posts: 219

I think a very high percentage of us have no faith whatsoever in the media since their integrity is essentially bought and sold on the basis of advertising dollars.  MMORPG.com is no exception; in fact, they are more obviously compromised than most.

For someone like Chris Roberts to speak out against the media is more than just commendable; it is an outstanding salute to the man's principles.  The media will ultimately be the pipeline for advertising, yet he has the courage to call a spade a spade.

I haven't been following the game, but he just made a sale.  Honest men make good products; liars make crap and then try to sell it with marketing hype.

so many  publisher shills around the web who are scared to lose their jobs

badmouthing the biggest crowdfunding game success in history is full of WIN.

They sooo hope for the moment they can tell you

"Look how game crowdfunding is baaaad.. dear game studios don't talk to your fans for money, talk to us, your friendly publisher, so we can suck your revenue dry !"

Originally posted by DocBrody

so many scared publisher shills around the web who are scared to lose their jobs

badmouthing the biggest crowdfunding game success in history is full of WIN.

They sooo hope for the moment they can tell you

"Look how game crowdfunding is baaaad.. dear game studios don't talk to your fans for money, talk to us, your friendly publisher, so we can suck your revenue dry !"

It's not even remotely a success till the entire game is released in full. Until then, Star Citizen remains with every other crowdfunded MMO that has tried and failed: I'll believe it when I see it.

I hope they do succeed, because that would give me hope for Camelot Unchained coming to fruition. But as of yet, not a single crowdfunded MMO has done well or even made ripples in the industry imo.

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462

[mod edit]

CIG has been keeping everybody informed constantly as to their progress on game development.  There are several Youtube shows dedicated to doing exactly this.  You mentioned that CIG hasn't been honest about 'bad issues.   The whole idea behind releasing the game in modules was to continually generate revenue.  When the amount of revenue greatly exceeded their expectations, the Dogfighting Module was delayed to 'do it right' so to speak.  They've been quite open as to how that module progressed and kept people well informed about bugs and timeline schedules.

You state that development needs to be 'truly open'.  I completely disagree.  There are a number of things CIG is developing that is proprietary and needs to remain secret.  There's absolutely no need to report every single bump along the road that pops up.  This is not a publicly traded company and they are under no obligation to have to open themselves up to such scrutiny.  People like myself gave money in good faith and it we get screwed, there is no recourse.  That is the nature of crowd funding and almost half a million of us are willing to extend our trust to Chris Roberts and his company.

The real problem here is you the media.  Reporters like you constantly create articles that are deliberately skewed due to the fact that the people you are writing about are the ones purchasing advertisements. [mod edit]

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

This is my problem with the media.

Developer comes along talking about a game. Media hypes game beyond belief, then the game is decent or mediocre and the fans destroy the developers because it didn't match the media hype.

Chris is right. The media is about getting clicks for ad revenue, meaning that the topic has to be interesting.  Realism sometimes flies out the window in exchange for clicks.

Originally posted by Dakirn

Developer comes along talking about a game. Media hypes game beyond belief, then the game is decent or mediocre and the fans destroy the developers because it didn't match the media hype.

Chris is right. The media is about getting clicks for ad revenue, meaning that the topic has to be interesting.  Realism sometimes flies out the window in exchange for clicks.

It's been a long day. I totally read a different word for "clicks".

Originally posted by Aeonblades

chicks?

Originally posted by Aeonblades

chicks?

Chicks indeed. Oh man I just realized that could have been taken as another word too. Mondays, I'm telling you.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

"could potentially walk away right now in the black and there’s not a thing anyone could do about it.   So, yeah"

->>>>

yeah, this is bullshit sensationalism

No, that's the truth. He very well could walk away with the money; as it stands now there's very little legal action anybody could take, although that's beginning to change.

it is also vitriolic insinuation of CIG having fraudulent intentions "walking away with money"

They're not insinuating anything. They're simply presenting a hypothetical scenario. You're seeing what you want to see rather than what's actually there, and creating your own 'sensationalism' by making ridiculous and unfounded accusations.

and "journalists" still wonder why everyone blames them as being bought out publisher shils?

Yeah. Media is joke, Chris Roberts is right. The good thing is he doesn't need media and he doesn't need publishers.

And yet if it were not for that very same media, I guarantee CIG would not have reached the level of funding which it currently has. He may not need it now that his goal has been achieved, but he certainly did need it prior to that accomplishment.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by Yoda_Clone

I think a very high percentage of us have no faith whatsoever in the media since their integrity is essentially bought and sold on the basis of advertising dollars.  MMORPG.com is no exception; in fact, they are more obviously compromised than most.

For someone like Chris Roberts to speak out against the media is more than just commendable; it is an outstanding salute to the man's principles.  The media will ultimately be the pipeline for advertising, yet he has the courage to call a spade a spade.

I haven't been following the game, but he just made a sale.  Honest men make good products; liars make crap and then try to sell it with marketing hype.

QFT right here.

That said, this is the biggest money KS/crowdfunded project yet, so there is going to be higher expectations and more scrutiny with this project and not all of it from the so-called media. That is just a fact.

That said, so called "games journalism" isn't journalism, that requires ethics.

The gaming press is nothing more than a hype machine and review factory for the paying gaming publishers.

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    LOL this could be a metalsucks.com article. Well played, mmorpg.com :P

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• Geebus80Geebus80 Member Posts: 92

As far as most gamers are concerned you media people are all bought and paid for by w/e company throws money at you.

Dont blame others for criticizing you for selling out, we cant trust you to be unbiased, we cant trust you to disseminate valid information and we cant trust you to tell us good from bad in articles.

So please tell us again why telling the truth is wrong?