Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions about WildStar's gameplay

BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410

Hey there!

I'm considering buying this game to check it out! But I have a tiny list of gameplay questions before I do so. I admit I didn't have the time to check out BETA even though it was open the past 2 weeks. 

From all the videos I have seen, the ranged fight is cool, you aim you shoot you kill, but how is the melee combat being done? Am I locked into place while using a skill, be it a normal attack or something else (both ranged and melee). 

Also I see that the game is heavy on enemy telegraphing much like Guild Wars 2 a game that I love so its not really a problem to me. Can I dodge? And if yes how does the dodging works when the shit hits the fan? Is it like Gw2's - a moment of invulnerability - I have to actually step out of the impending attack or damages me even halfway through my dodge?

Unlike TESO, I read that the EU servers are located in EU, how's the ping/skill lag even on populated servers? 

Is the crafting system more like Gw2's one or its some RNG based/minigame based bullshit? (no need to feed me your opinion if you dont consider RNG bullshit, I've had enough of it in Lineage 2) 

And a question that some of you may laugh at, but after Gw2 I don't see me playing another game without this feature...how is the jumping and the jumping animations? Lets say to me Gw2's jumping is a 10/10 , how would you rate WildStar's jumping :U (yes fuck me right, I love those jumping puzzles) 

On the grouping side, What is the maximum limit of a single group? I usually play with my girlfriend and her alone, do you think we can reach "endgame" just the 2 of us if we drop 2-3 hours per day? If the party is capped at 5 (like Gw2) that's okay too I guess.

I also hope there is no phasing, and I also hope that I can come back and help my girlfriend in an instanced quest (kinda like I used to join her in her personal story in Guild Wars 2) 

I hear there is trinity in this game(bleh) is it heavily enforced pre level 50 (which i udnerstand is the max) or if we go healer/dps or tank/dps we'll get just fine? 

Other question I have is guilds. Can I multi-guild like in TESO/Gw2 or I'm limitted to 1 guild only? 

Also the last thing that comes to mind, if we join a PvP server (we like to PvP in Gw2, being members of wvw and spvp heavy guilds) how is the pvp being done. I understand there are 2 factions, and in PvP server I suppose its open world pvp with no punishment/karma system, who can I kill? Can I attack people from my faction, or as long as I'm around my people I'm fine? 

Woah, that became some list. I probably have more questions but those are the first that come to mind. Thanks in advance for answering

Comments

• BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410
    Bump :? 
  • TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317

It is active combat and very responsive.  Most skills can be used on the fly although the Esper has some that fix you.  You do not get locked into combat animations. 

Dodging is double tap and again very responsive with minimal server lag.  As you said moves are telegraphed.  

You can double jump and the animations are slick.  

The combat feels far more responsive and dynamic than GW2.  

Guilds, crafting etc are all pretty standard fair and WOW would probably be my closest comparison (unsurprisingly).  

And yes it is trinity based.  

The main problems with the game are massive memory leakage and poor optimisation for AMD cards which can cause low fps.  

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    5 people in group .Servers up sorry going to play now.
    Chamber of Chains
  • hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    i can verify it runs well for nvidia cards.  Even on my crap laptop with a GT 640m it runs well.  
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by BailoPan15

Simplest way to describe the game:

It's Vanilla WoW, updated & in space, with dumbed down GW2-style combat.

If you liked oldschool WoW, but want a new game to play, you'll probably like Wildstar.

If you kinda liked GW2's combat, but felt it was too chaotic, you'll probably like Wildstar.

Yes, there is dodging, and double jumping, and space mounts. Structured raiding, battlegrounds, etc. etc.

The combat is much more telegraphed than GW2's (nearly everything is telegraphed in the game).

- While there are some skills that root you inplace (both melee and ranged), the majority of the skills can be used on the move.

Hope that helps

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

Yes it a has a certain WoW Vanilla feeling to it.

It's certainly not combat, or setting.

I can't really put my finger on it. it's not the cartoony graphics. To me the graphics look much more like TF2.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by jazz.be

Yes it a has a certain WoW Vanilla feeling to it.

It's certainly not combat, or setting.

I can't really put my finger on it. it's not the cartoony graphics. To me the graphics look much more like TF2.

i've only played to level 3 so far but it reminds me of a mix of DCUO and early WOW

for atmosphere and playstyle

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by TheQuietGamer

Guilds, crafting etc are all pretty standard fair and WOW would probably be my closest comparison (unsurprisingly). 

Crafting is not standard.

You learn recipes through an achievement tree of sorts (as well as drops).

You can influence the stats on an item as well, but its not particularly deep.

Its a huge step up from WoW or Rift, but its not amazing either.

Oh and it uses a separate crafting inventory like GW2.  Not sure why this isnt standard yet.

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    Combat is extremely responsive - that is uncommon for mmorpgs. Your not stuck in place. Telegraphs actually keep you on your toes, at first I thought they were silly but when you find yourself fighting a powerful enemy and you think you just picked up on its techniques and suddenly it throws a wrench or two in, you will find yourself saying "what the heck" as you scramble to stay alive or out of harms way. Under water movement and combat is the most fluid and responsive of any game I have played. Double jumping and dodging satisfies my adhd sensors, running while holding shift to speed up is something I do in every game now even though they don't have the mechanics Wildstar does. Freestyle hover boarding and trying to make ridiculous jumps also feeds my adhd sensors as well. Fights are fun, you will die, but that makes eventual victory all the more sweeter
  • ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

From all the videos I have seen, the ranged fight is cool, you aim you shoot you kill, but how is the melee combat being done? Am I locked into place while using a skill, be it a normal attack or something else (both ranged and melee). 

Melee is just as mobile as ranged. Some skills do lock you into place, but these are a trade-off decision: do I think I can survive at this spot for 2.5 seconds to cast, or should I use my less powerful mobile skill and keep moving?

Also I see that the game is heavy on enemy telegraphing much like Guild Wars 2 a game that I love so its not really a problem to me. Can I dodge? And if yes how does the dodging works when the shit hits the fan? Is it like Gw2's - a moment of invulnerability - I have to actually step out of the impending attack or damages me even halfway through my dodge?

Dodges =/= invulnerability. I still have to get used to this, too. Dodging is more a sudden burst of speed, in that it moves you faster, but if you are in the red it won't spare you the damage.

Unlike TESO, I read that the EU servers are located in EU, how's the ping/skill lag even on populated servers? 

I'm playing in NA, so no idea about EU pings.

Is the crafting system more like Gw2's one or its some RNG based/minigame based bullshit? (no need to feed me your opinion if you dont consider RNG bullshit, I've had enough of it in Lineage 2) 

Both mini-games and GW2-like, 100% successful crafting. You can try to make items a little more powerful with a chance to fail the craft. Mini-games mostly to discover recipes.

And a question that some of you may laugh at, but after Gw2 I don't see me playing another game without this feature...how is the jumping and the jumping animations? Lets say to me Gw2's jumping is a 10/10 , how would you rate WildStar's jumping :U (yes fuck me right, I love those jumping puzzles) 

I loved the JPs in GW2, too. Mad King's Clocktower FTW. I'd seriously say Wildstar's jumping is 11/10 due to the double jump. Animations are great!

On the grouping side, What is the maximum limit of a single group? I usually play with my girlfriend and her alone, do you think we can reach "endgame" just the 2 of us if we drop 2-3 hours per day? If the party is capped at 5 (like Gw2) that's okay too I guess.

Pretty sure you can do all open world stuff with just 2, except the zone boss stuff. That's like 20-30 people. Think dragon events in GW2. Shiphand missions are also great to solo. You'll need 5 for adventures and dungeons.

I also hope there is no phasing, and I also hope that I can come back and help my girlfriend in an instanced quest (kinda like I used to join her in her personal story in Guild Wars 2) 

There is some phasing, I think mostly for the main story quest? Enemies seem to persist through the phases, though they may turn neutral towards you. You can still attack them.

I hear there is trinity in this game(bleh) is it heavily enforced pre level 50 (which i udnerstand is the max) or if we go healer/dps or tank/dps we'll get just fine? 

For open world stuff it's not that important. One DPS and one healer will help, but 2 DPS should be just as good. For 5-man content you will want a tank and a healer, though.

Other question I have is guilds. Can I multi-guild like in TESO/Gw2 or I'm limitted to 1 guild only? 

Eh, no idea.

Also the last thing that comes to mind, if we join a PvP server (we like to PvP in Gw2, being members of wvw and spvp heavy guilds) how is the pvp being done. I understand there are 2 factions, and in PvP server I suppose its open world pvp with no punishment/karma system, who can I kill? Can I attack people from my faction, or as long as I'm around my people I'm fine? 

2 factions. Your own faction is allied, you can duel though. Open world PvP kicks in around level 25 I think, in a zone where both faction play. I suppose you can walk into the lower end zones, though level 60 NPC guards will probably discourage some of that.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by aesperus

If you liked oldschool WoW, but want a new game to play, you'll probably like Wildstar.

If you kinda liked GW2's combat, but felt it was too chaotic, you'll probably like Wildstar.

Yes, there is dodging, and double jumping, and space mounts. Structured raiding, battlegrounds, etc. etc.

The combat is much more telegraphed than GW2's (nearly everything is telegraphed in the game).

- While there are some skills that root you inplace (both melee and ranged), the majority of the skills can be used on the move.

Hope that helps

This post hit's it pretty spot on. It plays and feels like Vanilla WoW, with a less responsive version of GW2/ESO's action combat. It has the same problem of GW2 where you mainly use 2-3 skills in a spam rotation with the occasional support/oh crap skills.

The jumping puzzles do exist, and they were kind of a pain due to the amount of sliding your character's movement produces. It takes some getting used to, but Wildstar is definitely a fun game and anyone with a background in GW2 and WoW will find it pretty fun, I know I have been having quite a bit of fun playing it. See you in game hopefully :)

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

There is a dodge mechanic that works similarly to GW2's in the sense that if you double tap one direction you can dodge up to two times in a row. There is a passive attribute that you can boost in order to make your dodge recharge timer go faster. Unlike in GW2, dodge is not an infallible way to avoid getting hit with damage. You can use it to get out of the way of telegraphs, but that is it. You can use double jump too in fights. I do sometimes to shake off mobs and use my bot taunt to have it take some hits. In that sense the combat in this game is more flexible.

I am on a pretty populated EU server and the lag is so far not a problem, in the sense that there isn't any lag. I have had one lagpike since headstart. I am not sure what ping I have exactly but I would say that it is roughly around 60 ms from the way the game performs.

It does not seem to have RNG bullshit exactly in it, but you can tweek your recipes to have various effects on the outcome. It is not like GW2's in the sense that you can try out different combinations of materials in order to get a new recipe. It is also not entirely fire-and-forget like WoW. It is sort of a hybrid system between some experimentation and fire-and-forget.

There are no hard programmed jump puzzles like in GW2 from what I can tell but jumping is a very important part of the game. Double jump is addictive and I use it a lot. The jump animations are great in my opinion.

There is some minor phasing but it does not seem to take you into another version of the game. I have not seen any people hand in quests and suddenly disappear in front of my eyes and one time when I switched "phase" while looking at another player, that player was still around after I finished watching the cutscene and ended up in the new "phase". The only noticeable difference was that the mobs that were once neutral were now aggro. The one thing I have not seen just yet is whether the gameworld is fairly seemless.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

Okay thanks for the replies so far. Although what some of you said bothers me. You are saying that the game works great on Nvidia, but there's this tiny little problem, I kind of hate nvidia for their overpriced and proprietary crap so I'm running R9 290X OC, how would the game perform on that? Also overclocked Intel i5-2500k as CPU and 8 gigs of RAM. I know I should've probably just hit the beta to test exactly that but as I said, I didn't have much free time when the open beta came around. So if there is anyone with similar hardware to shed some light. I get really pissed when some game runs below 50-60 fps on my PC. Hell I can juice up 120 fps from Battlefield 4 on this rig. Gw2 is bringing it to its knees at 50 fps (metaphorically speaking, Gw2 is actually the only game I play that doesnt cause my PC to heat up but i never seem to get more than 60-70 fps) 

Also about my phasing question I meant it more like ... imagine I rush a bit further in the game than my gf (she's like Dora the explorer and I'm the content locust). Will I feel powerless to help her if she's stuck in some quest somewhere along the way? Or I can give her a hand whenever I want (Gw2-style)

PS: Also we're both using AMD GPUs, she's using AMD cpu even. 

• venatsvenats Member Posts: 106

The game is fun. I'll preface with that.

But mechanically the combat is badly built. Its too reliant on fire-and-forget AoE effects and more time is spent watching the floor and effects than watching the target or your enemies. Its hard to discern animations for predictions and have to react more on the fly than on forethought.

The ING (Internal Glocal Cooldown) is a definite issue in the combat if you ask me. It staggers combat unnaturally and really diminishes any sort of reactive gameplay as you're forced to wait on the IGC just like in FFXIV. For PvE this will probably not be an issue but it's going to be a pain in any sort of structured PvP for that is centered on action.

The no iFrame dodges are bad in PvP, possibly will become an issue in high-end PvE. You can get aoe pulled and nuked in an instant and dodging won't get you out because of the lack of iFrames. Dark Souls is my usual go-to to point out why dodging and iFrames is usually a good thing.

There's no control on jumps, which leads to a lot of weird sliding and clipping animations with terrain.

Whaaaa global cooldowns O.o Who does that in an action combat. Imagine if I play Tekken 6 and after 7 hit combo i get global cooldown, I'm as good as dead :( That's how I see action combat. I suppose I'm too spoiled by Gw2 to ever play other MMOs :( 

And yeah no jump control puts it way below 10, idk about 11/10 as one mate suggested few posts above :( 

• r3volt21r3volt21 Member UncommonPosts: 97
    everyone else pretty much answered all your qs, as for the amd memory leak, I have had 0 issues with it running a 7970 but I have an intel cpu most issues I have heard of were caused by the latest amd beta drivers and rolling back fixed it fr alot of ppl.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

Hope that helps

This post hit's it pretty spot on. It plays and feels like Vanilla WoW, with a less responsive version of GW2/ESO's action combat. It has the same problem of GW2 where you mainly use 2-3 skills in a spam rotation with the occasional support/oh crap skills.

The jumping puzzles do exist, and they were kind of a pain due to the amount of sliding your character's movement produces. It takes some getting used to, but Wildstar is definitely a fun game and anyone with a background in GW2 and WoW will find it pretty fun, I know I have been having quite a bit of fun playing it. See you in game hopefully :)

What these guys said. imageimage

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by r3volt21
    everyone else pretty much answered all your qs, as for the amd memory leak, I have had 0 issues with it running a 7970 but I have an intel cpu most issues I have heard of were caused by the latest amd beta drivers and rolling back fixed it fr alot of ppl.

I'm using the latest BETA driver because of the few Mantle games I play. Also I like the performance gains of more than a few titles. Also that R9 290X runs cooler on the new driver, believe it or not. With 13.10 It never goes below 90 degrees. With the latest beta driver I have yet to see it go to 90. And yes I'm using it in uber mode, that means the fan goes as fast as it can to cool down that hawaii based monster. 

• TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer Member Posts: 317
    There has been a fix this morning, my fps has shot up.  
  • AmegashieAmegashie Member UncommonPosts: 289
    with a less responsive version of GW2/ESO's action combat

Less respnsive than GW2 or less responsive than ESO, which is it ? The difference between those two games is night and day in that regard.

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

Hope that helps

Playing Wildstar feels pretty much like playing WoW if WoW had GW2's combat, though Wildstar's abilities need to be aimed, as opposed to GW2s "locking on" of spells.. And no, thats not a bad thing.

• JindaeJindae Member UncommonPosts: 12

Whaaaa global cooldowns O.o Who does that in an action combat. Imagine if I play Tekken 6 and after 7 hit combo i get global cooldown, I'm as good as dead :( That's how I see action combat. I suppose I'm too spoiled by Gw2 to ever play other MMOs :( 

And yeah no jump control puts it way below 10, idk about 11/10 as one mate suggested few posts above :( 

There is no global cooldowns. Also jumping is amazing, you can double jump which makes it fun, even more fun when you cannot move while on air, which was really deal breaker on GW2 for me

Think Wilstar as Tera with telegraphs