Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Time for a re-review, MMORPG.com staff?

TheAmazingDwarfTheAmazingDwarf Member UncommonPosts: 234

Don't you think this game should be re-reviewed? 5.8 points from the official review doesn't make justice to the actual state of the game.

Gamerevolution just published this re-review, by the way:

http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/marvel-heroes

My FFXIV ARR referral code for new EU accounts: 5JPF7ZQ3
Step into the amazing world of Eorzea! Use this reference code on a new account and we'll both get goodies for it!

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Pretty decent review.

Personally i think the game is good but without the polished of D3 ... still decent enough for me to level up some toons. (Seriously, few can afford the polish in blizz games).

And you can't get captain america and the other heroes anywhere unless you go back to the very very old marvel ultimate alliance games.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Maybe at the one year anniversary.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    They did a re-review of the game and gave it much higher marks. Not sure why they didn't change it's original score. It may have deserved it back then but the game is much much better now.
  • BrokenSilenceBrokenSilence Member UncommonPosts: 321

Originally posted by DwarfZZZ
    Don't you think this game should be re-reviewed? 5.8 points from the official review doesn't make justice to the actual state of the game.Gamerevolution just published this re-review, by the way:http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/marvel-heroes

I agree completely they definitely need to give it another review now.

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392

YES!   MMORPG.com, you really need to revisit this game.   The game is drastically different.   When this game first launched I DL'd it and uninstalled it in less than 2 days.   It was horrible and deserving of your initial score.    Just a week ago I re-installed after hearing positive things and I play for double digit hour stretches now!    So much of this game has changed, been improved on and simply added to.    

The score is completely NOT representative of the current state of this game.  

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• docminus2docminus2 Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Why do you mention D3? It's more CoH-ish?

--------------------------------------------
    Youtube newb:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96N3cxBuqKTPV2BQNlzGUw

• AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    I agree this game is way better than the score given if they did do a re-review I cant find it. Maybe we could get a MikeB response or something.
  • thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408

Have to agree with everyone else, the game has improved by leaps and bounds.  Hardly feels like the same title, frankly.

Also, this game is far more akin to D3 than CoH or any of the other superhero MMOs out there.  It's a loot-heavy action-rpg with a heavy multiplayer tilt rather than the more typical MMO CoH provided.  Boy, do I miss the latter game, though.

• ImpacthoundImpacthound Member UncommonPosts: 367
    It's similar to D3 also in that a lot of people were dissatisfied with the launch product, and it was vastly improved based on feedback.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
  • Saio3Saio3 Member UncommonPosts: 88

+1

This is my go to game when I got nothing better to play. Also they are having events and giveaways almost every week. they are very active in this aspect. Oh an also their forums rock.

Originally posted by Saio3

+1

This is my go to game when I got nothing better to play. Also they are having events and giveaways almost every week. they are very active in this aspect. Oh an also their forums rock.

I like the achievement system they have in place to encourage constructive posts. More than that, the engagement and direct questions and answers the developers post to the users is really great, on par with or better than Wildstar & Carbine. I already liked their community efforts, but their C2E2 panel really won me over in combination with how they post on their forums.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Wow.  Lots of positive feedback here, and not from members with 1 post named "MarvelHeroesisthebestgameeverOMG".  I actually kind of liked the game and that was many months ago now so I'll definitely give it another go. 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

the game indeed improved a lot since launch. RIght now the only big issue i have is that unlocking heroes through in game means takes a whole lot longer than unlocking a champion in LoL with influence points (which is very very slow). And the microtransactions are just too expensive. A heroe cost more than $5 dollars but less than $10, why cant i just pay the exact amount of dollars? no, i have to pay 10 dollars because thats the next priced tier of microtrans.

Im sick of all those microtransaction pricing schemes. Charge me a specific price and be done with it. I wont need the extra microtransactions, i pay for what i want to use.

Originally posted by rojo6934

the game indeed improved a lot since launch. RIght now the only big issue i have is that unlocking heroes through in game means takes a whole lot longer than unlocking a champion in LoL with influence points (which is very very slow). And the microtransactions are just too expensive. A heroe cost more than $5 dollars but less than $10, why cant i just pay the exact amount of dollars? no, i have to pay 10 dollars because thats the next priced tier of microtrans.

Im sick of all those microtransaction pricing schemes. Charge me a specific price and be done with it. I wont need the extra microtransactions, i pay for what i want to use.

That drives me nuts in League, I've had a weird balance of RP between the three purchases I've made and a gift or two of RP, and the remaining balance is unspendable forever. It's really unsightly.

I've actually dumped m full G's twice in Marvel twice already, which is a little more pleasant to my OCD. It actually helped my clean out my Steam Wallet too, because I had a funny balance from selling trading cards and wallpapers and added the exact amount to the Steam Wallet for my second $10 G bundle. Actually, that reminds me that if you're interested in playing but don't want to spend a lot of money, it's a great reason to dump TF2 hats or other Steam valuables on the market and convert it directly into Marvel Heroes unlocks. Ends up still being free in the long run. Steam was one of the best things to happen to Marvel Heroes for that alone!

It feels like it takes about a month to build up the splinters for a high-cost hero, but at least you can tweak it a little with Special item Find gear. 

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    ;)
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Definitely what Diablo 3 shouldve been systems wise. Anyone who was a fan of Diablo 2 should check this out as the COO is none other than David Brevik (co-founder of blizz north, diablo creator). All of the heroes feel different and they are even adding raids shortly. You aren't limited to 4 people per game like D3 and you can also trade items! WHOAa!
  • rtommasortommaso Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Never thought people cared about MMPORG's reviews.
    Originally posted by rtommaso
    Never thought people cared about MMPORG's reviews.

I don't, I find most of the staff writers on this site are off-putting. But the idea of a re-review was a good point to discuss how much of the game has improved over the course of its first year. I think I leave mostly critical comments whenever I reply to a front-page story or review.

• cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Much prefer City of Heroes and City of Villians. This game seemed worse in almost every aspect - the only hook being the named super heroes you can play with.
    Originally posted by cptndunsel
    Much prefer City of Heroes and City of Villians. This game seemed worse in almost every aspect - the only hook being the named super heroes you can play with.

I agree, I was super-annoyed with Marvel trying to sue City at the time, and then announcing a competing game after they lost. I'm glad it ended up being a different genre entirely, but it also stings less that City isn't up anymore so there isn't that clash of communities. I genuinely like Marvel stuff, but sometimes the marketing & legal decisions they make drive me crazy; this kind of game could have been out a decade ago(albeit with crappier graphics)

• BrokenSilenceBrokenSilence Member UncommonPosts: 321

Originally posted by Nadia
    thanks Op for linking this re-review http://www.gamerevolution.com/review/marvel-heroes

This is even an old review. This is for patch 2.2 which came out in very early February of this year. MH is currently on patch 2.48 and there is a HUGE and I mean HUGE patch that is about to be released featuring tons of new things.. Raids, Omega system and lots more. It's the 1 year anniversary on June 4th and the start of the MH 2014-2015 season. The game is really good but it's about to get a lot better.

Originally posted by cptndunsel

City of Heroes isn't even the same type of game as Marvel Heroes. Marvel Heroes is an ARPG like the Diablo series. If you are looking for something like City of Heroes then Champions Online and DC Universe Online were what you should of played, not Marvel Heroes. Did you not look into the game at all before you installed?

• Profish13Profish13 Member Posts: 1
    The game now is nothing like it was at launch, so doing a new review would seem fitting especially given it's about to hit its 1 year anniversary. When I first started playing, I think that review was appropriate. I enjoyed the game, but it clearly had many flaws and extreme lack of polish. Much has changed since then, and while it still has a long way to go, it continues to become more fun and overall a better game.

I wish the review sites would do a re-review each year for every online game as a lot changes in that amount of time.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    There are listed reviews with a 0/100 on metacritic. Jesus.

Heh, surprised they finally did it. Front page now!

8.2, pretty good, made fair points throughout, other than the "10 wolverines" exaggeration.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/693/view/reviews/load/335