Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

People take too long to die in PvP

gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
Anyone else feel the same way? It takes ages for people to die especially if you are trying to 1v1 them in the battlegrounds. usually the only time people will die is if they get cc'ed then focus fired by several people at once from the enemy team. its especially annoying because the game is kind of twitchy and normally in those kind of games you dont relax until the other person you are focusing is dead but in this game that could take like 5 minutes lol. in order to kill another player you need to land a hit on them like  10-20 times with any given skill and thats without them healing. its kind of like playing a FPS but you are trying to use paintballs to kill another person instead of real bullets and live ammo. 

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

Comments

• AnnekynnAnnekynn Member Posts: 1,437

Good. Long deaths means more time for strategy/tactics and manouvering. This is the exact opposite of games like Planetside 2 where you can take 10 minutes to get somewhere only to get killed in literarily 2 seconds and have to restart all over again.

Now certainly if it becomes too difficult to kill some people then carbine will tweak things, but the fights should definately not be over with in seconds.

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405
    what level range did you pvp at? cuz the scaling changes alot at 50 with pvp gear i'm sure. it may even take longer... or not.. perhaps someone who played at 50 can shed some light on this.. 

• GlanceHealzGlanceHealz Member Posts: 16

if you went into the Bg's at the lowest couple levels, that's the way it is.

gear is huge in this game.

Once I was higher (20s) and had some really nice gear I was killing people in seconds. 

• JemAs666JemAs666 Member UncommonPosts: 252
    So you are basically upset because you can't one shot people?
  • MrDDTMrDDT Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by gessekai332
    Anyone else feel the same way? It takes ages for people to die especially if you are trying to 1v1 them in the battlegrounds. usually the only time people will die is if they get cc'ed then focus fired by several people at once from the enemy team. its especially annoying because the game is kind of twitchy and normally in those kind of games you dont relax until the other person you are focusing is dead but in this game that could take like 5 minutes lol. in order to kill another player you need to land a hit on them like  10-20 times with any given skill and thats without them healing. its kind of like playing a FPS but you are trying to use paintballs to kill another person instead of real bullets and live ammo. 

I think the length of time to kill someone is important. Killing an afk in 10s is to fast, killing them in under 40s is about right, taking 2mins to kill an afk is much to long.

Now non afks are hard to debate, because I would say a battle should be able to go unlimited time without a winner IF both parties are even, I see no issue with this. Where I do see an issue is where most (even uneven fights) take 5+ mins 1v1, where 1 side is clearly out skilling the other side.

I'm happy to hear that there are fights that take 5+ mins 1v1 in Wildstar, I think that's a starting point of a good game if I were to know nothing else about the game. I'm sick of fighting PVP style being who gets the first stun or combo off, or in some games 1 shot kills.

Longer battles/fights allow for more tactics and adaptation. This is not always the case in long battles systems but in short battle systems it is ALWAYS the case where tactics are lacking.

-MrDDT

• r3volt21r3volt21 Member UncommonPosts: 97
    I only played in low lvl pvp during beta I didnt really get this feeling played as a stalker and had no problem killing ppl, although I couldnt burst them during 1 stun. Where as in wow I went back at start of mop (cause my arena/ rbg team did) on my  destro warlock I could  1 shot geared players even with the huge hp buffs and even a healer it was kind of silly I even named my trink+ buff macro 1shot, my cb was hitting for up to 400k + when ppl had 300-350k hp.
  • DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204

No reference point to go by in the Op, no level range, no classes involved, just generalization. This happened in Wow in several eras, Paladins, Shamans, Priests, Locks, Druids... it just depended on the situation and those fights could last all day.

Sky isn't falling.

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Long TTK isn't always the best, allows for too many errors.
  • ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931
    YES! Longer the better.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Not at all, Wildstar does it just right.  No more running into a mob of fighting and dying in 2 hits.  Hate that crap in WoW, Lotro, SWTOR, etc.  I actually get to stay alive and help the party and actually have fun in PVP for once.  That being said, I don't think this game is really a 1 v 1 game, as when to parties come together in those BGs it is just a blast of a time as both are healing, damaging, dodging trying to get one up on the other party, it's just fun.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by elocke
    Not at all, Wildstar does it just right.  No more running into a mob of fighting and dying in 2 hits.  Hate that crap in WoW, Lotro, SWTOR, etc.  I actually get to stay alive and help the party and actually have fun in PVP for once.  That being said, I don't think this game is really a 1 v 1 game, as when to parties come together in those BGs it is just a blast of a time as both are healing, damaging, dodging trying to get one up on the other party, it's just fun.

I am with you here...

personally i loved how they did it in GW2.... build for defense is very hard to kill,  build for offense you can kill fast but die even faster when the assist train hits you.

The ballance in GW2 competitive PvP was great, at least to me... still the strong point of that game..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by elocke

I am with you here...

personally i loved how they did it in GW2.... build for defense is very hard to kill,  build for offense you can kill fast but die even faster when the assist train hits you.

The ballance in GW2 competitive PvP was great, at least to me... still the strong point of that game..

Yeah, I agree with that, I found GW2 PVP, at least SPVP, was fun and mostly because I stayed alive longer than other MMOs.  However, GW2s "light" tab target combat still bugs me.  It truly needs to go all the way to make it feel and flow better IMO, that and zergs still can wipe you fairly fast in W v W v W which ruins the PVP for me in that part of the game.

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570
    Originally posted by gessekai332

1v1 ?  damn MMO.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• redbugredbug Member UncommonPosts: 175
    I disagree with long pvp kills. It favors the zerg instead of the skillful player via the lengthly rescue time allotted. Add in telegraphs and all the semi non afk player has to do is dodge. Screw that, let the effort = a reward, especially when death isn't permanent.
  • ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    Originally posted by redbug
    I disagree with long pvp kills. It favors the zerg instead of the skillful player via the lengthly rescue time allotted. Add in telegraphs and all the semi non afk player has to do is dodge. Screw that, let the effort = a reward, especially when death isn't permanent.

Until OP actually says what level range he played in this is a moot discussion.

It's like complaining that you got one shot by another player, and then later admitting you were level 1 and he was level 50. Duh!!!

• holyneoholyneo Member UncommonPosts: 154

No, I thought it was a good balance.  I played from level 15-26 and I like not getting one shot by someone. Longer battle are fun, compared to sitting at the rez area after being one shotted time after time.

• TheRealDarkeusTheRealDarkeus Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Longer battles make it more of an interesting struggle. It gives it a fighting game vibe almost. I am down with that. :)
  • Twisted77Twisted77 Member UncommonPosts: 89

OP - I also was concerned with the high TTKs in lower level PVP.

I think it will be alright, let's get to 50 (with pvp gear) and see how it is... personally, I like it faster and more twitch, but I think the high TTK will bring a larger audience into the PVP matches (more PVE focused players,  that might want to PVP...  but only if they have the time to strategize a bit more, with a nice time length of play before dying). 

The more people invovled in PVP, the better... will keep the Devs interested in future PVP content.