Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Net Neutrality and YOU! (Don't let big cable destory the internet)

WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464

Lets face it. Without the internet MMORPGs would not exist.

And when something comes along that tries to hurt the internet, I think it should be especially important to us as gamers to try and do something about it.

For those of you who don't already know, the American cable providers are trying to create an unequal playing field for internet speeds. They want the ability to charge companies (such as Netflix) a premium so that their content will be streamed to users faster. This proposal violates Net Neutrality, which currently ensures that all websites are treated equal by internet service providers.

I think John Oliver explains it best (probably the most important 13 minutes of your entire year):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpbOEoRrHyU

If this gets passed, what is to stop cable companies from forcing MMORPG companies from having to pay for the internet "Fast Lane". You think it is hard for indie developers to make an MMO now. Imagine how much more difficult it will be to compete when all of the AAA companies can afford to pay for the fast lane.

As John says in the video, there is still something we can do about it. The FCC is allowing everyone to post comments and give feedback on the proposal.

www.fcc.gov/comments, for any interested parties

--------------------------------------------

Comments

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    I would rather they pass a law to ban real money transactions inside of video games.
  • bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    No matter what, they will manage to eff up the internet just like everything else that gets monitored heavily.  Signed.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

guys...

deregulation almost always leads to disaster.

Enron, AIG are two recient examples of deregulation.

Is there such thing as too much? absolutely

But when your contracts legally obligate you to put profits over anything whatsoever there is little reason to think a monopoly of snake oil will not happen.

markets will correct you say?

and they do...how? by regulating after everyone lost money.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

You're paying for their service and, like it or not, they have every right to restrict traffic and / or charge what they please for it. Don't like it? Get service someplace else; either an existing company or a new one will take advantage of the situation and make their own service more attractive to people and corporations who's service is being restricted due to their usage patterns.

Stop trying to get Big Brother involved with everything. Anybody with an IQ over 50 in the US knows that anything our government touches turns to shit, and the internet and 'net neutrality' will be no exception.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

You're paying for their service and, like it or not, they have every right to restrict traffic and / or charge what they please for it. Don't like it? Get service someplace else; either an existing company or a new one will take advantage of the situation and make their own service more attractive to people and corporations who's service is being restricted due to their usage patterns.

Stop trying to get Big Brother involved with everything. Anybody with an IQ over 50 in the US knows that anything our government touches turns to shit, and the internet and 'net neutrality' will be no exception.

Silly, "Big Brother" is already involved. Hell, he's the one who put a telecommunication chief lobbyist at the head of the FCC to "regulate" telecommunication companies and is about to make the decision to end Net Neutrality. Also, as stated in the video, the vast majority of US citizens only have access to 2 or fewer service providers. "Get service someplace else" doesn't sound as easy as it sounds.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

This^

Competition is a good thing. But then again, there are 3 providers in my area to choose from. I have family that is only limited to one.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085

To be fair, trying to blame this whole problem on big wig cable companies is a bit misplaced, considering government officials, specifically our President, put one of the largest lobbyists for the cable industry into the position of chairman of the FCC, and that's just a small part of the issue; the FCC hasn't been doing it's job for a long time. So, while it's important that we recognize the crazy, multi-business monopoly that's occurring with cable providers in the United States, we also need to recognize that this mess would never have gotten as far as it has if the FCC, and our government by proximity, had been enforcing regulation without agenda (which I think most American's are beginning to realize, is an almost impossible goal to achieve).

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Defend Net Neutrality by CGP Grey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtt2aSV8wdw

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I have no choice but to use Comcast where I am.   More options would be the answer. 
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Originally posted by flizzer
    I have no choice but to use Comcast where I am.   More options would be the answer. 

yeah. and its a little painful to be getting internet service from a company that doesnt appear to understand the internet.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    This forum does not permit discussions of a political nature. Locking this.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.