Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shards Online: Weekend Event Opens Servers to All

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Shards Online team will be on hand in the MMORPG.com Live Stream channel to show off the game in an alpha preview event that is scheduled to begin in about an hour and run throughout the weekend. The game servers will be open to the first 400 or so players logging in with the action being shown as it happens via the live stream.

We’ve still got a long ways to go to reach our Kickstarter goal. We’ve heard your suggestions and we have some ideas of our own. So here’s the deal… This weekend, everyone will play

We’re opening up the game to the public, with servers set to accommodate up to 400+ players. While we’re at it, we’re taking over the MMORPG Twitch channel.

The WORLD PREMIERE Shards public pre-alpha preview event will begin Thursday 6/5 and run through the weekend. If you’re not in-game, you can check it out on Twitch.  If you can’t find us on MMORPG, check out the Shards channel: http://www.twitch.tv/shardsonline.

Overwhelmed by awesome yet? Hope not, ‘cause here’s another new video for your Shards viewing pleasure. It’s Bruce - Logrus - Bonnick talking Systems with the community.

Read more on the Shards Online KickStarter page.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367

Overwhelmed by awesome yet?

Underwhelmed. First I'm hearing of this title, it sounds generic, and 400+ player per server sounds tiny.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I'm debating about trying to get in (amid the stampede?)  or just watching the twitch. 
  • JacxolopeJacxolope Member UncommonPosts: 1,140
    Originally posted by Impacthound

Overwhelmed by awesome yet?

Underwhelmed. First I'm hearing of this title, it sounds generic, and 400+ player per server sounds tiny.

Not sure if you have looked at the right game-

Generic it is certainly not- What you are seeing here is only an alpha of the official ruleset- Once the Shards open we will have PVP servers, PVE Servers, sci-fi servers, modern warfare servers, fantasy servers, steam pun servers...Its endless. The rule sets are totally customizable and the game is being made with modders in mind and the tools are there to make anything.

Some may not like the graphics or isometric feel (I like it) and others may not like the gameplay- But generic, this is not.

BTW, servers are opening to the public right now- It looks like only the backer servers are up but anyone can join.

Remember also this isnt even alpha and there is more game here (and less bugs) than most betas and almost all kickstart projects.

I am 100% behind this game, the devs and their vision. Look at my post history and see how much I hate Kickstarter and the general scamminess of crowdfunding- I abhor it...I am glad I took the time to research this one.

Its worth backing. $25.00 for a game you can play now (Alpha) with no sub fees - Buy to play unless you go onto certain official servers (I will be subbing to an official server) myself)

-Too much to list here for what this game will offer. This one really does deserve being backed- It isnt just hype and an idea...This is the real deal.

Originally posted by flizzer
    I'm debating about trying to get in (amid the stampede?)  or just watching the twitch. 

You can get in now easily. after 4PM it will be swarmed. (when it officially goes live)

I am not playing to make room for other potential backers... However, this weekend it will be open to the public 24 hours a day which should be more than enough time to get in and get a feel.

Bump-
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    I dawn loaded it then my avg anti virus warned me I let it go through and then windows refused it to go through so there is something wrong,ill play it and buy it if its very good but will not subscribe to games anymore-that bullshit is over.
  • DauntisDauntis Member UncommonPosts: 600
    This game is badass. Well, if you just woke up from a 15-20 year coma or something.

Help support an artist and gamer who has lost his tools to create and play: http://www.gofundme.com/u63nzcgk

Originally posted by Dauntis
    This game is badass. Well, if you just woke up from a 15-20 year coma or something.

Yeah- Game certainly isnt going to be for everyone.

I imagine the core user for Shards will be older gamers who loved where the genre was heading 10-15 years ago and hate where it is now. This is (to me) like the branch these games should have taken in 2004 rather than the theme park and more mainstream route.

There is no doubt this is more niche than what is offered elsewhere. There is no doubt many of todays gamers will not like this game . Nothing wrong with that. 

Anyone who wishes the genre had progressed from UO and are looking for a more updated UO experience complete with full modding for an insane amount of variety and both PVP and non PVP servers- This will be right up your alley.

-To the dude saying you are tired of subbing to crowdfunding bullshit- I agree, man. Seems like everytime you hear of a game now its devs begging for money for an idea. Tons of hype and zero substance. Hell, I think many of these kickstarters are intentional scams using the hype machine and viral marketing to essentially legally steal cash from hopeful players buying a dream. I am usually the first person to make a comment like yours. "Oh another kickstarter? I remember back when people actually made games and sold them not beg me for cash for their idea"

-I concur, dude- Totally.

This one is different. There IS a game here already. Its B2P. Its a pre alpha than works better than most betas and is more complete than Kickstarters that came out years ago and have nothing to show (and this one isnt even funded)- The ONLY reason I gave this a second look was because Slapshot (a user here) was pimping this game and he and I share similar tastes and opinions usually- So I figured I would take a look. I am glad I did...

THIS is what every Kickstart project should be like and we wouldnt have the "crowdfunding hate" and "burnout" we currently have. This is the real deal being created by actual capable people (...weird, huh?) with more than hype, promises and ideas.

-That said, I understand the reasoning for not trusting these projects anymore- Its just sad... 

• KexinKexin Member UncommonPosts: 69
    Without some sort of media or gameplay vid this stream is pointless. It's basically a bunch of talking head talking theory...and ultimately failing to deliver.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Played it for a few hours. But there is apparently an NDA, which is silly considering the event is public and open to anyone.

I think there would be a market for an oldschool RPG, especially if they'd bring it to iOS or mobile. However, shards is trying to be WAY too oldschool for its own good. It's more oldschool than the actual oldschool.

Knitting socks is more action packed than this game.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• JamkullJamkull Member UncommonPosts: 214

Those that played UO and wanted something similar but more updated then this would probably be the game. This game is in Alpha, which means very basic setup for visuals.  

I like the idea that the source code for a basic server will be given back to the community to do what they want with it. 

Personally It's not what I would want to play much, but I know there will be some that do and it looks to have a lot of appeal for the UO crowd.

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Played it for a few hours. But there is apparently an NDA, which is silly considering the event is public and open to anyone.

I think there would be a market for an oldschool RPG, especially if they'd bring it to iOS or mobile. However, shards is trying to be WAY too oldschool for its own good. It's more oldschool than the actual oldschool.

Knitting socks is more action packed than this game.

No NDA ...

On the rest we will have to agree to disagree.

Shards problem is getting the word out. Hell, I would have never heard of this if not for someone posting  thread here about it. There is a market for this- Not just the game itself but the customization and modding capabilities- The different rulesets- The private shard concept-

This is a Dungeon Masters, game Makers, Modders dream and this will only end up giving the player a myriad of options in the end.

• prowessprowess Member UncommonPosts: 169
    AVG doesn't like that it's a self-extracting executable.  I've checked it out, it's legit :-P
  • GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514

This is our chance for UO2.  Same point of view and similar controls but upgraded.  As a Pre-Alpha, you won't find better.  What other KS game is at a playable state during the KS ?  Shows the amount of confidence the Developers have in their vision.

Can't say enough good thing about the team and the game.  Lets go !