Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

GW 1 and GW 2

GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnPosts: 2,474Member Uncommon

I just wanted to check if I am the only one here who loved GW 1 and can't stand GW 2. I'll accept the reverse as well(hated GW, love GW 2). Please use the examples.

Thank you!

Comments

• ArtwolfArtwolf Georgetown, SCPosts: 29Member
    I can't say that I "hated" GW1, but I could never get into it. I find GW2 very enjoyable - play almost every day. I only pvp tho. WvW and PvE once in a blue moon.
  • MeowheadMeowhead New Carlisle, INPosts: 3,716Member

I enjoyed both, but in different ways.  They're different games.

Luckily I happen to like both types.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Baltimore, MDPosts: 1,539Member Uncommon
    To be specific i loved gw1 pvp and gw2 butchered it for me. I can't believe the same company ma d e both games

Steam: Neph

• LudwikLudwik Rochester, NYPosts: 401Member Uncommon
    I also really enjoyed both games though GW1 was a bit better in my opinion.

My biggest knock with GW2 is that the game seems to just stop once you reach a certain point. Those first 3 months while still progressing to max level were fantastic.

I don't know, living story doesn't do it for me. Many of those updates feel like their the same just with different colored rats and bats. GW1's expansions felt epic even if they were buggy and made the rest of the game irrelevant.

If there is a GW3 Ill definitely pick it up. Hopefully they will integrate the first 2 games together and it will be awesome.
  • GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnPosts: 2,474Member Uncommon

They are different alright. It's just that I can't put my finger on it/define it.

The lack of dedicated Healer/protter just killed it for me. Add in dodging and...ugh! From the flexibility of GW 1(prot prayers rock!) to random dodges. I just don't get it. Why discard such powerful pieces of game design such as interrupt Mesmer/prot monk?

What are the Main differences?

(I readily admit that I wanted GW+ instead of GW 2)

• DestaiDestai Detroit, MIPosts: 574Member
    Originally posted by Gorwe

I just wanted to check if I am the only one here who loved GW 1 and can't stand GW 2. I'll accept the reverse as well(hated GW, love GW 2). Please use the examples.

Thank you!

While I enjoy both games, the first one is definitely more special to me. The second one can't match the original in terms of story or skills, but the combat is certainly better. The first one was better because it was more akin to Diablo, whereas the second one is trying to be an MMO but falling short of the depth I expect.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,828Member Uncommon

I love both for different reasons.

First I have to say I play GW1 and GW2 not mainly as MMORPGs (which is mainly a meh genre) but as a next evolution of ARPGs, which I used to enjoy but 10 years later they still are the same old game play.

GW1 is the best party based RPG where you control and build a party. The fact it was all instanced allowed the AI to be quite interesting.

GW2 has the most interesting explore the world and have adventures while you do it. Additionally I enjoy the combat of GW2 way more than the GW1 combat and both tower over ARPGs old gameplay.

All the above is in my opinion which is the only opinion I express.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• MalaboogaMalabooga aadadaPosts: 1,543Member Uncommon

They are different alright. It's just that I can't put my finger on it/define it.

The lack of dedicated Healer/protter just killed it for me. Add in dodging and...ugh! From the flexibility of GW 1(prot prayers rock!) to random dodges. I just don't get it. Why discard such powerful pieces of game design such as interrupt Mesmer/prot monk?

Thats part of problem for you. YOu wanted GW 1.5

While you may think they did what they did just becasue and not based on their actual development and experience of GW1, that is your right, but i beg to differ, GW1 had huge probelms with lot of things and only illusion of choice, while GW2 has less illusion of choice but actually more real choice.

You mayprefer one or the other, but personally i prefer GW2 approach.

• ScalplessScalpless SnowballvillePosts: 1,396Member Uncommon
    They're very different games and I like both, but GW1 is definitely the one I like more. GW2 has its strengths, but it's too bad it failed to recreate any of GW1's strengths. The "no expansions" policy hurt it the most, I think.
  • lekittenlekitten Surprise, AZPosts: 14Member

To me, GW1 will always outdo GW2. Nostalgia aside, I feel it was just treated more lovingly while being made. Guild Wars 2 has the same fantastic atmosphere and they did a very good job of making me feel it was the same world, but for whatever reason, it just seems all over the place with the story. It has a lot to improve on to make me interested again. Not to say it's not a good game, but at the moment, it's just not right for me. The good part of it is it has so much wiggle room in the direction they choose to go. If they want to keep down the path of encouraging zergs, trading money for gems then gold (which they remind us of often enough) and throwing in a random costume to buy with gems now and then, I don't think I will touch it. 

However, if they add more things like they did with the Feature pack, then I will be more than delighted to return. 

Things I would like to see in the future, personally:

- Guild Halls

- Actual GUILD WARS

- Improving the home instances with some sort of customization option

- Something that will bring me back to high level zones

- Ritualists!

And I feel like I'm the only person who prefers the holy trinity in my games. Why? Because it encourages group cooperation and planning. Zerging and whatever has it's moments, but I'd love being able to do something more meaningful to help my team. 

Just personal opinions. 

• DiggotsILaggotsDiggotsILaggots HindPosts: 24Member

You can heal in GW2 if you're playing support. Create a Guardian or an Elementalist, or even Necro and you're ready to go. My favorite is Guardian or Elementalist though.

• kosackosac Bakov nad JizerouPosts: 189Member Uncommon

Thank you!

you are not alone.. i know many ppl... ;) GW2 is not GW its only name..

• kiravelikiraveli Magical city in the sky, CTPosts: 63Member
    As someone who refused to touch gw1 for years I would have to say it was far better than gw2. I only picked it up to do all the HoM achievs since I had pre ordered gw2. I forced myself to play and found I really enjoyed it.

I liked that I could completely change the feel of my character as I saw fit. I remember running around with a pet as an ele just cause I could. Also had a ton of fun with the trade chat and just using my ectos wisely and getting that special shiny armor for my little pyre. I don't even want to know how many minis I have. Also got transformation items and my fiery dog. There was just something better about gw1.

There was something far better about the lore too. I really enjoyed the characters and was excited for more tyria in gw2 but felt like it was a huge let down. Living story was so boring for me. And not getting to interact with the characters I wanted just because I was X race.

I won't even go into my hatred for gw2 combat and removal of trinity. As a healer main I had never felt so bored. No one needed nor wanted help you all just aoe and move on. No reason to group or do anything.

I feel like they really missed a chance to improve on gw1 and make it an amazing b2p mmo with great pvp and unique classes and class building. Instead I got this zergfest game with meaningless classes. People only want wars and guards anyway....
  • DakeruDakeru Posts: 1,653Member Uncommon

That this discussion is still going on after all this time.

Did you guys ever see the statement of the devs that GW1 was an online rpg while GW2 is a mmo?

I know it's hard to differ nowadays with heavily instanced games like SWTOR calling themselves mmos but there is still a difference.

I have an entitlement delusion - because I have this strange idea that my 50$ should have the same value as anyone else's 50$
    "Your account is not entitled to the same value as a new account. Just saying you are entitled to the same as someone else because you said so is exactly what expresses your entitlement issues."

• NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by Dakeru

Did you guys ever see the statement of the devs that GW1 was an online rpg while GW2 is a mmo?

I know it's hard to differ nowadays with heavily instanced games like SWTOR calling themselves mmos but there is still a difference.

i know anet says that but GW1 is just as much a mmo as Dungeons and Dragons Online

in both games - only the town outposts are the public areas

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,553Member Uncommon

Liked GW1 a lot.

Disliked GW2 a lot - dropped it after a month, tried going back but I just can't stand it.

There are only a handful of games I dislike more than GW2 - WS comes to mind as the most recent one.

• LydonLydon Cape TownPosts: 2,913Member Uncommon

I, too, like both games for different reasons. I like the fact that GW2 is so much less restrictive in terms of movement around the world. When I log into GW1 I feel stuck to the floor. But, even though I love how fast-paced and movement-oriented the GW2 combat system is, I liked the fact that GW1 combat was more "mathematical" and there were so many approaches each class could take towards combat, especially with the second profession mechanic.

Thankfully they're both still alive and kicking, so I can enjoy both as needed ^.^ I haven't played any meaningful GW1 since the release of GW2...I just log in every now and then and run around looking at areas for nostalgic value. As well as to open birthday presents of course!

• DakeruDakeru Posts: 1,653Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DMKano

Liked GW1 a lot.

Disliked GW2 a lot - dropped it after a month, tried going back but I just can't stand it.

There are only a handful of games I dislike more than GW2 - WS comes to mind as the most recent one.

What about ESO? I think I'm not only speaking for myself when I say we really enjoyed your rants about the failures of that game.

Originally posted by Nadia

i know anet says that but GW1 is just as much a mmo as Dungeons and Dragons Online

in both games - only the town outposts are the public areas

Then I would rather say it speaks for D&D not being a MMO either.

I have an entitlement delusion - because I have this strange idea that my 50$ should have the same value as anyone else's 50$
    "Your account is not entitled to the same value as a new account. Just saying you are entitled to the same as someone else because you said so is exactly what expresses your entitlement issues."

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Boring, TXPosts: 1,172Member Uncommon

Loved Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2 was alright up until Nov 2012 when it turned into CateringToCasualCon 2013.

Also Rits were and still are cancer.

• AmjocoAmjoco Layton, UTPosts: 4,781Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Artwolf
    I can't say that I "hated" GW1, but I could never get into it. I find GW2 very enjoyable - play almost every day. I only pvp tho. WvW and PvE once in a blue moon.

Same for me. GW1 had a clunky interface I couldn't get use to. I did my best though and did play when my sons played for a bit. I had somewhat the same problem with DAoC and it's character control.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• FindarielFindariel SomewherePosts: 216Member

GW1 was a game I absolutely loved, even though it had its flaws - like no user friendly trading system.

I actually forgot a lot - but GW1 was definitely a better game, imo. Perhaps I expected too much from GW2 but I played it a lot less and have quit for quite a while now (although having reached lvl80 with 5 classes: warrior, guardian, mesmer, elementalist, ranger) while I played GW1 for years.

I'm (mostly) a PvE player, and i mostly missed things like the need for good teamwork, roles (why everyone DPS and hardly any support? And the mesmers in GW1 were really awesome compared to GW2!), challenging content, a good reward system (the hardest dungeons basically give the same reward as 10 minute rushes, compared to the special stuff you could get in for instance FoW and UW in GW1). The very limited class options because of  weapon skills - of which most are rather useless so most classes only have 1 or 2 good options which everyone expects you to equip (same with runes and stuff). More emphasis on gear (vs player skill) was also a bit of a letdown. And I absolutely hate all the mindless boss zergs, couldn't they have invented something that requires at least a bit of skill?! Also, no guild halls?

Let's hope GW3 will combine the good things form both games! :)

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,553Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Dakeru
    Originally posted by DMKano

Liked GW1 a lot.

What about ESO? I think I'm not only speaking for myself when I say we really enjoyed your rants about the failures of that game.

I enjoyed ESO a metric ton more than GW2 and WS combined.

Bugs and technical issues aside 1-50 ESO is very decent, VR is a total mess however (which is where the vast majority of players hit the wall and quit).

The problem with ESO is how inexperienced Zenimax is at running a MMO, the game would have turned out a lot better in another more experienced Dev studios hands.

ZOS will go down in history as the makers of the worst Elder Scrolls game in the franchise.

• devilisciousdeviliscious dallas, TXPosts: 6,906Member

I tried really hard to like this game, but I get so irritated while playing it, I just don't think it will happen. I adored GW1, filled out the surveys, promoted GW2 on here, think ANet  are the best,  have owned this game since the day it was released and have friends and family that want me to play this game..  so I have many reasons to love it, but I don't.  

1) The broken camera.  No first person, no camera options, camera doesn't follow you.  This frustrated me so much my game has collected dust  since day 1 due to the broken camera. Can't see anything if you are up against a wall or under a tree, constantly having to babysit the camera it takes away from being able to actually enjoy the game. I quit the game on the first day over the camera hoping they would fix it in time. They didn't. 

2) Is it bad that  I would like to punch the person who thought of linking jumping puzzle vistas to map completion in the nose? If I want to play mario, I play mario, not a mmorpg. The views are great,  and should have other options to complete vistas than jumping. Like you can choose to jump and not be attacked, or you can fight your way through.  forcing everyone to do jumping puzzles to finish map completion is the worst idea ever. Having them in the game is fine for those who like them, but  linking them to map completion is just trying to force them on everyone.

3) Love to play rangers, but HATE  western/ steampunk armor. I have tried to give it a chance, I just hate it no matter what I try to do to it, and until they add more options I still have not even seen any armor I do like :s. I prefered gw1  armors so much more. I like the elementalist armors, but they don't give you options to wear those styles for all the classes, or even create comparable styles for each class. 

4) Needs options to turn off special effects. Even on the lowest settings it is awful and in combination with the bad camera you can't see anything half the time.

There are some really awesome things about this game, I love the event system, the fluency of going from one thing to the next,  they did a great job on so many things about this game,  I guess that makes it worse for me because it kills me I hate it over the stupid camera, special effects and jumping puzzles so much I can't stand to play it. 

EDIT: I  also loved how I could just PVP on GW1 from the start if I wanted to and I stayed in the arenas for the most part from the beginning and would primarily level in there. On gw2 You cannot  do very  well  at low lvl and are forced to pve. I honeslty hate pve so that made the jumping puzzle thing even worse.

• BellamySnipeBellamySnipe WürzburgPosts: 2Member

i really prefer gw1 a lot more than gw2. gosh, i cant tell you how much i miss the pvp on the awesome maps between kurzicks and luxons. it was sooo insane great. 

plus, the chance to great ur own unique class by mixing up 2 classes was the best thing an mmo could have.

and now, we got gw2. i played my main bout 400h and a twink 300h. Yeah its a "nice" time, but lets be honest. gw2 is awesome till 80, but then; sooooooo freaking boring. Aweful combat. Who wants those dumb 5 skills bound to a weapon? the whole skill palette is boring. first i thought its only my opinion, but i started with soooo many friends playing gw2 and maybe 30% reached lvl80.

and these update politicy. who needs this dumb living storys? if i want more of the "kill 8 dinosaurs" i can play another asia-mmo.

dont get me wrong, i dont hate gw2, its a great game ( i loved jumpingpuzzles for example), but it shouldnt be "Guild Wars". It should be a spinoff oder anyhting else, but it throws EVERY FUCKING good point in gw away and goes straight to the casual market. yeah <3.

just my few words. and yeah my english is horrible, but im no native speaker ;)

• TheQuietGamerTheQuietGamer brightonPosts: 317Member

Thank you!

As a huge fan of GW1 I was horribly disappointed by GW2, so you are not alone.