Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why World of Warcraft is the King of Kings, The Greatest, The number one of all MMO's.

123457»

Comments

• skulyskuly Member UncommonPosts: 140

When I think of WoW I think of Nike, Apple products,Samsung Galaxy whatever , video game consoles.

People make crappy products popular...and once the product gets popular the companies take the cash and use it to better or expand their products.

Often times they turn those crappy products into something better because they where one of the lucky ones to get noticed.

So much time and money has been thrown at WoW by blizzard, of course it's the king of the mmorpg genre...but all king's reigns come to an end at some point. 

There was a TV show I loved so much called Sliders..It's the main thing that got me thinking about alternate possibilities and parallel worlds. I often wonder,what if Albert Einstein was killed by the Nazi's in WW2..the world would be such a different place.

Imagine WoW never got created..Maybe a previously released mmorpg would of grew to be as popular as wow or maybe it would be years later when a game came along to make mmorpg's super popular.

But It's likely something else would of been "world of Warcraft".

Everquest and Ultima Online laid the ground work for the MMORPG genre to blow up..it was just a matter of time..if it wasn't wow it probably would of been something else.

It also makes me think...if wow never existed...maybe the genre would of advanced and not have been stalled by companies trying to clone wow..maybe games like Matrix Online would of had a chance and maybe Sony wouldn't of ruined Starwars Galaxies in 2005 with NGE.

Processor: Intel Core I5-2320
    Memory: 8GB DDR3 RAM
    HDD: Samsung 830 256gb SSD-SATA3
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7950 3gb

Steam:Skuly
    Warframe:Skuly1775

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by reeereee
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    Originally posted by sportsfan
    I havent been to McDonald's in years, guess I just dont like the greatest food in the world lol :D

WoW is the 5 stars restaurant these days as 7.5 million PAY to just get a meal while the others are the fast food bars giving free meals at a rather stinky self service bar.

That's a reality. Accept to live with it if you still visit these bars.

For years elitists thought they had an argument, but now that argument turned clearly against them.

It shows how subpar that competition REALLY was,..

It is proof that WoW stands miles above these free to play unpolished things. WTF: you ask 180 dollars to play and STILL beat the competition by many, many millions...

And ... how long can you stay open by distributing free meals in a costly enterprise ? Ask Warhammer, Vanguard and a few dozen others .... :)

So these "things" display free meals but you have to pay to get a fork, a spoon, a napkin, a chair and a decent table ...:). And of course these tools are microscopic, expect to upgrade them all of the time... before even starting to eat properly ...No wonder why WoW is the best.

Yeah, you made your point, millions go to McDonald's (WoW) and millions go to homeless shelters to get free meals (Perfect World), that's fine. Eating Big Macs or cheese burgers is okay, do it, I dont care, if you are happy good for you, millions are happy to eat cheeseburgers, it's not my job to tell them they should do something else and I'm not telling. Like I said, I simply just dont like the greatest food in the world which is burgers, I'm pretty sure I have the rigth not to like burgers if I prefer steak or whatever :)

Your analogy is terrible because there is no game more expensive than WoW.  It would work if there was some amazing mmo out there that costs $30+ a month to subscribe, but there isn't.  If we compared restaurants to mmos, it would be like the most expensive restaurant in the world also sold the most food.

But that is fine, because we all know that people link WoW and McDonald's not because of the price, but because of the nature of the experience you get.

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    Lol i love this thread. The title is wonderful and even though it's true, it trolls the locals here hard.
  • ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    Originally posted by laresloci
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    With billions served, McDonalds is the best food ever !!!

So sayeth the people of Walmart!

Bill Gates approves of this!

• masterdtoxmasterdtox Member Posts: 66
    Originally posted by sportsfan
    I havent been to McDonald's in years, guess I just dont like the greatest food in the world lol :D

WoW is the 5 stars restaurant these days as 7.5 million PAY to just get a meal while the others are the fast food bars giving free meals at a rather stinky self service bar.

That's a reality. Accept to live with it if you still visit these bars.

For years elitists thought they had an argument, but now that argument turned clearly against them.

It shows how subpar that competition REALLY was,..

It is proof that WoW stands miles above these free to play unpolished things. WTF: you ask 180 dollars to play and STILL beat the competition by many, many millions...

And ... how long can you stay open by distributing free meals in a costly enterprise ? Ask Warhammer, Vanguard and a few dozen others .... :)

So these "things" display free meals but you have to pay to get a fork, a spoon, a napkin, a chair and a decent table ...:). And of course these tools are microscopic, expect to upgrade them all of the time... before even starting to eat properly ...No wonder why WoW is the best.

Ye u get a good meal within 6-14 months (content) GL on that, i will enjoy my Mac.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    What do you think would happen if every mmo gamer voted right now...not just people who happen to read forums. If the best isn't decided by the most popular what arbitrary conditions do decide it ?

Exposure? More people having played/heard of something doesn't make it the best at anything. IN most products actually the best is quite often the most expensive option, yet it wouldn't be voted so due to lack of massive exposure as it's typically too expensive for that. Many view Les-paul as the best guitar, mostly due to exposure, it can be affordable. However there are more finely crafted instruments than that, they're just out of most peoples financial reach.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• mark2123mark2123 Member UncommonPosts: 450
    I've really enjoyed playing WoW, but for a subscription game, the content releases are few and far between.   Seems like an age since something came out and I'm bored of the sameyness of it now - so getting excited about Wildstar as it's the type of game I personally enjoy, but fresher.
  • Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I think future MMOs should involve Oculus Rift. 

As such, I expect WoW to become less popular.

I'm looking forward to Elite: Dangerous' release, roughly this September.

It's worth understanding that WoW's impressive figures are mostly due to how WoW was pre-2008. I know that my Fire Mage will never be the same again, so I've moved on from WoW.

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451

Necro is necro...

"Please be mindful of a thread's age before replying to it. Thank you."

"Please do not bump an old thread simply for the sake of bumping."

"Please be mindful of a thread's age before replying to it in the future. If you have a similar question or feedback, please feel free to open a new thread. Thanks!"

"Due to the unproductive turn it has taken, this post is going to be locked."

"Hi all, thread is being locked as it really doesn't lend itself to constructive conversation. We respectfully ask that you refrain from name calling or any other sort of behavior that may draw the ire of your fellow posters. Thank you for your understanding.

If you wish to recreate the topic in such a way that encourages civil discussion regarding why some players have criticism to offer, by all means do so."

"Folks, please be mindful of the date on a thread and do not resurrect/bump it if it is fairly old. If you wish provide feedback on a topic or participate in a discussion create your own or find one that is recent. This thread will now be locked."

At least Blizzard moderates their forums...

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    If necroing was really that onerous, why don't they just auto-lock threads after a month or three of inactivity?

• coorsguyscoorsguys Member Posts: 272
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

I think future MMOs should involve Oculus Rift. 

As such, I expect WoW to become less popular.

I'm looking forward to Elite: Dangerous' release, roughly this September.

It's worth understanding that WoW's impressive figures are mostly due to how WoW was pre-2008. I know that my Fire Mage will never be the same again, so I've moved on from WoW.

So before the future of mmos can be some VR stuff we are going to need to see some quality single player VR stuff .  So since we don't have any VR single player stuff that's readily available the future of mmos is not VR.  I see VR in video games going the way of the 3D tv.  Sure it's cool every now and then but it will never be the main way we watch tv or play video games...at least for the foreseeable future.  

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    @ distopia, the quality of games is a subjective thing. No one opinion is more valid than another. So technically the most objective way to look at how many people like the game. Your analogy is off. Wow is actually the most expensive mmo to play yet it is still the most popular. You can't argue that people who play wow can't afford to pay for other mmos as was the case in your analogy.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• onidiusonidius Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by funyahns
    Commercial success does not equate to best quality.  Now WoW is a good mmo but trying to say because it makes X amount of money means it is better than anyone else is wrong.

So making the most money while your competition fades and goes f2p is not a sign you're better? Amazing logic...

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595

What if...McDonalds actually made you lose weight when you ate it?  whoa!

White Castle does, the morning after.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by onidius
    Originally posted by funyahns
    Commercial success does not equate to best quality.  Now WoW is a good mmo but trying to say because it makes X amount of money means it is better than anyone else is wrong.

So making the most money while your competition fades and goes f2p is not a sign you're better? Amazing logic...

Better?    Better at what?  Better is quite a subjective word.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• MeridiasBeaconMeridiasBeacon Member Posts: 86
    new expansion will dominate for sure
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I find it funny that people hate all over WoW on the internet, but when a site offers a beta key, it nearly crashes the server...never seen mmorpg.com be so slow like it was earlier, and they offer beta keys to pretty much any game that's come out as long as I've been here...

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    What do you think would happen if every mmo gamer voted right now...not just people who happen to read forums. If the best isn't decided by the most popular what arbitrary conditions do decide it ?

None, there is no universally accepted best "videogame"... There will never be, it's like asking who's the best band...Far too subjective to quantify..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Toyota Corolla best selling car of all time, therefor king of kings, the greatest, the number one of all cars!