Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shards Online: Update #7: Battle of the Backers, Forums Open

BMunchausenBMunchausen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff Posts: 400

Citadel Studios attempted something unusual on Kickstarter recently by pitting backers pulled from the Twitch channel against one another in a fight for extra rewards. They've also announced the opening of their official Shards Online forums.

Details about the Battle of the Backers can be found on Citadel Studios' official website.

To find out more about sandbox MMO Shards Online or to contribute to the project (there's still 10 days to go!), visit the game's Kickstarter page.

Comments

• Abydos-CDDAbydos-CDD Member UncommonPosts: 98

Good Project !

Backed 

:D

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576

I had backed it too. It seems to be an amazing project. The fact that they have a playable "demo" of sorts during their kickstarter is a huge plus. Its not a deep demo but gives you an idea that they really can deliver on an actual game. Interacting with the people that comprise this company was a huge plus too. Everyone involved seems to have a passion which is nice. The level of hands on with their potential player base is incredibly impressive too. It reminds me a lot of the Camelot Unchained interaction. I hope this funds because while this will be a niche game, it is definitely a niche that needs proper modern attention give to it. I can't speak highly enough about what I have seen and experienced so far. Between this and Camelot Unchained I'm starting to feel excitement about MMO's return. An excitement I haven't had for almost a decade of stagnation. It's just taking a little old school to work its way back into a new release. They might not be hugely popular, but I'd be happy with a smaller, steady, and old school player base.

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514

I participated in the Battle of Backers 2 and was very impressed.  The UI is nice and clean and movement was fast paced.  

The varying Mods supreem put in place (bunny stomping, sudden death, hunger etc) really displayed the potential Shards has.  

One thing I didn't realize, till I participated, was how unique the combat felt.  The combat UI is pretty cool with action skills on the left (some that trigger during combat) a central diamond that houses 3 different stances that you can rotate using TAB and Spells on the right of the combat bar.  

It was the most fun I've had gaming in a while.  

Backed and I give it the Gunga Din stamp of approval.  Stay tuned this week for some major updates.  Remember, Shards has a working Alpha already !  

Lets keep backing this game during its KS !

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629

Hate to say this but it aint happening with only $51,000 out of the asked $320,000 requirement. It would also seem that someone pulled out a huge donation since it was at $90,000 and it dropped hard. Either way they are only trending towards a mere $100,000 - Hope they find a magical pony to ride in the short 10-days they have left on the campaign.

Golden Kickstarter Days Have Ended - http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1468280928/shards-online

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514
    Originally posted by Chii-Nii

Hate to say this but it aint happening with only $51,000 out of the asked $320,000 requirement. It would also seem that someone pulled out a huge donation since it was at $90,000 and it dropped hard. Either way they are only trending towards a mere $100,000 - Hope they find a magical pony to ride in the short 10-days they have left on the campaign.

Golden Kickstarter Days Have Ended - http://www.kicktraq.com/projects/1468280928/shards-online

Kicktraq ? lol lol

• Melaedha_CSMelaedha_CS Member Posts: 11

It would also seem that someone pulled out a huge donation since it was at $90,000 and it dropped hard.  

This made me so excited and worried at the same time! I checked the Kickstarter dash thoroughly but we neither hit 90k today nor lost 40k in pledges. It's really great to see that the people supporting us truly are behind us all the way. 

Glad you guys enjoyed the event and playing our pre-alpha version. We've got some more coming this week :)

• DustyMonkeyMacdDustyMonkeyMacd Member Posts: 4
    I have really enjoyed and I am still enjoying the great communication from the Dev team. It is awesome to see a team who just hang out with the potential players and chat about random things
  • MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

They gotta sell this more expansively ie the platform's tool of tricks:

Building stuff

single-player RPG making adventures for friends and GM'ing etc.

And of course MMO stuff and pvp.

=

Doubt it will make the total, but a good project nonetheless.

• TybostTybost Member UncommonPosts: 629
    Originally posted by GungaDin

Kicktraq ? lol lol

What's so funny? I must of missed something?

Kicktraq is a great place to find out Kickstarter related news and is one of the better sites around that offer a decent way to figuring out how projects are doing.

• Shows us how much was donated on each day
    • Comments per day
    • How many backers supported the project on each day
    • Including which day the project started - (Dates: May 13th -> Jun 12th (30 days)
    • Backers: 888
      Average Daily Pledges: $2,442
      Average Pledge Per Backer: $58

Funding: $51,289 of $320,000
      Dates: May 13th -> Jun 12th (30 days)
      Project By: Citadel Studios
    No other site offers this much detail into kickstarter projects and if you have a better way to track projects than please do share it! ;)

Regarding the mystical 40k that was pulled - It's no longer showing on the radar anymore anywhere.  How weird. Still looks like a great game hope they manage to push the pony express and pass the goal in coming days.
  • aberryaberry Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I have backed this, the game looks awesome, if you loved UO you will love this.