Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Big drop in price?

Why did this game drop so fast in price? In went from $60 to $30?

Comments

• DeadlyneDeadlyne Member UncommonPosts: 232

Because Wildstar just came out.  Now there is some real competition.

Just to question the philosophy. Army of Socrates.

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814
    Loaded question much?
  • R_M_BR_M_B Member UncommonPosts: 42

Because $30 for a video game is a proper price and any thing above is just cash grab no matter how good a game is?

B)
  • NeithWeaverNeithWeaver Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Deadlyne

Pretty much this.  I remember not too long ago when people were saying WildStar wasn't worth it, and ESO was gonna stomp it.  Hm... times have changed.  For a "cartoony childs game", it's actually doing pretty well for itself.

I've been thinking of getting ESO, but I think I'll be playing WildStar before that.  Maybe in a few months, ESO will be F2P.  That way, I don't have to worry about paying for something that will inevitably go F2P.

When you look with your eyes- everything seems nice. But if you look twice, you can see it's all lies.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by thegoodgamer

Define your terms.  Quantitatively, what is  "so fast?"  Where is your database of other MMOs and their price drops vis-a-vis date of release?

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• NeithWeaverNeithWeaver Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Skooma2

Define your terms.  Quantitatively, what is  "so fast?"  Where is your database of other MMOs and their price drops vis-a-vis date of release?

Hm, I don't have the facts, so this might totally be wrong in some peoples eyes.  But isn't that a substantial drop for just releasing 2 months ago?

I mean, it took Secret World a year to drop the mandatory subs and just require a box price... which was still a full $60.00 USD.  I've only played so many MMO's... that's why I'm here, trying to find a new one.  But even Secret World didn't seem to have the "hype" ESO had. 

When you look with your eyes- everything seems nice. But if you look twice, you can see it's all lies.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

$10 at Wal Mart right now- Not sure if its nationwide or just our store...

My jaw hit the floor when I saw that... But I did.

EDIT- Their website still lists full retail. Just saw this though, seriously. So if you are looking to play it would be worth calling your local wal mart and asking. Its less than a sub for the month.

• reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by NeithFateWeaver

Pretty much this.  I remember not too long ago when people were saying WildStar wasn't worth it, and ESO was gonna stomp it.  Hm... times have changed.  For a "cartoony childs game", it's actually doing pretty well for itself.

I've been thinking of getting ESO, but I think I'll be playing WildStar before that.  Maybe in a few months, ESO will be F2P.  That way, I don't have to worry about paying for something that will inevitably go F2P.

ESO is not going f2p anytime soon, they still need to cash in on selling console boxes.

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by reeereee
    Originally posted by NeithFateWeaver

ESO is not going f2p anytime soon, they still need to cash in on selling console boxes.

I agree.

I think ESO did pretty well on bocx sales alone- Easily enough to make it to console release even with dwindling sub base.

I think F2P will happen after console release or B2P at console release at worst case.

• A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    So glad I canceled the pre order on Imperial Edition box during last days of beta. Tired of investing in games that are so thin in content that they 'die' just few months after release.
  • AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915

Yeah it seems that the standard physical copy is selling at (some) Walmart and Best Buy stores for $9.99. You would have to go (or call beforehand) to the store to see if they have it at that price... you aren't going to see it advertised online at that price.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Qt0dxu1Ey68J:forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/108592/teso-selling-for-9-99-at-walmart+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox-a

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discussion/108612/10-buys-you-what

http://www.ownedcore.com/forums/elder-scrolls-online/elder-scrolls-online-exploits/478686-teso-10-best-buy-walmart-may-have-three-new-glitches-try-out.html

In that last link it seems someone bought 37 copies at that price! The Walmart near where I live is still selling it at full price (both the standard and the "Walmart standard" edition). So it seems it isn't at all of the stores. I'll go check Best Buy tomorrow.

With that said, the price is now around @24.99 at Amazon. Funny how someone on the official forums stated that "If you get upset because a product you paid full price for happens to go on sale... you're going to spend the rest of your adult life upset."

Yeah we get that most games do eventually go on sale... that isn't what is in question... but rather at how quickly the price dropped for such a new game.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,818

Unlike a B2P where you can keep the box price high a P2P will drop of quickly. If someone wants to present evidence that TESO is dropping of faster or slower than average then fine. If not I think it is fare to say its dropping at an average rate.

Most stores like Walmart are allowed to set their own price, so I would not be surprised if you found a copy for 2$ if they wanted to get rid of old stock. In gaming 'old stock' means last months release.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703

Yeah and you can get Wildstar for about 31 euro... maybe that game is dying already? You know, such a discount after 2 days from launch eh eh eh

ESO haters, entertaining da internet since january 2014....

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Because Zenimax have already made so much money off ESO sales and subs that they decided to drop the box price drastically "as a service to the public" ! image

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Scot

Unlike a B2P where you can keep the box price high a P2P will drop of quickly. If someone wants to present evidence that TESO is dropping of faster or slower than average then fine. If not I think it is fare to say its dropping at an average rate.

Most stores like Walmart are allowed to set their own price, so I would not be surprised if you found a copy for 2$ if they wanted to get rid of old stock. In gaming 'old stock' means last months release.

Well, that is true and P2Ps main income is monthly fees after all but it still is a little bit too early to be a good sign. It do mean that they are selling very few boxes right now which mean few new players.

I agree that a faster lowering of box sales indicates fewer new punters, but what are we comparing TESO to here? SWTOR is the last P2P that springs to mind. FF had the relaunch and everything but you still might be able to make a comparison there. But unless we see a comparison it does not tell us that much. Maybe WS will offer one in a couple of months time.
  • Alka_SetzerAlka_Setzer Member UncommonPosts: 167

The only other game I saw that had massive price drops incredibly fast in recent memory is Defiance. I think within a year or half a year the price was already over 50% off the original, later on towards the end of the year it was about 10 dollars or so.

But yeah, I don't even think Defiance dropped this fast and hard.

• ChicagoCubChicagoCub Member UncommonPosts: 381

I'd call it a market correction.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977

Didnt they say that if you buy PC version you will be able to transfer to console?

So if PC version costs 30$ (with potential further drops before console launch) how do they plan to sell 60$ console versions to bank on that?

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Originally posted by Malabooga

Didnt they say that if you buy PC version you will be able to transfer to console?

So if PC version costs 30$ (with potential further drops before console launch) how do they plan to sell 60$ console versions to bank on that?

Good point.

The press release simply said anyone who had activated a PC account by the end of June would be able to transfer. And I am sure they will welcome back lapsed subscribers - as they would have to take out a new sub. Still if it can be bought for $10 then $10 + $15 for the sub would still be a cheaper. At $30 the alternative would be to wait until the console version dropped in price - which would come with the 30 days as well of course.

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839

Originally posted by NeithWeaver

Originally posted by Deadlyne Because Wildstar just came out.  Now there is some real competition.

So did ESO in it's first month. Wildstar will be the same. After month number 2, the Wildstar hype will die like ESO's did.

Not one is better than the other. They just have the bad luck of coming out at the same time.

Both games are great, with yes, Wildstar looking like a looney toons cartoon.

BTW what makes you think Wildstar won't go F2P?

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    Because now they are in direct competition with The Old Republic for Walmart box sales.
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

At the end of it, ESO is just another average game, in a long line of average MMOs running back 8 years or more.

They are cutting the price to reflect that.

Now that it is well know what ESO is and is not, there is no way they can keep getting $60 for it.

Why on earth would someone who has played ESO on a PC want to play it on a console? I find the idea quite perverse. :)
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Originally posted by Scot
    Why on earth would someone who has played ESO on a PC want to play it on a console? I find the idea quite perverse. :)

Because ESO is largely designed around being on a console and that is comfortable for many players. Some people enjoy playing their consoles, sitting in a couch and relaxing with what an MMORPG can offer. The game was largely built around a casual audience and consoles are the perfect platform for casual gameplay.