Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fun or a Pain in the Ass

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
What do you guys think of constantly having to move out of telegraphs in PvE, even just landscape play?  In beta, I found it fun at first, but as the telegraphs became more complex, I started to find it annoying.  No chance to relax, which is what I want most from an MMO.

Comments

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Well personally, this is one of the things I like about Wildstar. The fact that it's engaging all the time , when you are fighting.

I .. love fast combat, with fast reactions, etc, but that's just me .

Also, it might help a bit if you will keep your interrupt skills and use them when mob cast a skill and also , try to pull more then 1 mob into a fight. THAT is fun :D

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Originally posted by IceAge

Well personally, this is one of the things I like about Wildstar. The fact that it's engaging all the time , when you are fighting.

I .. love fast combat, with fast reactions, etc, but that's just me .

Also, it might help a bit if you will keep your interrupt skills and use them when mob cast a skill and also , try pull more then 1 mob into a fight. THAT is fun :D

I hear you.  I like fast combat in console games, but for some reason, it just doesn't seem like a good mix for me in MMO's.  I like to chill while playing that kind of game.  That seems harder and harder to find in new MMO's.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

If you want to chill there's a lot of MMO's and activities in said MMO's that are for you.  However, wildstar puts emphasis on not chilling so I don't think this game would be for you OP.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by Chrisbox

If you want to chill there's a lot of MMO's and activities in said MMO's that are for you.  However, wildstar puts emphasis on not chilling so I don't think this game would be for you OP.  

Well, speaking of other activities, at some point, if the OP feels some .. "pain in the ass :)" from fights , he can relax by .. doing crafting, housing , etc , if he's up into this kind of activities. 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by MightyUnclean
    What do you guys think of constantly having to move out of telegraphs in PvE, even just landscape play?  In beta, I found it fun at first, but as the telegraphs became more complex, I started to find it annoying.  No chance to relax, which is what I want most from an MMO.

So far I say pain in the ass, but the class itself (warrior) is fun.

Having fun overall, dont plan to play more than a month or two but maybe the combat grows on me.

Well, speaking of other activities, at some point, if the OP feels some .. "pain in the ass :)" from fights , he can relax by .. doing crafting, housing , etc , if he's up into this kind of activities. 

This is true, but we both know spending all your time in your house area or at a crafting station is not a viable way to play this game and have fun.  I was given the impression that the OP does not want to deal with the active combat system, not that he was tired at the moment and wanted something else in the game to do.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

This is true, but we both know spending all your time in your house area or at a crafting station is not a viable way to play this game and have fun.  I was given the impression that the OP does not want to deal with the active combat system, not that he was tired at the moment and wanted something else in the game to do.  

Normally I wouldnt suggest games cater to a broader audience than originally designed, but Wildstar is quite easily the best themepark since WoW/EQ2 and if they could add some content in for max level where constant movement isnt needed (which can be done and still be challenging) then it could draw a big audience.  Keep the main focus the way it is now though, but just cater a little to the people that dont want the full intense experience.

• RedCurryRedCurry Member UncommonPosts: 70

Are you playing with a normal kb and mouse? I only ask b/c I don't think I would enjoy this game with that set up, fingers would be all over the place on the kb and cramped! 

I have (and would highly recommend) an mmo mouse. I have one that has a number pad on the side of the mouse, this allows me to 'wasd' move with my other hand on the kb. really great set-up for this style of game.

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

This isnt a put on netflix and autopilot type of game,   i cant imagine joining a raid or group and doing much more than paying attention to the game.

This will probably hurt wildstar as a lot of modern mmos are a click click keypress snooze fest, which a lot of newer people to the genre have become accustomed to that style of gameplay. 

Im pleased the game actually requires some interaction and paying attention.

Originally posted by syriinx

Normally I wouldnt suggest games cater to a broader audience than originally designed, but Wildstar is quite easily the best themepark since WoW/EQ2 and if they could add some content in for max level where constant movement isnt needed (which can be done and still be challenging) then it could draw a big audience.  Keep the main focus the way it is now though, but just cater a little to the people that dont want the full intense experience.

That's essentially exactly what WoW did after BC, and look how the popularity exploded. Carbines whole mission statement however is lets be the new vanilla WoW so if they stick to that then they will never see the popularity WoW has by providing content for Hardcores and casuals alike.  

Btw I'm so ready to hear from someone on how much harder vanilla WoW was than modern day and how much the boss mechanics were more complex than today's heroics....

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

Originally posted by zevian

This isnt a put on netflix and autopilot type of game,   i cant imagine joining a raid or group and doing much more than paying attention to the game.

This will probably hurt wildstar as a lot of modern mmos are a click click keypress snooze fest, which a lot of newer people to the genre have become accustomed to that style of gameplay. 

Im pleased the game actually requires some interaction and paying attention.

WoW had pretty good balance with BC.  Plenty of content for everyone.

• CleverjackCleverjack Member UncommonPosts: 72
    I use a nostromo, I can move and fight with that one piece of equipment. So my other hand is free for my beer.

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    For myself i would say fun, most games i find myself trying to avoid pulling mobs only killing what i need to for the quests. Where as in Wildstar i find myself pulling every and any mob i can. Think it's the fact that pulling a pack of mobs is an actual challenge, as a medic when 2 -3 mob lay into me hp drops fast, so i have to slow, stun and kite them if i wan't to survive, where as with most games today you can take on 3+ mobs and not break a sweat. 
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

Also, it might help a bit if you will keep your interrupt skills and use them when mob cast a skill and also , try to pull more then 1 mob into a fight. THAT is fun :D

Interrupting is extremely important in Wildstar, in most cases much more so than damage output. Almost all classes have more than one means to interrupt which are on separate cd's and for a good reason. Not letting a mob or boss finish a cast can turn a hard fight into a walk in the park. 

Originally posted by RedCurry

Are you playing with a normal kb and mouse? I only ask b/c I don't think I would enjoy this game with that set up, fingers would be all over the place on the kb and cramped! 

I have (and would highly recommend) an mmo mouse. I have one that has a number pad on the side of the mouse, this allows me to 'wasd' move with my other hand on the kb. really great set-up for this style of game.

Which mouse has a num pad or directional keys on the side??

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910

With a programmable mouse you can program the num pad or the WASD to the side . But the easier thing to do is use WASD on your left hand and use the 1-0  mapped to the mouse with your right hand. It can hold more keys but that is up to you

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Gaming-Mouse-G700/dp/B003VAM32E/ref=sr_1_2?s=electr

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-G600-Gaming-Mouse-Black/dp/B0086UK7IQ

Thanks,  the 700 looks pretty simple.  I wonder why they don't make a mouse with a four-direction button for the thumb?  I saw another mouse, a Nostromo maybe, that had one, but it looked like something from the cockpit of a fighter plane and the button was on the right.
    In Wildstar, could you get by in combat with the four buttons mapped to dodge in four directions?  Or would you still need WASD to fine-tune movement to get out of telegraphs?  I only played beta to the point where the telegraphs were pretty simple.

A great combo is using a gaming mouse + a gaming keypad.

I use a Naga mouse and nostromo keypad.  Very comfortable to me.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

I find it an annoyance to have to constantly play around with telegraphs to overlook the lack of skill based combat mechanics. But the entire game is built around it so it would take a massive overhaul to change that and maybe its not even worth bothering to change it. Thats how it is designed.

If you can get past that telegraph annoyance, the one weapon per class poor design, and the generic questing, then the rest of the game is pretty fun. I havent done pvp or dungeons but i hope its fun. I dont want my free month to be wasted.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I only played beta to the point where the telegraphs were pretty simple.

Didn't you say in your OP that they got more complex later and that's when you didn't like them? I'm confused now...

• xXStarstruckXxxXStarstruckXx Member Posts: 23

well the game is a bit annoying with the cartoon etc but I love the idea with the battlegrounds the 40v40 etc realm v realm.

very nice indeed tbh you haft to accept sometimes there is suck bad stuffs in a game but if you are there for the pvp you have come to the right place<3

I think there is no game in the world that got everything(except WoW, but that game is ancient history now)

some games like gw2 got areanent a ffs fail company that never listen to the public and tries to make PvE players able to survive against guilds in WvW

this game might have some weaknesses but it got a great company and even greater Pvp/RvR so its cool<3

Originally posted by Dreamo84
    I only played beta to the point where the telegraphs were pretty simple.

Didn't you say in your OP that they got more complex later and that's when you didn't like them? I'm confused now...

They started being cog and fan shaped, etc., but I never got into a dungeon or anything to see really complex stuff.

Question that might help me with Wildstar:  Could you get by in combat with the four mouse buttons mapped to dodge in four directions?  Or would you still need WASD to fine-tune movement to get out of telegraphs?
  • fledurfledur Member CommonPosts: 77
    Question that might help me with Wildstar:  Could you get by in combat with the four mouse buttons mapped to dodge in four directions?  Or would you still need WASD to fine-tune movement to get out of telegraphs?

No.

Dash is either double tap or 1 mapped key to dash to the direction you are running. If you are standing still you can configure the key to dash backward or forward.