Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unfortunately, we all know the truth about this game...

Comments

• gexz7gexz7 Member Posts: 131

I love gaming, what bothers me is when companies simply release games that copy WOW or change the trinity. I want a new story I want different skills and I want mobility in spell casting but I want the fundamentals of the RPG genre which involves questing and lasting character development. Maybe WildStar will be a hit maybe it wont but at least they have earned my $60 for trying to change the story even if the fundamentals remain the same, besides what's an RPS without a few quests involving picking up some poop.

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    Originally posted by Igguns

Note to developers:  Better flowing grass with a sort of randomness swaying in the breeze is important.

how about some rolling papers too, if the grass ain't no good then you can kiss my ass, there's not much better than some good grass.
  • muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    I played the beta, I found it boring and clunky but that's my opinion, I am sure other people will love it. But sure I don't go on a WS forum to tell everyone I think the game is crap, this is a blatant flame bait
  • muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by Crusades
    Originally posted by Igguns
    Note to developers:  Better flowing grass with a sort of randomness swaying in the breeze is important.

how about some rolling papers too, if the grass ain't no good then you can kiss my ass, there's not much better than some good grass.

Good 'charas' or 'nepalese'

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    It's just an average MMO to me.  I played the betas and just didn't care to argue one way or the other.  It's just kind of .. there.

I got bored 3 levels in. I still want that game that has instant hooks for me like Lotro did in 2007. For now I am playing single player games like Dark souls and Dragon Age until the hooks get me again

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by angerbeaver
    It's just an average MMO to me.  I played the betas and just didn't care to argue one way or the other.  It's just kind of .. there.

I got bored 3 levels in. I still want that game that has instant hooks for me like Lotro did in 2007. For now I am playing single player games like Dark souls and Dragon Age until the hooks get me again

Thats the sad part about Wildstar, they teach you the game level 1-20 just like all MMOs. Carbine didnt do a good job of making that super fun, I found it MEH at best. Some games are really good at making the teach part fun, WoW was a good case for that and Lotr as well. But if you are a MMOer 20 levels is a cake walk you can do in 1-2 play sessions. Once you are 20 do a dungeon or a shiphand (solo dungeon) and if you dont like what you see, then you will know if this game is or isnt for you.

• koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Originally posted by Bootez

We've seen this so often. Even I almost bought into the hype. And, at this point, who knows, I may fall into the insanity that is buying this game.

It is insanity for a reason: We keep buying these half-finished MMOs, hoping for that old feeling of adventure. I don't see how this game could possibly be any different. The MMO industry is repeating itself. But this game isn't smooth. It isn't a piece of art.

Art here is important. It is obvious this game isn't a piece of art. If you think I'm wrong, go look how all of the grass on the ground flows at the EXACT same time. It shouldn't. It should flow in waves. This game lacks the fine details that make a game a piece of art. I have yet to find an environment in this game that shows an artist's touch. They are talented, yes, but they aren't putting their souls into this game and it becomes painfully obvious when you take a close look at the textures and animations.

Just like all of the recently mmo releases (Apart from maybe Guild Wars 2?), this game fails in the art department. And unfortunately, that is what makes an MMO a living, breathing thing. It needs the fine details in combat as well as art to make it work, which is why WoW has dominated the scene for so long (Apart from Panda-land, which, regardless of how silly some of the expansion is, the environment is still a work of art). 

Deep down, I feel like we all know this. Even my most-excited gamer friends have realized the failure train that this game is on. 

Saying all this is the proof  that you never played it (beta) or you are just another troll. 

You are just a dumbass.

• 43%burnt43%burnt Member UncommonPosts: 162

Art here is important. It is obvious this game isn't a piece of art. If you think I'm wrong, go look how all of the grass on the ground flows at the EXACT same time. It shouldn't. It should flow in waves.

It is also way greener over there. This. Can. Not. Stand.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772

The reason WoW's graphics are so cartoony is because you can play it on just about anything.  You can probably run it on a phone.

Wildstar has the same cartoony graphics but none of the performance perks.

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744
    NO worries man, it's called being burnt out. I mean how many times are you going to be the towns errand boy before it gets old. We have done this a million times in a ton of mmos. The genre never changes, it's not just Wildstar it's all mmos.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

yep that's why I cancelled my order,ESO is good but I also feel a bit let dawn I don't trust games and their developers anymore.

going to do mush more research before buying not just jump on the hype wagon.

interested in sacred 3 but there is no gameplay footage also suspect looks like to me.

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

I actually really like the art style of WS, and I think this game is going to have some to moderate success as a niche raid based alternative to WoW. People will disagree with me, but this game truly is WoW in space, which is not a bad thing at all, WoW is a great game. I have played the beta for several months, and I don't think the art style is the problem. The art and story line is fantastic, the world "feels" alive to me.

My problems arise in the client stability, frame rate issues that plague high end systems still, and the combat having little flow and being very spammy.

I have watched WS evolve over the last few months, and have played enough to confidently say this is not a game that is going to flop, but it's not a game that's going to be as highly populated as say WoW, GW2 or ESO. There just isn't enough interest in more of the same WoW style quest grinding to justify saying it's going to be a multi million player game like one the aboves.

I will say, my wife loves the game and we will be buying 2 copies to play together, so I feel like it's worth the money if your into the art style and WoW game play. We will most likely end up getting to 50 and being done however unless they come up with an alternative to the same old same old raiding end game that both of us have been trying to escape for years now.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607

The truth about this game is that it's just another themepark MMO in a market completely saturated by, and stuck in that type of game design.

I'm done spending money on themepark MMO's. It is pointless for me to continue flushing money down the toilet. I can only play the same type of game for so long until I get bored. Just so happens that over a decade is too damn long. I know the various themeparks have novel differences, but I do the same thing in all of them; grind quests to cap, craft, and do instanced raids/pvp with a smattering of whatever fluff content the game offers i.e. housing.

Even as a player who plays less than 20 hours a week, I can't find the fun in these games anymore. At this point, I'd rather spend $15 a month on Candy Crush Saga. 

• ManasongManasong Member Posts: 208
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Originally posted by angerbeaver

Thats the sad part about Wildstar, they teach you the game level 1-20 just like all MMOs. Carbine didnt do a good job of making that super fun, I found it MEH at best. Some games are really good at making the teach part fun, WoW was a good case for that and Lotr as well. But if you are a MMOer 20 levels is a cake walk you can do in 1-2 play sessions. Once you are 20 do a dungeon or a shiphand (solo dungeon) and if you dont like what you see, then you will know if this game is or isnt for you.

It makes me wonder why do devs still make brain dead unskippable tutorials, why they insist on making incredibly boring the low levels, I know some people are slow learners but they could at least make the beggining of those games fun, first impressions matter, MMO's or not.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by Nevulus

Wildstar is an exceptional artistic game. Combat feels smooth, dungeons & raids are fun. 

Stop saying "we" u dont speak for the masses. I have yet to see anyone in the industry share your opinion. You & 2 of your buddies don't speak for the MMO community  :)

Edit: My bad, I thought you were being serious. The comparison to WoW is a red flag for a troll post.

There also is the fact that behind everything, its just another themepark that we are all sick and tired of, with preset paths your not allowed to deviate from and such, I bought wildstar even though I hate the races, quite frankly they look like shit and are horribly designed visually, but I am letting that slide for what may be the first decent mmorpg in years even if it is just another themepark ride. Though mostly its because I got it for 48 bucks off a website (they had a 20% off anything over 20 dollars in the store coupon at the time), and my best friend is running a guild in it I am a part of. If my friend didn't plan to play it, i'd probally not have bothered with the game at all. Whether I stay past the included month or not is another story.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Siveria

Wildstar is an exceptional artistic game. Combat feels smooth, dungeons & raids are fun. 

Stop saying "we" u dont speak for the masses. I have yet to see anyone in the industry share your opinion. You & 2 of your buddies don't speak for the MMO community  :)

Edit: My bad, I thought you were being serious. The comparison to WoW is a red flag for a troll post.

There also is the fact that behind everything, its just another themepark that we are all sick and tired of, with preset paths your not allowed to deviate from and such, I bought wildstar even though I hate the races, quite frankly they look like shit and are horribly designed visually, but I am letting that slide for what may be the first decent mmorpg in years even if it is just another themepark ride. Though mostly its because I got it for 48 bucks off a website (they had a 20% off anything over 20 dollars in the store coupon at the time), and my best friend is running a guild in it I am a part of. If my friend didn't plan to play it, i'd probally not have bothered with the game at all. Whether I stay past the included month or not is another story.

Dont speak for others.... and start realizing that atleast 90% of the MMO population would hate playing a full  Sandbox game....

there is more then enough different ways to level in this game, to make it way less linear then other, espescially the story based  MMO´s 

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    The game is absolutely gorgeous in my opinion. The look is the only reason I kept giving it a shot even though I wasn't impressed my first try.

• xtravertxtravert Member UncommonPosts: 134
    The "truth" for me is that it's a new game I'm going to enjoy thoroughly. For how long? No idea. I've played enough MMOs that I'm learning to stop comparing them to each other as a way of enjoying them more. Each game has it's own little bits and pieces that make it different.  It's always fun to start a new MMO with a new character and just have fun.  :) I've played enough FPS and Sports games to realize that I don't hate each iteration because the core mechanics haven't changed. Sometimes there's just enough change to make it fresh again.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

We've seen this so often. Even I almost bought into the hype. And, at this point, who knows, I may fall into the insanity that is buying this game. 

Do not like it, do not buy it, do not bash it. Have nothing better to do?

It is insanity for a reason: We keep buying these half-finished MMOs, hoping for that old feeling of adventure. I don't see how this game could possibly be any different. The MMO industry is repeating itself. But this game isn't smooth. It isn't a piece of art.

If this is not art for you then for sure you are not an artist.

Art here is important. It is obvious this game isn't a piece of art. If you think I'm wrong, go look how all of the grass on the ground flows at the EXACT same time. It shouldn't. It should flow in waves. This game lacks the fine details that make a game a piece of art. I have yet to find an environment in this game that shows an artist's touch. They are talented, yes, but they aren't putting their souls into this game and it becomes painfully obvious when you take a close look at the textures and animations.

Just like all of the recently mmo releases (Apart from maybe Guild Wars 2?), this game fails in the art department. And unfortunately, that is what makes an MMO a living, breathing thing.

Faaaaar from this alone, far. This is one of aspects. And art in WS is just as they advertise, cartoony, but true art. Like CO, like Wow ... or like Aoc, TSW, ...

Deep down, I feel like we all know this. Even my most-excited gamer friends have realized the failure train that this game is on. 

Have impression this is just your HOPE. Played beta for 3 days, rarely can remember any game after year or so to run without bugs or crashes (anyway at least in starting areas, never did it past lv. 11 but with 6 alts), so far like it a lot. But that silly 8 buttons limit. If will leave will be for sure for that only.

• SemielSemiel Member UncommonPosts: 94

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Dont speak for others.... and start realizing that atleast 90% of the MMO population would hate playing a full  Sandbox game....

LOL.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

well artistic style is at least mediocre ...

if you want cartoon graphics you can do it far better ! check these awesome truly cartoon graphics ...

yes i agree combat is smooth but their telegraph system becomes a mess when more than 10 people fight in the same place ...

also leveling and questing are old school, in the bad way .. And you will answer its about end game, then why they have all this boring level up system ???  why they dont make it optional ?

i believe it will be an ok game but after 5 months with small population, ArcheAge (although i dont like it either) looks far more promising and interesting as an MMORPG ...

• NovaRyuNovaRyu Member UncommonPosts: 31
    Originally posted by xtravert
    The "truth" for me is that it's a new game I'm going to enjoy thoroughly. For how long? No idea. I've played enough MMOs that I'm learning to stop comparing them to each other as a way of enjoying them more. Each game has it's own little bits and pieces that make it different.  It's always fun to start a new MMO with a new character and just have fun.  :) I've played enough FPS and Sports games to realize that I don't hate each iteration because the core mechanics haven't changed. Sometimes there's just enough change to make it fresh again.

This is a great post and exactly how I feel. Wildstar is not a genre-revolutionizing MMO. It might not even be very successful long term. But, I am really excited about it. Its going to be an awesome month of questing, pvping and raiding. If I get sucked into it for a few monthes after that, that will be amazing. If I get bored of it, oh well it was still a great month of going through the story of a new game. I'll head back to FFXIV where a new patch will be coming out with some new raids (and maybe new classes).

Its nice to be able to still get excited about a new MMO, knowing it might not be my "dream" game. I feel kind of bad for people that are so jaded at this point that they can't get excited about anything unless its perfect for them.

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I just wanted to say that as an artist the OP doesn't have a clue what he's talking about, and the part of the OP about the game and art is a bunch of nonsense.  Art isn't always pretty, pleasing, or appealing to every viewer.  Bacon painted portraits that had no foundation in realism and are considered masterpieces, god forbid the grass in wildstar flow in the same direction.  

Opinions founded on ignorance and self importance are rarely correct, as demonstrated in the OP.  

Its also wrong to say "we all".  You speak for yourself, not everyone.  

For the record, I have no intentions of playing this game.  

• mari3kmari3k Member Posts: 135

The games sucks. (for me).. just another wow clone.... well thats no news for us.

However, I do not want to troll the people you are exited to play it. Enjoy it as long as it goes. Im done with mmos like this, same as with this forum where I got banned over 20 times just for saying my opinion to something...

Step in the arena and break the wall down

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Originally posted by Chaosspeeder
    What makes you believe, that WildStar is a WoW clone? 

Well I don't know who you are referring to, but after playing it several months the only game that comes as close to being a copy of WoW is Rift. I don't think copying WoW is a bad idea either, especially with a space/sci-fi theme. I'm excited for the game's release, but to deny that it looks, plays, feels, and breathes like WoW does is dishonest in this man's humble opinion.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.