Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this even a Mmo.

hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
I can't really find if it is. The only thing I found was on the forums where some one said it can be played off line, and multiplayer is peer to peer. Is this game like hosted from people, who have servers. It's not one server where ever one plays on it? So I got alittle more but I still don't understand it. According to what I do understand, there is no server. They are gonna jack your internet connection, and it will be groups of people. You won't meet random people, only the ones in your group. Then there is this  supplemental purchase of Credits with real money.

Comments

• I wouldn't call it an MMO, but more of a hybrid. Bear in mind the developers are always careful to call it "open world multiplayer" rathee than "MMO."

The way it works is the server is regularly informed of your position in the game world. Now imagine a big bubble in 3d space around that position. If the server sees that your bubble begins to intersect with another player's bubble, it matches you together and a peer to peer session between you is seamlessly created. Currently up to 32 players can be joined in a single session, but may change during development. If more than the maximum amount of players are in the same area, there will be multiple sessions existing side by side, similar to how phasing works in MMOs.

Background simulation and the economy is handled by the server, but is influenced by player actions. If players sell a lot of cobalt in a system, cobalt prices in that system will fall and so on.

In effect, to the players it works like an MMO (similar to when the server knows two players are in visual range of each other, it informa both clients so they know they should render the other player on the screen) with instanced but seamless areas, but behind the scenes it's a peer to peer. The reason for this is probably to ensure responsive twitch controls and to avoid the need for server farms.

You can also play the game single player if you choose so. In that case, the game just doesn't match you with other "nearby" players.

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Originally posted by Axxar

I wouldn't call it an MMO, but more of a hybrid. Bear in mind the developers are always careful to call it "open world multiplayer" rathee than "MMO."

The way it works is the server is regularly informed of your position in the game world. Now imagine a big bubble in 3d space around that position. If the server sees that your bubble begins to intersect with another player's bubble, it matches you together and a peer to peer session between you is seamlessly created. Currently up to 32 players can be joined in a single session, but may change during development. If more than the maximum amount of players are in the same area, there will be multiple sessions existing side by side, similar to how phasing works in MMOs.

Background simulation and the economy is handled by the server, but is influenced by player actions. If players sell a lot of cobalt in a system, cobalt prices in that system will fall and so on.

In effect, to the players it works like an MMO (similar to when the server knows two players are in visual range of each other, it informa both clients so they know they should render the other player on the screen) with instanced but seamless areas, but behind the scenes it's a peer to peer. The reason for this is probably to ensure responsive twitch controls and to avoid the need for server farms.

You can also play the game single player if you choose so. In that case, the game just doesn't match you with other "nearby" players.

Thank you very much for clearing that up. That doesn't sound to bad. Will I still be able to play with a crappy DSL connection at 1.7mbps down or 170kbs and 440kbps up, or 44kbps. I can't host anything, so I don't think I could up load my position to 32 people at once. 

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,071

The reason for this is probably to ensure responsive twitch controls and to avoid the need for server farms.

It's probably the second more than the former.  Why incur overhead related to cloud-based services when you can offload the cost onto your customers?  Just sayin'...

...backs away from thread slowly image

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Originally posted by Phaserlight

The reason for this is probably to ensure responsive twitch controls and to avoid the need for server farms.

It's probably the second more than the former.  Why incur overhead related to cloud-based services when you can offload the cost onto your customers?  Just sayin'...

...backs away from thread slowly image

I just hope my frontier adsl can handle it. I don't think there is anything wrong with it, or them cutting costs like that. As long as their server is the main host. Or the upload is so small it doesn't matter. I tried to host a bf1942 game, and it worked between me and my friend, but when some one else came in that was it, lag. Or it shifts the burden of host to the person with the best connection. I really have no idea how all that works, other then I can play days epoch with 50 people, if my server is the host, but I couldent even host 3 people. But ethier way I'll play if my damned able frontier internet won't let me play with more then a few, I will just go to one of the other billon spots, where no one is.

• IIRC the game tries to be smart about which player is the host.

IIRC the game tries to be smart about which player is the host.

Thanks muchly, that cheers me up.  I hope there are a lot of people with good internet connections, wanting to play this. Cause sadly I will never have good internet.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    So it's a pretty broad stretch to call it a MMO, but the term is pretty much meaningless these days.

Guess it all depends on how well their new tech works out.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran
    So it's a pretty broad stretch to call it a MMO, but the term is pretty much meaningless these days.

Guess it all depends on how well their new tech works out.

I dono sounds Mmo to me. Minus they aren't hosting every one. That's prolly a good thing, since the server bill could be In it self 1000s a month. I know I paid 120 a month for a 100mbps up and down, i7 4th, 8gbs of ram, and 2 ssds. So the only experience I have with larger is swg emu, which they say server costs are like 2000 a month. 

If what some people said on the Ed vs sc fourm is true people can host their own server. So I guess if they release the server client I am sure some one will change it to 1000 players can play at once.  I am not sure which I would play on. I mean if it's as seemless as they are saying it is, it doesn't sound any different then say Everquest where you go zone to zone. Although 32 is smaller than 100. 32 people and Npcs sounds like a big enough battle for me, as long as all 32 of us don't have adsl it should be fine.

Originally posted by hatefulpeace

IIRC the game tries to be smart about which player is the host.

Thanks muchly, that cheers me up.  I hope there are a lot of people with good internet connections, wanting to play this. Cause sadly I will never have good internet.

I take it back, if I fall really in love with this game, and the hosting is a problem, and there are enough people. I will have to hook 5   Of frontiers crappy DSL lines together.

• mayito7777mayito7777 Member UncommonPosts: 768
    I dont understand why all these games have to be all PVP, why cant they create a game that is PVE for once? EVE Star citizen and Elite all in the same boat PVP gankers abussing newer players this is a trend that never ends, do a freaking PVE game and create the option for those who want to PVP to raise their flags and PVP to all their content but players who like to explore, mine, trade etc and hate PVP need to have a room in this industry

want 7 free days of playing? Try this

http://www.swtor.com/r/ZptVnY

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by mayito7777
    I dont understand why all these games have to be all PVP, why cant they create a game that is PVE for once? EVE Star citizen and Elite all in the same boat PVP gankers abussing newer players this is a trend that never ends, do a freaking PVE game and create the option for those who want to PVP to raise their flags and PVP to all their content but players who like to explore, mine, trade etc and hate PVP need to have a room in this industry

"explore, mine, trade" holds no meaning if there is no decay in the universe requiering the replacement of stuff. You could make that mechanic of course, but people always finds ways to control any decay mechanic and PvE looses. The only way to make sure that these things stays meaningfull is through true loses for the players, and PvP provide that in a game

Originally posted by hfztt

"explore, mine, trade" holds no meaning if there is no decay in the universe requiering the replacement of stuff. You could make that mechanic of course, but people always finds ways to control any decay mechanic and PvE looses. The only way to make sure that these things stays meaningfull is through true loses for the players, and PvP provide that in a game

The problem is that PVP become ganking the newbie, I have played EVE and quit because of that, huge ships sit an way fort a lowly freighter to go by and one shot them, that is no gaming.

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502

Don't forget that at release there will be various modes of play, so if PvP is not your thing there are still options available to you.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

Though it is not an MMORPG in the traditional sense, it can be considered a persistent Universe in that things will occur within the Universe in real time with the online game and it will change the Universe that you play in.   Right now the game is mostly about spaceships.   Eventually it will have everything most MMO's have.   For instance, right now you can trade, explore, hunt pirates, be a pirate, etc, etc...  We're told this will just be the tip of the iceberg.   More ships will be added.   More careers that you'll be able to pursue.  

Unlike EVE and most other space based MMO's(accept Star Citizen), eventually you'll be able to walk around with a character, land on planets(right now you can only land on stations), asteroids, do EVA'S, board other ships(like derelict vessels or ones you attacked) and scavenge from them.  

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389

The problem is that PVP become ganking the newbie, I have played EVE and quit because of that, huge ships sit an way fort a lowly freighter to go by and one shot them, that is no gaming.

The thing is Eve kind of encourages pvp gankings, scams and whatnot while I think in ED  and SC there will be some serious penalties to it. Right now there quite a few thing missing from the game so keep that in mind.

ED also has a system where you can make it so  it will try to put you in an island with people on your friend list etc. Dunno guess it could go the Eve route but I think both games have made big efforts so it does not become EvE in cockpits.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• sahibsahib Member UncommonPosts: 19

Speak for yourself. Exploring, mining and trading hold enough meaning for me (and I would guess many others) without the need for any decay-related annoyance. Especially one related to PvP.

Originally posted by sahib

Speak for yourself. Exploring, mining and trading hold enough meaning for me (and I would guess many others) without the need for any decay-related annoyance. Especially one related to PvP.

That is precise what I am looking for, but maybe does not exist, I want a game where I can explore like forever and be able to trade, do missions, mine and feel the sense of awe similar to when i played EVE for first time, before the gankers spoiled the awe.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Yes, it's an MMO (if this is the option you select). However, the Elite universe is so large that even if every person on Earth played Elite: Dangerous, you would only see 1 person occasionally. 

Encountering a real human player will be a rare event. Encountering another player who has an 'Elite status' will be such a rare event that it probably won't happen for you.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Yes, it's an MMO (if this is the option you select). However, the Elite universe is so large that even if every person on Earth played Elite: Dangerous, you would only see 1 person occasionally. 

Encountering a real human player will be a rare event. Encountering another player who has an 'Elite status' will be such a rare event that it probably won't happen for you.

^Has a nasty tendency of exaggerating. The game will be something in between SP/MP and MMO, not quite either though and the only thing it can truly select to be is SP while MP/MMO state is at best something close to GW1 with a metric butt ton of sandbox elements thrown in for good measure.

Also the person above me neglects to say that said rare encounters would be in deep space, in factional/known space encounters will be far more frequent if you choose to have the option to meet other players but even so most of the elements which make up a true MMO won't be there (the social elements by what I can gather won't be there upon release or will be minimal).

Not saying it won't be a good game, I'd say objectively better than SC, just saying do not let yourself get misled by people who are riding a hype train.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

You are describing a single player game though...

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

same as SC but better space sim,it is SP+MP game not MMO

but ,today peoples calling every game MMO what requesting internet connection,it is sad, but in that case you can call ED mmo game

You are describing a single player game though...

Game has a singleplayer (player not even in the server based Universe but in his own private one) mode... PVP by what I know will be a money sink and items and stuff like that will be made by players sometime in the future (at least the components for weapons, ships etc) post launch. So while items won't decay by what I know you will still have damage and things will still need to get repaired... now if they went with an EVE system in the full online mode..yum <3.

• If you stay in the core systems I think you will meet players quite commonly. Not so much if you want to explore outside these regions. It's big.

If you stay in the core systems I think you will meet players quite commonly. Not so much if you want to explore outside these regions. It's big.

100+ billion and the core systems are maybe a few thousand, maybe.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

If you stay in the core systems I think you will meet players quite commonly. Not so much if you want to explore outside these regions. It's big.

Yes, I sort of agree with this, but I don't think there will be any core systems...

There are planned to be roughly 1 billion star systems. Bear in mind that there are only 7 billion humans on planet Earth!

I imagine that certain star systems will be far more popular than others, such as:

• Star systems towards the centre of the Milky Way, so people can say that they have been as close as possible to a super-massive black hole. (sightseeing)
    • The Sol system to visit Earth etc. (sightseeing)
    • Seeded stuff of unusual interest. (sightseeing, missions(?), other)