Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Old Game is coming back

ikcinikcin AmberPosts: 620Member Common

See this link :

http://www.mmocast.com/lineage-2-ncsoft-open-classic-server/

At least one company realized how wrong turned the way of game development in last few years, and go back to the origin. They had the perfect PvP game, but tried to make it PvE solo playable, and failed. The real MMORPG is not about mobs, quests, story, world, it is about players.

Comments

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,537Member Uncommon

This is MMO design 101

Focus on PvP or PvE - a game CANNOT have dual focus - as you always have to compromise one to make the other work.

So pick one and do it well.

As far as "the real mmorpg" - it can be about anything - as long as it was the main design element, and was done well

• stragen001stragen001 ReadingPosts: 1,720Member
    In b4 "why cant they do this for SWG" 

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKPosts: 8,537Member Uncommon

Also in b4 "why can'd they do this for Tabula Rasa" 

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,455Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ikcin

See this link :

http://www.mmocast.com/lineage-2-ncsoft-open-classic-server/

At least one company realized how wrong turned the way of game development in last few years, and go back to the origin. They had the perfect PvP game, but tried to make it PvE solo playable, and failed. The real MMORPG is not about mobs, quests, story, world, it is about players.

I'm all for this.

Hopefully they don't incorporate too many later updates.

• delete5230delete5230 Posts: 2,960Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DMKano

Also in b4 "why can'd they do this for Tabula Rasa" 

Tabula Rasa....That brings me back, I miss it :)

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Den HelderPosts: 9,065Member Uncommon

This is MMO design 101

Focus on PvP or PvE - a game CANNOT have dual focus - as you always have to compromise one to make the other work.

As far as "the real mmorpg" - it can be about anything - as long as it was the main design element, and was done well

I highly disagree....

A PvP game can have awesome PvE too, 

A PvE game can have great instanced PvP...

I am still wayting for that one game that makes it work perfectly togeter

Much like EvE, where you travel between save areas trough a lawless area

But where each savezone is a PvE area..

True richness however can only be gained in PvP areas..

So let the PvE players unite in caravans to protect their loot on the way back home....  or just be ganked ... or leave their loot behind in a save bank in the PvE zone for later use... but unaccessible from anywhere else..  Or maybe they can hire players to protect them..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• HorusraHorusra maryland, MDPosts: 2,581Member Uncommon
    Yeah sounds like a great pve game... not.
  • CallsignVegaCallsignVega Chicago, ILPosts: 235Member Uncommon

This is MMO design 101

Funny you should say that. EQ1 PvP servers had both epic PvP and PvE. It had done it so well, it was by far the best gaming experience in the last 20 years. 

• apocolusterapocoluster newport news, VAPosts: 1,321Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by CallsignVega

This is MMO design 101

Funny you should say that. EQ1 PvP servers had both epic PvP and PvE. It had done it so well, it was by far the best gaming experience in the last 20 years. 

Dont confuse opinion for fact

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Posts: 802Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

This is MMO design 101

I highly disagree....

A PvP game can have awesome PvE too, 

A PvE game can have great instanced PvP...

I am still wayting for that one game that makes it work perfectly together

I think you answered it right there your still waiting. If you give the PVP players what they want the PVE players will not come. If you give the PVE players what they want the PVP players will not come. Your not going to make both happy unless the PVP players can live with instance pvp and or opt in pvp.

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Amherst, OHPosts: 193Member

This is MMO design 101

This is why mmo's are failing. People believe statements like this. Look at UO. UO did both well. If you only do one well don't expect the game to survive a decade.

Heaven and Hell is debatable - Karma is not.

• paulrgodpaulrgod sheffieldPosts: 238Member

Epic!!  Classic Lineage 2 is still one of my favorite MMO experiences ever....

I'll be trying this for sure! 

• ZadawnZadawn SPosts: 651Member
    Originally posted by apocoluster
    Originally posted by CallsignVega

This is MMO design 101

Dont confuse opinion for fact

And who says which is the fact? A?

• ZadawnZadawn SPosts: 651Member
    Originally posted by sacredcow4

This is MMO design 101

This is why mmo's are failing. People believe statements like this. Look at UO. UO did both well. If you only do one well don't expect the game to survive a decade.

Exactly this .

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Columbus, OHPosts: 875Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by sacredcow4

This is MMO design 101

What? No it didn't. Well okay technically you're correct, but UO didn't shine until they effectively separated the PvP from the PvE with Trammel. Until then it was just one big gankfest where the majority of people couldn't even enjoy the PvE content without fear of getting killed and chopped up by a bunch of internet psychopaths.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

• TheocritusTheocritus Gary, INPosts: 3,747Member Uncommon
    Tried L2 a few months back..The point and click movement is just horrific, a real dealbreaker.
  • alakramalakram malagaPosts: 2,223Member Uncommon
    I used to play it back then... but dont think will play it anymore.

-=AlaKraM=-
    Don't fight against poverty, fight against greed.
    My Lord of the Rings Gallery