Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] WildStar: Review In Progress - Part One

Comments

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by Siphaed
    Originally posted by Deathsmind

Just think how good of a score this game will get. You had a broken game get 7. If a game is at least playable im guessing minimum the score has to be 12 out of 10...

Be realistic, it'll get a 9 or 9.5 out of 10, with questing being the reason for the point removal.  If the questing of the game was a mirror of Guild Wars 2's Dynamic Events and Hearts system, this game would/should have earned a 10 out of 10.   

You mean that Dynamic Events and Hearts system that forced me to stop playing Gw2? :-)) But would gladly play again Gw2 if they return classic, proven and working and fun, questing system. Not just blindly running around  looking for same boring event over and over again or just jumping from heart to heart.

About WS ... I was positively surprised by clean beta game play and incredible performance even with a lot of players around.

Then on of last patches still in beta caused on same settings my fps drop to approx. 1/3. Ok, shit happen, at release hopefully this will not be problem, they will fix. Or some new driver will come out. So I thought.

Than so called “headstart” happened preventing I guess majority (at least in EU as I heard) to login at all and play, queues from 2 to 24 hours, then finally when queue was ready ... blank screen, rinse and repeat, ... disaster. I admit have not been so angry with any game.. Not because tech and sw problems happen ... but because of stupidity. Or as somebody painted very well: company is opening new restaurant, already KNOW 200 guests have confirmed invite and even paid for dinner ... yet they prepare everything like 10 guests only are coming. And then inevitable happen.

But I never considered option to request money back. Beta experience was great, game fun, ... so I was sure they will repair to this epic fail start.

Now I can happily login without problems, mainly instantly or up to 10 mins from time to time queue. Here is my updated pro and cons list so far.

PRO

• no forced use for outdated WASD for moving, using mouse

• fun, humor

• very fluid movement, controls responding as expected, very well

• client loading very fast

• no single bug or crash in 3 last beta days (but one of worst headstarts I ever played ... actually .. there was no headstart I guess for majority of at least EU players)

• only game (known to me) so far where i.e. river is driving you in direction of water flow ... amazing! Must constantly battle water flow. :-)

• love double jump and missing already in other MMO’s :-)

• underwater quests

CONS

• only 1 (ONE!) toolbar with 8 active keys; if I will stop to play I’m already sure this will be for this problem because problem it is; usually this spells button mashing, especially as abilities starts to pile up; always hated when game enforces me to “select” only some spells out of zillion; leave that to PLAYER!, if somebody likes can play game with single spell and any game but if i wish to have 2 or 3 toolbars full of abilities that is MY problem

even on that single toolbar keys are unlocked with leveling so up to i.e. only at lv. 9 you will have 6 unlocked, at lv. 1 only single; I always in any game have “spam” spell on button 5 and hate being forced move that to key 1 or 2; want to have healing spells on other toolbar and usually main 2 linked to F4 and F5, ... etc .... whole toolbar(s) should be unlocked since level 1 even if single spell available at start; fortunately is possible at least to move spells to any already unlocked button, lessening somewhat this problem; at level 9 there are 1-6 keys unlocked

some even say “wait until lv. 20 and will understand 8 buttons is fine” .... sorry, do not want to wait nearly to half game for that to happen if will happen; surely will come to lv. 20 with at least some of my alts

• logout should be immediate if in safe area or at least some button logout now; however this is big problem only for altholics as I’m :-)

• some patch at the end of beta caused fps to drastically fall down with same computer and same settings; stayed so at release, too; and I’m not alone in this

• music could be better, but it is not so bad at the end

JUST NOTE

• graphics and style somehow reminds me CO (just noted, is not for bad or for good)

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451
    My experience of the beta was a frustrating one . Although my PC plays games like TESO ,Rift,GW2 and TOR on Ultra setting with decent fps it struggled with Wildstar even on the lowest settings . It wasn't totally unplayable but it also wasn't very smooth . I believe the game has been optimized more since then from what I've read but given my experience I would have to see its release client either by a free trial or a buddy key . ( sadly no one I know is playing at the moment so it might be quite a wait ) . 
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by Siphaed
    Originally posted by Deathsmind

Just think how good of a score this game will get. You had a broken game get 7. If a game is at least playable im guessing minimum the score has to be 12 out of 10...

Be realistic, it'll get a 9 or 9.5 out of 10, with questing being the reason for the point removal.  If the questing of the game was a mirror of Guild Wars 2's Dynamic Events and Hearts system, this game would/should have earned a 10 out of 10.   

GW2 Dynamic Events are nothing dynamic. Just endless Public events.

Wildstar has these kind of Public events too in every zone.

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    Originally posted by Grakulen
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    Remember mmo fans...if they don't trash a game you don't like it's because they've been bought

Yeh, maybe Carbine will give them the same paycheck that Zenimax gives for making the weekly, "This Week in Elder Scrolls Online" bit.  Think we will see a, "This Week in Wildstar"?  I guess it depends on how deep Carbine's wallet is.

/end sarcasm

If we get a paycheck for TWIESO someone owes me some damn money.

You should talk to Craig about that.  :>

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    I am not going to make a list or a pitch. You know fun when you are having it. I am having fun in Wildstar.

• BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111
    My score for this game is a 11/10...I.e. I find scores irrelevant. Ask I know is I thought I was going to hate this game, heck I wanted to hate this game so I didn't have to quit eso already...but I bought it, and played it...and God damnit..it won me over...so if you can attach a number score to that..go ahead
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by GregorMcgregor

Holy FB heaven! No really, hype yourselves down.

This MMO is a happy 6.5 at best, WoW's looks, GW's action and SWTOR's awfulness. Only good part so far was the humor, but it's getting stale fast.

Betting that it will soon quieten down after the free 30 days. Each to their own etc.

:(

About look ... games is advertised with strong CARTOONY look. Do not like, do not play. Personally couldn't care less. Gameplay that matters. And to think started with Wow only with BC because did not like look. How wrong was I ... with Wow meet best game ever. Swtor second best with incredible fighting. While Gw2 has one of best action combats around. I guess WS have something from all this worlds .. but that is only good. Actually ... this “good” is related to SUBJECTIVE taste. I knew what I’m buying with WS so I’m so far very very happy with (with exception of terrible headstart).

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355
    I want this game sooo bad but my PC is down for a couple of weeks

Mystery Bounty

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    It's ok. Having fun. Nothing special or amazing though.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Off topic: All the people swearing on the Logitech G600? I just bought one to see for myself.  Thanks for raiding my wallet!

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• HolyfleadipHolyfleadip Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Off topic: All the people swearing on the Logitech G600? I just bought one to see for myself.  Thanks for raiding my wallet!

I don't think he liked it.  I'm glad I didn't buy.

• HolyfleadipHolyfleadip Member Posts: 67

I don't really like the game graphics.  I think they are worse than WOW's.  Style be damned.  Garfield (cat) had better graphics.  They do look childish and not in a good way. 

I do like how refined it seems to be for a fresh release.  Very well done.

I like some of the features:  Some of the best housing, WAR PLOTS concept, and environmental interactions.

Questing isn't an easy design.  But this is boring even with the environmental interactions.  IMHO.  However,  I won't completely  bash it since I believe since I can't state a game with a themepark build who has questing that hasn't become dull, stale, or missing that appeal that keeps you wanting more.  That is why sandbox is making a strong comeback.  I'm dying for EQN.

So I give the game 7.  Some plus, some negative items. 

Now... Give me a EQN, AA, with some WS mixed in and make an affordable NEW interface with a VR helm, glove... body suit, where you move your azz around and no longer have the 300 lb nerd show up on SouthPark playing WOW..... That's my future game. LOL.  see you gamers in the year 2025.  hf in WS.  Really hf with WS.  I don't deny those who like it.

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    i love wildstar great game
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Been playing it quite a bit. It's a solid MMO that deserves around a 5 or 6 out of 10 imo. If they can fix the combat issues and the performance problems that could easily be a 7 or 8 out of 10. It's a lot of fun so come on in and give a shot people!

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• steusssteuss Member UncommonPosts: 130

The video looks SOOOO boring. What did you do other than spam a few keys.

Wildstar did a really good job of continuing the same thing.

I'm sick of spamming attacks the in general do nothing special against a mob that ignores it until it arbitrarily dies because some number reached 0.

snooze.

• DeathsmindDeathsmind Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Originally posted by steuss

The video looks SOOOO boring. What did you do other than spam a few keys.

Wildstar did a really good job of continuing the same thing.

I'm sick of spamming attacks the in general do nothing special against a mob that ignores it until it arbitrarily dies because some number reached 0.

snooze.

What game are you playing where this doesnt happen?

• DeathsmindDeathsmind Member UncommonPosts: 185

Ya people who havent used the Naga for a few days dont know what they are missing. They also have the newer editions for the people who complain the naga has too many buttons.

Anyone who has played with the naga for more than a day knows how amazing it is. It does take time, there is a learning curve to the naga. But once you master it you will never go back. 

For me I used only the first 6 buttons for the first few weeks, after awhile a started using the third row, now im using all 4 rows and destroying anything I come in contract with.

With the right gear anyone can play like the pros, the pros play like the gods.

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Originally posted by BurntCabbage

i cant understand why people get up set when we say its just like wow and possibly even easyer and dull ..but these same ppl love this game for the same reasons "like wow"

so all you people really wanted is another wow? this is what everyone has been waiting for? another recycled wow type theampark carbon copy of wow?

i see soo many people that play wow and say "i want xyz and im tyred of the same old" but this is the same thing and it now seems to be better than sliced bread lol maybe its me and im getting to old for the genra i see nothing new nor fun about this title and ill stop there..dont wanna get banned

So, what you essentially say is that all the dozens of people here who enjoy the game are just wrong.

Self entitlement galore..

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

Me too I also got one on offer at Amazon UK for like 68 euros. I am using the G700 now am going to give this a shot hope the mouse is not too wide. I don't have very large hands in fact they are quite small. I can rest my ring finger on that side button right otherwise it will be too difficult to use.

Chamber of Chains
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Distopia
    I"m just glad to see a positive consensus about a game around here for a change, even if it's not a game I'd enjoy.

You must be seeing something I'm not.  A lot of those positive reviews are from people who also say they're not going to buy it.

I have a very solid "meh" opinion myself.

• CleverjackCleverjack Member UncommonPosts: 72

I use a nostromo. I love that thing, couldn't see myself gaming without it.

Wildstar is enjoyable. I been pvping since lvl 7, i'm still in the starting area when it comes to quests and i'm lvl 20  lol.

• HelmlockeHelmlocke Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Shodanas
    Originally posted by BurntCabbage

i cant understand why people get up set when we say its just like wow and possibly even easyer and dull ..but these same ppl love this game for the same reasons "like wow"

so all you people really wanted is another wow? this is what everyone has been waiting for? another recycled wow type theampark carbon copy of wow?

i see soo many people that play wow and say "i want xyz and im tyred of the same old" but this is the same thing and it now seems to be better than sliced bread lol maybe its me and im getting to old for the genra i see nothing new nor fun about this title and ill stop there..dont wanna get banned

So, what you essentially say is that all the dozens of people here who enjoy the game are just wrong.

Self entitlement galore..

It's just his opinion.  Where did self-entitlement come into the picture?

• DemrocksDemrocks Member UncommonPosts: 136

About time a themepark came out that isnt dead on arrival (hello eso)

Even tough i coulnt play it longer then 30 minutes i am glad the themepark molestors found a new home !!!

Now bring out Archeage ffs !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by Distopia
    I"m just glad to see a positive consensus about a game around here for a change, even if it's not a game I'd enjoy.

You must be seeing something I'm not.  A lot of those positive reviews are from people who also say they're not going to buy it.

I have a very solid "meh" opinion myself.

Heh I was referring to it's forum section.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• kartoolkartool Member UncommonPosts: 520
    Originally posted by mark2123

Best MMO I've ever played, because it's taken the best bits from them all and found a perfect fit.  I'll call it an Aston Martin.

To those moaning that it is nothing new, well, an Aston Martin is still a car with wheels and an engine - but it's how it's put together and how it performs that counts.  I want an Aston Martin - I want Wildstar (and I have it).

WoW who?

It did not take the best quest systems from other MMOs - they just recycled the same tired quest hub system we've always had. It was the major reason I skipped WS. Too many quests that don't mean anything or have any interesting mechanics.