Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Star Wars: The Old Republic: A New Playable Race in SWTOR?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Due to the voice acting present, there could never be a new race that could not speak Basic.  Sorry, Wookiee fans, but despite the fact that Wookiees were playable in Star Wars: Galaxies and the Smuggler gets one as a companion, they'd have to rewire all of the voice acting to accommodate them in SWTOR.  Same with folks wanting to play Trandoshans in homage to Qyzen Fess, or those of us crazy souls who think it would be pretty awesome (if a liiiiiiiittle bit lore-breaking) to run around as a Jawa Jedi Knight.  

Read more of Jean Prior's Star Wars: The Old Republic: A New Playable Race in SWTOR?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Wookies would work fine you could just use sub titles and hire someone to make a funny noise.. hell you dont even have to hire someone just use the person who makes the tea in the office.

• Grand_NagusGrand_Nagus Member UncommonPosts: 335
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Wookies would work fine you could just use sub titles and hire someone to make a funny noise.. hell you dont even have to hire someone just use the person who makes the tea in the office.

Assuming the person who makes tea can actually do a decent Wookie impression. I've heard some really terrible ones, and they would obviously want one that sounds similar to Chewie.

They would also probably need one for each gender, as a male and female wouldnt sound exactly the same.
  • patx6xpatx6x Member UncommonPosts: 11
    it is so boring to play starwars and can be able to play real alien for idee like they dont speack basic really stupid comment fail to creator XD 
  • KinadoKinado Member Posts: 198
    They ll probably choose a race that's very humanoid like. One which they can use actual in-game helmet models without having to redesign them.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

Bioware never, ever thinks out of their little box, or they just make up lame excuses.

Just create crazy alien race XY, even Jawas, but make them non-story, grinding-only characters.

Only you need to have finished that class with a story character, to unlock "crazy-race" guy.

Then you can have your Jawa-Jedi

Or Bounty hunter Ewok.

And no, none of them can do class, side quests or flashpoints.

Only PvP and generic planet mobs.

Or hey even better. Add a 1-55 grinding planet for those classes, their homeplanet.

Endor for Ewoks, add planetary story arc for the little guys, why not?

Kashyyk for Wookies, add planetary story arc for wookies only, why not?

nerdgasm

recolored human? MEH, boring

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Refusing to do species that cannot enunciate basic is simply born of laziness. They already have "voice acting" for many of these languages. Adding in a bit more variation and some subtitles would not be difficult. 

AS for which races to choose, my votes, in order are...

Yoda's Species, which of course they will never do.

Rodians, I did play a Rodian in SWG.

Voss.

All die, so die well.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Maybe I'm the exception / minority in this, but I never liked the race options in TOR, most of my characters are human (except one zabrak, who's fully orange, and an Agent. I know, I know, weak joke :) still better than a cyborg Agent Fox Mulder I've met at launch in Dromund Kaas...)

"Which one do you think it might be?"   my bet would go on togruta. Chasing the clone wars fans. (man, what a piece of garbage that series is...)

Agree with DocBrody, they'd never think out of the box. And while I'm not much interested in race options, I'd love to have a Wookie character. Or a droid. A smooth-talking ex-prot.droid Smuggler :)

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Make Nadia Grell's race  playable, or .Arkanian/Arkanian Offshoot.

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    Originally posted by Grand_Nagus
    Originally posted by Caldrin

Assuming the person who makes tea can actually do a decent Wookie impression. I've heard some really terrible ones, and they would obviously want one that sounds similar to Chewie.

They would also probably need one for each gender, as a male and female wouldnt sound exactly the same.

So take the digital sound tracks of chewbaca from the movie and patch it in, that would be an easy fix, there has to be hundreds of hours recorded of that sound at ILM. 

• VichusSmithVichusSmith Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Are there no Jawa Jedi?

There's nothing more gratifying than playing an MMO for free.

• coorsguyscoorsguys Member Posts: 272
    Oh look a Swtor thread full of they are damned if the do and damned if thy don't...surprise surprise.  
  • GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605

Would you guys seriously consider going through the leveling process again just because they add a new skin?

The quests would be the same and you'd end up looking just like all your other toons once you got a full set of armor.

I don't see them adding a non basic speaking race and they surely won't add new character models either (at least I hope they don't cause the game already has enough performance issues as is)...so what's the big deal?

SWTOR has many great things going for it but racial differentiation isn't one of them.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by coorsguys
    Oh look a Swtor thread full of they are damned if the do and damned if thy don't...surprise surprise.  
    Yeah I know. But a the same time, subtitles and a few extra "voice" sounds and you can have Wookies, Jawas, Ithorians, all those races. And since subtitles are already available in the game, and the artwork for most of the alien races are done, and most of the voice work is done, why not?
  • coorsguyscoorsguys Member Posts: 272
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Yeah I know. But a the same time, subtitles and a few extra "voice" sounds and you can have Wookies, Jawas, Ithorians, all those races. And since subtitles are already available in the game, and the artwork for most of the alien races are done, and most of the voice work is done, why not?

I agree it would be nice but it's not something to bash them over.  At this point it really doesn't matter what they add or don't add some will always jump on a Swtor thread and complain.  
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Foomerang   Originally posted by coorsguys Oh look a Swtor thread full of they are damned if the do and damned if thy don't...surprise surprise.  
     I agree it would be nice but it's not something to bash them over.  At this point it really doesn't matter what they add or don't add some will always jump on a Swtor thread and complain.  

Yeah thats pretty much every game heh.
  • Insurgent99Insurgent99 Member Posts: 58
    I want to be a yoda BH.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Originally posted by VichusSmith
    Are there no Jawa Jedi?

There are.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• GormogonGormogon Member UncommonPosts: 224

Quarren have definitely appeared as NPCs in both of the Knights of the Old Republic games.  In the first there is a Quarren in the apartment complex the player and his companions use as a hideout on Taris.  In the second there is an Exchange crime lord on Citadel Station named Loppak Slusk, and on Nar Shaaa the Quarren Saquesh was a slaver in the Refugee Sector.  Those are off the top of my head, there may be more.

• Wraith0Wraith0 Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Duros could be more popular than the author thinks, the Clone Wars cartoon introduced Cad Bane and people seemed to really like him.  
  • AshikuroAshikuro Member UncommonPosts: 68
    They have a Jawa force mystic with force powers, but not Jedi. ...yet?
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

They need to add more races. They can over come voice acting by using existing voices. No need to re voice or rewrite new dialogue. Or they can continue without ever adding more races because it costs too much. Or do what mmos do. Add more races, add more classes and add new mechanics. 

over their two year period they added 3d space combat and now player housing as new mechanics. Still waiting for pazaak and swoop racing and more races for character creation.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I would so play a Jawa!

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Po_gg

Agree with DocBrody, they'd never think out of the box. And while I'm not much interested in race options, I'd love to have a Wookie character. Or a droid. A smooth-talking ex-prot.droid Smuggler :)

the funny thing is they blame it on the story and voiceacting!

No you can't be a Wookie or a Jawa because of .. yeah, class story, quests.

Then make race specific quests for Yodas sake. As stated above, screw class story and forget running thorugh the same boring planets.

Who wants to run through Alderaan again, with another recolored human?

Build a lvl.1-50 Endor and let me grind out an Ewok with limited customization options.

Build a lvl 1-50 Kashyyk and et me get Wookie quests there.

NPCs on other planets, fine they ignore Ewoks and Wookies, won't give them a mission, so what?

Let me be a Jawa on Tattooine, getting Jawa specific missions or a planetary arc

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I think lore wise you couldn't assume everyone understands Wookie. Some suspension of disbelief could work though.

• KanuvinaKanuvina Member Posts: 2
    I am hoping for Togruta and/or Nautilan - these are my top faves :)