Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gaming Laptops

PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093
So I'm in the market for a good gaming laptop, but I'm having a hard time making a choice. I'm looking for something that's not huge, both in terms of physical size and cost. 15.6" is my cap for the latter since I actually want to be able to move it, and the former should be around $1300-$1800, though in both cases lower is better. The two that seem to fit the bill the best are the MSI GS60 and the Lenovo Y50 (I know it's not out yet). I have been eyeing the Razer Blade 14 too. It takes my price range and just laughs, but if it's a good enough machine I think I could justify it. My biggest worry right now is honestly build quality since it will have to last me 3-4 years minimum, so I imagine that the Blade is the best while the Lenovo is likely to be the worst. But anyway, if anyone has any thoughts, suggestions, or experiences they can share that would be much appreciated.

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    Why do you want a gaming laptop?  What are you going to do with it?
  • tetiteti Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by atticusbc
    So I'm in the market for a good gaming laptop, but I'm having a hard time making a choice. I'm looking for something that's not huge, both in terms of physical size and cost. 15.6" is my cap for the latter since I actually want to be able to move it, and the former should be around $1300-$1800, though in both cases lower is better. The two that seem to fit the bill the best are the MSI GS60 and the Lenovo Y50 (I know it's not out yet). I have been eyeing the Razer Blade 14 too. It takes my price range and just laughs, but if it's a good enough machine I think I could justify it. My biggest worry right now is honestly build quality since it will have to last me 3-4 years minimum, so I imagine that the Blade is the best while the Lenovo is likely to be the worst. But anyway, if anyone has any thoughts, suggestions, or experiences they can share that would be much appreciated.

I know you already stated that you are looking at 15.6" but I want to let you know that IMO that is a good decision. I decided in 2012 to get a desktop replacement Laptop b/c I travel a lot. I mistakenly thought I should go for a 17" screen since I am getting older and my vision is not what it once was. I love my laptop but it is a BEAST in size, I had to order a very expensive, custom backpack to fit it b/c I never once thought of the complete dimensions that come with a screen that large  ...and of course the weight. Also, the other thing I did not think about was how big the power brick was going to be due to the wattage requirements for high output. I do love my Sager and steered my brother into buying one and he is happy too. I would have to get you the exact model but 1 yr ago a friend of mine bought another ROG ASUS and loves it and this year another friend bought an MSI and loves it too.

I would ask though:

Do you travel a lot?

Are you a student, military, etc?

Do you have professional requirements? 

What kind of games do you play?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sager is probably offering the best performance for the money, and they are very easy to work with.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PNM_JenningsPNM_Jennings Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by Quizzical

Originally posted by teti

I would ask though:

Do you travel a lot?

Two birds with one stone.

The trick is is that I am a student now, but I will be in the Navy within the year. And right now I have my desktop for all my gaming needs, and an iPad for the mobility, but I will need something that does both. I also plan on traveling a lot between now and then as well, though I don't know if I will want to bring a $1500 piece of equipment with me on that.

But as for what games, lots of MMOs, lots of Total War (Rome 2 and Shogun 2) or Civ V, Borderlands 2, etc., etc. So potentially fairly graphics heavy games, especially since I'm used to playing with mostly maxed settings, and certainly resource intensive ones. So I definitely want a fairly powerful machine.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

If it's going to be quite a while before you need the gaming laptop and your current setup no longer works, then it may be best to wait on buying the laptop.

Do you know what your living situation is going to be like in the Navy?  Why would a laptop work but your current desktop and tablet not?

If it's going to be quite a while before you need the gaming laptop and your current setup no longer works, then it may be best to wait on buying the laptop.

Do you know what your living situation is going to be like in the Navy?  Why would a laptop work but your current desktop and tablet not?

Well I'd have use for the lap to beforehand, though my desktop works fine. I'll just not be around it for a lot of the summer. But why would it be better to wait? Also I don't know what my situation will be, but I doubt I'll have room for a desktop. I'll only be in for four years, so the likelihood of my getting an apartment is fairly low.

• Moar61Moar61 Member UncommonPosts: 260
    You'd understand the need for a gaming laptop when you do travel around, especially for extended time periods. As a guitarist, pc gamer, and a university student I'm often left to choose to either bring home my PC on holidays or my guitar gear. It's a battle you can't win yet I always have my laptop. Unfortunately it's not a gaming laptop, so I'm stuck playing CSGO. 
    Originally posted by Moar61
    You'd understand the need for a gaming laptop when you do travel around, especially for extended time periods. As a guitarist, pc gamer, and a university student I'm often left to choose to either bring home my PC on holidays or my guitar gear. It's a battle you can't win yet I always have my laptop. Unfortunately it's not a gaming laptop, so I'm stuck playing CSGO. 

I hear ya. It's a battle I've struggled with throughout college, especially since my parents live in different places. Three living spaces, one very not-mobile desktop set up. I've always sorta lusted after a gaming laptop to end the issue once and for all, and now that I'm graduating it seems like as good a time as any.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

I've tried mixing light and portable with gaming power by getting the sony vaio svs15 (pretty decent back when I bought it) but the gaming power lacked too much. If I were going to get a laptop that I wanted to be used for gaming I would get the Lenovo y500 with dual graphics cards. Why? Best bang for your buck.

If I was going get a laptop that I planned on doing work on and needed it to be portable, as in not using a desk, I wouldn't bother with powerful gaming performance and just get something comfortable and light as long as it has an Intel HD5000 or higher you'll be able to pass the time with decent games just fine until you can get home to your desktop.

Originally posted by teti

I would ask though:

Do you travel a lot?

Two birds with one stone.

The trick is is that I am a student now, but I will be in the Navy within the year. And right now I have my desktop for all my gaming needs, and an iPad for the mobility, but I will need something that does both. I also plan on traveling a lot between now and then as well, though I don't know if I will want to bring a $1500 piece of equipment with me on that.

But as for what games, lots of MMOs, lots of Total War (Rome 2 and Shogun 2) or Civ V, Borderlands 2, etc., etc. So potentially fairly graphics heavy games, especially since I'm used to playing with mostly maxed settings, and certainly resource intensive ones. So I definitely want a fairly powerful machine.

Okay so I don't really think you are going to have a problem buying the laptop for 1.5k-1.7K whichever route you go. If you go Sager/Clevo, MSI, ASUS, I can tell you that I know people that are happy with their purchases. If you go Sager, I can tell you that I am overall very happy with my laptop performance (except for the sound quality which I don't care about that much since I use headphones or external speakers).

I travel all over the world and stay in all types of climates which is another reason I like my Sager. I can pop a panel off the bottom to have full access to my exhaust fans. You might want to think about things like that if you going to have any kind of Shore Duty like SEABEES might. Also, I have no idea what your berthing situation will be so that is something else to think about, unless you KNOW you do not have a lot of Sea Duty. I should have mentioned the one thing I was sure was not going to be a problem for me was keeping my laptop dry, but then I don't think that is likely to be a problem for you either. However, I carry my laptop in a shockproof, water proof, posture while in in a backpack designed for small fixed wing air travel and mountaineering. Have you at least narrowed down a site to purchase from or are you trying to figure you which manufacturer to go with first? This may sound counter intuitive but I would encourage you to get a custom built rig from a multi-manufacturer vendor.

I probably should have just edited my last post and added this in but......

Get an SSD and Windows 7 - you can thank me later image Seriously, though - I just do not like Win8 (and I think it is a given you are not going Apple/Mac b/c you have not referenced it) so up to you but the SSD is more than worth it, especially now that the prices are falling on them. Also, I use a tablet for flights and such. I only pull out my laptop for major work or gaming. I NEVER rely on battery power for any laptop.

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

Sager is always a good choice. They used to make most of Dell's laptops. Not sure if they still do but their engineers are top notch.

I wish they made AMD Laptops. Sadly I will never own a Sager.

Originally posted by grndzro

Sager is always a good choice. They used to make most of Dell's laptops. Not sure if they still do but their engineers are top notch.

I wish they made AMD Laptops. Sadly I will never own a Sager.

This is a very good point, OP do you have an attachment to AMD or INTEL?

• DarkHighDarkHigh Member UncommonPosts: 157

Lenovo y510p. 

Originally posted by darkhigh

Lenovo y510p. 

OP - here is a review for the y510p: http://www.notebookreview.com/notebookreview/lenovo-ideapad-y510p-review/

Yeah the Y510p is really well-reviewed. They're also having a rather impressive sale on them at the moment, though I doubt I'll make this big of a decision within the week. That said, I really wish I could avoid Win 8, and I don't see how with a prebuilt machine.

I'll think about Sager though. (Their site could really use some work. Figuring out what's what and why one thing is $X00 more or less is a pain.) 

I'm pretty attached to Intel.

Yeah the Y510p is really well-reviewed. They're also having a rather impressive sale on them at the moment, though I doubt I'll make this big of a decision within the week. That said, I really wish I could avoid Win 8, and I don't see how with a prebuilt machine.

I'll think about Sager though. (Their site could really use some work. Figuring out what's what and why one thing is $X00 more or less is a pain.) 

I'm pretty attached to Intel.

I think it violates TOS for me to list custom gaming laptop URLs ..maybe(advertising)? Not sure, but if you Google custom gaming laptops you will get a bunch of options and maybe you can still get a Win7 license that way. If not maybe the Navy version of an IMO or DOIM can hook you up with MS Home Use Program copy or the BX/PX? Also, all custom sites I got quotes from on mine had Student and Military discounts.

EDIT - Adding b/c I was not clear, now I know I am sleepy! Anyway, a lot of custom shops will order your Sager for you w/o you going directly Sager. Yes, I agree their site is not fun to navigate but I will say the couple of times I have called them they have been quick to help me. Example, one of the rubber foot pads came off. I called, they shipped me 8 for free lol.

The one big downside to Sager that I'm seeing is that they're a lot heavier on average. The GS60 is 2.5 lbs lighter than a similar custom built computer, though it is $200 more and has Win 8.1. Another thing I noticed is that Sager advertises the GTX 860M as having 4GB VRAM while MSI lists it as 2 GB. What gives? Is it just a weaker version for less bulk or something? Lenovo's Y50 also lists it as 4 GB. Weird.

Speaking of which the Y50 seems really nice.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383

From experience:

Don't buy a computer now thinking your going to be able to use it in the Navy. You will have so little free time and/or storage space for a good while going in. It could be several months and maybe years depending on your training path, before you have enough time to use and space to store even a laptop.

By the time your actually in a situation to use it, it'll be years obsolete and you'll be looking for something new anyway.

Stick with your iPad/tablet for now. Make due with the desktop in school, throw it in storage or sell it once you go in the service - then buy something new once your settled down, finished training and qualified at your first duty station.

• PanzerbasePanzerbase Member Posts: 423
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

From experience:

Don't buy a computer now thinking your going to be able to use it in the Navy. You will have so little free time and/or storage space for a good while going in. It could be several months and maybe years depending on your training path, before you have enough time to use and space to store even a laptop.

By the time your actually in a situation to use it, it'll be years obsolete and you'll be looking for something new anyway.

Stick with your iPad/tablet for now. Make due with the desktop in school, throw it in storage or sell it once you go in the service - then buy something new once your settled down, finished training and qualified at your first duty station.

That's good advice, wait until you wrap up the basic and the advanced school or the combined version. I'd start sniffing around again once you learn where your first duty assignment will be. 

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

For the Navy I would suggest buying a fairly rugged tablet. You can put notes on it and it could help you study, Browse the web.

A Tablet and a PS4. And a decent 24 inch monitor. And a small suitcase that can fit all that in it.

Pack it all in with a few towels to avoid damage. There are some pretty good sturdy suitcases that will protect it all.

If you are on a ship you can use the PS4 to bribe goodies from people :)

Originally posted by Ridelynn

From experience:

Sound advice. Thanks.

• CopypasterinoCopypasterino Member Posts: 66

I really waiting for new maxell CGU to come at the end of the year or next year.

Currently have a Alienware M14x and it starts to blow in demanding games.

• NegativeJoeNegativeJoe Member UncommonPosts: 213

in that price range nothing beats the sager 8278-s which is a 17"
    they have similar 15" models but i think you might have to customize it to get what the 8278 has (16 RAM, 870, SSD)
    i don't really know the difference because i didn't look at 15". i love me bigger screens and im not doing jumping jacks with the laptop , im putting it in a shoulder bag and carrying it from my car into work or the house.. and im not a 98 lb woman. finding a bag that fits it wasn't a breeze though.

::::26:: ::::26:: ::::26::