Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any OP classes?

SlukjanSlukjan Member UncommonPosts: 265

I only played the game for a few hours so I'm not sure if it's balanced well or if there are OP classes.  It seemed like priests and warriors might be OP from my limited experience.  I mostly played mage.  

Thoughts?

Comments

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    I depends on who you ask.  Every class has a competing counter class that they'll scream to be nerfed.  There isn't one particular deck that stomps all others if that's what you're asking.  There are BETTER decks.. and better decks tend to be in the hands of players willing to pay for the cards.  But otherwise, it's fairly balanced.
  • RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    I've played maybe 500 games over the past few months. In my humble opinion, I would say Mage has the most potential to make me ragequit. A well played Rogue is also very strong.

Joined - July 2004

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016
    Healer was only one I struggled against in practice mode, although that maybe due to the fact I went up against her with basic core cards, all decks have potential though. Being able to attack players while creatures are in play is the only thing I don't like about the format.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Slukjan

I only played the game for a few hours so I'm not sure if it's balanced well or if there are OP classes.  It seemed like priests and warriors might be OP from my limited experience.  I mostly played mage.  

Thoughts?

Well to start,i feel their team has made some poor changes with nerfs but the team has done a really good job with balance.

So i answered the question as a definite YES it is BALANCED !!. and no there are no O/P classes.

I hope to explain a few things about this game and do not admit to being perfect with my play style or thinking during games,but i do fully understand the whole idea behind winning.

Often you hear the term META game,this is very much true.That basically means that whatever trend is current means a lot of players adjust their decks accordingly.That basically means nothing is O/P forever because when a deck becomes too strong,75% play it  and then the other 25% have decks to beat it.

Even so there is always luck of the starting draw and along the way and your decisions are CRUCIAL,one simple mistake can cost the game and i know i have lost many from one mistake.

I learned a LOT from this guys rating of cards.BTW he is kind of famous he has been a top rated player even winning with decks that are suppose to be rather weak.The reason is his FULL understanding of all cards at each cost.

TRUMP ratings.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Elevenb4Elevenb4 Member UncommonPosts: 362

I would say Rogue and Mage with their sheep and saps, etc. You've been holding onto a good card, then it gets sheeped as soon as you break it out. 

I've played around 300 games I would guess, I agree that you will definitely be ahead if you spend money on decks. However, I can put together a low budget deck and crush people as long as it's not a mage. At the same time, my higher budget Rogue deck was made to make people rage quit. Almost half my cards in that deck only serve to neutralize the opponants cards lol. 

There is some RNG also. Starting off strong can make or break a game.  A few times my first 5 or 6 cards were all 5 mana and over. I went four turns without being able to do anything, while my opponent had 5 mionions out kicking the crap out of me. That particular game didn't require any skill on his part other than just attacking while I sat there. It isn't common you run into that, but it's happened to me more than a few times. 

It's a fun game though, as long as I don't play too many games at once. I haven't noticed any OP classes to be honest. Sure I think there could be some tweaks, but even if it wasn't tweaked, I think it's good as it is. 

-Unconstitutional laws aren't laws.-

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Blizzard seem to have done a good job with the balancing - I find Warlock and Shaman the strongest (different choices from other people on this thread).

I find Warlock strong because they can keep on drawing cards, so they don't run out of options / cards towards the end of the game.

I find Shaman strong because of the unpredictable totems - those totems are good at dominating the board, and I think that's what most of this game is about. However, the totems are unpredictable, so there is a bit more chance involved.

I think mages seem strong, because this is the deck you start with, and people feel comfortable with what they have most experience of.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Each deck has the potential OP with some specific cards.

- Hunters are annoying overall apart of arena because of the great synergy with beasts, traps and call of the hound combos.

- Mages are one of the most annoying and can be very OP usually vs good people you will see them stalling your creatures and saving cards. That means they are saving their fireballs and/or pyroblasts to kill you without needing creatures. (Ps The class with the most damaging spells also has secrets to stop enemy spells from being cast)

- Priests will make you tear your hair off unless you have a lot of 4 attack creatures (Their only weakness) else they can do buffs with high hp creatures to turn their attack same as their hp which usually means instant loss. They also have cheap removals, heals, sliences (0 cost!!) and of course mind control the most rage inducing card of all BUT there's more! They also have creatures that can take creatures from your side and an other spell that takes control of 1 creature for that turn only.

Plus I almost forgot they also have the ability to take copies from your deck/hand too!

- Shamans beware of shamans, if you see them stacking cards that could mean they are going to do a x2 rock biter + windfury combo (rock biter = +3 attack for that turn, windfury = attack twice) Never let them have many creatures as they also have a spell that gives all friendly creatures +3 attack for the turn.

- Paladin I find these have the least viable OP decks in my opinion BUT that doesn't mean they don't have any. They have good buffs that can make creatures from weak into dangerous, divine shield makes them immune from damage once and plenty of good endgame spell cards.

- Warlock they have a ton of combos thanks to their power of drawing cards. There's the most popular murlock decks which are annoying but doable if you know what to do, giants deck which can be very dangerous and there's the demon deck which while they have weaknesses they compansate it with high attack.

- Druid the least class used in my opinion. Their spells are quite highish in cost but they have a spell that costs 0 to gain 2 additional mana for this turn or spells to increase your mana crystals permanently. They have high damaging taunts and are the only class I believe with creatures and spells that have a choice of 2 things to do. (For example do 5 damage on one creature or 2 on all, summon a 3/2 creature or give all friendly creatures +1/+1 etc etc)

- Warrior after being nerfed they aren't seen much.

I myself like them and play an enrage charge deck combo but they can be hard to play since they don't have much removals and no good aoe so I don't know what to say on this, just beware of one specific creature (Well there's more but this one is the top) if you see a 2/3 creature that has text written that it gives charge to other minions DESTROY IT or it's pain for you.

That's it I think.

• IylzIylz Member Posts: 107

There really isn't any OP class although many might try to make claims.

Priest is probably the least successful deck yet there are a few people who manage to be on top of the rankings using them. The game is actually fairly balanced. You may get frustrated at the start of this game getting pummeled by people with a more extensive repertoire of cards, but that is just par for the course. 

The meta also shifts a lot as you move through ranks. Rank 25-15 you will see a lot of rush/aggro decks, 15+ you will start to see more mid-range/control decks with quite a few rush/aggro decks in the mix. Once you get into legend you will see considerably less rush/aggro and quite a bit more control decks and you will start to see more deck variations. 

Learning all the cards in the game and their synergies with other cards is your goal, play all the classes to at least get all their basic cards and learn them a bit. 

Don't get frustrated if you get knocked out in turn 4 by a UtH Hunter or Warlock Murloc, the game does have the element of luck and sometimes you will just get a bad draw nd someone will draw from the gods and wipe you quick, happens to everyone, even the pros. If you have trouble making decks you can always netdeck Trumps, Reynads, or Tidesoftime; I started out using their decks with a measure of success before I started making my own. 

• IylzIylz Member Posts: 107
    Originally posted by Bloodaxes

- Hunters are annoying overall apart of arena because of the great synergy with beasts, traps and call of the hound combos.

- Mages are one of the most annoying and can be very OP usually vs good people you will see them stalling your creatures and saving cards. That means they are saving their fireballs and/or pyroblasts to kill you without needing creatures. (Ps The class with the most damaging spells also has secrets to stop enemy spells from being cast)

- Priests will make you tear your hair off unless you have a lot of 4 attack creatures (Their only weakness) else they can do buffs with high hp creatures to turn their attack same as their hp which usually means instant loss. They also have cheap removals, heals, sliences (0 cost!!) and of course mind control the most rage inducing card of all BUT there's more! They also have creatures that can take creatures from your side and an other spell that takes control of 1 creature for that turn only.

Plus I almost forgot they also have the ability to take copies from your deck/hand too!

- Shamans beware of shamans, if you see them stacking cards that could mean they are going to do a x2 rock biter + windfury combo (rock biter = +3 attack for that turn, windfury = attack twice) Never let them have many creatures as they also have a spell that gives all friendly creatures +3 attack for the turn.

- Paladin I find these have the least viable OP decks in my opinion BUT that doesn't mean they don't have any. They have good buffs that can make creatures from weak into dangerous, divine shield makes them immune from damage once and plenty of good endgame spell cards.

- Warlock they have a ton of combos thanks to their power of drawing cards. There's the most popular murlock decks which are annoying but doable if you know what to do, giants deck which can be very dangerous and there's the demon deck which while they have weaknesses they compansate it with high attack.

- Druid the least class used in my opinion. Their spells are quite highish in cost but they have a spell that costs 0 to gain 2 additional mana for this turn or spells to increase your mana crystals permanently. They have high damaging taunts and are the only class I believe with creatures and spells that have a choice of 2 things to do. (For example do 5 damage on one creature or 2 on all, summon a 3/2 creature or give all friendly creatures +1/+1 etc etc)

I myself like them and play an enrage charge deck combo but they can be hard to play since they don't have much removals and no good aoe so I don't know what to say on this, just beware of one specific creature (Well there's more but this one is the top) if you see a 2/3 creature that has text written that it gives charge to other minions DESTROY IT or it's pain for you.

That's it I think.

This guy doesn't know what he is talking about, btw. Control Warriors are probably one of the most played classes, Watcher/Token druids are played quite a bit as well, Shamans are extremely, not effective, unless you really know how to play the class, Mages are hit or miss as well depending on who is playing them, Warlock are the most popular class and people mainly play Handlock (Giant) or Zoo (aggro) you might see a murloc deck here and there, and the only thing he may have said that was true is that Paladins sort of blow right now. Hunters are used quite a bit due to unleash the hounds and how cheap the decks can be made and Rogues depending on the person again can be devastating.

Well he wanted to know op class not what people used else I would have told him to wait for legendaries or buy packs with monies as there are some too good to not have cards like bloodhoof vs priest.

And I stand by what I said I rarely see warriors and druids usually always damn mages, priests, hunters and the occasional warlocks. 

Maybe I'm not at the highest rank in ranked duels like you but there was no misinformation from my end as I stated what each hero has that can make it good essentially stating that there isn't 1 OP class as all have their respective cards that can make them so.

(As for shamans try doing the combo I said with the 7/5 stealth or any stealth creature ;) )

I've changed my mind!

Despite some classes being slightly better than others, there is no substitute for skill - the advantages of certain classes is not as important as skill. In addition, the luck of card draw is overcome by player skill in the long-run.

I think Mage has the upper hand slightly for Arena because this class has the greatest number of tide-changing cards. For example, the common card 'sheep' can totally bugger up an attack.

I think Paladin is slightly best for standard compiled play because you can make some amazing combinations. The class ability to generate a 1/1 trooper works very well with the class specific cards. However, because this class relies more on combinations, I think it's not so good for Arena.

• Yoottos'HorgYoottos'Horg Member UncommonPosts: 297

I favor the Paladin. On more than one occasion the person I was playing against left my 1/1 summon minion on the deck only to have me throw 2x blessing of kings on him along with 1/2 taunt to draw the aggro. It's sometimes difficult to come back from an 8 hit minion if he has other aggros cards pulling the players attention. Granted that's thrown all to hell with a simple sheep...

On the other hand I was absolutely destroyed by a Hunter who favored secrets and weapons. I was destroyed in 5 or so turns. Just bad luck and inexperience on my part. Ugh that was an ugly match...

• CreatorzimCreatorzim Member UncommonPosts: 274
    I think the Warlock has a way OP card. Its the one that lets you transform into a demon and start summoning 6/6 demons for 2 mana.

Originally posted by Creatorzim
    I think the Warlock has a way OP card. Its the one that lets you transform into a demon and start summoning 6/6 demons for 2 mana.

I think my Priest is overpowered. 

It's a credit to the developers that so many classes think they are the best!

Yes it's soooooo OP....

You waste a turn unless you have summoning portal on the field and your hero has 15 health not 30. If you were losing prior to that it will only make you last a little longer.

A 9 cost legendary not common mind you is late game and you will have or should have creatures on the board with decent to high attacking power.

The class legendary are grommash from warrior which is a beast, the paladin legendary is a great taunt with divine shield and if it dies you get a weapon, the priest legendary is insane and you shouldn't let it live more than one turn ,the rouge legendary is a beast if you can combo a lot of cards, shaman legendary is soso, warlock legendary very situational, mage if you let their legendary stay on the field you are dead (Most stupid ability ever), hunter legendary is one of the worse and druid legendary is great too.

Best legendaries are neutral.

Yes it's soooooo OP....

You waste a turn unless you have summoning portal on the field and your hero has 15 health not 30. If you were losing prior to that it will only make you last a little longer.

A 9 cost legendary not common mind you is late game and you will have or should have creatures on the board with decent to high attacking power.

The class legendary are grommash from warrior which is a beast, the paladin legendary is a great taunt with divine shield and if it dies you get a weapon, the priest legendary is insane and you shouldn't let it live more than one turn ,the rouge legendary is a beast if you can combo a lot of cards, shaman legendary is soso, warlock legendary very situational, mage if you let their legendary stay on the field you are dead (Most stupid ability ever), hunter legendary is one of the worse and druid legendary is great too.

Best legendaries are neutral.

I agree with you that the neutral legendaries are the best. I like them because you can do your dailies with them and you are not restricted by class.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    As far as a OP class goes. If you play ranked, 1 out of 3 opponents past rank 13 are hunters. Past rank 10 1 out of 2 are hunters. That should give you a idea of what class is favored during the current meta. I play shaman. Have not seen past r5 yet. But still have about half a month left.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

I'm going to say that for arena purposes, paladin is the strongest and warrior is the weakest.  I've had an arena run get to 7 wins with every class except warrior and warlock, and not having a good run as a warlock felt more like a fluke than a generally bad class.

But I've only has two runs that got to 9 wins, and both were with paladin--even though I've only had four arena runs with paladin out of 31 total.  Those two runs ended up being 12-1 and 12-0, and in the just completed 12-0 run, I noted that a lot of my opponents toward the end (when the game is throwing the elite opponents at you because you've got 7+ wins) were also paladins.

Then again, my only 0-3 run was also paladin.

For what it's worth, in my 12-0 run, 2x mind control tech was the key cards that swung a bunch of close matches in my favor.  I only had one card that cost more than 5 mana, and that was a guardian of kings.  But a strategy of letting the other player build up minions and then stealing them won some really drawn-out games for me--including one where both players took a bunch of fatigue damage at the end and only one card wasn't played.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

I enjoy playing the priest the most, but my color is usually white in TCG's. Currently I would say that paladin is the strongest deck in that they tend to be the hardest to beat - but predictable with druid being the most flexible in that there decks are hard to predict. 

Anyway. I may be mistaken, but I was under the impression that one of the strengths of this game being online is that deck rankings and cards will be changes all the time to keep things fresh.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

We can now add an O/P class to which there were none because of Hunter.Now that Hunter has been severely nerfed  Rogue has very little competition except maybe Zoo or a very lucky Druid.Basically if Rogue gets his Gadgetzan by turn 4/5 the deck becomes powerful.Hunter needed tw ocards UTH AND Buzzard to have an effect close to the same but never as good unless some opponent wanted to load 5/6 minions on the board,that would be the opponents fault not the cards.

I don't get all angry when i lose but i was a little perplexed when i had a 28-1 lead on a Rogue and lost in one turn.No other class can swing for 28 charge damage in one turn,so yes it is OP,especially since aside from Warrior and perhaps a bit of Druid you can't go past 30 health.So 28 dmg out of 30p health is as close to an instant win as you can get.

Now i did get unlucky and not draw one single taunt which is unheard of for a Druid but still with a 28-1 lead i would expect to win the next turn for certain.

Btw the swing is Leeroy>Prep>Eviscerate>Prep>Eviscerate>Cold Blood>Cold Blood for a 14 Leeroy plus 8 dmg already done all for only 6 mana.Then he Shadowsteps and hits me again for 6 more adding up to 28 Charge dmg one turn.If he needed and had another Shadowstep he could have hit again for another 6 equaling 34 damage.

Now it is not easy to sit patient and wait for those exact cards and they might never come but with all the low cost spells all they need is a Gadgetzan somewhere along the way and they often draw out their entire deck.

Other classes are struggling to draw out their deck using various means like Cleric or Acolyte  or Buzzard.Funny Blizzard deemed UTH a nerf worthy card yet i have never seen it draw out as many cards as a Gadgetzan does on one turn and "consistently".More importantly is he can draw out even more 0-1 cost cards allowing the draws to continue.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Originally posted by Iylz

That's it I think.

This guy doesn't know what he is talking about, btw. Control Warriors are probably one of the most played classes, Watcher/Token druids are played quite a bit as well, Shamans are extremely, not effective, unless you really know how to play the class, Mages are hit or miss as well depending on who is playing them, Warlock are the most popular class and people mainly play Handlock (Giant) or Zoo (aggro) you might see a murloc deck here and there, and the only thing he may have said that was true is that Paladins sort of blow right now. Hunters are used quite a bit due to unleash the hounds and how cheap the decks can be made and Rogues depending on the person again can be devastating.

This ^

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

At the top there are really only 3 types you face, these are your steady decks.  You might find a few miracle rogues or ramp druids if they get lucky with the RNG.  Almost all 10+ are Hunters, Handlock, or Mage.  I'm surprised Hunter hasn't been nerfed to hell and back.  I've been a Hunter for awhile, it's my mainstay. You can counter most things with the synergy of your deck, and even if people don't play more than 3 minions, your other synergies will wear them out.

Really any hero can beat any other hero, about 75% of the game is purely based on what cards you draw.  the other 25% is whether you're a hunter lol.

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

That's it I think.

Hey, thank you for this post.  Very informative.  I appreciated all the info for sure, even if other players didn't agree with it all.

No bitchers.

• BrokenSilenceBrokenSilence Member UncommonPosts: 321

Originally posted by Bloodaxes Each deck has the potential OP with some specific cards. - Hunters are annoying overall apart of arena because of the great synergy with beasts, traps and call of the hound combos. - Mages are one of the most annoying and can be very OP usually vs good people you will see them stalling your creatures and saving cards. That means they are saving their fireballs and/or pyroblasts to kill you without needing creatures. (Ps The class with the most damaging spells also has secrets to stop enemy spells from being cast) - Priests will make you tear your hair off unless you have a lot of 4 attack creatures (Their only weakness) else they can do buffs with high hp creatures to turn their attack same as their hp which usually means instant loss. They also have cheap removals, heals, sliences (0 cost!!) and of course mind control the most rage inducing card of all BUT there's more! They also have creatures that can take creatures from your side and an other spell that takes control of 1 creature for that turn only. Plus I almost forgot they also have the ability to take copies from your deck/hand too! - Shamans beware of shamans, if you see them stacking cards that could mean they are going to do a x2 rock biter + windfury combo (rock biter = +3 attack for that turn, windfury = attack twice) Never let them have many creatures as they also have a spell that gives all friendly creatures +3 attack for the turn. - Paladin I find these have the least viable OP decks in my opinion BUT that doesn't mean they don't have any. They have good buffs that can make creatures from weak into dangerous, divine shield makes them immune from damage once and plenty of good endgame spell cards. - Warlock they have a ton of combos thanks to their power of drawing cards. There's the most popular murlock decks which are annoying but doable if you know what to do, giants deck which can be very dangerous and there's the demon deck which while they have weaknesses they compansate it with high attack. - Druid the least class used in my opinion. Their spells are quite highish in cost but they have a spell that costs 0 to gain 2 additional mana for this turn or spells to increase your mana crystals permanently. They have high damaging taunts and are the only class I believe with creatures and spells that have a choice of 2 things to do. (For example do 5 damage on one creature or 2 on all, summon a 3/2 creature or give all friendly creatures +1/+1 etc etc) - Warrior after being nerfed they aren't seen much. I myself like them and play an enrage charge deck combo but they can be hard to play since they don't have much removals and no good aoe so I don't know what to say on this, just beware of one specific creature (Well there's more but this one is the top) if you see a 2/3 creature that has text written that it gives charge to other minions DESTROY IT or it's pain for you. That's it I think.    

TBH I don't think either of you have gotten up high in the rankings or arena. You stating the other person doesn't know what he's talking about is funny as hell cause they seem to know more than you LOL, which is really funny. Don't get me wrong you stated some things that are correct like Zoo decks and Giants but still, you made some statement that I just smh at. I'm not sure who you are playing but I'm guessing it's rank 25-18 maybe...18, might be rank 25-20 lol.

Murlock decks.. I haven't seen one of those in a long time. Shamans mainly play overload.. I could keep going on all the classes and even give details but I'm not going to. I guess what it comes down to where your ranking is.

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by Chaoticwake

Originally posted by Bloodaxes Each deck has the potential OP with some specific cards. - Hunters are annoying overall apart of arena because of the great synergy with beasts, traps and call of the hound combos. - Mages are one of the most annoying and can be very OP usually vs good people you will see them stalling your creatures and saving cards. That means they are saving their fireballs and/or pyroblasts to kill you without needing creatures. (Ps The class with the most damaging spells also has secrets to stop enemy spells from being cast) - Priests will make you tear your hair off unless you have a lot of 4 attack creatures (Their only weakness) else they can do buffs with high hp creatures to turn their attack same as their hp which usually means instant loss. They also have cheap removals, heals, sliences (0 cost!!) and of course mind control the most rage inducing card of all BUT there's more! They also have creatures that can take creatures from your side and an other spell that takes control of 1 creature for that turn only. Plus I almost forgot they also have the ability to take copies from your deck/hand too! - Shamans beware of shamans, if you see them stacking cards that could mean they are going to do a x2 rock biter + windfury combo (rock biter = +3 attack for that turn, windfury = attack twice) Never let them have many creatures as they also have a spell that gives all friendly creatures +3 attack for the turn. - Paladin I find these have the least viable OP decks in my opinion BUT that doesn't mean they don't have any. They have good buffs that can make creatures from weak into dangerous, divine shield makes them immune from damage once and plenty of good endgame spell cards. - Warlock they have a ton of combos thanks to their power of drawing cards. There's the most popular murlock decks which are annoying but doable if you know what to do, giants deck which can be very dangerous and there's the demon deck which while they have weaknesses they compansate it with high attack. - Druid the least class used in my opinion. Their spells are quite highish in cost but they have a spell that costs 0 to gain 2 additional mana for this turn or spells to increase your mana crystals permanently. They have high damaging taunts and are the only class I believe with creatures and spells that have a choice of 2 things to do. (For example do 5 damage on one creature or 2 on all, summon a 3/2 creature or give all friendly creatures +1/+1 etc etc) - Warrior after being nerfed they aren't seen much. I myself like them and play an enrage charge deck combo but they can be hard to play since they don't have much removals and no good aoe so I don't know what to say on this, just beware of one specific creature (Well there's more but this one is the top) if you see a 2/3 creature that has text written that it gives charge to other minions DESTROY IT or it's pain for you. That's it I think.    

TBH I don't think either of you have gotten up high in the rankings or arena. You stating the other person doesn't know what he's talking about is funny as hell cause they seem to know more than you LOL, which is really funny. Don't get me wrong you stated some things that are correct like Zoo decks and Giants but still, you made some statement that I just smh at. I'm not sure who you are playing but I'm guessing it's rank 25-18 maybe...18, might be rank 25-20 lol.

Murlock decks.. I haven't seen one of those in a long time. Shamans mainly play overload.. I could keep going on all the classes and even give details but I'm not going to. I guess what it comes down to where your ranking is.

I agree with Lylz. In ranks 10 or lower it is very rare for me to see a Zoolock. I usually see Handlocks, Control Warriors, or Ramp Druids. Have seen a hunter three times since the UTH nerf.

Besides I dont expect to see too many zoolock decks. As a shaman they are easily countered with Wild Pyromancer and or the spells associated with that class.