Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Solo (lol) MMORPGs shouldn't have forced group contents .

iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256

From start of game to level 20 , you solo questing .

Then at level 20 the game force you group to finish dungeon quests.

manage to get pass the level 20 dungeon after finish it 1 time and never look back

then after 10 level solo , another dungeon force player to group lol .

Then solo 10 more levels , another force group contents appear .

Then after 10 more solo levels .... after 10 more  ... after ... 10 ... after ....

Okay , i don't know why they keep this retard design around .

If the game design total for solo , then why add group contents ? It feel like sweet candy with salt at core , seriously .

If they going to make solo MMORPGs from the start , never add forced group contents.

No trading (no bots lol) , no AH , no forced group . If they want to create solo (lol) MMORPGs.

Then how they disguised they game as MMORPGs to draw the crowd ?

Simple , the town are place where players see other ,

there are chat box for players to chat with other .

Players can make party at town

And when player join party , they become weaker so the contents become harder and more challenge . And the reward are same as solo playing.

They still Massively (at town and chat box ) multiplayer (optional) online (DRM lol) role-playing game

But build total for solo with multiplayer option.

No trading = no worry about bot , no worry about cheat , no more accounts hack .

Wonderful MMORPGs (lol) , so why keep (Forced) group contents when you build your MMORPG total for solo play ?

Yes! my question is

why keep (Forced) group contents when you build your MMORPG total for solo play ?

Seriously , who want sweet candy with salt at core ?

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    The game is an attempt to create a hybrid between MMOS and single player games and the two designs clash glaringly at many times during gameplay, such as you mentioned with the infrequent dungeon content.

Same goes for the mini bosses in the open world you need to group for, and as I understand it more and more they are making the VR content more group centric than solo.

I think it would be better for titles to not try to cater to all, I'd prefer they start out as either group centric from the start, with game designs that strongly supported and encouraged grouping, or began as a solo experience with largely instanced content that was solo oriented and then stayed that way for good.

Create either a very social,good grouping game, or a well built solo experience, but stop trying cater to both, ends up creating a mediocre experience for both designs.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    I find it dumb that you're playing a solo game and then bam there is a boss or dungeon or whatever that requires grouping.   A lot of times grouping at least at lower levels is just about numbers not so much tactics.  
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,405

What I find strange is people that play massively multiplayer games yet really want to solo like it was a single player game...

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    I've never played an mmo solo. Why does it matter so much that other people have ? Is it the game that's built wrong or the people who can't make friends unless others are forced to play with them ?
    Originally posted by Asm0deus

What I find strange is people that play massively multiplayer games yet really want to solo like it was a single player game...

People thinking that MMORPG's have to have grouped combat to be social are far more of a problem then those wanting solo combat.  I guess the shallow nature of the genre leads if you group up in combat you're not being social.   Forced grouped combat is only one method of doing but many of the social experiences I had were in games you could solo combat like UO and SWG.  

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    The one thing in GW2 that pissed me off. You solo your personal story all the way to the end and the last part you have to find a group for it. So many players freaked about this and they still refuse to change it. So now no one does the personal story anymore. Its called your story and it never really is. The very last mission you have to find a group. Mmo companies are all about the money thats why they mix in every kind of gameplay in the game. And it fails most of the time.  And i will never understand mixing PVP and PVE. It just really seems stupid to me.
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Originally posted by Vermillion_Raventhal

People thinking that MMORPG's have to have grouped combat to be social are far more of a problem then those wanting solo combat.  I guess the shallow nature of the genre leads if you group up in combat you're not being social.   Forced grouped combat is only one method of doing but many of the social experiences I had were in games you could solo combat like UO and SWG.  

Also, all MMORPGs can be social.  Its the people that have changed far more than the games.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    I've never played a game that forced me to play solo our forced me to do the dungeon. If I did then it was because I wanted to. I dont know you ate taking about.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244

Yes MMORPG's should have forced group content if you can complete the whole game solo then it shouldn't be called a MMORPG its just a RPG

Guess you missed the whole there are many other ways to interact and be social argument than just grouping.
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    Playing in Craglorn in ESO reminds me of FFXI with forced grouping.  You get 24 people together and go rampant on the quests.  It's really easy with that many people, but it sure is fun to talk to others :)
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Originally posted by iixviiiix

manage to get pass the level 20 dungeon after finish it 1 time and never look back

Then after 10 more solo levels .... after 10 more  ... after ... 10 ... after ....

If the game design total for solo , then why add group contents ? It feel like sweet candy with salt at core , seriously .

If they going to make solo MMORPGs from the start , never add forced group contents.

No trading (no bots lol) , no AH , no forced group . If they want to create solo (lol) MMORPGs.

And when player join party , they become weaker so the contents become harder and more challenge . And the reward are same as solo playing.

They still Massively (at town and chat box ) multiplayer (optional) online (DRM lol) role-playing game

No trading = no worry about bot , no worry about cheat , no more accounts hack .

Wonderful MMORPGs (lol) , so why keep (Forced) group contents when you build your MMORPG total for solo play ?

Yes! my question is

why keep (Forced) group contents when you build your MMORPG total for solo play ?

You are confused. MMO were never designed for solo.

the filler content was designed for solo, since sits filler content and meaningless. That's why in most MMO, you notice the only solo parts are the leveling part of the game, and not the meaningful endgame content.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Well since most people don't get up endgame and endgame is arguable complained about more than the rest of the game we could definitely argue that the endgame is meaningless content. I definitely thinkso anyway.
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    I, personally, disagree entirely with this post. I think solo play should be a minor side feature in a group-based game, so those who can't find more than an 30 mins to 1 hour on occasion can still make SOME progression. I would never want a game that's entirely one or the other, though.
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

the filler content was designed for solo, since sits filler content and meaningless. That's why in most MMO, you notice the only solo parts are the leveling part of the game, and not the meaningful endgame content.

No, this time you are wrong. MMOs now aren't designed for solo-centric progression. At one time there was no arbitrary line defining playstyles. There was just content in the open world and you could play and progress with whatever number of players you wanted.

They were designed no differently than today, really. If you didn't group, you were cut off to parts of the game that were too hard to solo, at least at the appropriate level, gear, whatever range, but soloing was possible, though a slower form of progression.

They're pretty close in speed nowadays, though.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Yes! my question is

hmm .. there are games that don't .. like Diablo 3, and Marvel Heroes.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854

Honestly if I could find a SP with a massive world as some MMO's with fun PvE and updates every couple months I'd be done with this genre.

Yes! my question is

There are a handful of MMORPGs that have majority forced grouped combat.  There hundreds that are solo combat.  Even EQ's community was more built around slow leveling, downtime and difficult.  

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

I agree with OP and only in freedom friendly, sandbox worlds players can exceed in their specific role to do tasks that others would require to do together. In a themepark worlds where they are more directed how the player can approach them usually doesn't work that.

For instance, me being a power light jedi knight. I find a rare, random krayt dragon patrolling the deserts of Tatooine. This powerful dragon required a squad of players to tackle it, but me with my powers I could manage it solo. So as I fought with it a squad came and whoever did the most damage to the creature was worthy of its loot.

So yes, that is one example of a freedom and not a forced group content.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Originally posted by Ghavrigg

No, this time you are wrong. MMOs now aren't designed for solo-centric progression. At one time there was no arbitrary line defining playstyles. There was just content in the open world and you could play and progress with whatever number of players you wanted.

They were designed no differently than today, really. If you didn't group, you were cut off to parts of the game that were too hard to solo, at least at the appropriate level, gear, whatever range, but soloing was possible, though a slower form of progression.

That's the problem.  While grouping shouldn't be an insta-accelerate button for leveling or grinding rep/honor/what have you, it's potential should be much higher than the solo progression's potential.  It's not.  ESO is probably the worst culprit I've seen of this: doing a rather challenging, instanced group dungeon (including the quest turn-in for completion) was literally the worst way to level.  It also provided very, very little in the way of monetary or loot rewards.  It was, overall, a complete waste of time to build that group and complete that dungeon.  That's just silly.

Grouping should be the fastest method of leveling/grinding in the game when done effectively, period.  To provide a solo option that competes with having a good group is doing a disservice to what it originally meant to be an MMO, in my opinion.  It may look good on the box sales initially to have such a design in place, but it won't really last or make a permanent imprint on the field.

Originally posted by MadFrenchie
    Originally posted by Ghavrigg

That's the problem.  While grouping shouldn't be an insta-accelerate button for leveling or grinding rep/honor/what have you, it's potential should be much higher than the solo progression's potential.  It's not.  ESO is probably the worst culprit I've seen of this: doing a rather challenging, instanced group dungeon (including the quest turn-in for completion) was literally the worst way to level.  It also provided very, very little in the way of monetary or loot rewards.  It was, overall, a complete waste of time to build that group and complete that dungeon.  That's just silly.

Grouping should be the fastest method of leveling/grinding in the game when done effectively, period.  To provide a solo option that competes with having a good group is doing a disservice to what it originally meant to be an MMO, in my opinion.  It may look good on the box sales initially to have such a design in place, but it won't really last or make a permanent imprint on the field.

Exactly.

Except it has made a permanent imprint and lasting impression. Those gangs last years. The original mmorpg games had soloing had a viable and real option. Eq broke that design. They are now coming back to their roots.
    Err gangs equals games.
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

[mod edit]

I find it strange when someone has been here 4 years almost and still feels the needs to take exception to a simple comment that has no judgement intended on anyone. It baffles me that because I find it strange to want to solo  a mmorpg some read extra in it like I was on some kind of crusade or whine fest.

I did not start this thread so kindly leave off the personal attacks mkay?  Regurgitating? image

Originally posted by kabitoshin
    Honestly if I could find a SP with a massive world as some MMO's with fun PvE and updates every couple months I'd be done with this genre.

Yes I can understand that though there are some nice single player games out there. Myself I mostly duo, solo and if I really like a game then I join a guild or make my own for the group content.

I am really not a big fan of the group finders like in Neverwinter and other such PWE games.  I daresay as well that the group finder in DDO is one I like.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Originally posted by Vermillion_Raventhal

Originally posted by Asm0deus What I find strange is people that play massively multiplayer games yet really want to solo like it was a single player game...
    Ah, I wasn't really talking about the social aspect, I was meaning more of mechanic wise. I have no problem with soloing content but I feel in a mmorpg soloing should be something that is not easily done and should be an accomplishment done only via game knowledge gear and practice or skill. 

I think grouping should make things (content) easier and give good incentives like XP and loot benefits. I am not saying we shouldn't be able to solo anything without a group, I also feel likewise group content shouldn't be "forced". I think if you over level something or are really really good you should be able to at least try to solo it.

Nowadays I find solo content is an easy cakewalk then they overcompensate by making group content forced and overly difficult in some cases. It feels out of whack or unbalanced to me.