Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Movement ,Strafing, mouseturn

cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

My son and I got into a fight today. He says that I have to use the number keys above my WASD and get to my skills this way . The reason is I use a G700 mouse . I have mapped 1-0 on it and I use my WASD QE for movement and strafing. I mainly strafe when I am fighting and move out of telegraphs this way. When it is a large telegraph I get way out  and still manage with longer range skills to hit the mob. (That is why I gave the Medic up too short the attacks even if the attacks have a wider cone)

Now a typical fight has me circle strafing the mob and moving out of the telegraph using my WASD . The thing is he says I have to press down the right mouse button to move my position which is true I use that for normal movement when I am not fighting I mainly move with my left and right button pressed down and not WASD. I cannot however use this method because I need to use my index finger and my middle finger to get to all the buttons on the mouse. I unable to work in the right mouse press because it is very awkward and he said I cannot heal any dungeon unless I do.

Can anyone looking at my mouse picture below  suggest a change in my programming of the buttons to help with this.  The top three on the left is my number 1-3, the side thumb buttons are 4-7 and the scroll is 8, 9 (sidescrolls) and 0.

Chamber of Chains

Comments

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Somehow i dont understand the problem... i myself have  a Naga mouse and i have 1-0 set up on the side keys...

- I have set up middle mouse button to dodge

-I use the A and D keys with the right mouse button to strafe.. (standard)

i would love to help, but i dont see where your problem is...  maybe its in the awkward position of your buttons on your mouse?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

I cannot use the right mouse pressed down all the time with my middle finger because it makes getting to the skill buttons awkward . He says that is the way to be able to stay out of telegraphs. He means to use the mouse turn all the time while using the WASD  but using mouse turn to turn. 

I have been circle strafing mainly to kill but he says in dungeons I need to use the mouse turn or else I will doom the group as a healer. He plays a healer in FFXIV ARR both white mage and scholar.

The mouse works very well for me but if I place my middle finger pressed down on the right mouse button I cannot get to the side and top 3 buttons very smoothly it is cumbersome. I hope you understand what I am saying. So far I have taken on with my Esper and Spellslinger up to 5 mobs without any difficulty and avoiding telegraphs but if he is right I think I might have to give up the game  if I cannot mouse turn.

Chamber of Chains
  • blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259

I don't play Wildstar now (still waiting for a guest pass.. ;)  ),  but is'nt there a way to have the "mouse move" toggled, which would remove the necessity to have you keeping that right button clicked 100% of the time while fighting?

I'm sure they've thought of that no?

The mouse button pressed down is to mouse turn. Not part of the game skills sorry. Someone even posted on the Wildstar boards that they will not group with keyboard turners.

I have a key I will send you one blast. EU key.

Chamber of Chains
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by blastermaster

I don't play Wildstar now (still waiting for a guest pass.. ;)  ),  but is'nt there a way to have the "mouse move" toggled, which would remove the necessity to have you keeping that right button clicked 100% of the time while fighting?

I've not tried them, personally I much prefer how Wildstar handles mouse input by default, but there are a couple of mods specifically for locking the right-mouse-button so the game acts like a standard action combat system.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

I'm sure they've thought of that no?

I believe there is an addon that simulates "aim mode".

• blastermasterblastermaster Member UncommonPosts: 259

Thanks a lot Cheyane! Really appreciate it!

What I meant is an option that would make it so that simply moving your mouse would have the same behavior as moving your mouse while holding your right mouse button (making you turn).  That way you can leave remap A-D key to straff, and have Q-E free for anything else you use frequently (no need to have a keyboard key to turn, you just need to straff while moving your mouse).

But I guess Myria hints that it's not possible without an addon, so that might be your best bet.

Thanks again for the key! =)

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

Just out of curiosity are you using your right finger to push the buttons on the other side of your left finger? 

Personally ive always kept my fingers on the mouse  left finger left button right finger right button,   If i need to press my middle mouse button i use my left finger (since the left is the most unimportant in the set).

I have since gotten a mouse with all the buttons on the side where my thumb sits and it pairs very very well this game.

An addon that your looking for is called Lockdown, it should do what your trying to do.  

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by Myria

I've not tried them, personally I much prefer how Wildstar handles mouse input by default, but there are a couple of mods specifically for locking the right-mouse-button so the game acts like a standard action combat system.

No idea why they didn't default mouselook without holding down the right mouse button.  What's the purpose of always holding down the right mouse button?  It's just clunky.  I'm happy there are mods out there for people that play WS.

I am quite wary of curse do I need curse for that Lockdown mod ?

No I use my thumb and my index for the other buttons. Hmm come to think of it I do not use the middle finger but still I will have difficulty constantly holding it down will try the mod though thanks.

Chamber of Chains
  • SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261
    Originally posted by cheyane

I am quite wary of curse do I need curse for that Lockdown mod ?

No I use my thumb and my index for the other buttons. Hmm come to think of it I do not use the middle finger but still I will have difficulty constantly holding it down will try the mod though thanks.

For some reason this game wouldn't recognize me right clicking for mouselook consistantly so I  had to search for another way as well.  I tried Deadlock, Lockdown and Steer.  They were all kind of meh.  I got one last night called ActionControls that is actually working perfectly for me.

Got it off Curse, no account needed, just DL'd it.

Lockdown is to crosshair the target it does not allow me to mouse turn with my mouse without pressing the right mouse button that is what I need to be able to  turn with the mouse and not have to press down a key . Thanks looking into the  the other mods.
    Chamber of Chains

Sybnal thanks actioncontrol worked like what I want. Lockdown does not allow me to use my mouse to target people to see them when not fighting or interacting with npcs a bit  clunky. Whereas actioncontrol I just press escape and my mouse cursor comes back and I am able to interact with  buff stations and NPCs and see/target other players out of combat.

So healing is strictly F1-F5 right I think have to bind that for the targeted heals.The other one just position the cone. If I have the tank as focus any targeted heals go to him.

edit: rebound F1-F5 to Ctrl 1 to Ctrl 5 and I an use my mouse  keys to target heals. I do not need the left action bar ctrl or I can rebind that to F1 to F5, See if this works in a dungeon am kinda scared I might do poorly. But not having to press the RMB is going to mean no carpel tunnel.

Chamber of Chains
  • andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

In most MMOs I use Q+D /E+A to strafe in circles. I use the mouse for more twitch moves when it is needed. 100% keyboard movement is bad, and puts you at an disadvantage. 

Most people seem to use A and D as strafe and Q and E for spells. Which I understand but they have to use the mouse more often. I find it nice to use it like I said so I can very easily strafe in circles when needed.