Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO's ground breaking combat has moved the genre forward. It's the best on the market.

Comments

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

The original Darkfall Online had THE BEST combat of any MMO. Ever.

endThread();

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

There are a lot of MMOs with interesting combat -- and I found ESO to not be one of those MMOs.  At best you may have a soft target...  I think even wildstar one upped them with just about every ability requiring positioning, not to mention they do have defensive targeting which many games DON'T.

I still hold DCUO as the most fun combat I've ever played in an MMO,  but I also liked Tabular Rasa, and GW2 was on the right track, but some classes just didn't have ENOUGH combinations.   I already feel like my build in Wildstar for my esper is more diverse and I'm only level 14 on my esper and 13 on my medic.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

have to chime in to say if when I swing my sword at my target and I hit another target because they stepped in front of it. It is not a tab-target system.

The ability to soft lock does not make a system a tab-target system (typical MMO combat). It's a typical mechanic thrown into any action oriented combat system where you may be facing off against multiple foes. It's like calling The Arkham series of games tab-target systems.

I question whether some of the people who post here have ever played games outside of MMOs at times. It's like they know of nothing else to compare things to.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• CertheGreatCertheGreat Member UncommonPosts: 29

personally i think all mmo's should have combat like dc universe online but that's just my opinion

putting together combos to do with your weapon and and being able to activate powers at the same time along with blocking mechanics and block-breaker mechanics. it's really good stuff

• SonOfValmarSonOfValmar Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by bcbully

ESO has the most innovative and visceral combat on the market, action combat.  The non skill combat system is what sets ESO apart from WoW, GW2, and WS.  

The ability to change what is an auto attack in the games above into a player controlled system is brilliant. The player is in charge of how hard he swings, how fast he swings, when he swings, and the direction of the swing. Couple that with being able to block incoming attacks, interrupt and even stun W/O ever using a skill on your skill bar is ground breaking. The blood, the impact, the creativity has left me saying HELL YEAH many a night. I even once heard someone yelling "WARGASIM" after a huge 100 v 100 push, and I knew what he meant.

The flip side is that there is a steep learning curve. 2 months in with countless hours played and with all my past mmorpg experience, I feel that I have just began to approach the skill cap of my class. Combat in ESO is harsh and challenging. It's enough to keep me, a sandbox pvpr interested in this quest centric thempark mmorpg. 

The Combat, The skill system and Cyrodiil are worth the price of admission. If you love pvp like I do, and have not played, you are missing the party of the year.

Yea, you do not even understand what you are talking about. Being able to block without using a skill is neat, but what exactly does it add to the gameplay? How does it mesh with the actual skill system in ESO (yes, skills exist in ESO and so does a class system)? Does this "non skill" mechanic actually add anything better to the gameplay that using a skill to interrupt someone could not? You are in control of how you use your skills in games like WildStar and GW2 as well by the way. Giving the player control of their auto attacks and blocks is neat, but how exactly is that a definitive improvement over the "norm" in the genre? You have provided no evidence to support your hilarious thread title.

It is cool that you like ESO but please calm down with this nonsense. You did a good job of offering an advertisement for ESO that contained nothing but buzzwords, over the top descriptions of your experience, and very little else. You speak as if moving foward every MMO worth its salt should have the same combat as ESO, which is just foolish fanboyism at its worst.

• SonOfValmarSonOfValmar Member Posts: 49
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by superconducting

Want to know what held back ESO from becoming a critically acclaimed success?

It's not the box + subscription free which many were willing to look past,

It's not the bugs which are minor annoyances in the greater scheme of things,

It's not the phasing issues,

It's not the compromises they had to make to bring Elder Scrolls to an online space,

And it's certainly not the combat system which is actually very well done.

It's the OPEN WORLD experience. That's It.

They had a chance to make something great, and instead they ended up with something just good because they could not get the most defining feature of Elder Scrolls games right. The quest grind, on-rails experience, zone restrictions, less organic exploration - that's the stuff that's hurting them the most.

QFT! That you can take an Elder Scrolls game and not be able to do the open world feeling right, just shows the monemuntal of the failure which is ESO. It is just a decent game instead of Skyrim gone MMO.

Actually, what caused ESO to fail is a combination of many factors. It was never one thing that caused this MMO to tank, and going over each individual element of its failure would be too much for any one post on this forum.

I wanted ESO to be a good game because the genre could use more life. However, please do not think that ESO was one design decision away from being a great game. It only ever had a fleeting chance based on the studio hired to create the game.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by phoenix_genma_ken

i found wildstar combat better but thats just me

anw once black desert comes out it will put all the others mmos to shame combat wise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNZFlaSsA1Q

This puts Black desert combat to shame

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_j9uKBmUEk

Other than that I just dont see how Wildstar combat is better than ESO, its just too simple and it felt dumb that a normal attack like the slashes is taking up a space in the hotbar and having to click on that hotbar to do those normal attacks and at the same time moving my camera around, it did not feel intuitive as ESO.  Plus I couldnt control how strong my attack would be or block with my weapon and knocking/stunning them and such with it too.

• lunatiquezlunatiquez Member UncommonPosts: 381

lol, the first and groundbreaking, it's a sarcasm, right?

Have you forgot Blade & Soul?

Oh right, you haven't tried it, such a pity..

• DeathsmindDeathsmind Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by ElRenmazuo

anw once black desert comes out it will put all the others mmos to shame combat wise

Other than that I just dont see how Wildstar combat is better than ESO, its just too simple and it felt dumb that a normal attack like the slashes is taking up a space in the hotbar and having to click on that hotbar to do those normal attacks and at the same time moving my camera around, it did not feel intuitive as ESO.  Plus I couldnt control how strong my attack would be or block with my weapon and knocking/stunning them and such with it too.

Well theres your problem. You dont know how to play video games. Players dont click. That would be something an unskilled person would do, not a player.

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

I disagree. While I enjoyed the combat more or less, it wasn't ground breaking in my opinion. Honestly, the combat is rather similar to that of Guild Wars 2, except the combat was more restrictive due to less hotkeys. Also, the combat wasn't as smooth as GW2.

The only MMO I've seen that had combat I felt move the genre forward a bit was Vindictus. The game has action combat and it's very smooth. What it lacked though was a larger variety of abilities and hotkeys. TERA was quite close, but I wasn't fond of the animation locking.

This is partly why I'm looking so closely at Black Dessert cause it has exactly what I'd like to see in an MMO, and I hope it gets picked up by an NA/EU publisher ASAP. Anyways, the combat in ESO is not the best in the market, in my opinion anyways. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

Originally posted by inemosz

lol, the first and groundbreaking, it's a sarcasm, right?

Have you forgot Blade & Soul?

Oh right, you haven't tried it, such a pity..

I tried it, and it just looks pretty while you press the next corresponding button.  There was no challenge to it or any kind of tactical choices  The enemy doesnt even really get a chance to do anything because your just flipping him around the air majority of the time.  There was nothing innovative about it.

Here is an example of what I mean https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uj6buV8lBEY

Originally posted by Deathsmind

Well theres your problem. You dont know how to play video games. Players dont click. That would be something an unskilled person would do, not a player.

This is your best argument? Dude I been playing video games since atari and every genre there is, so dont come and tell me I dont know how to play video games.  In ESO I click with mouse and keystrokes all at the same time and change camera at the same time as well, thats whats called intuitive design.  And change between two different sets of weapon on the fly in the middle of combat with each set for a different role. Yea you know nothing about me.  And I kicked a lot of peoples assess in PvP in pretty much every mmo since Ultima Online even with just using nothing but mouse clicks. [mod edit]

This is your best argument? Dude I been playing video games since atari and every genre there is, so dont come and tell me I dont know how to play video games.  In ESO I click with mouse and keystrokes all at the same time and change camera at the same time as well, thats whats called intuitive design.  And change between two different sets of weapon on the fly in the middle of combat with each set for a different role. Yea you know nothing about me.  And I kicked a lot of peoples assess in PvP in pretty much every mmo since Ultima Online even with just using nothing but mouse clicks.  Ignorant elitist.

You might want to learn how to play then...Thats like trying to say you can keep up with starcraft players who are pushing 200+ actions per minute that you could keep up with them without using any keybinds...lol Its physically impossible. You will fall short and will never be as good as these players when you try and stay in your little bubble of thinking.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

This is your best argument? Dude I been playing video games since atari and every genre there is, so dont come and tell me I dont know how to play video games.  In ESO I click with mouse and keystrokes all at the same time and change camera at the same time as well, thats whats called intuitive design.  And change between two different sets of weapon on the fly in the middle of combat with each set for a different role. Yea you know nothing about me.  And I kicked a lot of peoples assess in PvP in pretty much every mmo since Ultima Online even with just using nothing but mouse clicks.  Ignorant elitist.

You might want to learn how to play then...Thats like trying to say you can keep up with starcraft players who are pushing 200+ actions per minute that you could keep up with them without using any keybinds...lol Its physically impossible. You will fall short and will never be as good as these players when you try and stay in your little bubble of thinking.

I think there is a misunderstanding here. It's not possible to be a "clicker" in ESO. Your mouse is coupled to your reticle. 

Have you played ESO?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

I never said I dont use keybinds.  In ESO your normal attacks and blocks are your left and right clicks and at the same time your camera movement while your keybinds are your skills.  Basically you have to use your mouse clicks and keybinds both at the same time.  On top of that is a movement heavy game as well so your always having to use wasd too very often to avoid enemy attacks. Im sure you feel very skilled in mmos or games where your character auto attacks for you.

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

ESO combat is better than standard tab targeting, but it leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion.

In my opinion, the combat in Neverwinter feels a lot better. Combat feels like it has weight. I can remember moments in Neverwinter where I would have my shield up and a monster hits me with a few heavy blows and it feels like that poor shield is taking a real beating and it is all that is separating me from life and death. Does Neverwinter have other issues? Sure, lots..but combat feels and sounds good.

TERA does combat well, but the questing is so freakin boring.

GW2 has lots of movement but feels so floaty, does not feel solid, and the monsters don't react much. Another thing is I think it has lots of sound issues. I know for me, combat sounds tend to cut out for some reason and I can't hear attacks landing etc.

I think there is a lot that goes into really satisfying combat..it needs good animation, impressive battle sounds, weight, motion, etc. Various games do certain aspects well, others don't.

I do like the combat in Neverwinter and TERA, I would play more of them if not for all of the other issues.

I think there is a misunderstanding here. It's not possible to be a "clicker" in ESO. Your mouse is coupled to your reticle. 

Have you played ESO?

If you read we were talking about WS...

I never said I dont use keybinds.  In ESO your normal attacks and blocks are your left and right clicks and at the same time your camera movement while your keybinds are your skills.  Basically you have to use your mouse clicks and keybinds both at the same time.  On top of that is a movement heavy game as well so your always having to use wasd too very often to avoid enemy attacks. Im sure you feel very skilled in mmos or games where your character auto attacks for you.

The games I play I have to be aware of 20-30 different actions at all times, the first half with me being a caster where there is no auto attack. Not 6. But I bet you feel skilled with those 6.

• BigbooBigboo Member Posts: 201

Its easy to understand that you havent played Eso. If you dont mouseclick in Eso, you die. Its simple as that, clicking is your attack and your defence.

Thats whats this thread is about, the combat.

----

----

• MsPtibiscuitMsPtibiscuit Member Posts: 164
    Originally posted by reeereee
    While I wouldn't go as far as the OP did, you have to give ESO some credit for going with a resource driven combat rather than the cooldown driven combat that every developer desperately trying to copy WoW goes for.

How did I miss that? This here is huge. There are no CDs in ESO. No "whack-a-mole" skill bar play.

Never understood why people think MMORPG should choose either CD or ressource management. GW had a ressource system, a CD system, and a time cast system, and it had probably the best PvP of all MMORPGs.

• STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290

First -  I crack up at the many people that somehow think ESO didn't work out and there's only a few that play it. Are you serious or too stupid to see it is a success. Even if it isn't "The Bestest". It IS a success and is getting better. Some of you people are like Coke drinkers that refuse to say Pepsi is good too.

Second - You people that act like the combat is bad or different or whatever. The combat is lie AN ES GAME morons! They added MMO elements to appease the brain dead MMO crowd, but it is like Skyrim whether you admit it or not. So if you have played other ES games...you know the combat. If not...then you have morons typing crap here like usual.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Fact is that ESO has a tab targeting system, soft targeting is just a cover phrase. It's not a action combat mmo. Go play games like Dark Souls or mount and blade and you will soon realise that ESO is not action combat.

Tera and NWNO does it better.

Have a box of tissues on me OP lol.

I'll say this till another takes it place but IMO Neverwinter has the best action combat in the genre. 

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Originally posted by Caldrin

ESO has the most innovative and visceral combat on the market, action combat.  The non skill combat system is what sets ESO apart from WoW, GW2, and WS.  

Can I please have some of those drugs as well :)

Hahahaha +1

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• symkesymke Member UncommonPosts: 17

ESO does have a combat system worthy of a praise. But only on paper. 

It's fast, active and requires some skill in positioning, skill management and tactics. On paper. 

It fails miserably in real life. Weapon swapping not working properly, skills failing to execute, CDs where there should be none, passives that sometimes work  or not, ...

The games I play I have to be aware of 20-30 different actions at all times, the first half with me being a caster where there is no auto attack. Not 6. But I bet you feel skilled with those 6.

You clearly never played ESO if you think 6 active skills is all you use in combat.  And spamming skills arent the only thing you have to do in its combat either.  You gotta be moving and blocking at the right moment, stunning and dazing the enemy at the right moment using your normal attacks, dodging massive damage attacks at the right moment, managing your resource pools wisely between stamina and magicka. Using the right kind of skills for the right kind of enemy because not all status effects work on every kind of enemy.  Swapping between weapon sets on the fly which is like changing your role in combat depending on how you set your skills for each weapon.  For example my greatsword is melee dps with mixed with some AoE spells and my other weapon is staff with long range AoE damage and status effects and sometimes a heal skill in case for support healing.

If you aint even played the game than anything you say doesnt have much credibility.  And I played Starcraft when I was a child online all the time, you act like games are such complicated things that takes so much skill or brain power, thats pretty sad.  Keybinding 200+ stuff isnt skill lol