Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Decided Not to Play at Launch: Was it Poor Marketing by Carbine or Me?

XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359

Regardless of how many times I've gotten burned, I've always been willing to give every new MMO a decent shot at launch.  

While I've gone into many MMO's with unrealistic expectations, over the years I've learned that most games will probably only give me a couple of weeks of enjoyment before I go back to my normal rotation, and I'm OK with that.

But for the first time in many years, I'm not buying an MMO at launch and may pass on it altogether, which begs the question:   Did Carbine do a poor job of marketing Wildstar or have I finally become immune to hype trains?

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Xssiv

Regardless of how many times I've gotten burned, I've always been willing to give every new MMO a decent shot at launch.  

While I've gone into many MMO's with unrealistic expectations, over the years I've learned that most games will probably only give me a couple of weeks of enjoyment before I go back to my normal rotation, and I'm OK with that.

But for the first time in many years, I'm not buying an MMO at launch and may pass on it altogether, which begs the question:   Did Carbine do a poor job of marketing Wildstar or have I finally become immune to hype trains?

I doubt that you're "immune", seeing as you're still playing (and reading about) MMO's. However, you are most likely more resistant than before. Time and experience will do that.

If the game didn't "click" with you initially, you probably lost your seat on the hype-train. If you continue to lurk around here though, you'll probably get swept up in a last-minute wave of hype, rush out to grab a copy 24 hours before launch and then realise 2 weeks later that you did it AGAIN... image

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103
    I think what you are probably feeling is what I'm feeling from wildstar, that it should be a free to play game and its hard to buy something your not excited about to the degree a sub based game would make you feel.   Nothing kills a hype train faster then a sub on a F2P type game.
  • XssivXssiv Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

I doubt that you're "immune", seeing as you're still playing (and reading about) MMO's. However, you are most likely more resistant than before. Time and experience will do that.

If the game didn't "click" with you initially, you probably lost your seat on the hype-train. If you continue to lurk around here though, you'll probably get swept up in a last-minute wave of hype, rush out to grab a copy 24 hours before launch and then realise 2 weeks later that you did it AGAIN... image

Yea, that tends to happen from time to time....  hehe

I actually followed most of the articles and dev speak vids over the past year or so and genuinely thought I would be more excited about the game this close to launch.  

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Originally posted by Knotwood
    I think what you are probably feeling is what I'm feeling from wildstar, that it should be a free to play game and its hard to buy something your not excited about to the degree a sub based game would make you feel.   Nothing kills a hype train faster then a sub on a F2P type game.

Yes, i know what you mean. I felt the same for ESO and its the reason that in less than a month almost every1 abandoned it.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281

I think gamers, especially mmo gamers, have just gotten really jaded over time. I know it's happened to me. However, I've found myself drinking the cool-aid on this one and have actually gotten pretty excited about launch. But who knows, this could just be a rebound game for me after the ESO disappointment.

I think that the way Carbine has been marketing Wildstar is pretty original and entertaining. Plus, it's nice to see a game that actually delivers on most of the features it claims to have. But as far as launch goes, we'll just have to wait and see how the servers etc. hold up. image

• TX_ImhotepTX_Imhotep Member Posts: 30
    OP its you. TESO was marketed heavily and I just couldnt be bothered to buy it. Played the beta and passed.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I did not buy ESO because it failed to impress me during beta but Wildstar has so my money goes to Wildstar. I am hoping for a good time. 
    Chamber of Chains
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Knot wood, free to play does not make a game more fun. If you want to tr wildstar out , simply pick up a free trial.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• seafirexseafirex Member UncommonPosts: 419

It could be a good choice in your situation to wait before you buy, because you are not 100% sure if you will like it or not. Try asking a friend for a trial key once the game is release. 

Anyone that pre-order gets a few keys to let people try for 7 days. ( yes 7 days full access to try the game ). If you like it after then buy it.  

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    Knot wood, free to play does not make a game more fun. If you want to tr wildstar out , simply pick up a free trial.

I agree with you on that one.  Its like when I played neverwinter, would I have ever played it if it wasn't F2P, most definatly not.  If a game doesn't excite me at launch, its gonna have to be low priced or free to play, and almost 95% of the free to play games today do not excite me, just like Wildstar.

• coventryhagdogcoventryhagdog Member Posts: 85

OP you've contracted a serious disease and that disease is known as not being a complete moron. 

There are more who share your affliction with every passing day. 

Rejoice, you are not alone!

• vandal5627vandal5627 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    I'm definitely not immune to the hype.  I've been burnt so many times but I still come back for more. :) I'm sure I'm going to buy Wildstar with the hype and I haven't even tried any of the betas.
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I think we all change a bit as we move along through life.

For me, while I've read a bit about the game, it looks enough "more of the same", in another bad cartoony style, that I've grown tired of over time.  They simply don't interest me enough to buy them, and Wildstar falls into that category.

In short, I think they've designed the game the way they want, and are marketing what it is, it just doesn't appeal to me in any way.  Perhaps you're in the same boat.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

That is something called "experience", you probably realized that waiting a few months after launch will tell you a lot about the game and if you still want to play it you will be spared all annoying launching bugs that plagues the genre.

Gratz, you just gained a level. :)

• obocoboc Member UncommonPosts: 189

And this may be the one time to do really regret not buying it. I think it was a good idea to not waste millions on tv ads, an instead use that money for the game content. I really do believe this game will grow and grow over the next two years. They have done so many things right, word of mouth alone is gonna pull in so many people. Not being over hyped is what has gotten me. Unlike the last few major let downs that spent millions on PR. 

These Devs have some huge balls for saying the things they have thus far. The community is gonna hold them to every dang word of it ! 

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

well, what they did was "here is our beta. prove us wrong about our game".

they did not spend 50 million into marketing like EA did, they put their money into development. imo the only right thing to do.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118

Wow! So you just answered your own question and yet, you still come to za forums and post a none-sens thread. 

Congrats!

And .. yes yes it's you! You have finally become immature, I mean immune to the hype train(s).

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    Originally posted by kikosforever
    Originally posted by Knotwood

Yes, i know what you mean. I felt the same for ESO and its the reason that in less than a month almost every1 abandoned it.

Or ESO was a rushed out, buggy, unfinished mess-so thats why people left. If it waited 3 months and actually finished it, there would probably be a solid sub base. I never get these "sub makes game unplayable" responses. If it F2P you still have to pay to access all the game, or they slow progression so u buy xp boosts, etc. If .50$ per day makes someone unsub, then is it really a good enough game to play for "free". It's either fun/good or not fun bad. Only an extreme cheapskate would play a game they didin't like just because free.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

In retrospect I would say starting swtor now instead of at launch would be a lot better (housing and completionist items while starting- and better space game). So if swtor can offer a better experience to new players than players starting at launch, then it can be true for many other games including ESO, and WS which i know little about in its current state.

So, waiting is a wise thing to do for any game really, including single players... but it might be like a movie, that a certain hype makes the movie less enjoyable when not in going out to the movies mode... similar to new game with everyone mode or something of the sort that makes it more enjoyable. Yet, also for launch, its wise for the devs to make sure its not in beta when they launch of course or it hurts their game... so avoicing launch of games to avoid bugs and miss out on the hype should not be a reason unless the market dictates such unfortunate perceptions.

Swtor did not have any bugs (excluding OPs/FPs), but lacked retention to continue their huge plans and shifted their development around which affected the develpoment of the game and its players caught in the middle (better for those after it was sorted out)... nonetheless to a new player its a solid themepark for the good and bad things that make it a themepark.

So... again, waiting can be a good thing... but miss out on the hype while playing since WS also has player housing from the beginning ... so starting later wont mean you avoid what happened at swtor for those that began and are expected to collect trophies or what not depending on how they do player housing/exploration/completion of content several months/years after finishing thier alts.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610

Carbine fans have been asking them to Market more. By far this is the most under marketed tripple A MMO I have seen. The list to features in this game is mind blowing. I have not seen this much content in 15 years on a new MMO. Why they didnt yell this on the roof tops I dont know lol

EDIT: Whats in the game...

• Veteran Dungeons and Adventures
    • Open World Bosses
    • 20 man raids
    • 40 man raids
    • 80 man raid for final weapon Imbuements
    • 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 Arenas
    • Battlegrounds
    • Warplots (Battle housing including the ability to summon bosses to fight with you)
    • Paths (Reasons to do additional content of your choosing)
    • A crafting system with talents and specializations within a chosen craft
    • Story line that can be done solo, that takes you through the raid dungeons and gives you more lore detail than actually doing the raid.
    • Elder solo story unlocked level 50 that going to be updated to keep solo gamers playing
    • Shiphands (Solo dungeon runs you can bring friends on)
    • Zone events
    P.S. Thanks Kaladin for making this list.
  • PulsarManPulsarMan Member Posts: 289
    Keep an eye out, see how things go during / post launch. I'm picking it up, but I'm advising most of my friends to just wait and see how things pan out. 
  • SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    Carbine fans have been asking them to Market more. By far this is the most under marketed tripple A MMO I have seen. The list to features in this game is mind blowing. I have not seen this much content in 15 years on a new MMO. Why they didnt yell this on the roof tops I dont know lol

• Open World Bosses
    • 20 man raids
    • 40 man raids
    • 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 Arenas
    • Battlegrounds
    • Warplots (Battle housing including the ability to summon bosses to fight with you)
    • Story line that can be done solo, that takes you through the raid dungeons and gives you more lore detail than actually doing the raid.
    • Elder solo story unlocked level 50 that going to be updated to keep solo gamers playing
    • Zone events

Because they dont actually need to do it.

They are experienced developers and they know that putting money on things like voice overs, cinematics etc are a big waste and you can see this by watching the failure of ESO. They (and me) think that the full budget must go where the REAL game is and this is content and content is where WS rules.

They don't need to spent more money to advertise the product, at least more than they already did. Game will be self advertised by the fans and the raiding guilds, when they start streaming and spread the word by mouth.

Many hardcore and well known guilds and players are heading to WS and believe me they are the best advertisement a mmo could get :)

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

I'm really taken aback by the cynicism the MMO community exhibits. Wildstar addresses many of the common complaints - no end game, lack of meaningful crafting, lack of housing, lack of both casual and hardcore content. The only complaint it doesn't address - questing - is irrelevant anyways. Then we get games like ESO that come out, which was rightly bashed for being a shallow mess,and all of a sudden no one wants a new mmo? Not even if it was what was being asked for years ago? Every single games out and we hear the same complaints. If you can't support this game then don't complain about the f2p shit that keeps seeping out of every dev's ass, with pay restrictions around every corner. It's games like this and Guild Wars 2 that give players something they actually asked for and it turns out, nope I'm bored. 

So in short, OP, it's you. What exactly do you want? Please tell me.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by kikosforever

Because they dont actually need to do it.

They are experienced developers and they know that putting money on things like voice overs, cinematics etc are a big waste and you can see this by watching the failure of ESO. They (and me) think that the full budget must go where the REAL game is and this is content and content is where WS rules.

They don't need to spent more money to advertise the product, at least more than they already did. Game will be self advertised by the fans and the raiding guilds, when they start streaming and spread the word by mouth.

Many hardcore and well known guilds and players are heading to WS and believe me they are the best advertisement a mmo could get :)

I'm really hoping the lack of hype translates into less fickle players in the game. I want players that actually care about the game in it, not the latest horde of content locusts.

• onidiusonidius Member Posts: 10

• Open World Bosses
    • 20 man raids
    • 40 man raids
    • 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 Arenas
    • Battlegrounds
    • Zone events

Veteran Dungeons and Adventures are basically the max level version of the previous dungeons and adventures you've done.

Doesn't a lot of games have open world bosses/events in one form or another? 

80 man raid? Yeah no thanks waiting 2 hours just to get the raid together, with a game that tout its hardcoreness, I doubt they're gonna pug. 

Paths: the most annoying in the game, not to mention the ridiculous challenge crap they throw at you.

Elder story is just more questing and events, nothing new (Like wow dailies). 

Shiphands is just boring... no offense.