Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does Wildstar compare to World of Warcraft?

DarthkoruDarthkoru Member Posts: 5

I use to be an avid WoW player, I played WoW from the first year it was released, til half way through Cata. World of Warcraft was certainly the best, and first MMORPG I've ever played. During the years I played WoW many WoW killers came, and went.. From AION to SWTOR to ESO I've played them all.. And none of them seem to give me the same feeling that World of Warcraft use to.. I've been following Wildstar for a little while now, and so far it seems like a decent enough game.. But i'm not entirely convinced. I had countless friends telling me how "amazing" ESO was.. So I went out and bought it.. Only to find out it's the worst MMORPG EVER! I would like to know how you guys feel about this game.. How are the classes? What's the grouping system like? How's end game? What if anything drew you to this game?

Comments

• unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462

I was never a Wow player; grew up with DAoC.  I thought I would love ESO due to the similarities with DAoC.  So far Wildstar is better in every way.

It's way polished and I'm having so much more fun than I did in ESO.

Worth a punt IMO if you liked WoW.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    As someone who played the betas for WS and played WoW for years (with intentions to buy the next expac), Wildstar is "ok".  Nothing special at all unless you care about housing.
  • ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

In terms of end game content, Wildstar is solid compared to the amount of raids WoW would have initially at an expansion, it utilizes the 20 and 40 man group sizes and it also has attunements that will eat up a good amount of your time.

In terms of crafting wildstar is also solid.

In terms of lore and aesthetic, I feel wildstar is absolutely lacking in these departments and I can't take any characters seriously as a result.  

In terms of combat wildstar is very responsive and aoe heavy, however I find it a bit too faceroll for my tastes. 

Also OP might want to look into your friends tastes for MMO and not take them so seriously, ESO, most would agree was far from amazing.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Doesn't have half the charm of WoW, nor the scope. 
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by shakermaker0

Pretty much how I felt.  It's got this shiny coat of paint on it, but there's rust underneath.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

On the surface anyone can see the way in which this compares to WOW. It uses a similar questing system, it uses a similar in spirit art-style (same lead artists).. There's a lot of humor and doesn't take itself seriously, it has a raiding focus as well as dungeon focus. What does this really say about any of those features though? Nothing much. This is all gathered from the outside looking in. A better question would be how does WIldstar stand on it's own outside of comparisons?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Because I would argue that WoW, even in vanilla form, had a bigger scope. More classes, more races, more than just two paths to start from, variety of zones, etc etc.
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Charm is subjective. In what way does it not have the scope? The world is huge and the game feels like feature complete and mature as if it were a year or two old.

A lot of people say this, but give little insight into what they mean, the game has been live 3 days, how much of it has really been seen by the majority spreading this around? If they've seen a lot that's kind of an oxymoron :).

OP if you want I'll PM you a friend code and you can try it for seven days if you like.
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Because I would argue that WoW, even in vanilla form, had a bigger scope. More classes, more races, more than just two paths to start from, variety of zones, etc etc.
    WoW had more classes at launch. It also had a rudimentary crafting system, no housing, no battlegrounds and no path system. From what Ive seen so far, Wildstar has a wide variety of zones on par with WoW. Ive made 4 characters so far and have had 3 different starting zones (past the tutorial of course), Im sure there are more. I agree that six classes is limited, but the customization you can do with each class sort of helps in that regard.

I dunno. I think what Disto said rings true, an mmo should stand or fall on its own merits. I also like to draw comparisons to other mmos ive played. I guess its a good idea to not dwell too much on one or the other and just find something you enjoy.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Distopia

On the surface anyone can see the way in which this compares to WOW. It uses a similar questing system, it uses a similar in spirit art-style (same lead artists).. There's a lot of humor and doesn't take itself seriously, it has a raiding focus as well as dungeon focus. What does this really say about any of those features though? Nothing much. This is all gathered from the outside looking in. A better question would be how does WIldstar stand on it's own outside of comparisons?

I think its just the right game at the right time. Any MMO that was packaged with this much features launched now would be eaten up by MMOers. We so hungry for content that we eat new games up every few months like they are a side snack and ask where the beef is because they dont have much past leveling content? I think WS is great but its been a while since I have seen any MMO give what we gamers need. Sure some dont like the packaging but I think WS will prove a point. It will do well because they got something right, less fluff and more content. Is it the end all and be all of MMOing? Nope, just a good game. Sad thats all it takes to get us worked up. WOW someone made a good game!!!!!

I keep coming across this, content versus quality debate. Personally, as someone that has no real interest in chasing the carrot on a stick that is end game content, can't I wish for the game to be slightly different? Rather than being told to be happy because it has some 'busy work' to do at the end? I don't plan on jumping to the cap in 48 hours, I want to enjoy the journey. 
    I keep coming across this, content versus quality debate. Personally, as someone that has no real interest in chasing the carrot on a stick that is end game content, can't I wish for the game to be slightly different? Rather than being told to be happy because it has some 'busy work' to do at the end? I don't plan on jumping to the cap in 48 hours, I want to enjoy the journey. 

WS has the carrot if thats your thing and man to people like to chase that carrot. WS devs have been very clear they will have content for all players, even solo casual gamers. They are shooting for monthly updates and each month will be a different focus. One month PvPers with a new battle ground, next month an update to extend the solo story you unlock when you reach level cap, and the next month a new zone to explore. If they keep to their word you can play and not worry you dont have that top end raid gear. 

• VicusEQVicusEQ Member UncommonPosts: 103

Speaking as someone who was an avid hardcore raider in WoW (Server first 10 man heroic Lich King) and now currently playing Wildstar (Level 50 Engineer, Gold Level Veteran Adventures 50 crafted gear with Epic Heavy Gun)  I can tell you this:

Wildstar is by far more of a complete game then wow was at launch.  Wildstar has about 60% of the content currently that WoW has within it's entire game.  On the aspect of actually content that people would actually play, Wildstar has more of it.  Meaning that while WoW is a huge game, no one plays the majority of the expansions anymore other then to level.  Wildstar is setup to where you actually have to go back and complete old content in new ways by being leveled down.  There is a World Boss for every 10 levels.  These bosses must be completed for the key to enter raids.  Old Dungeons must be completed on Gold (timed, no deaths, etc) to also enter raids.

Veteran Dungeons, ARE EXTREMELY Hard.  If you are the type that wiped in WoW in normal mode because you couldn't get out of the fires you will have trouble here.  The good news is that they literally SHOW you where you have to stand in this game and the majority of people still won't be good enough to do it.  The telegraph system is by far the most fun I've had.  It's like adding and old school "Frogger" feel to a MMO.  Feels like playing WoW, Megaman, Frogger, all in one.  This games endgame is amazing and is just going to get insane.

Graphics - I HATE Cartoon graphics.  I stayed away from WoW so long because I couldn't get past level 10.  When I deployed to Iraq my wife who LOVED WoW leveled me up a character just so I could be forced to play.  Once she did that I found the amazing WoW raiding system and got hooked.  I hated the graphics still but did love raids.  Wildstar was the same for me in Beta.  I just couldn't get into the graphics.  While grinding to 50 (I knew this game had everything and felt it was stupid to not give it a shot) I started to fall in love with the graphics.  First, this isn't wow.  It maybe cartoon but the graphics are detailed, robust, interactive, and just plan bad*ss looking.  Going with the cartoon style they have literally created HUGE worlds that feel like actually worlds, not some trapped small area.  Having double jump and the ability to literally go everywhere makes each area feel like a massive zone.  You get a quest to go into a underground reactor and it feels like you dropped into and endless underground planet.  Some of the scenes make you feel like your in the matrix! 

Housing - Just amazing, being able to size every item from tiny to the size of a house just gives you unlimited possibilities.  The challenges alone that you can put in your own houses gives you that evil feeling when you create one and watch someone try it and keep failing!  Wildstar makes you earn everything but at the same time gives you so many options to plan when you aren't wanting to just go all Hardcore.

PvP - sorry I don't know.  Warplots look amazing but I won't hit PVP until I get more time later.

Crafting is fun, fast, and extremely useful.  They have dailies setup for crafters that can consume a bit of time if that is what you look for.

You can customize everything.  No one looks the same (except those who bought the deluxe version and are all wearing the same free outfit).

I log in daily and just have to much to do.  I can't get to it all.  Daily quest for Elder Gems, Veteran Dungeons/adventures, Heck the 50 normal dungeon is MASSIVE and takes 3-5 hours where you die to the jump monster countless times (you will see when you get there).  World bosses that I look forward to killing but not enough 50's yet to try for some.

This game isn't for everyone.  Some people aren't good enough to use the telegraph combat system.  I wouldn't call it spammy like most people are because in WoW you would spam your hotkeys 1,2,3,4,etc nonstop but just didn't see the telegraph layed out on the floor.  This game is the same way but you have WAY more control on how and who it lands on.  You can switch targets SOO much faster. But honestly having to Aim, keep up your rotation, dodge stuff, watch health bars (over players heads not the UI..which is great) is just going to be WAY to much for some people.  These people are going to complain and I pray the devs don't listen.  This game is a challenge and it is the main thing that makes it great.

I hope everyone plays this game because I know I am tired of waiting for the next best thing.  I don't see raiding getting more fun then this anytime soon. (Though to me Everquest 1 Raiding and the feeling you had will still always be number #1 to me)

Trexon

Judgment  Guild

Exile - Evindra

PM sent!
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle

I think its just the right game at the right time. Any MMO that was packaged with this much features launched now would be eaten up by MMOers. We so hungry for content that we eat new games up every few months like they are a side snack and ask where the beef is because they dont have much past leveling content? I think WS is great but its been a while since I have seen any MMO give what we gamers need. Sure some dont like the packaging but I think WS will prove a point. It will do well because they got something right, less fluff and more content. Is it the end all and be all of MMOing? Nope, just a good game. Sad thats all it takes to get us worked up. WOW someone made a good game!!!!!

I was actually watching an interview from kotaku with Richard Garriott last night, and he said something I never put much thought into and it made me realize something pretty telling about the successes and failures in the MMO space.

There's roleplaying and then there's RPG.  the RPG is all about min maxing, getting a level along with a cool reward. Role-playing is something else entirely, only a select few games get this right, he cited Theif and Skyrim and to a lesser extent older MMO's like UO. He likened the RPG to games like WOW and diablo. Which he called the best RPGs, and I think he's right. I'm the guy that wants role-playing. Many in the MMO space seem to be the types that want the RPG. I've always had a bad-taste for diablo style games, as well as WOW. Hence why I knew I'd have no interest in WS.

WHat I see WS doing is getting the RPG right. I think that's the source of this excitement over it. The others many view as failures really seemed to focus on playing a role in something. To many this feels restrictive and guided. Where games like UO diverge is that the focus isn't on a role or hero, it's on you, what would you do, that's what Skyrim gets so right as well what UO and SWG did right before it. You can't really pass the role off in an MMO very well unless you are center stage. In a game like WOW you're always center stage, you don't feel restricted you can ride what ever ride you feel like, their not telling you about or leading you down some pre-determined destiny.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Wait a month or till the new WoW xpac. i mean, pretty much 90% of WS playerbase are from WoW, for them WS is amazing and the best MMO ever, maybe because is the 1st real WoW clone of the laast 10 years, so a lot of people feel at home, but not everyone.       

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317
    I agree with BadSpock, I think this would be a great game to port over to consoles or maybe even portables like the 3DS

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

Originally posted by hikaru77

Wait a month or till the new WoW xpac. i mean, pretty much 90% of WS playerbase are from WoW, for them WS is amazing and the best MMO ever, maybe because is the 1st real WoW clone of the laast 10 years, so a lot of people feel at home, but not everyone.       

The term "WoW clone" is as useless as giving a plate of poop to a starving man. Everyone MMO that comes out get thats stamp. Wana call it a WoW clone, say what about the game reminds you of WoW over a generic label that does nothing. I played WoW for over 6 years and this game have very little in common with WoW. Unless art style and tier loot makes a game WoW and get it right, WoW is a clone!!!

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Honestly, if you like WoW, you will like Wildstar.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Originally posted by eyelolled
    I agree with BadSpock, I think this would be a great game to port over to consoles or maybe even portables like the 3DS

+ 1. Game is well suited for consoles.

• DivonaDivona Member UncommonPosts: 189

There is no auto-attack in WildStar, that's what came to my mind when I was in beta. It feel a lot more action pack than WoW, sometime I like that and sometime I just want to sit back and let auto-attack do the job. As I play WildStar, I actually want to go back to WoW becuase of it simplicity.

Doesn't matter what other said that it's a better game than WoW, it's a different type of playstyle. They can stand side by side together.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    You're wrong... There IS auto attack in WildStar.
    Originally posted by Divona

There is no auto-attack in WildStar, that's what came to my mind when I was in beta. It feel a lot more action pack than WoW, sometime I like that and sometime I just want to sit back and let auto-attack do the job. As I play WildStar, I actually want to go back to WoW becuase of it simplicity.

Doesn't matter what other said that it's a better game than WoW, it's a different type of playstyle. They can stand side by side together.

I have been thinking something a long that line. I been wondering if the hardcore style will burn people out. You cant play WS with a drink in hand. The higher level you get the more the game requires of you. Sometimes when I MMO I like to chill and other times I want HARDCORE. Not sure WS will have that mix.

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    Edit: while it's not a 'sustained' auto-attack, you can initially attack by just clicking on an enemy that is in range.