Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

6 people killed. Media blames World of Warcraft

comicguycomicguy Member Posts: 123

Here we go again. Everytime some whack job kill someone, they blame it on Warcraft. Just like that pyscho in CT that played WoW 10 hours a day and killed 40 kids.

"Elliot Rodger played the video game "World of Warcraft," but the family never suspected he would have guns, said Astaire"

Comments

• DebateNotHateDebateNotHate Member Posts: 6
    Link?
  • betatrybetatry Member Posts: 28

so is this one of chose "wow killer" posts again ?

(pun intended)

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Source?
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Originally posted by betatry

so is this one of chose "wow killer" posts again ?

(pun intended)

HA!

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    But if they didn't blame WoW, then they might have to admit that the killings were caused by real issues. It's much more convenient to find a scapegoat and let people die than to admit that something's wrong and things would need to be changed.

• jasinyjasiny Member Posts: 9

Here is his manifesto.

Yes, he had heaps of problems.

Wow was not one of them.

"He had no affinity, it seemed, to guns whatsoever," he said.

Mr Astaire said Elliot played the video game World of Warcraft, but wasn't "obsessed with guns or war games".

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/frantic-parents-of-shooting-suspect-elliot-rodger-raced-to-isla-vista-during-rampage-20140526-zrolt.html#ixzz32oGbmcmM"He had no affinity, it seemed, to guns whatsoever," he said.

• Media makes me sad.

• BailoPan15BailoPan15 Member Posts: 410
    Originally posted by Vrika
    But if they didn't blame WoW, then they might have to admit that the killings were caused by real issues. It's much more convenient to find a scapegoat and let people die than to admit that something's wrong and things would need to be changed.

Well, the kid is too spoiled. Having money and everything he desires (except women) and still being unlucky with women does speaks for itself. He's probably a special kind of asshole that even the slutty girls avoid. 

So remember boys and girls, do not spoil your children, no matter how much you love them. Teach them the virtues of life rather than giving them everything they desire. 

Too many spoiled SoBs out there....

• HerzyHerzy Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Anime was to blame. Last I read.

-_-#
  • EightBitNinjaEightBitNinja Member UncommonPosts: 34
    I've never heard them blame WoW for it on the local news (it happened about 45 miles away).  They have been blaming the way he felt due to how sorority girls treated a "true gentleman" like him.  Remember ladies don't pick on/ignore the "nice" guys it seems.
  • GadarethGadareth Member UncommonPosts: 310

Sorry guys I am fairly certain guns are to blame.

The WOW angle was just mentioned in the article as something he played and an emphasis that he wasn't playing a "shooter" game.

• Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

If i may directly quote michael moore from facebook :)

With due respect to those who are asking me to comment on last night's tragic mass shooting at UCSB in Isla Vista, CA -- I no longer have anything to say about what is now part of normal American life. Everything I have to say about this, I said it 12 years ago: We are a people easily manipulated by fear which causes us to arm ourselves with a quarter BILLION guns in our homes that are often easily accessible to young people, burglars, the mentally ill and anyone who momentarily snaps.

We are a nation founded in violence, grew our borders through violence, and allow men in power to use violence around the world to further our so-called American (corporate) "interests." The gun, not the eagle, is our true national symbol. While other countries have more violent pasts (Germany, Japan), more guns per capita in their homes (Canada [mostly hunting guns]), and the kids in most other countries watch the same violent movies and play the same violent video games that our kids play, no one even comes close to killing as many of its own citizens on a daily basis as we do -- and yet we don't seem to want to ask ourselves this simple question: "Why us? What is it about US?"

Nearly all of our mass shootings are by angry or disturbed white males. None of them are committed by the majority gender, women. Hmmm, why is that? Even when 90% of the American public calls for stronger gun laws, Congress refuses -- and then we the people refuse to remove them from office. So the onus is on us, all of us. We won't pass the necessary laws, but more importantly we won't consider why this happens here all the time. When the NRA says, "Guns don't kill people -- people kill people," they've got it half-right. Except I would amend it to this: "Guns don't kill people -- Americans kill people." Enjoy the rest of your day, and rest assured this will all happen again very soon.

source https://www.facebook.com/mmflint/posts/10152065762191857?fref=nf

that sort of sums it up...  but in essence if it was games then we would see the same thing around the world, but nope just the US generally :)

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Strange that these killers played one of the most played games in the world.....

tough, its a fact that many people with problems try to replace the big bad evil outside world with a virtuall world to take care of their needed social interaction....   Playing MMO games is never the reason but sometimes a symptom that there is ssomething wrong..

however, most of the time MMO players are just like any other person, so its not the fact that they play, but the reason why they play thats important..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

I've been following this story closely since it first hit the news outlets, but I have yet to see anyone come out and blame his playing World of Warcraft for what he did. I'd like to see the OPs sources. He clearly states in his written manifesto/history that he was an avid WoW player, so that much is true. Also not sure if the fact that he subscribed to TYT on Youtube means anything in particular. I subscribe to a lot of things that I don't particularly agree with or believe in on Youtube and elsewhere, including TYT, various news and political sites, etc...

The only scapegoats I have seen people use are the usual suspects lately, the NRA, politicians, society (the fact that he was clearly a misogynist), etc... oh and TYT. So far the only clear blame lies with the general fact that we don't treat mental illness properly in the US and there needs to be some way for firearms dealers to discreetly screen people that are risks of that nature.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138

Actually mmos do make people worse people by exposing them to something that is an endless gear grind with little reward. It will wear out his patience trying to make his time more rewarding in a helpless situation compounded by rude online players as well. So his entitlement will start from his dissatisfaction from playing wow.

if i played wow I would be dissatisfied with my time feeling wasted. If I continued to play a game with rude players while feeling stuck in a game wasting my time I would start to become more angry and impatient. Add to the fact a persons only social experience is a video game with rude players it makes them worse to have more extreme pints of view.

notice how I say his only or major social aspect in his life. Online video games as a major source of entertainment in ones life will make them a worse person and it varies depending on the game. Such as feeling a class is always underpowered like some kind of exploit against them, so they roll an alt but find the same issue then complain to get ridiculed for being a noob by online players or game mods pretending to be players to cover up some kind of algorithm they have which makes certain people not be over powered as if to 'finish' the game. Hence the perpetual helplessness. Ever notice that everyone is amazing at Pvp? Yea, logically that is not possible.

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• VemaVema Member Posts: 16

I thought of starting a post about this...generally concerning whether, in this context, it's really so bad to be addicted to WoW or any other MMO throughout the duration of your early 20s(After all, if someone spends 6 years in college getting their 4 year degree partying and drinking every day or in a 6-year long raving MDMA haze, society would be much less critical of them than a gaming addict)

But really, this is just too depressing. It makes me feel like I've been gut-punched to even thinking about this guy and the shooting. Just way too much toxic thinking. The really painful part is that I wasn't dissimilar to that when I was his age(minus the racism/classism). It tears at me to even speculate as to whether, with a slightly different set of circumstances...uhg. 

Seriously, just find something that makes you happy. If there's something...anything...that is really bothering you, then do everything in your power to turn away from it. Otherwise it's like staring at the fucking sun. There are worse things in life than being a 20-year old, 30-year old, 40-year old, lifelong virgin. It's not worth killing or dying over.  And hell, if the kid really had such a complex about this, then he should've gone to Vegas or Pattaya or something. If I had a son who was getting all fucked up in the head over this, I'd certainly prefer him to turn to prostitutes rather than implode or explode.

Lastly, I'd caution against making any decisions regarding gun control based on isolated incidents. In a nation of 310 million people, even a tragic shooting of 26 people at an elementary school is too great of an outlier to be making sweeping policy decisions. I realize that's a cold position to take, and I don't feel comfortable taking it, but there's an extraordinary potential for abuse when you permit people to employ such rare tragedies to pick at the freedoms of hundreds of millions of law abiding citizens. Or, to put it another way, does the tragedy of 911 and the incredibly improbable possibility of in-flight violence really justify the degrading treatment by the TSA? There has to be a point at which you refuse to allow someone to point to an outlier and try to guilt you into accepting their position without present sufficiently compelling statistics. Oh, and I support the current gun culture, not because of hunting(which I consider barbaric) or self-defense(motivated by false hysterical fear), but because I believe in the original purpose of the 2nd amendment, as the ultimate check to government power. And no...I'm not talking about Obama(I voted for him twice, and am still quite proud of having done so) and I neither want nor expect a revolution to come to pass regardless of who's in power. But I think it's critically important, and an entirely healthy state of affairs, that those with power understand that it is only but for the consent of the masses that this society continues to function as it does. And on that note, that's enough of my rambling...

• angerbeaverangerbeaver Member UncommonPosts: 1,259
    It was Marilyn Mansons' fault. Obviously.
  • VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Correlation is not causation. It's as dumb as the gateway argument that cannabis leads to heroin use or the correlation between umbrellas and alzheimers. What do you think the percentage is of kids that play warcraft, double it for imaginative yet reclusive kids. I am willing to bet it's pretty bloody high, it being one of the most popular games in history it has to be a least over 50%. So there's a 50:50 chance or more that a kill crazy rampage psycho kid is going to have played it at some point. The key issue is that the police had been warned, they had interviewed him over a worrying and suggestive you tube post and he was not properly evaluated still retained access to guns. But of course, the media like easy skapegoats.           
  • VemaVema Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

its a fact that many people with problems try to replace the big bad evil outside world with a virtuall world to take care of their needed social interaction....   

This whole thing makes me think of this...

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412

People seem to want full loot, open world, hardcore sandbox PvP with good graphics and longevity. But when it happens everyone gets really angry.

Can't please anyone.

• BlocheadjBlocheadj Member Posts: 32

T/C your topic does not make sense. The media did not blame world of warcraft, in that link you sent it seemed to me like they were referring to the fact that in the past shooters have played war games and violent games,  his parents only said he "played warcraft".

Nice try.

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Originally posted by comicguy

Here we go again. Everytime some whack job kill someone, they blame it on Warcraft.

WoW or Marilyn Manson...

• jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Originally posted by Vema

I thought of starting a post about this...generally concerning whether, in this context, it's really so bad to be addicted to WoW or any other MMO throughout the duration of your early 20s(After all, if someone spends 6 years in college getting their 4 year degree partying and drinking every day or in a 6-year long raving MDMA haze, society would be much less critical of them than a gaming addict)

But really, this is just too depressing. It makes me feel like I've been gut-punched to even thinking about this guy and the shooting. Just way too much toxic thinking. The really painful part is that I wasn't dissimilar to that when I was his age(minus the racism/classism). It tears at me to even speculate as to whether, with a slightly different set of circumstances...uhg. 

Seriously, just find something that makes you happy. If there's something...anything...that is really bothering you, then do everything in your power to turn away from it. Otherwise it's like staring at the fucking sun. There are worse things in life than being a 20-year old, 30-year old, 40-year old, lifelong virgin. It's not worth killing or dying over.  And hell, if the kid really had such a complex about this, then he should've gone to Vegas or Pattaya or something. If I had a son who was getting all fucked up in the head over this, I'd certainly prefer him to turn to prostitutes rather than implode or explode.

Lastly, I'd caution against making any decisions regarding gun control based on isolated incidents. In a nation of 310 million people, even a tragic shooting of 26 people at an elementary school is too great of an outlier to be making sweeping policy decisions. I realize that's a cold position to take, and I don't feel comfortable taking it, but there's an extraordinary potential for abuse when you permit people to employ such rare tragedies to pick at the freedoms of hundreds of millions of law abiding citizens. Or, to put it another way, does the tragedy of 911 and the incredibly improbable possibility of in-flight violence really justify the degrading treatment by the TSA? There has to be a point at which you refuse to allow someone to point to an outlier and try to guilt you into accepting their position without present sufficiently compelling statistics. Oh, and I support the current gun culture, not because of hunting(which I consider barbaric) or self-defense(motivated by false hysterical fear), but because I believe in the original purpose of the 2nd amendment, as the ultimate check to government power. And no...I'm not talking about Obama(I voted for him twice, and am still quite proud of having done so) and I neither want nor expect a revolution to come to pass regardless of who's in power. But I think it's critically important, and an entirely healthy state of affairs, that those with power understand that it is only but for the consent of the masses that this society continues to function as it does. And on that note, that's enough of my rambling...

i don't mean this to sound like personal attack but i believe your a naive  ideologist. in the perfect world yes guns would save more life then they take but the ease which kids an ignorant men are able too use an abuse said guns,  far out weighs the better half of society which suffer for their liberty to get a gun. 

guns should be controlled, just like government actions should be but we keep giving both way to much freedom. am very liberal an love the freedom we have but in order too have structure an order their must be tough laws on things that can kill or hurt people.

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451

I gather the guy that did this is the son of a famous film producer . He came from a privilaged background so I wouldn't rule out the possibility that he had money enough and easy access to drugs . If thats not the case then he was certainly mentally ill and this once again brings up the question of American gun control laws .

While I'm sure gaming can have a detromental effect on certain people so can anything in life if they are predisposed to violence . If anything playing WoW may have given him a social outlet and made him feel less isolated .

The people ulimatly to blame are the sentators and congressmen who fail to pass gun control laws out of fear of the gun lobby . It seems to me gaming is an easy scapegoat that is obviously being used to detract attention from the real issue .

• greatskysgreatskys Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by Vema

If you support the current gun culture without tougher gun laws you are partly responsible of putting guns in the hands of people like this . I'm sure your opposition to them would change overnight if a loved on was killed in such an incident . You only have to look at the number of gun deaths in the USA each year to realize its a big issue and if you describe  the shooting of 26 people in an elementary school as an "outlier" then your sick in the head .

I can't believe anyone would say that .

This discussion has been closed.