Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Beasts of Prey: A Survival Sandbox MMO

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Beasts of Prey is a new, upcoming indie MMO currently preparing to begin its first wave of early access entries on June 5th. To celebrate the imminent influx of players, Octagon Interactive has released a brand new trailer. Check it out!

In Beasts of Prey you start your journey in a single-server gameworld together with all players on a procedual generated map that increase based on the population of the game. In order to survive in the world of Beasts Of Prey you'll have to regain access to modern technology - while you know how to build and craft modern equipment you will have to gather the resources to do so. The games focusses clearly player interaction wherever possible. Hunt, gather, fight, craft & build together with your friends. Create an empire, forge alliances, defend or conquer valueable resource spots. All your actions have an impact on the game-world, your actions matter - you can help a fellow player who is attacked by dinosaurs, or use him for targeting practise, steal his belongings. Features : - Single Server MMOFPS Sandbox. - Dynamic Procedural Terrain increasing based on server population. - First Person Shooter meets Sandbox MMO! - Beautiful & rich world. - Extensive gathering and crafting system. - You build the world! From axes to rifles, from houses to industrials structures like Oilrigs. - Everything built can be conquered or destroyed. Defend outposts and towns or conquer them. - Massive Dinosaurs will hunt the weak! Be on your guard! - Explore the world by vehicles or by foot. - Build headquarters with your friends or clanmates!"

Find out more about Beasts of Prey.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    looks awesome!

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Them survival games sure are popping out of the woodwork all over, not that it's a bad thing.

This looks very messy, but that could make it fun to mess around in.

Being a sucker for dinosaurs since I was like 5, I'm looking for a game that portrays them in a more scary and threatening way though. I wasn't extremely impressed with them in "The Stomping Land" and this doesn't look much better in that regard.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by DMKano

I think its time for a studio to build a "Survival of Survival games" - where your goal is to fight the onslaught of Dev studios making new survival games.

Replace zombies with Dinos or in this instance - devs trying to get $50 for their new survival game.

But you end up just killing other players instead.

Such is reality of survival MMOs.

It's about the easiest type of game to get into an 'alpha' state and start grubbing money for. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by DMKano

Also I love how you walk up to a tree trunk, whack it a few times and wood logs just fly out.

same with rock.

I know its a game but it would be a lot more realistic to find some caves or build shelter out of searching for foliage and sticks instead of whacking on a 100+ year old tree trunk with a hand Axe.

At least make it to where it would take several players to chop down a tree of that size.

Why bother with "realism" in these types of games ? None of them are likely to make much money or last for very long. The harder you have to work at gaining ingame goodies, the more it will hurt when you inevitably lose them. And the greater the potential advantage that could be gained by an organised group.

The potential playerbase for these kinds of "permadeath/FFA-PVP/Slaughterfest" is a small niche, and the amount of games trying to woo them is increasing rapidly. The venerable DayZ-Standalone is still in alpha, but it was sort-of beaten to the punch by WarZ (or whatever it's called now). They've been joined by "Rust". And "The Nether". And "Stomping Grounds". And soon "H1Z1". And now this game as well...

Steam will have to create a "Survival Game" category soon to accommodate all these titles.

• thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Hah, I'm beginning to feel like everyone who's wanting a sandbox game that caters to them to finally be developed.  Where's my cooperative survival game where my friends and I have to face a savage, heartless world solely by wit and toil and teamwork?  I'd love to try these kinds of games if they weren't obsessed with man's inhumanity towards man.
  • Butch808Butch808 Member UncommonPosts: 369
     Games aren't obsessed "man's inhumanity towards man." That's just man. Nothing wrong with games giving people choices both good and bad.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Another one? Enough already.