Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biggest turnoff in MMO´s

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

What does turn you of from MMO´s and makes you walk away from a game...

With me its when a game crashes to many times or has frequent disconnects...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

Lol, of course the game must be first "playable" in order to be able to play it...There are a lot of big turn offs, it's challenging to name the biggest. All I'll say when it comes to MMO's I'm far more tollerant than most around here. I can tollerate anime/cartonish graphics, 2d/3d, I can tollerate sci fi or fantasy IP's, I can tollerate tactical or action based combat. I can tollerate PvP or PvE only. I can tollerate instanced or fully open world. I can tollerate a lot. So ask this community what they can tollerate more than most out there.

• SaydienSaydien Member Posts: 266

Gameplay that is designed in a way making soloing beneficial compared to grouping. In my eyes that's simply horrible game design that takes away what I cherish in MMOs... or used to cherish in MMOs before this kinda became mainstream.

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by Saydien

Gameplay that is designed in a way making soloing beneficial compared to grouping. In my eyes that's simply horrible game design that takes away what I cherish in MMOs... or used to cherish in MMOs before this kinda became mainstream.

There is nothing wrong with a solo friendly MMO. Real life is one big multiplayer world, where players can do a lot of great things SOLO. But being forced to play the game and do things with certain individuals that are simply not available is far more harmful.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

Recently making everyone anonymous like in GW2 or ESO. I still play ESO but removing name and guild tags makes me ask why bother to call it an MMO at all?

Also, brainless quest grind i.e. blabla my daughter got lost or my crops is being ruined by vermin's. Oversimplifying game mechanics (remember, in EQ even mob pulling required special technique?), effectively killing crafting i.e. making everyone capable in everything etc etc.

Problem is MMOs should last for years in theory but they last for a month or two these days because at one point you have done all the quests and the rest is brainless grind of dailies.

As I sais I still play ESO but GW2 and ESO are good examples what to avoid in making an MMO imho.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    What does turn you of from MMO´s and makes you walk away from a game... With me its when a game crashes to many times or has frequent disconnects...

+Quests, quests quests..
    +Finding myself playing alone in a multiplayer game.. because basically nothing requires cooperation...

+"Carebarism". my last time in wow was i going around lvl 20 contested territory looking for pvp(appropriate lvled character). I kicked some ass, and they kicked mine but when that was over i thought i could repair my gear at the neutral vendor in westfall but they removed him after cata apparently..Why?

Small things that arn't "uniform" to the direction they want to take the game and therefore remove annoy me.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805
    Raids
  • fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Endgame. 

If the endgame is just raids or just pvp it pretty much kills the game for me.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I want raiders to have raids and PvPer's to have the battles and blood they crave, but the game needs more than either one of those 2 (or combination of them) to keep me entertained for the long run. Give me smaller scale adventures, epic quests, hidden lore and reasons to keep exploring. Sometimes you just don't want to raid or pvp, but you shouldn't be left with 'Roll an Alt' as your only option.

Housing and crafting also help fill this. Being able to craft furniture and housing objects and help guildies design their housing layout can be a fun break from the extremes of raiding.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Siug

Recently making everyone anonymous like in GW2 or ESO. I still play ESO but removing name and guild tags makes me ask why bother to call it an MMO at all?

Also, brainless quest grind i.e. blabla my daughter got lost or my crops is being ruined by vermin's. Oversimplifying game mechanics (remember, in EQ even mob pulling required special technique?), effectively killing crafting i.e. making everyone capable in everything etc etc.

Problem is MMOs should last for years in theory but they last for a month or two these days because at one point you have done all the quests and the rest is brainless grind of dailies.

As I sais I still play ESO but GW2 and ESO are good examples what to avoid in making an MMO imho.

I really hate that...

-Easy pulling

-No more trains, all mobs on a short leash

-no more death pennalties

Many of these things added to the community for sure

imagine what trains would have done in the ESo dungeons.. (on top of that, they would have solved botting)

But splitting up groups of mobs was an art in EQ, that most never mastered.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• OriousOrious Member UncommonPosts: 548

Anything that turns the MMO into a mini-game rather than a living/breathing alternate world.

Appealing to a player base that's different from the intended design strategy.

Terminology like "End Game" and "ease of access".

Game functions that don't make sense.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by Siug

I really hate that...

-Easy pulling

-No more trains, all mobs on a short leash

-no more death pennalties

Many of these things added to the community for sure

imagine what trains would have done in the ESo dungeons.. (on top of that, they would have solved botting)

But splitting up groups of mobs was an art in EQ, that most never mastered.

Agreed.

One of the best moments in EQ to get the heart pumping in a dungeon was when that other group went around a corner or down the other hallway - because you had no idea what sort of mess they would make. Instead you sat there in anticipation waiting for "TRAIN!" to appear in chat.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

The lack of reputation and accountability.

We used to have both and we need them back.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

For me it's greed, I really hate when you have to pay for everything, Box, sub, expansion, cashshop, server transfers etc. This is something that I really hate. 

In game then I think it would be those yellow !!!!!! over the head of a questgiver, I hate the whole concept of these quest hubs. I tryied to play Wildstar but the first thing a saw when I entered the game was just that and then force me to run around and do stuff just to get to the ???????? insteed. 

I know this sounds idiotic but it's been this way for over 10 years now and I really don't want to see them ever again.

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198

Too many task or quest good or bad.

Lack of playability or bad UI.

Vertical progression/levels are a semi turnoff.

Lack of interdependcy. 

Too much junk loot and too many item upgrades.

Lack of character options for powers, classes and appearance.

• 4getting20094getting2009 Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Raid-centric, verically progressive, forced grouping, archaic and outdated design.
  • waveslayerwaveslayer Member UncommonPosts: 507
    the ppl that are trying(successfully it seems) to turn the genre into  just another form of FPS games.

Godz of War I call Thee

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    Restrictions of freedom and bottlenecking into microtransactions
  • ZadawnZadawn Member UncommonPosts: 670
    Kill X , deliver X , pass the bucket type quests. There's more but this annoys me the most. I won't even consider a game that has those anymore.

• cmorris975cmorris975 Member UncommonPosts: 207
    Most things about modern MMOs turn me off actually.  My only real option is to play Project 1999 if I want to play a challenging, fantasy themed MMORPG.  But the biggest is how easy they all are.  Very little risk = very little reward.  I bought GW2 and ESO and played them both for about ten hours total.  No more, I'm done until the industry goes back to its roots or produces something immersive and truly challenging, something that feels like an actual fantasy world.
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

ok suppose if put  'turn ons' then it would be games that dont have below in some quantity

games must have

Character 

uniqueness in characters, ie my build wont end up the same cooker cutter as every other bugger in my class.. think FF14 this was the worst game for lack of identity ive seen in an MMO in long time

Crafting / Industry

Game must have good quality industry, the days of having ore > making hammer are long gone, the game needs solid crafting back bone, can i build things that people will buy, which leads me onto

Market

Must have a good player driven market, im not happy when the items become worthless  - see FF14 again, the idea that at some point in the games future EVERY toon will have EVERY craft maxed, and thus everything becomes worthless but this leads onto

Destroyable goods

to have the 2 above, goods must have a limited lifespan, either from pvp or death by another way - if you dont lose goods then you wont need to repurchase them

Consequences

I cannot stand games that hold your hand to a point that WoW used to, for eg, if your direct trading and you gave say 1 ore too much you could petiton it and the dev would give it you back... NOOOOOOO, if you fuck up, tuff.... its your problem, now im a strong eve advocate, and sometimes even the scamming gets me, but if your rich enough and dumb enough then survival of fittest lol :)

Fast travel

Whilst sometimes it can be frustrating, fast travel from one side of world > other in 5 secs gives a game less realism, ok so it should take hours /days / weeks but definatly a suitable time, so far from what i see ArchAge have this down to a tee..

Thats it for now, im sure there are plenty of other things

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• Vaske1984Vaske1984 Member Posts: 228

For me it is the fact that game developers and designers think that some stuff is cool when actually it is a piece of useless junk and when they ignore suggestions from best testers about same.

For example, weekly reset for raids? Really? I mean ok it was fine like 15 years ago....but now the main reason i do not play WoW/LOTRO/AoC/RIFT and many other great games is beacause i do NOT want to wait a fricking week to be able to play the raid and then i "might" see item i wanted for like months just to lose it on a roll.

Or when they design crap like in GW2 with no holy trinity and then every boss is kiting and running around getting downed in 1/2 hits, or stack in 1 bugged spot where boss get stuck into the wall and then just beat the bejesus out of it. Or making Legendary weapon to be piece of junk when compared to exotic/ascended which is easy obtainable....only "legendary" thing is the grind for mats/gold to craft/buy it.

ESO was last game i bought....until i see some MAJOR improvement in mmo world i am not even gonna bother.....they just copy->paste same old junk over and over with 1 or 2 new ideas and call it new mmo, pack it, sell it and then do the epic fail in few months...

• DebateNotHateDebateNotHate Member Posts: 6
    I feel that elitism has scared me away from many enjoyable MMOs. The fact that there are people out there that solely focus on being top-notch and egotistical has pushed me away from many communities and games. A prime example is World of Warcraft; sorry for the cliche. Community is most likely my first indication if I will enjoy a game or not.
  • wangkomwangkom Member Posts: 119
    Arena / Battleground PvP
  • HachlathHachlath Member UncommonPosts: 55

Disconnections, freezes, crashes, lag, and bots = TESO.

• Vaske1984Vaske1984 Member Posts: 228
    Originally posted by Hachlath

Disconnections, freezes, crashes, lag, and bots = TESO.

Yeah that is ESO perfectly described....i hope they will fix all this stuff in few months...if not im not gonna resub.

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184
    Two words will have me dismiss any PC game: console port. Any game designed with the limits of a console in mind will compromise in user interface, control scheme and add far more loading screens than a pc game needs.