Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] WildStar: 5 Reasons You Should Play WildStar

Comments

• HoochlerHoochler Member UncommonPosts: 12

Nine reasons to never touch another NCSoft again...

1. City of Heroes killed by NCSoft 30NOV12.

2. Tabula Rasa killed by NCSoft 28FEB09.

3. Auto Assault killed by NCSoft 31AUG07.

4. Dungeon Runners killed by NCSoft 1JAN10.

5. Dragonica killed by NCSoft 13JUL11.

6. Exteel killed by NCSoft 1SEP10.

7. Point Blank killed by NCSoft 13JUL11.

8. Lineage (NA) killed by NCSoft 29JUN11.

9. Trickster killed by NCSoft 27FEB13.

If you like to play a game, invest your time, money and energy into it and really start to like it only to have a company that does NOT have your best interests in mind pull the plug when they feel like it, by all means get sucked into any NCSoft game and enjoy their brand of "fun".

• jshrmstrngjshrmstrng Member UncommonPosts: 13
    5 reasons why we should not play Wildstar are given below :-

1. We can play ArcheAge which is far superior in quality and a lot more fun.

2. We can play ArcheAge which is far superior in quality and a lot more fun.

3. We can play ArcheAge which is far superior in quality and a lot more fun.

4. We can play ArcheAge which is far superior in quality and a lot more fun.

5. We can play ArcheAge which is far superior in quality and a lot more fun.

There. End of discussion.

**FTFY

• HexamusHexamus Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Some will hate it. Some will love it. Generally, I see no more reason to play WoW, ESO was a letdown. Wildstar seems to be the only interesting MMORPG coming though I still have my eye on Archage. 
  • MasterDCTMasterDCT Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Everything is cool but the combat system is mehhh so I'm passing it
  • JeminaiJeminai Member UncommonPosts: 151
    not a wow clone visually... well... the closest thing out there in my opinion.
    I've heard this argument about a cartoon style not ageing and remaining fresh. tell that to any one with a looney tunes character tattoo.
    I guess I'm not buying into the hype, so far nothing sounds all that groundbreaking... if this thing pummels wow it's BECAUSE of the similarities. fresh content for a bit... only thing about humor in a game is it's funny once.
    everything else in MMOs denotes repetitivity.
    nice to have a glossy different race being entertained by the same humor over and over.
    so that's MY personal take on wildstar which has failed to gain my interest.

my issue is with the hype of any game. there's no place for opinions really.. it's all a matter of taste. I don't buy music because the radio told me to either. ( I wonder if "official reviews" are steered financially)..
    remember what other launches are like and read between the lines of the "critics".
    every game that boasts "new", "groundbreaking", "original" etc. cops just as much flak for being different as a clone or reskin. limited attention spans abound and if you don't snare them quick players carve a games epiatath on launch day. no game will ever be perfect. no game appeals to all.
    again, it's a matter of taste and reviews and comparisons are wholly individual perspectives. and can't decide for you what you may or may not consider entertaining.
  • loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    well i agree but the unique style and personality, although they are enjoying, but for little time. I  wouldnt be able to spend lot of time in a cartoon.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

Khm.

A the end will put my short compilation of cons and pros for WS, but before would like to answer to 1-5.

For sure however I can say in 3 days of gameplay in BETA of WS I have rarely played any game so bug free but AFTER  1 year or so. In this 3 days no single bug, no single crash (ok, 1, but I can blame that on another program running in background). As said with many other games one can hope to have such experience after year or so.

“5) Unique Style and Personality

It’s no secret that most MMO’s nowadays are the same exact game, remade over and over with “

Saying this is like to say all cars in the world are exactly the same, remade over and over ... all have 4 wheels, .... etc.

Playing for long, most intensely however MMO’s last aprox. 9 years. Have not encountered a single game that would fit 5).

With few minor details WS is no different from ANY other, being Aoc, Wildhammer, TSW, ...

“4) Housing”

Ok, WS have housing since day 1. However housing is for me nor game making nor game breaking feature.

“3) Player Customization”

Again, nothing special.

“2) Action Combat Mechanics”

Well, best so far for me action combat and fast paced is of Gw2. Otherwise Wow is still much more fun and complex. You can put all 20 spells on toolbars and all have use at this or another time or encounter.

About WS ... all that teletargeting ads a  lot of confusion. And besides at least up to lv. 10 game  is so silly easy that one fast discover there is no reason to dodge at all. Just stay in place and mash buttons. No risk to die at all, not even with 4 mobs pulled to much with insane aoe spells. Spellslinger excel in this.

“1) Smart Subscription Model”

WS really does not gives expression here to be something “special”. Most from money I think players still get from Gw2. With this rare exception, I never play “free” games. If there is mixed system, I will 100% sub or not play at all. If game is good is worth subbing, if it is not, I will spent better my free time.

And now my cons and pros list:

PRO

• no forced use for WASD, using mouse

• fun, humor

• very fluid movement

• controls responding as expected, very well

• client loading very fast

• no single bug or crash in 3 last beta days

• only game so far where i.e. river is driving you in direction of water flow ... amazing! Must constantly battle water flow. :-)

CONS

• only 1 (ONE!) toolbar with 8 active keys; if I will stop to play I’m already sure this will be for this problem because problem it is; usually this spells button mashing, especially as abilities starts to pile up; always hated when game enforces me to “select” only some spells out of zillion; leave that to PLAYER!, if somebody likes can play game with single spell and any game but if i wish to have 2 or 3 toolbars full of abilities that is MY problem

even on that single toolbar keys are unlocked with leveling so up to i.e. lv. 8 you will have 5 unlocked, at lv. 1 only single; I always in any game have “spam” spell on button 5 and hate being forced move that to key 1 or 2; want to have healing spells on other toolbar and usually main 2 linked to F4 and F5, ... etc .... whole toolbar(s) should be unlocked since level 1 even if single spell available at start; fortunately is possible to move spells to any already unlocked button, lessening somewhat this problem

• all in all only 2 starting areas (ok, guess nothing to do, 2 space ships - one for each faction - just closed on planet), but more landing zones;

• logout should be immediate if in safe area (or is not just in beta as advertisement is displayed while logging out)

• strange selection of body types (i.e. muscular get’s also pretty tick waist)

• really hope 6 alts limit is for beta only! In Wow they are getting a lot of sub money from me being able to play 22 alts, 11 for alliance and 11 for horde on which I’m working now to have full maxed out set; I’m altholic and want to play all possible combinations

JUST NOTE

• graphics and style somehow reminds me CO (just noted, is not for bad or for good)

• onemanwolfonemanwolf Member Posts: 20
    Lol you can wait 13 months for new content and pay 15 dollar a month to pay for server maintenance  I have fun in LFR with all of the other loser. 
    Lol you can wait 13 months for new content and pay 15 dollar a month to pay for server maintenance  I have fun in LFR with all of the other loser. 

5 reasons to play WIldstar :

1. Its fun

2. Hoverboard

3. Movement

5. Hardcore awesomeness with alittle awesome sauces to spice things up.

Bilzzard is the WOW killer not Carbine!

• BuddyDudeBuddyDude Member UncommonPosts: 52

5 reasons why we write advertisements disguised as articles. 

• XenophilosXenophilos Member UncommonPosts: 4
    "...refrains from feeling too over the top with it's humour"?  Really>  Ignoring the bad syntax, what cereal have you been snorting?  The game has exactly the feel of a bad game show crossed with a bad talk show.
  • EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

I am starting to feel that Wildstar is a retreat for disgruntled World of Warcraft players that want to start all over again in a new mmo. However as much as I played WoW in the past, I did like when WoW would put SciFi in their game. I was always hoping for a Starcraft Online.

• Amir.EnkoAmir.Enko Member Posts: 4
    I'm going to tell you 1 reason not to play wildstar - it's god damn boring piece of crap 
  • JeminaiJeminai Member UncommonPosts: 151
    con .1
    will have the WORST in-game community to date.
  • ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Wildstar took perfect Wow receipe for success and, maybe, offers more than Wow at start. Remind me, what game released in past year offered full content with end-game testing before release? All socalled Wow clones was unfinished, lacking some features, getting those features long time after people already abandoned ship. There are some games which offered things very, very different than Wow, with new features, new generation of MMORPG and we know how they ended.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    The more I play Wildstar the more I realize it doesn't look anything like WoW. It's actually far more animated than WoW. WoW is pretty colorful but it's actually very dark and brutal in a lot of ways.

• sLY4JsLY4J Member UncommonPosts: 84

THE MMORPG community is so fickle.. A traditional MMORPG comes out and I hear "It's a tab target game... I'll pass" and now i'm hearing "The combat in Wildstar is what turns me away" which is funny because the action combat is pretty good.

I played Beta and loved it.. I think it's gonna be a great MMORPG. People might compare it to WoW, but the fact that the combat is so different, it will be different in the important aspects.

I doubt any MMORPG in the future will be groundbreaking anymore.. It's all a matter on delivering these old concepts.

• TraceOfDustMitesTraceOfDustMites Member Posts: 28
    You know it's close to launch, the "I'm never gonna play but I know it sucks" haters are out in full force.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    I feel sorry for them tbh, the vast majority are people who miss the genre but are also jaded and tired of the genre - and blame the genre for the latter. No themepark will satisfy these players, they need to face facts and accept their mmorg themepark days are over.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by TraceOfDustMites
    You know it's close to launch, the "I'm never gonna play but I know it sucks" haters are out in full force.

The game did just have an Open Beta..

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166

Played over a hundred hours in beta, and I can't wait to start it for realz.

My favorite combat system of any MMO bar none.

Releasing with a ridiculous amount of content for all sorts of player types.

Very attentive and communicative bunch of devs.

Saturday can't get here soon enough.

T

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by turinmacleod

T

I have to bring this point being said over and over again into question, how so? This would imply something like SWG... I know that's certainly not the case. Don't all of these paths essentially lead to the same exact type of "game-play" quests and combat? What other forms of "game-play" are there in wildstar? If they existed I'd assume that would have been reason number one, it wasn't.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DeathageDeathage Member CommonPosts: 146

If anything, its content types are very close to WoW. This is the first MMO to launch since WoW with pretty much all of its popular content types and perks:

Well made and polished Raids - Check

Smooth and very responsive engine - Check

Well designed and challenging dungeons with a cross server dungeon finder - Check

PVP Battlegrouns - Check

Multple bracket ranked arenas - Check

Lots of new stuff - Check

If anything, this game should be praised for being the first true "WoW clone", and not some half assed themepark missing a roll command, missing arenas, missing an engine capable of running at a high FPS with many toons onscreen, missing raids, etc etc.....its actual WoW cloneiness is what had me preorder.

Those items do not make it a wow-clone.  Those are staples of a good themepark MMORPG, but does not give it one iota of wow cloniness.

I think what he is getting at is that Carbine actually has their ducks in order, technically speaking. Solid systems in place, stress tested properly, optimized engine, etc, that lets you know that a company is serious about doing business and knows how to handle themselves.

Which I agree with. I haven't played a beta with this few bugs in it in a long time.

• turinmacleodturinmacleod Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 166
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by turinmacleod

T

I have to bring this point being said over and over again into question, how so? This would imply something like SWG... I know that's certainly not the case. Don't all of these paths essentially lead to the same exact type of "game-play" quests and combat? What other forms of "game-play" are there in wildstar? If they existed I'd assume that would have been reason number one, it wasn't.

Do you like PvP?  THere are battlegrounds, arenas and warplots.

Are you a PvE quest guy? There are quests all OVER the place, and they tell a pretty decent story from zone to zone.

Like crafting perhaps? The crafting is a lot of fun, perhaps not as deep as SWG players are used to, but much more interesting than WoW crafting.  Plus the gathering is interesting as well, with the occasional "surprise" node turning up.

Fan of housing?  The best housing in an MMO ever, at least in all the MMOs I have seen.

You're a serious raider?  The hardest raids I have yet experienced, and well worth the effort required to participate.

And there's a bunch of stuff I didn't touch on too, and all of it available on release.

I don't recall another MMO with as much or more on release.

T