Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO's ground breaking combat has moved the genre forward. It's the best on the market.

Comments

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by BailoPan15
    Originally posted by bcbully

ESO has the most innovative and visceral combat on the market, action combat.  The non skill combat system is what sets ESO apart from WoW, GW2, and WS.  

The ability to change what is an auto attack in the games above into a player controlled system is brilliant. The player is in charge of how hard he swings, how fast he swings, when he swings, and the direction of the swing. Couple that with being able to block incoming attacks, interrupt and even stun W/O ever using a skill on your skill bar is ground breaking. The blood, the impact, the creativity has left me saying HELL YEAH many a night. I even once heard someone yelling "WARGASIM" after a huge 100 v 100 push, and I knew what he meant.

The flip side is that there is a steep learning curve. 2 months in with countless hours played and with all my past mmorpg experience, I feel that I have just began to approach the skill cap of my class. Combat in ESO is harsh and challenging. It's enough to keep me, a sandbox pvpr interested in this quest centric thempark mmorpg. 

The Combat, The skill system and Cyrodiil are worth the price of admission. If you love pvp like I do, and have not played, you are missing the party of the year.

I thought you were just a overreacting fanboy forum protector but it appears you are also blind...

If you are not blind, I want to know what drugs are you taking and can I have some xD 

Whats your favorite mmo

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Fact is that ESO has a tab targeting system, soft targeting is just a cover phrase. It's not a action combat mmo. Go play games like Dark Souls or mount and blade and you will soon realise that ESO is not action combat.

Tera and NWNO does it better.

Have a box of tissues on me OP lol.

I'll say this till another takes it place but IMO Neverwinter has the best action combat in the genre. 

I've dived back into NW to look at Mod3 - Icewind Dale.

If we are just talking about the combat system, then I'd agree NW is one of the best out there using the soft target style. I'd say Tera is also near the top.

I couldn't really judge ESO's combat as the US->EU lag wrecked any kind of fast reaction play for me.

• BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by JudgeUK
    Originally posted by azzamasin
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Fact is that ESO has a tab targeting system, soft targeting is just a cover phrase. It's not a action combat mmo. Go play games like Dark Souls or mount and blade and you will soon realise that ESO is not action combat.

Tera and NWNO does it better.

Have a box of tissues on me OP lol.

I'll say this till another takes it place but IMO Neverwinter has the best action combat in the genre. 

I've dived back into NW to look at Mod3 - Icewind Dale.

If we are just talking about the combat system, then I'd agree NW is one of the best out there using the soft target style. I'd say Tera is also near the top.

I couldn't really judge ESO's combat as the US->EU lag wrecked any kind of fast reaction play for me.

Erhmagherd are they still keeping the EU servers in the US?  

If thats the case i suppose some Europeans are really stupid paying for this kind of "service". One thing I hate the most in my online games is the lag. I pay premium for my internet connection and I expect quality server service. 

Makes sense why the EU introduced bunch of retarded laws lately. It's because people around here can't take care of themselves and bend a knee to whoever asks for it. I don't want to live on this planet anymore o_o

• DemrocksDemrocks Member UncommonPosts: 136

The bads from ESO are overwhelming compared to many other mmo's.

Specialy mmo's that require you to pay a box price + sub.....

Even on High end machines like mine this mmo has so strange feel to it and doesnt feel fluid like any other tripple A mmo.

If we can even call ESO that....Zenimax completely failed to produce a good mmo in my humble opinion.

So the bads from my point of vieuw !

Animations

Clunky combat

Weapon swap delays

High ping for us EU folks

Cyrodill constand lag and freezes

Softcaps on everything

Lazy veteran rank design

Horrible engine unless you use ESO launcher + sweetfx so you can turn off the console fog and smooth out the crap that is inside this console port mmo.

Boring quests for weeks on end.......

My nightblade still not fixed 3 months post launch.......unless i equip a staff instead of a bow.........the irony of a woodelf born with bow in hand that does shit damage...

The list could go on for days on end about how bad ESO realy is.....

But lets compare ESO combat to Black Desert for a sec and look what is more exciting to play :)

@Demrocks idk if Black Desert is the savior of MMO combat it certainly looks promising but It was awhile ago I stopped believing trailers and hype. For what we have on the market today, ESO is at the bottom of the pit IMO. It brings nothing next-gen, the animators didn't do their job right, whoever thought EU server located in the US is funny is a moron with a capital M. 

And yeah TESO's veteran system seems tacked on just like Diablo 3's paragon system. Give 'em grind while we figure what the fuck we want to do with our IP, such gameplay. 

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Groundbreaking combat huh? You do know that ESO combat is just TES combat, and TES combat is itself not THAT great of a combat system in how it performs. I'm sorry, but you can claim HOW they do skills and the like is great, but in its raw form ESO combat isn't that good, and is actually rather 'meh' do to having to go along with what TES does, and it suffers for it.
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    i think OP forgot add to end; /sarcasm off
  • KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    I found the combat absolutly boaring as hell. Id take tab targeting over teso pos anyday.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

ESO has the most innovative and visceral combat on the market, action combat.  The non skill combat system is what sets ESO apart from WoW, GW2, and WS.  

The ability to change what is an auto attack in the games above into a player controlled system is brilliant. The player is in charge of how hard he swings, how fast he swings, when he swings, and the direction of the swing. Couple that with being able to block incoming attacks, interrupt and even stun W/O ever using a skill on your skill bar is ground breaking. The blood, the impact, the creativity has left me saying HELL YEAH many a night. I even once heard someone yelling "WARGASIM" after a huge 100 v 100 push, and I knew what he meant.

The flip side is that there is a steep learning curve. 2 months in with countless hours played and with all my past mmorpg experience, I feel that I have just began to approach the skill cap of my class. Combat in ESO is harsh and challenging. It's enough to keep me, a sandbox pvpr interested in this quest centric thempark mmorpg. 

The Combat, The skill system and Cyrodiil are worth the price of admission. If you love pvp like I do, and have not played, you are missing the party of the year.

I agree wholeheartedly, but unfortunately, it seems that the majority of potential PVP'ers in ESO never spent enough time on the combat mechanics to fully appreciate its subtleties. They were either too busy racing to "beat the game" before the sub kicked-in or were trying to grind to VR10 before even trying to PVP (because "unless you're max level you're useless").

Besides, most people would have initially tried to play ESO combat just like other MMO's, i.e. unload all your "specials" as fast and efficiently as possible and then wait for them to come off-of cooldown so that you can continue the rotation...

• Sector13Sector13 Member UncommonPosts: 784
    MapleStory did action combat better then ESO. Vindictus' combat is still the best in the action combat category. 
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Is ESO as groundbreaking as SWTOR and AoW are? You seem to be heading from one "groundbreaking" MMO to the next, never finding one worth sticking around in for more than a year. Will ESO be any different?

imageimage
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO
    Is ESO as groundbreaking as SWTOR and AoW are? You seem to be heading from one "groundbreaking" MMO to the next, never finding one worth sticking around in for more than a year. Will ESO be any different?

He's actually the TSW guy. I can't remember him ever supporting SWTOR. I remember him being fairly insulting toward TSW within the last few months though. I expect that's what we'll see with this game in a year or so as well.

Edit: It would be pretty awesome to find out he thought SWTOR was the best thing since sliced bread as well though.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Of all the "action" MMO's on the market, i found Blade & Soul to be the best combat wise.  

It wasn't as clunky as ESO and I wasn't rooted to the ground every second like Tera.

Unfortunately it was lacking in content and i believe still is.

• DemrocksDemrocks Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

I agree wholeheartedly, but unfortunately, it seems that the majority of potential PVP'ers in ESO never spent enough time on the combat mechanics to fully appreciate its. They were either too busy racing to "beat the game" before the sub kicked-in or were trying to grind to VR10 before even trying to PVP (because "unless you're max level you're useless").

Besides, most people would have initially tried to play ESO combat just like other MMO's, i.e. unload all your "specials" as fast and efficiently as possible and then wait for them to come off-of cooldown so that you can continue the rotation...

I play with a gaming community for the last decade :)

We have all sortws of players in our community ! 

Tons of events for both side's !

We played like every wel desgined mmo and still play WoW / SWTOR / GW2  !

We lasted 3 weeks in ESO before pulling the plug.

This mmo abused the Elders Scroll IP name and left a sour taste trough our mouth.

Zenimax delivered a shamefull mmo, and Matt Frior should be ashamed......this whole studio should be ashamed.

in our minds ESO needed at least 6 to 9 months more developement to even be considered a beta client.

And what happens if you release an mmo in bad shape ? Warhammer Online !! ?

Even the name Elders Scrolls wont save this tittle.

Curious to see current subs left 3 months in.

Watchdogs for example already released their sales ! 4 million, totaly diffrent game ! but proud about their sales.

Zenimax ? what did they sold ? oh ! better keep it a secret so people dont mock our sales !

Thats the only reason they havent released their sales yet.....from start to finish this mmo was doomed to fail with a bad studio named Zenimax.

Sorry to be so negative people, but we are so disapointed :(

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

It is astonishing how many posters who have replied here have not addressed the issue of TESOs combat, or gone on to tell us what MMO has better combat.

Instead they saw the word 'best' in the thread and just came on for another negative rant.

A few have mentioned some games which had better combat, my favourite was 'Mount and Blade', it is not even a MMO! :D

So I throw down the gauntlet, what MMO has a better combat system? I am a fan of TERA myself and put it on a par with TESO. Apart from that I don't think you can match TESO for combat. 

Originally posted by Scot

It is astonishing how many posters who have replied here have not addressed the issue of TESOs combat, or gone on to tell us what MMO has better combat.

Instead they saw the word 'best' in the thread and just came on for another negative rant.

A few have mentioned some games which had better combat, my favourite was 'Mount and Blade', it is not even a MMO! :D

So I throw down the gauntlet what MMO has a better combat system? I am a fan of TERA myself and put it on a par with TESO. Apart from that I don't think you can match TESO for combat. 

It's likely because the statement is so ridiculous. The clunk is fairly amazing with this one. Balance is awful. Skills don't respond sometimes. Switching weapons doesn't respond sometimes. It's an example of below average MMORPG combat, not the combat that will move the genre forward. The assertion that it's the best on the market is so ridiculous that many people just prefer not to even post in it since it's more interesting to see what happens with it. The claims are so ludicrous and more importantly biased that it's almost more interesting to see how it develops.

It's like watching someone claim Chica's Chicken and Waffles has the best chicken ever in the history of chicken that it will change the way chicken is done forever. Laughable is an understatement in that case.

• OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548

Tab target? lol...   If it were largely tab-target I wouldn't be able to kill players way higher than me only using melee skills.... it's possible to be a melee character. It just requires skill. LOS. Dodging. Blocking.    

To the guy above me:

-Weapon swap and skills don't work while you're holding sprint.

-Weapon Swap and skills don't work in the middle of using another skill.

If people realized this and stopped frantically pressing buttons they will always swap weapons and always have skills work. Once you figure out how to play the combat has the most depth of any themepark. Not sure about Tera, but definitely WS. WS is only fluid because it doesn't penalize you for rampant button mashing. I want a game that DOES. It's a lot harder to calmly choose skills and attack.

Originally posted by Orious

Tab target? lol...   If it were largely tab-target I wouldn't be able to kill players way higher than me only using melee skills.... it's possible to be a melee character. It just requires skill. LOS. Dodging. Blocking.    

To the guy above me:

-Weapon swap and skills don't work while you're holding sprint.

-Weapon Swap and skills don't work in the middle of using another skill.

If people realized this and stopped frantically pressing buttons they will always swap weapons and always have skills work. Once you figure out how to play the combat has the most depth of any themepark. Not sure about Tera, but definitely WS. WS is only fluid because it doesn't penalize you for rampant button mashing. I want a game that DOES. It's a lot harder to calmly choose skills and attack.

Yeah, I understand how it works (and doesn't). I think there are many, many MMORPGs that have far more depth than ESO however. And I think it's funny that you believe that ESO literally has the most combat depth out of any themepark MMORPG ever. It is really funny to me to be honest.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Originally posted by Scot

So I throw down the gauntlet, what MMO has a better combat system? I am a fan of TERA myself and put it on a par with TESO. Apart from that I don't think you can match TESO for combat. 

Tera far surpasses ESO combat.

I'd take TERA and Gw2's combat any second of the year compared to TESO. Yeah yeah Gw2 is tab based and TERA is reticle based, just like TESO. What most of you probably don't know is that Gw2 attacks work without targets and if the combat mechanics are properly used, you become awesome. At least for the more streamlined classes/builds

I wonder how many of you saying that Gw2 has a bad combat and "still login every now and then" have actually reached and defeated Liadri on their own without reading any "HOWTO" guide :) What about soloing Lupicus in purely melee or purely ranged? What about soloing the bosses from the halloween events? Since all of you are such great players and skilled MMOers why don't you accomplish that before granting us your opinion? :) 

And I don't consider myself elite. Imagine what the Gw2's elite is achieving. And you come here and claim that TESO has a great combat based on player skill. Pf...I take my words back, I'd prefer playing Neverwinter...

And do not make excuses of the kind that this is close to skyrim's combat, just freaking no. Accept the fact that Matt Firor and Co has failed and let you down, like so many of us. Maybe they'll fix it when you finally acknowledge that it's a static turd

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703

Not as OT as it might seem, but this weekend I had a guest pass for Wildstar and I tried it a couple days: what a jarring experience. If you like TESO, playing something so flat and archaic as WS is... horrible.

Combat is very clunky (supposed to be action combat but you have to look around with right button), and deep down it's WoW combat with telegraphs, the world is very static and after TESO seems empty.

I really don't understand how people can like that kind of play but unicuique suum I suppose.

BTW, WS forums seem a repeat of all MMO forums at launch, with the same things people always complain about, go heck it out

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703

I'd take TERA and Gw2's combat any second of the year compared to TESO. Yeah yeah Gw2 is tab based and TERA is reticle based, just like TESO. What most of you probably don't know is that Gw2 attacks work without targets and if the combat mechanics are properly used, you become awesome. At least for the more streamlined classes/builds

I wonder how many of you saying that Gw2 has a bad combat and "still login every now and then" have actually reached and defeated Liadri on their own without reading any "HOWTO" guide :) What about soloing Lupicus in purely melee or purely ranged? What about soloing the bosses from the halloween events? Since all of you are such great players and skilled MMOers why don't you accomplish that before granting us your opinion? :) 

And I don't consider myself elite. Imagine what the Gw2's elite is achieving. And you come here and claim that TESO has a great combat based on player skill. Pf...I take my words back, I'd prefer playing Neverwinter...

And do not make excuses of the kind that this is close to skyrim's combat, just freaking no. Accept the fact that Matt Firor and Co has failed and let you down, like so many of us. Maybe they'll fix it when you finally acknowledge that it's a static turd

Why do I have to take your opinions over mine? Accept that what you think or feel about something is just your opinion and move on. TESO combat is easily the best of the series

But then I see you are a 'fanboy' of a dying game....

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Deathsmind
    If you think ESOs combat is amazing wait until you play MindCraft, the graphics and combat is revolutionary.

What is mindcraft?  Google gave me nothing.  Sounds like it could be cool though.

Originally posted by muthax

Why do I have to take your opinions over mine? Accept that what you think or feel about something is just your opinion and move on. TESO combat is easily the best of the series

But then I see you are a 'fanboy' of a dying game....

If Gw2 is a dying game TESO is dead and burried xD And I acknowledge the fact that you need to "defend" a product you pay monthly. I suppose its the same thing as if you go to watch a shitty movie at the cinema, pay extra for 3D and/or 3D glasses and it ends up a crap and you tell all your friends that its the best movie ever. Tell me, did you like Avatar? xD Do you consider it the best movie ever made? 

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    Yawn just another fanboy bashing other mmo's.

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.