Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shards Online Kickstarter letting EVERYONE playtest the game this week!!

2»

Comments

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514

Been playing for 2 hours already  , love it ! 

For an Pre-Alpha, its very impressive.

http://citadelstudios.net/?p=2458

Download and play !

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Originally posted by Ket_Viliano
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by Tokken

they're getting desperate.... kickstarter fund isn't doing as well as they like I guess. Maybe this will kick start their game for them and get more money....

I won't back it.... UO clones are too late.

http://shardsonline.com/forums/index.php?p=/discussion/27/very-confused-about-the-role-of-kickstarter-at-this-stage

I I like this idea, but the problem is, I am just learning about this project, and I am sure many others are just learning about it.

I do have some concerns, since now days Sandbox is synonymous with PVP Trolling, that this will ruin this game.

But that may not be the case.

I am not quite sure why, but every 'Sandbox' game out there is some kind of pre-trammel UO wannabe. It seems those 'Killer' wolves have not ever learned their lesson. Bartle laid it all out years ago, that if the killers are allowed to take over, the game will die.

Let's see here, where is my link... ahh, Bartle's site is hard to navigate...

here it is: http://mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm

The basic gist is that if you let the killers run loose, they will kill off all the sheep, and then the game will die, as there is no one left to play with. See, DFO, DFUW. or, Mortal Online.

Except that the failure of DFO, DFUW, and MO had nothing to do with the PvP and everything to do with the incompetence of the developers to actually improve their own games. Months on end of bugs not being touched, no communication at all with the players, broken and meaningless systems / features that never got improved, lots of exploits that went ignored, etc. Hell, last I checked MO is still in a barely playable state a few years after release.

I find it very amusing when people try and throw those games out as examples of why "PvP is bad", when the entire draw of the games and why people wanted to play them in the 1st place, especially in Darkfall's case, IS the PvP.

It's not PvPs fault that bad devs made a PvP game and didn't run it properly.

No PvP killed those games. Not the Bugs or Development.

The PvP.

I played Darkfall. It was indie and I understood that, which is why the bugs got a pass, but the ganking ran me away!

As for Vanguard, which isnt a Sandbox, had bug problems, but what ran me away was the typical grind of levels, and the lack of faction pvp.

I dont care about FFA PvP. I want Factions.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by GungaDin

Download and play !

the problem I have with the game is the lack of response from clicking on a mob to attack, and the combat mechanics are poorly designed and not fun.

fix that, and you could have a good game.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140

Download and play !

the problem I have with the game is the lack of response from clicking on a mob to attack, and the combat mechanics are poorly designed and not fun.

I would agree with that...

Combat is not quite fluid enough and trying to click a mob or enemy (or even knowing if you did click them already) isnt as intuitive as I would like.

-BUT..This is an Alpha build. I am amazed at how well combat (and everything else) works for an Alpha. Nearly bug free in my experience with quite a bit to see and try and nothing really broken.

I would imagine combat will be tightened well before release.

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514
    Originally posted by Jacxolope

Download and play !

I would agree with that...

Combat is not quite fluid enough and trying to click a mob or enemy (or even knowing if you did click them already) isnt as intuitive as I would like.

-BUT..This is an Alpha build. I am amazed at how well combat (and everything else) works for an Alpha. Nearly bug free in my experience with quite a bit to see and try and nothing really broken.

I would imagine combat will be tightened well before release.

Yes, targeting is a bit difficult, however, you are playing a Pre-Alpha and the KS goal has not even been achieved.  No other game "ever" on KS has allowed you to play any aspect  of their gameplay as Shards Online.  Keep that in mind and consider the confidence the team has in their vision to allow this to happen.

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

It's about design concepts too though. They need to speed this game up by at least like 50%.

Right now it's like watching paint dry and even that might be faster. There is no reason why even an oldschool RPG should be far far slower than something like Baldur's Gate or NWN.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

It's about design concepts too though. They need to speed this game up by at least like 50%.

Right now it's like watching paint dry and even that might be faster. There is no reason why even an oldschool RPG should be far far slower than something like Baldur's Gate or NWN.

I disagree...

The slower speed allows for more tactical combat absent of 'button mashing'.

I want a 'World" to explore with slower paced combat... Then again, this would all be preference. 

- I am sure you realize that and am just using this as a chance to BUMP this thread. =P

C'mon guys. Playtest the alpha all weekend long. Look at the concepts and ideals being presented here in CONJUNCTION wwith a playable Alpha and see if you think this is worth throwing a few bucks or a few quid towards.

I disagree...

I want a 'World" to explore with slower paced combat... Then again, this would all be preference. 

- I am sure you realize that and am just using this as a chance to BUMP this thread. =P

C'mon guys. Playtest the alpha all weekend long. Look at the concepts and ideals being presented here in CONJUNCTION wwith a playable Alpha and see if you think this is worth throwing a few bucks or a few quid towards.

Riigght.

Tell me just how waiting 3 seconds between every attack or ability using something like a normal longsword (the swing speed goes upwards of 4 seconds base with a heavier weapon) enables more tactical combat.

Especially because all you're seeing after the very short animation and damage / block / miss message is your character and the enemy's just staring at each other for the remaining 2,5 seconds.  In the current version of the game the times are also generally even much longer, though it can be excused as pre-alpha troubles.

I'm all for tactical combat, but this doesn't do jack all for that. It's a blank copy of UO. That needs to change if this game wants to attract any significant public, even the actual oldschoolers. Hell, most old tactical RPG's had far faster combat.

Those who still play UO have got enough with that game. Even Ultima gamers have evolved with the times and the games that have come out since. Just copying the combat of an old game that was still restricted by technical means, for little reason at all, isn't going to cut it.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

I disagree...

Riigght.

Tell me just how waiting 3 seconds between every attack or ability using something like a normal longsword (the swing speed goes upwards of 4 seconds base with a heavier weapon) enables more tactical combat.

Especially because all you're seeing after the very short animation and damage / block / miss message is your character and the enemy's just staring at each other for the remaining 2,5 seconds.  In the current version of the game the times are also generally even much longer, though it can be excused as pre-alpha troubles.

I'm all for tactical combat, but this doesn't do jack all for that. It's a blank copy of UO. That needs to change if this game wants to attract any significant public, even the actual oldschoolers. Hell, most old tactical RPG's had far faster combat.

Those who still play UO have got enough with that game. Even Ultima gamers have evolved with the times and the games that have come out since. Just copying the combat of an old game that was still restricted by technical means, for little reason at all, isn't going to cut it.

It matters to keep the weapons balanced in a way so there is never a "right weapon" for all situations, along with allowing your Stam to regen to where the time alloted allows for tactical use of skills and spells.

For instance, a dagger attacks very fast (but low damage) where as a Longsword is slower but does higher damage.

You could keep this all the 'same' in overall output bu increasing attack speed but decreasing the damage % by a like amount. It would give the impression of faster combat but the combat would be quite the same in outcome.

The reason there seems to be less tactics at the moment is because you are essentially an unskilled character with low skills. As your HPs gain and stamina regen comes into play along with the myriad of skills- Combat could potentially take quite some time against a skilled opponent making proper use of skills..

It gives you time to think.

For this same reason strategic turn based combat is far more tactical than 'action' combat... 

-But again, your complaint can and will be rectified by the player run servers. To the point that not only combat can and will be different but even the skill system itself. It is fully possible to take the skill based leveling from the game and replace it with traditional XP and levels... Make a theme park style shard... Even arcade Zombie combat should be quite easily implemented since the shard modding is so comprehensive.

This is the one thing which people need to understand. Its the capabilities in modding that are going to allow for very unique shards. Dont like PVP? There will be PVE only shards. Dont Like sandbox gameplay? There will be quest based shards and even a single player mode for a module type set up *(...I think...). Dont like Fantasy? There will be Sci-Fi and Steampunk and modern warfare along with fantasy. Dont like the combat? Someone will change the combat .

In theory there should eventually be something to everyones liking. The Mod tools here will be put to good use and we should see some fantastic creations (along with some utter shit) and longevity in tight knight shards .  This is akin to the old NWN private servers. They encompassed something for everyonwe- But this is more  comprehensive and less restrictive and based upon a sandbox style design with larger areas and more players being allowed along with cross shard travel.

-So rather debate the merits of slower combat in regards to tactics. We have to agree to disagree. But the point is moot anyhow as this is an pre alpha for only the official shard and not at all finished, tweaked nor even in an official alpha. Nor have we seen what the user crated shards are going to hold- Only whats capable.

Balance is not an issue. Other games, even very oldschool ones, have succeeded in offering different, but fairly balanced weapon speeds with a much faster overall pace.

As I said, I have no problem with tactical combat. But staring at a mob while it stares back is pointless and uninteresting.

Yes, this could all be fixed for the release with tons of skills being added (though being stuck with the current system for hours until you progress would still be unacceptable imo).

Yes, the ability to mod everything is the most exciting element of the game and could fix this all.

But fact remains that all of that is conjecture. The project still needs to gather $265717 of its $320000 goal on kickstarter with 5 days to go. 

This weekend was very likely an attempt to gather more support and interest for the game and to widen its audience. In itself a good idea, but you can't achieve such a goal by showing a vision of a game that copies from an MMO over a decade old.

-BUMP...

Come try this out guys.

At the very least come watch the livestream and the weekend events http://www.twitch.tv/mmorpgcom .