Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I have to come clean...

SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317

I got a rager going for Archeage, and i havent even played it yet..Sad i know, but iv done 1 month of research on this game and probably over 10 hours of streaming watched. (Thank you Bikeman for the most entertaining videos ever and educational)

This game looks too fucking good, for me. Im going to contiue this post acting as if you all already know the systems in the game and understand what im talking about to save this thread from being a massy explaination and just lengthy in general, but its probably still guna happen.

This game to me is Eve, Rift, Darkfall, Wurm online, Farmville, Pirates of the burning sea. All in one to me.

Movies / shows it reminds me of: Pirates of the Caribbean and Sword Art online.

Strong Economy that many things contribute to. Love the idea of trade packs, Theres a sense of player looting but not as intense as Darkfall (a full player loot system) Keeps people going out in the world, and not being Bank huggers cuz their afraid of losing their shit or just to poor to contiue PvP in any form.

The variety of mounts in this game, Oh my, oh my, and they all have a health pool. A real reason to have multipul mounts, 1 dies, fuck it, ride another one and procrastinate until you run out of all your mounts....lol

The Jail system/ wanted system, damn, did it really have to take this long for someone to make a fun and working alignment system. Thank you XLGames. Cuz you know what the fucker with the 24 hour debuff is really guna think really hard about commiting a crime next time.

The naval combat in this game makes Darkfalls naval combat look like a fucking joke. Harpoons, Physics *AV wishs they could even implement Physics into their game properly*, REAL variety in boats, a real fishing boat, not just a boat with the name "Fishing Boat" cuz it looks like one but has no real benefit.

Real Free Housing, Farming, and city placement. None of that "This spot is for houses, you can put your house there, no were else." Or you want a city? okay here is a layout for a city you can fight for it and own the same thing over and over and over. Archeage puts these 2 in their place by saying "here are the tools and walls, gates, and building models, if you make a penis shaped city and have everyone where white that goes to the city.....thats on you. Penis people..... lol...you get the point =]

I like how i can mix match classes to make what i want. Diffrent combos for diffrent playstyles and diffrent things i might wana do in my day, Different combo for land vs naval combat...Possibilities.

Every gripe iv heard for Archegae that exludes the fact that its in alpha/beta is the fact that its not full loot, that trade packs are wonky and tab target is "terrible".... In truth these are all personal opinions. For me combat is combat, if its fluid/ smooth, works good and interesting, then its good in my book.

Im not trying to sound like a fanboy, but damn this is 1 game that has one good rep with its players and me. I even tried finding rants on youtube for archeage just to see the negatives, nothing came up lol.

Theres always haters out there, but hey no game is for everyone.

And if you do the math, people be like you crazy as fuck to buy a $150 alpha, or a 50 dollar 3-5 day beta events.

But in the Archeum pack (150) JUST the store credit (75 dollars worth) and the patron months given (3 months, each at 15 per, coming to 45 in total) is 120 value, not even mentioning the other items your getting. Thats Alpha and a bunch of bonus items  (put the worth of the items yourself) for 30 bucks. and 4 day head start.

for the 50 buck pack is 1 month and 25 bucks worth of in store credit, thats 35 bucks of stuff, 15 bucks for closed beta, and 4 day head start, along with the few items in the silver pack. 

Not to bad people. Not spending the money on the alpha, your spending the money on the games final product in advance (For trion to see how secure the game is in NA, and what not)

So hey, lets hold hold hands and....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTv-Fm8lCK0

P.S: Alpha Players leave your feedback on your gameplay, experiences and feelings about the games.

People that are Interested in Archeage leave your comments too!

[mod edit]

...I wish Archeage would do its final release in Summer time, i dont wana juggle college and a new game at once.

Comments

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865
    Ha ha ha! You have a rager.
  • KanesterKanester Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Pissing my pants just reading you post (in excitment), cant spend £100 right nowbecause im building a house, my misses would nail my balls to the blockwork and i dont want to have to rebuild anything...... cant wait to play, this game has everything for me.
  • rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

P.S: Alpha Players leave your feedback on your gameplay, experiences and feelings about the games.

Its the best thing for me, thats playable out there actually.

Still, after about 2 months total playtime, its very fun.

ArcheAge for sure has its weak spots, but we in the Alpha still play on a elder build and awaiting the Trion tuned 1.0 .

Not mutch to add, becuz i wanna login now :p

• DeathsmindDeathsmind Member UncommonPosts: 185
  • DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Kanester
    Pissing my pants just reading you post (in excitment), cant spend £100 right nowbecause im building a house, my misses would nail my balls to the blockwork and i dont want to have to rebuild anything...... cant wait to play, this game has everything for me.

Quoted and made more evident for posterity :))) one day your kids shall read that and suddenly love their dad more :P

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Snakex

This game to me is Eve, Rift, Darkfall, Wurm online, Farmville, Pirates of the burning sea. All in one to me.

I see parts of UO, DAoC, Eve,SWG, and LoTRO in it.. Got a level 17 and a 24 , keep telling myself not to play so much to avoid burnout but it is like having a open bag of potato chips sitting on the couch while drinking a cold one. Just one more chip...er lvl

I miss DAoC

• chaintmchaintm Member UncommonPosts: 953

Been playing the alpha for awhile now and to the OP I know (with your comments ) you will enjoy this game very much so. I however do want to clarify something's you mentioned that are actually not exactly right....

- The game is in alpha for north America, it is actually live else were for over a year now (you probably know this) but most of what you see won't change, our changes are only rule sets and them finishing the English translations, for instance all voice acting atm is still in Korean and so are all cut scenes.

- What they can change are rules on how things work, not the actual workings of the game. For example, the limited the "time in jail" aspect, it was recently reduced.

- They (Trion) changed the way packs will work, over-seas the new implementation only allows for coin collection (not gold) in pvp to safe zones run. Our guess here is XL is trying to get more pvp action going on those servers. The worry here is Trion is making the US servers a bit more pve then pvp. However, (personal opinion) I believe it will work out just fine.

What I do worry about thou is oversea players jumping ship too our server rules. To be honest, I don't see how XL can back up these changes, it's going to happen as the cry's of unfairness are abound on the Russian/Korean servers due to these changes that we won't have here. Will be interesting to see how this all turns out, but does again worry me some on my somewhat large investment up front for the game.

Finally housing is pretty open but not as much as your saying, there are location where housing can go so indeed we are a bit "limited" where this can happen. However, it is not an instance or a separate part of the game. It is in the actual main game play areas and in this you would be correct. But just like swg, their where limited places you can place things. However, in AA those places make more sense then say swg placement was. Also housing will ONLY be allowed for montly paying customers, free to play won't get this option. Arguments on this topic are many as half the game is actually owning land, but in the end there is definitely plenty more to do without land, (haven't owned land in alpha yet but helped a friend out) I have been doing plenty without it, thou I do love making ships and you need land to do that or a friend that has land.

Anyways, most of what you did say is pretty much spot on. AA is definitely the new sand box/ open world game , the nay sayers will jump on board., I have to admit it, sense swg and daoc, nothing has come this close. I thought ESO pvp was dam fun till I learned about the vet grinds in that game and could see what the future would be beyond the initial r10 (which surprise they now raised) , so it had promise but nothing like AA.

I can also be pretty confident the game I am playing now in AA is AA, being it's been out now for multiple months in other countries, our difference again is change in rules sets and languages, beyond that thou, it is AA as is.

I enjoy the fact we are getting TRION's anti-cheat system. While not pervious it helps allot, so much so they actually perm-banned alpha players who bought the game at 150.00, that says allot about their thoughts on cheating in AA. That alone makes the game worth playing, however I have another worry in this department. Being it's so easy to mask IP's and other system specs and this game is free to play, it will be a endless non-stop pursuit of banning repeatable offenders. While this game out of all free to play pvp type games will be best to handle it, I still think there will be issues even with the built in player judgment system. Time will tell how this part goes thou.

What my preference would be to be honest is a paying server and free-to-play servers. I have yet to see a company willing to gamble on this concept, but I bet the first one that does will see a huge incline in subs. Just saying.

Anyways, enjoy it when it does come out thou, it's a blast!

PS. the word is btw beta soon!

"The monster created isn't by the company that makes the game, it's by the fans that make it something it never was"

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317
    Originally posted by chaintm

- They (Trion) changed the way packs will work, over-seas the new implementation only allows for coin collection (not gold) in pvp to safe zones run. Our guess here is XL is trying to get more pvp action going on those servers. The worry here is Trion is making the US servers a bit more pve then pvp. However, (personal opinion) I believe it will work out just fine.

What I do worry about thou is oversea players jumping ship too our server rules. To be honest, I don't see how XL can back up these changes, it's going to happen as the cry's of unfairness are abound on the Russian/Korean servers due to these changes that we won't have here. Will be interesting to see how this all turns out, but does again worry me some on my somewhat large investment up front for the game.

I can also be pretty confident the game I am playing now in AA is AA, being it's been out now for multiple months in other countries, our difference again is change in rules sets and languages, beyond that thou, it is AA as is.

Chaintm, are you talking about the gilda stars becoming intercontinental with a 80/20 trade off for the packs between crafter and pirate? Along with dailies i believe to get gilda stars too? As i believe what  i heard was korea made their version More PvE, i believe it was 60/40, they talk about it in the twitch stream. They made NA's trade packs more hardcore. I understand the diffrence, its to make the cool stuff a Risk vs Reward scenerio, instead of a Guild Wars 2 style Vistas, exploration and what not. But on the flip side, easy money making my getting a wagon and doing intracontinental trade runs, specially for the non 50's.

Side note, housing of course has to be limited in some way, or you get a house in the middle of a mob spawn. But i saw people place a house on a random island thats not even on the fucking map, amazing. But some 1 thats f2p, can feed gold to their friend that is paying monthly to pay taxes on a extra farm for the f2p person or a house, or a house and a farm for the f2p, its like living in an apartment lol, you gotta pay the landlord.

I have two friends that are going to play with me but wont pay a Sub for the love of their live, but i am. Hence i will have them live with me, but also have them help me pay for my house and farm, so i can even manage a bigger house and a bigger farm.

• QuesaQuesa Member UncommonPosts: 1,432
    I think people continuously stating how this game (or any game) will have a strong economy don't have any idea of what a strong economy looks like.  AA doesn't have a gear decay and destruction mechanic and I don't think trade and consumables will be able to sustain the economy, to the extent of the description 'strong'.
    Star Citizen Referral Code: STAR-DPBM-Z2P4
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

I'm a big skeptic of Asian MMORPGs and developers coming stateside.  It always works out badly, with bug reporting and things being wrong.  Until a western publisher proves it can make the proper changes necessary for western audiences I always will be. I'm also not a fan of spending premium prices for alpha entry for a game I don't have information on (check my history).

With all the above said, I had the opportunity to play Archeage (Alpha) for free. From there I turned around and got the $150 package. I'm still the same skeptic as I was before, but I have yet to regret spending.

The game DOES have some very very typical mmorpg aspects. It is tab target, and dice roll... but very high paced. The story line and task quests are disposable, the dungeons are mediocre at best, but outside of that they honestly have just about got everything else right.  The little details, the weight of the activities to your movement, it's all a breath of fresh air for me.

With proper tweaks to some silly RNG aspects, the criminal & jury system and continued balancing of skills Archeage stands to be a great collection of features that a western company should start with when building a game with OWPVP.

If you take the questing, lore and dungeon mechanics from TSW, the combat from Black Desert, TERA and others, and add in all the cool details from Archeage you'd have the perfect mmorpg for ME. 

For now Archeage is very addicting.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317
    Originally posted by Quesa
    I think people continuously stating how this game (or any game) will have a strong economy don't have any idea of what a strong economy looks like.  AA doesn't have a gear decay and destruction mechanic and I don't think trade and consumables will be able to sustain the economy, to the extent of the description 'strong'.

Im not saying this games going to have a amazingly strong economy, but i dont get what your trying to point out with the decay and destrcution (you destroy boats and thus need the hourglass)

But WoW's ecoonomy is pretty damn nice, and Darkfalls economy is a joke.... go compare these two yourself please. You will see what im trying to point out.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865

Though first of all... the feeling on this game vary very very much. Its a very personal and subjective game.

I myself however am really loving it. The combatsystem is not innovative at all and close to the normal MMO's system (WoW etc.) .. however .. this isnt bad at all, that kind of combat has always been consistently fun and just generally nice, while alot of innovative combat just fails to deliver (gw2 is imo still the only game that managed to make a new way of combat popular without ruining it fully) ... the quests are just normal but i havent felt bored yet. The graphics are at some places really amazing, though at other spots the textures on certian parts of trees for example are slightly low.

I like how simple touches as climbing stuff, airships, carriages, leveling up/gearing up/taming mounts etc.

I myself havent been able to touch the full naval combat etc. yet as im testing out all races and classes etc. first ( dont want to spoil to much for beta/release).

(sorc/shadowplay/witchcraft gets my recommendation btw... squishy, hard to master.. but god is it fun :D .. also.. Firran rule!)

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

Im not saying this games going to have a amazingly strong economy, but i dont get what your trying to point out with the decay and destrcution (you destroy boats and thus need the hourglass)

But WoW's ecoonomy is pretty damn nice, and Darkfalls economy is a joke.... go compare these two yourself please. You will see what im trying to point out.

Ok.. i will try to illustrate what he means with that.. and what concerns not only he has, but a lot of long time follower of ArcheAge.

It is foremost about crafting, the requirement of crafted goods, the requirement of resources and withit the profitability of farming, breeding and gathering.. and the influence it could have on the game, the pvp and almost everything.

In ArcheAge you don't have item decay or item destruction.. that means every item one time produced will exist til end.. very much like WoW. Therefore the demand for new items may be reduced over time, the supply both on items and resources will increase over time, and withit the price for your work(crafting and resources) will decrease.. until that point that you can't earn any serious money from crafting or resources.

Now what a the results?

- You try to do some crafting as a beginner.. and you now have to invest money to get your crafting skill up.. noone is interested in your basic stuff. (Very much like in any themepark.. like in WoW)

- Highlevel crafter.. there is some demand for the best available gear, but there are so many crafter around that you can more or less just demand what the resources costs(and with rng uncertainty) you may even lose money. Because you have a clear over supply. With other words it is just not worth to craft or to cultivate/gather resources

And therefore the economy in WoW is not really that good. But in WoW crafting is just a gimmick, and most items are not from crafters.. so it doesn't much. And even more.. in WoW with every expansion the gear level will be increased and everything starts from scratch.. which also helps highlevel crafter a bid. Lowlevelcrafting is still useless and always was.

How is it in other games with item decay/item destruction.. games like EvE?

There you do have more or less unlimited, or better said neverending demand, because Items get destroyed.. and everyone have to buy now and then a new ship, new fittings, new stuff.. and that for every level.

In EvE

- lowlevel crafting is profitable from the very first step. You can start earning money with crafting or resource gathering the first day you start the game. That stuff is required all the time.. there is a high demand. And that stay that way.

-> Now you get war/pvp to get new resources(which on the other side destroys resources/ships to fill the demand once again) and you have a never ending cycle of demand and supply.. the ingame economy is well on track.

And because AA is in comparsion to WoW a very heavy crafting and resource cultivation game it may affect AA negatively in the future, and there are already signs of  inflation in korea. In the end a sandbox is not a themepark.. and therefore you do need other mechanismn, and one would be item decay/item destruction.

Ok.. just to clear up what item decay/item destruction means:

Item decay - a item will lose duration over time and will with use at one point at time be destroyed. Therefore you have to buy/craft a new one every now and then.

Item destruction(EvE) - Everytime you get killed your ship is destroyed, and most of your ship equipment, and some of your cargo. With other words everytime you get killed(from NPC or PC) some items get destroyed.

Now i could get on, how ArcheAge tries to hold supply up.. rng crafting. But that would again another long post, especially to describe why it doesn't work in the long run.

And what makes me really sad about all this.. ArcheAge had item decay in CBT 3/4. They cut it out, because they thought most customer couldn't handle that they lose their valuable items from time to time.

But maybe.. hopefully.. XLGames or Trion will bring it back at some point and time.

I suspect some of the reason for removing the item destruction/decay is because of the extreme RNG the crafting system has.  It's very 'Asian' and to me, RNG systems are just a disguise for complexity, which it's far from.

I don't think AA can have a truly meaningful and deep economy while it has both an RNG crafting system and no decay/destruction mechanic in game.  While it may advertise and even seem like it's a ground-up economic game I don't believe it has the proper mechanics in place to allow a truly player-driven economy of the likes of Eve Online.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

I am having a blast in alpha and have gone from a skeptic to a fanboy in a month of playing.
    PvP is fun, but I am finding just exploring to be the most enjoyable aspect so far.
    Hope to see you in beta.

I suspect some of the reason for removing the item destruction/decay is because of the extreme RNG the crafting system has.  It's very 'Asian' and to me, RNG systems are just a disguise for complexity, which it's far from.

I don't think AA can have a truly meaningful and deep economy while it has both an RNG crafting system and no decay/destruction mechanic in game.  While it may advertise and even seem like it's a ground-up economic game I don't believe it has the proper mechanics in place to allow a truly player-driven economy of the likes of Eve Online.

Archeage does not have to have a economy better than EvE, it just has to have a better economy than most other MMOs'other than  EvE. It does not need to have a better crafting system than SWG, it just needs one better than any mainstream MMO's other than SWG. For me the fun of Archeage is that it gives me a tremendous amount of features that were done  really well,  not that it did  any single thing better than any other game. It's the JOAT of MMO's.

I miss DAoC

• RynetRynet Member UncommonPosts: 114
    I got into the alpha via just applying on the official website and I played it probably 10 mins and logged out and never looked back /shrugs
  • RlechotRlechot Member UncommonPosts: 25

I spend $150 a month at Starbucks...........So I quit Starbucks for one month and it was worth it!

This game is sick! It's so addicting that I was told this morning (when I went to bed at 4:00am), that if I play again tonight, my wife is leaving me. Guess I need to reign it in a bit. Hmmmmm wife or ArcheAge?

Originally posted by Jackdog

Archeage does not have to have a economy better than EvE, it just has to have a better economy than most other MMOs'other than  EvE. It does not need to have a better crafting system than SWG, it just needs one better than any mainstream MMO's other than SWG. For me the fun of Archeage is that it gives me a tremendous amount of features that were done  really well,  not that it did  any single thing better than any other game. It's the JOAT of MMO's.

I'm not advocating that it needs to be on par or better than Eve, just stating, as an opinion, that it won't be as good as people believe it to be.

The RNG nature of the crafting system is the only thing that will keep people upgrading gear, for a time, but it will only increase the expense of higher end items while most other items will just be tossed or dismantled for magical essences.  Consumables will probably be the main money generator, as in most games.

.  Consumables will probably be the main money generator, as in most games.

Just my experience but resources have always been the route to go in every game I ever played for sheer gold earning. EvE and SWG were no exceptions. I mined my butt off in both SWG, Eve, and LoTRO and played the markets with the ore

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by Jackdog
    .  Consumables will probably be the main money generator, as in most games.

Just my experience but resources have always been the route to go in every game I ever played for sheer gold earning. EvE and SWG were no exceptions. I mined my butt off in both SWG, Eve, and LoTRO and played the markets with the ore

Well, I can tell you with certainty that mining is close to the bottom of the barrel when it comes to income generating activities in Eve Online.  For WoW, I'd say that gathering is probably up there in terms of income generation but crafting consumables was still better.

In terms of raw resources in general, I think you'll find that resources used in consumable crafting are what generally make the money.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    This game is amazing in my opinion, I think you will like it a lot OP based on your post.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

I got a rager going for Archeage, and i havent even played it yet..Sad i know, but iv done 1 month of research on this game and probably over 10 hours of streaming watched. (Thank you Bikeman for the most entertaining videos ever and educational)

This game looks too fucking good, for me. Im going to contiue this post acting as if you all already know the systems in the game and understand what im talking about to save this thread from being a massy explaination and just lengthy in general, but its probably still guna happen.

Movies / shows it reminds me of: Pirates of the Caribbean and Sword Art online.

Strong Economy that many things contribute to. Love the idea of trade packs, Theres a sense of player looting but not as intense as Darkfall (a full player loot system) Keeps people going out in the world, and not being Bank huggers cuz their afraid of losing their shit or just to poor to contiue PvP in any form.

The variety of mounts in this game, Oh my, oh my, and they all have a health pool. A real reason to have multipul mounts, 1 dies, fuck it, ride another one and procrastinate until you run out of all your mounts....lol

The Jail system/ wanted system, damn, did it really have to take this long for someone to make a fun and working alignment system. Thank you XLGames. Cuz you know what the fucker with the 24 hour debuff is really guna think really hard about commiting a crime next time.

The naval combat in this game makes Darkfalls naval combat look like a fucking joke. Harpoons, Physics *AV wishs they could even implement Physics into their game properly*, REAL variety in boats, a real fishing boat, not just a boat with the name "Fishing Boat" cuz it looks like one but has no real benefit.

Real Free Housing, Farming, and city placement. None of that "This spot is for houses, you can put your house there, no were else." Or you want a city? okay here is a layout for a city you can fight for it and own the same thing over and over and over. Archeage puts these 2 in their place by saying "here are the tools and walls, gates, and building models, if you make a penis shaped city and have everyone where white that goes to the city.....thats on you. Penis people..... lol...you get the point =]

I like how i can mix match classes to make what i want. Diffrent combos for diffrent playstyles and diffrent things i might wana do in my day, Different combo for land vs naval combat...Possibilities.

Every gripe iv heard for Archegae that exludes the fact that its in alpha/beta is the fact that its not full loot, that trade packs are wonky and tab target is "terrible".... In truth these are all personal opinions. For me combat is combat, if its fluid/ smooth, works good and interesting, then its good in my book.

Im not trying to sound like a fanboy, but damn this is 1 game that has one good rep with its players and me. I even tried finding rants on youtube for archeage just to see the negatives, nothing came up lol.

Theres always haters out there, but hey no game is for everyone.

And if you do the math, people be like you crazy as fuck to buy a $150 alpha, or a 50 dollar 3-5 day beta events.

But in the Archeum pack (150) JUST the store credit (75 dollars worth) and the patron months given (3 months, each at 15 per, coming to 45 in total) is 120 value, not even mentioning the other items your getting. Thats Alpha and a bunch of bonus items  (put the worth of the items yourself) for 30 bucks. and 4 day head start.

for the 50 buck pack is 1 month and 25 bucks worth of in store credit, thats 35 bucks of stuff, 15 bucks for closed beta, and 4 day head start, along with the few items in the silver pack. 

Not to bad people. Not spending the money on the alpha, your spending the money on the games final product in advance (For trion to see how secure the game is in NA, and what not)

So hey, lets hold hold hands and....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTv-Fm8lCK0

People that are Interested in Archeage leave your comments too!

[mod edit]

...I wish Archeage would do its final release in Summer time, i dont wana juggle college and a new game at once.

You are going to be very disappointed, you have blown the game up too much, overhyped it in your head.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

I played the Russian beta and it was nice but you could see its a AA free to play game and its not open world.

I got bored after 3 days sorry not interested also not in wildstar waiting for destiny,warhammer and EQN.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Truth, have to have item decay or there is no player driven economy.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"