Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: The End of an Era: EA Shutters Mythic

Comments

• fewchurprofewchurpro Member UncommonPosts: 3

Mythic, may or may not be the best company ever for mmorpgs but I myself really enjoyed DAoC for many years until EA bought them and trashed the game immediately. NO other game had the great story lines that followed actual mythology and came up with the 3 realm pvp system known as RvR in that game that made everything much more of a fun challenge. The fact each realm started out with similar classes but with different spells and styles etc, wllas ingenious. But then big bad EA came in with their dumb stick and dumbed down the game, fired half the staff, shut down nearly everything that made the game great and just overall screwed everything up just like they do in most every game they make other than maybe some sports games.

My opinion is EA is full of unimaginative money hungry idiots. Just goes to show you that just because you have a lot of money and can just buy everyone out to eliminate competition, doesnt mean your really worth anything. Would be a great day to see EA just go bankrupt, would serve them right. Wonder if they believe in Karma?

• MinuvasMinuvas Member Posts: 9
    RIP Mythic. I always enjoyed your very first FPS on my dial up computer....Rolemaster: Magestorm.
  • Zontas_HierospiritZontas_Hierospirit Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Originally posted by fewchurpro

Mythic, may or may not be the best company ever for mmorpgs but I myself really enjoyed DAoC for many years until EA bought them and trashed the game immediately. NO other game had the great story lines that followed actual mythology and came up with the 3 realm pvp system known as RvR in that game that made everything much more of a fun challenge. The fact each realm started out with similar classes but with different spells and styles etc, wllas ingenious. But then big bad EA came in with their dumb stick and dumbed down the game, fired half the staff, shut down nearly everything that made the game great and just overall screwed everything up just like they do in most every game they make other than maybe some sports games.

My opinion is EA is full of unimaginative money hungry idiots. Just goes to show you that just because you have a lot of money and can just buy everyone out to eliminate competition, doesnt mean your really worth anything. Would be a great day to see EA just go bankrupt, would serve them right. Wonder if they believe in Karma?

That is a pretty devastating fireball you just casted at EA, fewchurpro, and is not that far from the feelings other posters have contributed as well. But please allow me for the sake of all of us, to explain why the blame flames must not only go to EA alone. We're all really to blame. The Team of Mythic and the Leadership therein, EA, and even the players themselves. Who picked up and left after WoW came out? Who decided to give operations of the game to someone else? Who decided to do so, and has been doing so? etc... There is good and bad all around, and we should try to pick up the good, and strengthen what remains...

The people that have NOT turned their backs on the game, who are small in number, are bound to have done something too. Point being, I would sooner see everyone cast down in affliction than see one take all the blame, so healing can start sooner, than later when it might be too late. God bless.

• BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    Originally posted by TheHavok

You reap what you sow.

Warhammer Online is my all time most disappointing MMO. I have mixed feelings about them shutting down. I hope at the very least their employees are able to find work elsewhere.

With that being said, EA continues to be the angel of death for game studios. Any self-respecting studio should look at EA's history and avoid signing with them at all cost.

Pretty much this.  There are several major vampiric 'Houses of Ill Repute' out there that gobble up struggling studios that have or had once-promising titles under their belt, and like homeless prostitutes in dire need of their next hit, these companies sign up with these craptastic publishers despite their shitty reputations.

I'd like to say I'm sorry to see Mythic go, but a lot of people here are correct; it's been a long while since Mythic produced anything of real merit.  I do wish the employees well that are now out of a job, and I hope the talented ones bring their skills back to the table soon.

• rogielrogiel Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Thanks EA for further destroying all that is good in the gaming industry

"If I had the stars of the darkest nights or the diamonds from the deepest ocean, I would forsake them all for your sweet kiss"

• TraceOfDustMitesTraceOfDustMites Member Posts: 28
    Mythic is like M. Night Shaymalan or however you spell it. Great first product, but nothing ever since. Everyone wants to praise Jacobs for DAOC, and rightly so, great game.
    After that though, nothing. From the horrible game killing expansion TOA to Warhammer Online it
    was failure after failure. War could have been great, but it was released to early and they had way to many servers.
    Quit blaming EA for Mythics failures.
  • neosparkkneosparkk Member UncommonPosts: 59
    End of an era? EA stopped caring about this crap company ages ago, they're just now completely pulling the plug.
  • shawn19606shawn19606 Member UncommonPosts: 29
    I wasn't a big fan of Mythic anymore but I did love their style of PVP for awhile. Storming keeps, making rally calls, dumping oil on people's head ect.  But you can't survive on what you did in the past, it has to be maintained for a company to continue.
  • ZeymereZeymere Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Originally posted by Minuvas
    RIP Mythic. I always enjoyed your very first FPS on my dial up computer....Rolemaster: Magestorm.

I actually played this... and i think you still can ;)

Z.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I can understand the hate for EA. But to be fair Westwood sold out to EA. The employees knew nothing about the backroom dealing going on. Some of these company owners take the money and run leaving their employees hanging out in the wind. Its not all EA doing in this cut throat bussiness world. No one is forcing these guys to sellout to EA.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

And there goes the best MMO development company ever made. In all fairness, this company was dead as soon as EA bought them.

If EA owns it, it's going to lose money, be an abomination, or be closed down. BioWare is next on the list I think.

I think that the problem is partly Mythics own fault as well. They started on WAR already before EA and the idea to mix Warhammers world with Wows PvE focused mechanics and then focus the game on PvP was what really killed them.

They should either have made DaoC 2 or made a Warhammer game closer to the mechanics of the Warhammer fantasy RPG  instead so the GW fans would have liked it, they really should be the main focus group for a warhammer game.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Hariken
    I can understand the hate for EA. But to be fair Westwood sold out to EA. The employees knew nothing about the backroom dealing going on. Some of these company owners take the money and run leaving their employees hanging out in the wind. Its not all EA doing in this cut throat bussiness world. No one is forcing these guys to sellout to EA.

Most game companies are owned by so called "investors" and they only care about making money, and preferably as fast as possibly. For them to act in any other way would be like expecting a hungry shark to not eat a baby seal, not in their nature.

• MoanalisaMoanalisa Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Seriously people? Most of these are such immature comments.  If this company was so great, people would be storming the gates to play their games and money would not be an issue.   The gamers voted with their dollars.   Blame the gamers, not EA.   Gamers want free to play or the game has to be stand-out to warrant a subscription.  So ESO so far can demand a subscription and that is one way to maintain the quality of the experience if they can keep the gamers engaged.   We will see  how that economic model works out over time with GW2, RIFT, and other great games F2P.   Great content takes quite a bit of money to create.   If they cannot earn enough revenue and profit to keep it going, then it makes no sense to continue.  They probably kept this company around longer than it deserved.   So do not be blaming capitalism and EA for the behavior of gamers.  The fact is that Capitalism is largely why you have these great games being produced at all.   Great artists and creative talent like to be rewarded for what they do.  
    GW2 was never subscriber based. F2p is a business model, not failure. You can bet Rift makes more in transactions than monthly. They have a great store and I see players with the new souls, and a ton of mounts and pets they sell. I still see a lot of people playing, as I play daily.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Ket_Viliano
    Originally posted by Channce
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Well look at that. Yet another formerly high-quality development company killed off by the overly greedy fucks at EA. Just add 'em to the list with Origin, Bullfrog, Westwood Studios, Pandemic, Criterion, and all the other promising studios they've obliterated.

If Dragon Age 3 doesn't meet sales expectations, Bioware will be next. No sense keeping the name around if it can't draw in the sales like it used to.

whats the whole "greedy" argument? a business exists to make money, not insure people have jobs.  If you don't like the product or have something personal against the company, don't spend your dollars on it, pretty straight forward.

No.

According to Proctor and Gamble, circa the 40's:

The first duty of a corporation is to its customers,

Second to society,

Third to employees,

Fourth to management,

and last to shareholders.

The idea that corporations are nothing but greed fest evil gangs, comes to us from Milton Friedman, and he was wrong.

Because: Greed is Evil.

un "great".

Even though the reality is far from that little blurb. Heck, companies/individuals who run companies did many more "evil" things prior to the 40's and after.

How do you think Ford became so successful? Heck, didn't Edison Electrocute and elephant and then use the footage to show how horrible "AC Current" was? (even though the elephant was scheduled to be killed).

It would be great if companies were a bit more mindful of ethics but other than that, they do exist to make money, they keep people employed, and some actually do give back to society though in truth I think they just use it as a tax write off.

I wonder how many people who advocate the whole "companies are evil" mantra work for companies that actually do things that aren't so great?

Companies that are really horrible eventually get their comeuppance in one form or another (looking at you Enron. Oh wait, I can't.)

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Hariken

Most game companies are owned by so called "investors" and they only care about making money, and preferably as fast as possibly. For them to act in any other way would be like expecting a hungry shark to not eat a baby seal, not in their nature.

Are you saying you are constantly monitoring your retirement investments to make sure that the companies in your portfolio aren't making you too much money because of dubious practices? Or Practices you wouldn't like?  And that's great if you do!

But, if you are losing money or not making as much money as you think you should, do you still keep your money in those investments? Even if the companies are "good companies".

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

I never feel bad for developers who are dropped this way. Its the way of the gaming industry. If you work in the industry you should either expect to move to another company or be let go in the parking lot of some building. If you wait to be let go in the parking lot, your non-compete agreement either becomes null or you get severance pay until your non-compete agreement expires. In any case they should have been looking for new jobs the second EA took over as that's all that awaits companies bought by EA. If anything at least they got a chance to succeed in the game industry.

Owners are also wise to sell to EA. They get money to startup a new company, and EA will usually be stuck with a defunct developer that lost all its main talent.

BTW, I am a capitalist. Still think EA is an evil company. I don't know how they are even still in business seeing how unscrupulous they are and how many people boycott EA.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

Can't blame EA for shutting them down. They weren't worth a whole lot after DAoC, anyway. They had a chance with WAR, but they were messing up so bad, and they went to EA for more money, and EA even allowed them an extension or two on WAR's development, and it still wound up to be garbage. Then they weren't worth a whole lot more than some extra developers. They weren't worth keeping around.

According to this article, EA is even helping them towards finding new jobs. You can hate on EA all you want, but they aren't "bad guys" in this situation.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Sad to hear, though I can't say that I'm surprised. This is something that is all too common in the gaming industry, and you can bet there are now going to be a number of families without homes, or jobs, etc. I wish them all the best, and hope they can find a place they can more permanently call home.

EA has a history of absorbing more talented studios, bleeding what prestige they have left, and then tossing them aside. It's disgusting, and I'm hoping those days are coming to an end. The industry needs more fresh studios, not conglomerates that are stuck on a business strategy of cannibalizing whatever is left.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Cleffy

I never feel bad for developers who are dropped this way. Its the way of the gaming industry. If you work in the industry you should either expect to move to another company or be let go in the parking lot of some building. If you wait to be let go in the parking lot, your non-compete agreement either becomes null or you get severance pay until your non-compete agreement expires. In any case they should have been looking for new jobs the second EA took over as that's all that awaits companies bought by EA. If anything at least they got a chance to succeed in the game industry.

Owners are also wise to sell to EA. They get money to startup a new company, and EA will usually be stuck with a defunct developer that lost all its main talent.

BTW, I am a capitalist. Still think EA is an evil company. I don't know how they are even still in business seeing how unscrupulous they are and how many people boycott EA.

It's because that, while everyone hates the company, everyone still buys their games.

EA has us down to a formula, one that sadly enough works. It's not just the maddens or CoDs keeping them afloat either. They've made quite a foothold for themselves taking other people's ideas and re-coating them with new / more accessible paint jobs.

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044
    Originally posted by Ket_Viliano
    Originally posted by Channce
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

Well look at that. Yet another formerly high-quality development company killed off by the overly greedy fucks at EA. Just add 'em to the list with Origin, Bullfrog, Westwood Studios, Pandemic, Criterion, and all the other promising studios they've obliterated.

If Dragon Age 3 doesn't meet sales expectations, Bioware will be next. No sense keeping the name around if it can't draw in the sales like it used to.

whats the whole "greedy" argument? a business exists to make money, not insure people have jobs.  If you don't like the product or have something personal against the company, don't spend your dollars on it, pretty straight forward.

No.

According to Proctor and Gamble, circa the 40's:

The first duty of a corporation is to its Share-holders,

Second to society,

Third to employees,

Fourth to management,

and last to shareholders.

The idea that corporations are nothing but greed fest evil gangs, comes to us from Milton Friedman, and he was wrong.

Because: Greed is Evil.

Fixed that for ya :)

• wgc01wgc01 Member UncommonPosts: 241

Bioware whats left of you anyway your next, pack your bags the show is over  :(

What is really funny EA one of the most hated companies on the face of the earth, still has some of the biggest sellers on the market, maybe the hate train on EA is just a vocal minority, I am no fan either, just sayin, if the company is so hated how does it keep such high sales of it products.. /shrug

EA is hates on these forums for silly reasons, they are NOT one of the most hated companies, please..
  • OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by Omnifish

Mythic were stuffed the minute they took on too much with Warhammer Online and had to be bailed out by EA. A company that fucks up that badly is always going to end up this way.

Not a popular view but that's what happened... 

It's not a popular view because it's a lie. I think that it's pretty obvious that it was not the reason EA bought Mythic.

Counter it then?

I'm sure you can't, I even doubt you were around to see how the development process went. Six months before launch they had to scrap 4 of the starting cities because they took on too much work and we massively behind. That was just one of many problems.

WAR turned out to be a highly influential game, it was still a mess though.

I don't, 'lie', I was there from the earliest betas. Noone wanted that game to succeed more then me. Only nostalgic apoligists for old school Mythic would argue otherwise.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

wait...did I just read that they closed the office so that they can work on more mobile?

what the actual fuck is the technology industry doing! I dont want mobile, I want a super computer with walls as monitors..goddamnit 

its 101 degrees outside with 80% humidity, where the fuck am I going to 'mobile' to?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me