Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NOT A WOW CLONE

UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

First off, anyone who knows me from these forums, knows I do not particularly like MMOs anymore.

I have a love hate relationship with WoW, I hate cartoony and cutsey tootsie graphics, and I avoided Wild Star up until the final beta, even avoiding reading anything about it.

I also despise subscriptions.

Yet, I played the final beta, open beta, and plan on subbing to Wild Star.

Here is why I love the game that has all the things I hate in it.

1) ITS FUN

2) Not a WoW clone...the character graphics are not like WoW, they are a combo of Orcs Must Die and some characters from the old "Loony Toons" "Bug Bunny" cartoons, and the only thing similar to WoW is some of the landscapes, which blow WoWs away.

3) There is a ton to do...I mean a TON and if you some how run out of things to do, just run off in any direction and you will find something!

4) PvP is so different than WoW, more complex, i.e. moodie masks and the mechanics to their spawning and when you can grab them, also dont expect anyone to speed hack across the landscape or any other type of speed buff when carrying a flag/moodie mask.

5) Zerg? What Zerg? I see the teams that win have one really goodplayer guarding the masks, while the rest of team grabs masks, its called TEAMWORK....organizationand teamwork wins.

6) Anyone who claims to have played this game and says its a WoW clone has never played it. Its fun, challenging, and can appease the casual gamer up thru hard core gamers.

7) Also it has lasting value..unlike Elder Scrolls which does offer a nice relaxing immersive game, with very interesting crafting, it still wears thin quickly. Not so with Wild Star, there is no unfun grind like parts of WoW or shallowness as in ESO.

Wild Stars only flaw is the starting areas...they do not do justice to the game and even almost scared me away from Wild Star. If you can suffer thru the starting areas, which some indeed do like, the game is totally different once you leave them and just keeps getting better and better every level. By level 15 its a totally different game in teh major cities.

Watch all the videos on the wild star site, especially War Plots #2.

Also, housing is the most awesome experience that no one can touch....

Remember..I hate MMOs, subs....but I really like Wild Star.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Might not be a WOW clone but it shares far more similarities than differences, and is clearly a standard theme park.

Nothing wrong with that if you enjoy those style games, sounds like you found one you really enjoy, but let's try to not portray it as something really different.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

I do find WS extremely similar to WoW in all it´s mechanics.

It does play like a WoW 2.0 in space...with housing

If you like that kind of game...hub questing...gear grinding & raiding....it´s ok!

ENJOY!

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

...tons of things to do?

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885

They are not only referring to the theme park design when they say that. They mean the graphics too. I do not mind the former but anyone who has played the game for awhile will realise the latter is simply untrue. 

The world design and the characters plus the setting and atmosphere is truly quite different but these superficial comparisons will continue to be made and those of us who play have to learn to ignore it. I also think that some folk cannot actually distinguish between art and graphics. They perceive an art style and clump everything together. This world has a fabulous design and idea behind some of the places and items . If you observe carefully you can see they were influenced  by movies,books and other games. It's quite a remarkable art style so colour me impressed I guess. 

OP you're wasting your breath.The people who continue to compare this to WoW will not stop and those who know the game do not need the clarification. Good effort though.

I think there are tonnes of things to do too . See you in game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJCwM1vB5Cg

For the tonnes of things to do see above video. I am not going to bother to enumerate them. If one is interested they will take the time and effort to find out otherwise it is just an attempt to sound skeptical which frankly I am not inclined to entertain.

• SethiusXSethiusX Member Posts: 171
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Might not be a WOW clone but it shares far more similarities than differences, and is clearly a standard theme park.

Nothing wrong with that if you enjoy those style games, sounds like you found one you really enjoy, but let's try to not portray it as something really different.

I agree with this completely. Wildstar is certainly designed with the same heart as WoW, and even the dev's state that they want to appeal to former WoW subscribers. It builds upon what is good about WoW (like WoW did with other games), and adds many new twists and new types of content (Warplots, extremely customizable housing, adventures).

Ultimately. it is a themepark, but it's a damn good one. It doesn't try to hide that.

For me, since WoW is currently in a ridiculous content drought, Wildstar is a great alternative for some competitive raiding and pvp.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    I disagree
  • BeastnBeastn Member UncommonPosts: 111
    Seriously who cares? I always find these threads funny...why does anyone who likes the game and plans on playing it care that it is compared to wow? I played wow for a long time and now I don't...I tried this one in beta and the first thing that popped in my head was...this is just like wow with a sorta kinda gw2 combat system...but I still pre ordered it...so what's the big deal? If you can't see how someone wouldn't see this game and immediately think wow...then your kidding yourself
  • NightfyreNightfyre Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by kitarad

OP you're wasting your breath.The people who continue to compare this to WoW will not stop and those who know the game do not need the clarification. Good effort though.

This... that should have been the OP's first thought and should always be in the mind of anyone who wants to start a rant on something.

Don't expect you'll change people's minds.  You may get them to try it, but they still will compare it to WoW because as other says it shares many similarities.  Some mechanics might be different but still has the cartoony look and level based/grind let down of WoW.

• WraithstarWraithstar Member UncommonPosts: 70
    I certainly agree with early levels not doing justice for the game. first 10-15 levels were soooo bad but once you get into dungeons and whatnot its becomes so much more. every fight is very interactive and fun. They should have had a dungeon system like WoW and rift where you could pretty much level to max just from doing dungeons. From what ive heard the best way to level is to grind high XP mobs with friends
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

There is no such thing as WoW clones...this games plays very different from WoW... yet there are also a lot of simmiliarities as both remain themepark MMo´s....

On top of that the developers use the same formula that made WoW a success based on the orriginal EQ, the formula,  - -

- Remove and replace the things not fun

- Improve the things that are fun

- Keep the basics that work well in other games

- Add some new inovative stuff

Basically this is what WoW did, based on theEQ experience.

And this is what Wildstar does based on WoW.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    I will say one thing if I may , I was playing the other night and when I was accepting and turning in quests , I couldn't believe how similar the sound effects are when you do so. I don't know if its a coincidence or the dev's realized that the sound effects in Wow for handing in quests / levelling up etc are part of what makes it so addictive. If so it is quite a clever move on the Wildstar dev's part to recognize some of the elements that make Wow so addictive and implement similar if not the same things into their game.
  • KaoftheRoseKaoftheRose Member UncommonPosts: 73
    Originally posted by Wraithstar
    I certainly agree with early levels not doing justice for the game. first 10-15 levels were soooo bad but once you get into dungeons and whatnot its becomes so much more. every fight is very interactive and fun. They should have had a dungeon system like WoW and rift where you could pretty much level to max just from doing dungeons. From what ive heard the best way to level is to grind high XP mobs with friends

"best way to level" lol.... no

the only best way to level is the way that is the most fun for you.

and i agree with OP. the game is not WoW.... not WoW at all. there -is- loads of stuff to do, and the game is trying to be different.

[mod edit]

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885

That is not news  many people already knew the art design is reminiscent as the artist is the same but you confuse art style with design. The color palette is also similar but the crazy cartoon is really something you either like or despise .There is no middle ground. People instinctively either like or dislike it. 

Not to worry those of you who like the art style or look past it can enjoy the game. No point calling it names though it just does not make the art any less artistic or bad just different. One must learn to embrace cartoons and anime. Lovely mediums.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

SCNR ;)

Hodor!

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I'm glad you found a game you enjoy.  For me, I stopped playing in beta as it felt exactly like WoW to me.  To each his own I guess.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• mmorpgcommentsmmorpgcomments Member Posts: 18
    AGREED! This is defiantely not a wow clone, it is a allods online clone. In comparison allods online offers tons of more things to do then wow. I think wildstar fits perfectly in this category except it had a bigger budget and is more polished. The 15 dollars a month and box price is totally worth it. They are using a next gen game engine and not using voxel's to delivery legendry vistas as far as the eye can see. It's a step up from wow in terms of gameplay and combat and delivers a more bang for your buck if your subbing for wow now. Name one person complaining about this release...you won't find one. It will be a sure hit as the best online mmo for 2014.
  • MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    Such a WoW clone 

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506

Wildstar is not a WoW clone, however on these forums if you similar enough to WoW you are a WoW clone. That also implies, on these forums, that the game is a not worth playing.

I like Wildstar, and will be playing. It is similar to WoW and that is a good thing. 

Make your own decisions, don't try and defend your game, and don't listen to the "cool kids"... that is the only way to function in the mmo universe.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

It is most certainly a WoW clone in the regards that it is your typical themepark on rails MMO.  Mechanics wise it is identical to WoW.  It does have its own twist on things just like MMO does, but it still uses the age old formula that WoW perfected.  WS might call to those that want the "hardcore" raiding of Vanilla WoW but there is a reason why Blizz went away from that and the fact that these were the elitist and the huge minority.  And this was back at WoW's peak in subs and when the market was a monopoly due to the fact that there was no quality MMO besides WoW.

WS does have some interesting features but I've become jaded with all the "promises" of past MMOs and I don't like their stance on raids.  20-man or 40 man raids are a PITA to organize and became a 2nd job in vanilla WoW, hate on Blizz all you want but they are brilliant in the regards that they made the content available to all to desire it and those that want the best of the best gear do have their challenging way of obtaining it to differentiate em from the rest.  Still Blizz could have made more effort to differentiate the gear besides just a recoloring.

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

Not sure why you bother calling it -not a wow clone.

Sure they add different features.

But at the end of the day, what makes a WoW clone bad, WS has the same feautures. A gear grind and a tread mill. We can only hope its better than other games.

The good aspect of a wow clone... well, thats the genre itself in terms of themeparks. 

So when i hear the word wow clone its either the good or bad aspects of WoW. And the bad remains the same in every themepark with different mileage.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795
    Who cares anyway? I find it a polished, full of quality content options and fun mmo, created by a very talented and experienced team. This is what matters to me and its enough to play it.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354
    I stopped reading where the OP says he hates cartoony cute graphics and yet praises the most cartoonish game out there.

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

• masterdtoxmasterdtox Member Posts: 66
    Ohh ye and WOW is a EQ clone, so we could go on for hours etc.. Kinda pointless this.
  • SethiusXSethiusX Member Posts: 171
    Originally posted by masterdtox
    Ohh ye and WOW is a EQ clone, so we could go on for hours etc.. Kinda pointless this.

Unfortunately, clone is a derogatory term used to downplay a game, and what all these themepark MMO's should be called are an iteration of the genre. 

Wildstar could have followed another template other than WoW, or it could have created a revolutionary new type of mmo, or been a sandbox mmo, or whatever. Ultimately WoW has reigned supreme for a long time, even if it is waning, and it only seems logical when money is involved to go with the tried and tested, and expand upon that. They know a lot of people enjoy the WoW/EQ formula, so why break what isn't broken? (I realize some people hate the WoW forumla, but these games know they can't please everyone).

Other companies have tried to break the mold and create something new in the mmo genre, but as of yet none have gained the mass appeal that WoW has. So if you can't beat em, join em.

I think Wildstar feels somewhat like a successor to WoW (which is a compliment from my perspective), and I don't think that is a bad thing. Clearly people still enjoy WoW (when there is new content), just based on the fact it sells like hot cakes.

I doubt Wildstar can keep people once WoD comes out, but if it gains enough steam, when Blizzard inevitably falls into their content dry periods again, people may find themselves coming to Wildstar to fill the gap.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Incomparable

Not sure why you bother calling it -not a wow clone.

Sure they add different features.

But at the end of the day, what makes a WoW clone bad, WS has the same feautures. A gear grind and a tread mill. We can only hope its better than other games.

The good aspect of a wow clone... well, thats the genre itself in terms of themeparks. 

So when i hear the word wow clone its either the good or bad aspects of WoW. And the bad remains the same in every themepark with different mileage.

"Bad" why?

I don't think people realize how superficial this term has always been, and how little it actually describes these games individually. WOW, SWTOR, ESO, AOC..etc..etc..etc.. Hardly any of these games actually play the same, hardly any share the same types of focuses so on and so forth.

IF SWTOR and ESO were really WOW clones they wouldn't share the same types of problems. Playing these two games is nothing like playing WOW, the same could be said about TSW and a few others. I still wouldn't call these games clones of each other (ESO SWTOR, TSW) as they still offer something different than the other.

The reasoning behind calling them WOW clones has always been short sighted. It's as true as calling all FPS's Doom clones.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson