Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Got some issues

shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

So, I've been lurking around these forums checking out everyone's thoughts and feelings on the game, and for the most part it's positive. And while I've been enjoying Wildstar, I do have a few issues with it.

Firstly, doesn't anyone else think, y'know, it all looks a little cheap? The art style itself aside, I'm talking mainly about the UI. It's pretty damn ugly, and seemingly, only movable with add-on. I mean we're not talking Age of Conan ugly, but still pretty ugly. Also, the general set-up of it all just seems so archaic. Menus within menus. Old-school text and boring quest scrolls. At times Wildstar feels like a game that was being developed for the 2007 market, rather than 7 years on. 

Also, the performance has been pretty horrific for me and a few friends. I have a decent enough PC, one which has handled new releases with grace, but I'm crawling on Wildstar right now. Perhaps this is adding to my general "looks like it was developed a decade ago vibe".

And maybe lastly, what's new? Granted, I'm only about 12-15 hours in, but I haven't seen anything groundbreaking yet. It does feel very much like WoW, and yeah I know it's ex-Blizzard staffers, but that's not much of an excuse. It just errs too much on the side of clone at times, with a few extra bits thrown in - and I've yet to really feel that sense of 'world' at present, still seems like a bunch of themed locations.

What's everyone else thinking? Or does it just get amaze-balls-great when the 16th hour strikes?

Comments

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by shakermaker0

So, I've been lurking around these forums checking out everyone's thoughts and feelings on the game, and for the most part it's positive. And while I've been enjoying Wildstar, I do have a few issues with it.

Firstly, doesn't anyone else think, y'know, it all looks a little cheap? The art style itself aside, I'm talking mainly about the UI. It's pretty damn ugly, and seemingly, only movable with add-on. I mean we're not talking Age of Conan ugly, but still pretty ugly. Also, the general set-up of it all just seems so archaic. Menus within menus. Old-school text and boring quest scrolls. At times Wildstar feels like a game that was being developed for the 2007 market, rather than 7 years on. 

Also, the performance has been pretty horrific for me and a few friends. I have a decent enough PC, one which has handled new releases with grace, but I'm crawling on Wildstar right now. Perhaps this is adding to my general "looks like it was developed a decade ago vibe".

And maybe lastly, what's new? Granted, I'm only about 12-15 hours in, but I haven't seen anything groundbreaking yet. It does feel very much like WoW, and yeah I know it's ex-Blizzard staffers, but that's not much of an excuse. It just errs too much on the side of clone at times, with a few extra bits thrown in - and I've yet to really feel that sense of 'world' at present, still seems like a bunch of themed locations.

What's everyone else thinking? Or does it just get amaze-balls-great when the 16th hour strikes?

I found the UI perfect myself. I guess it depends on your personal feelings, but to me it is clean and simple. I haven't had a single issue with performance, but my card may be a bit better than yours. You buy a theme park game and thats what you get! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

Its funny.. No matter what the game is or how much money they throw at it, it will never be perfect for everyone.

That said.. I guess Im a fanboy because I absolutely love the game. Early on the graphics bugged me, but after seeing some of the content.. graphics.. what graphics.. to busy having fun to worry about graphics.

They took all the best parts of other games and made a solid one.. Questing isnt just kill 10.. kll 15.. they mix it up.. They dont tell you everything either..so no hand holding.. There have been numerous quests where ive racked my brain for 15 min trying to figure how to get to a place...

Havent got to do any raiding yet, but the dungeons are fun. World bosses are a blast. Adventure zones are better than I thought they would be.

100% glad I bought this game.

As much as I hate to say this.. If Carbine keeps doing a good job and content continues to flow.. Blizzard may have a problem.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • AustiepantsAustiepants Member Posts: 8

Have you tried Stormtalon's Lair yet? (The level 20 dungeon) It is quite different from your average "beginner MMO dungeon".  Leveling is fairly quick and so far it seems the more I play it, the more I like it.

Also, while the UI isn't the prettiest, the elements are movable. By pressing ESC->Interface->Window Tab you will see several options to interact with the UI elements. If movable is checked then the respective element is currently unlocked and can be moved. If movable and "...with key" are checked then the element is movable but only while holding CTRL. Hope this helps.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Wildstar followed the best UI in the market, WoWs. WoWs UI is made up of nothing but player made add ons. Its how it become the best. Carbine made a base UI and has given the code and wicked tools to make add ons. Much like WoW as the best addons pop up, Carbine will do what Blizzard did, add them to the stock UI. The UI add on project started back in beta and the community is doing a great job, go check it out.

You an MMOer? You new to this? 15 years of MMOing myself and its rare you get a really smooth launch. You dont like bugs, lag, server Q times and any other problem something as big as a MMO launching can have. Stop playing and come back in 3-6 months. It will be smooth as butter then.

Its not about whats new and there is some. Its about the first MMO in 15 years to launch with a real Elder game. They skipped all the fluffy stuff like voice over quests and just went right to the meat of what makes a MMO good. Here is the list...

• Veteran Dungeons and Adventures
    • Open World Bosses
    • 20 man raids
    • 40 man raids
    • 80 man raid for final weapon Imbuements
    • 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 Arenas
    • Battlegrounds
    • Warplots (Battle housing including the ability to summon bosses to fight with you)
    • Paths (Reasons to do additional content of your choosing)
    • A crafting system with talents and specializations within a chosen craft
    • Story line that can be done solo, that takes you through the raid dungeons and gives you more lore detail than actually doing the raid.
    • Elder solo story unlocked level 50 that going to be updated to keep solo gamers playing
    • Shiphands (Solo dungeon runs you can bring friends on)
    • Zone events
    • Housing
    • Guild Housing Post launch
  • blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259

Regarding the cheap feeling you get..

To me, Carbine did to MMOs, what Runic did to Dungeon Crawlers with Torchlight.

Both games are pretty polished, both were full of features (new and old) that are sometimes presented in a semi old fashioned way (wall of text quests, etc.) and both are "cartoony". Yet both feel a little "less" than they should, but I don't exactly know why, because they have everything going for them vs the top of the line  in their specific genre.

It may just be because their universe if pretty over the top and it needs some "getting used to" to really get into it? I don't really know...

That's not to say I don't like Wildstar though, I'm having fun so far, and I think they did an awsome job with it from what I have seen so far, but I think it will grow on me the more I will play  it (like Torchlight kind of did).

Sorry if I can't explain it more, but I really got the exact same feeling after my first time with both games!

• GrootGroot Member UncommonPosts: 87
    Originally posted by blastermaster

Regarding the cheap feeling you get..

To me, Carbine did to MMOs, what Runic did to Dungeon Crawlers with Torchlight.

Both games are pretty polished, both were full of features (new and old) that are sometimes presented in a semi old fashioned way (wall of text quests, etc.) and both are "cartoony". Yet both feel a little "less" than they should, but I don't exactly know why, because they have everything going for them vs the top of the line  in their specific genre.

It may just be because their universe if pretty over the top and it needs some "getting used to" to really get into it? I don't really know...

That's not to say I don't like Wildstar though, I'm having fun so far, and I think they did an awsome job with it from what I have seen so far, but I think it will grow on me the more I will play  it (like Torchlight kind of did).

Sorry if I can't explain it more, but I really got the exact same feeling after my first time with both games!

The Torchlight comment is spot on.  That's exactly how it feels.  When I play Torchlight I get the Diablo feeling, and really enjoy it.  When I play Wildstar I get the "this really feels like WoW, just a different universe...and I enjoy it.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I am a becoming a huge fan of this game and I am 1000% happy I bought it on pre-order but I can totally see where you are coming from on the UI comment. The UI is my least favorite part though it is perfectly functional, just butt ugly. Still, I would rather have a fully functional, relatively ergonomic UI like WS's than a beautiful UI that does not work that well.

No performance issues past headstart so can't say anything about your second point.

The third point is that to me it does not feel like WoW at least on the Dominion side. I rolled an Exile just to see what it was like and oddly I did get some déjà-vu of especially Ashenvale, which is not unwelcome. The combat and other game mechanics outside of the questing do not remind me at all of WoW's, more like a combination of Rift and GW2. Carbine has managed to put together elements of all three games in an awesome way. And no, the gameworld seems to me a bit more fluid and less structured than WoW's current version, though I would agree with you that vanilla WoW's outdoor world certainly had a lot more in common with WS's. You can tell that some of the devs worked on vanilla WoW, but there is definitely a break with current day WoW in my opinion.

Still, since vanilla WoW is one of the best MMO experiences I ever had I don't mind. WS still feels sufficiently different to scratch a different itch and feels very much like its own game to me.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.