Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is not an MMO

Looks like there is no persistent world, just a lobby-based arena shooter, so IMO it shouldn't have a section here.

Unless there's something I'm missing.

Comments

• forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232

You didn't get the memo everything that has a multiplayer feature is called an mmo now, look at all the people that call mobas like LoL and DotA mmos

• ShrillyShrilly Member UncommonPosts: 421
    The term is so loose id cal it not an mmorpg and i would state my claim on that premise of it not being a RPG on mmorpg.com
  • grigdushergrigdusher Member UncommonPosts: 139
    Originally posted by Cantorage

Looks like there is no persistent world, just a lobby-based arena shooter, so IMO it shouldn't have a section here.

based on what?

The game is a full mmo, with an impostation similar to planetside2 big continent with varius base etc etc, they plan to have 1000 player battle, based on pikko server tecnology.

it's basically planetside+space marine (thq/relic game).

if you look at the pre alpha footage from this site:

at 9 minutes the marine exit the fortress and star run outsite  run for a minute and half and look at the fortress from the mountain.

This is only a base the map is not complete.

war 40K Eternal Crusade: refferal 4$ bonus: EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I http://www.eternalcrusade.com/account/sign-up/?ref_code=EC-9Y7IAZJ8UZN6I

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194

Ok then, you're judging a game based on your definition of an MMO.  I can do the same.

This isn't a website.

You're not using a true computer to type on.

The world we see doesn't exists and we just imagine it.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

Seems you need to read again what's the game about, really.

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

Yes the fact that we dont know anything but what little they have showed us

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by forcelima

You didn't get the memo everything that has a multiplayer feature is called an mmo now, look at all the people that call mobas like LoL and DotA mmos

Bleh.  Sadly, you're 100% correct.

• xanthmetisxanthmetis Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Whether or not this game will follow the true definition of MMORPG is yet to be seen as there is a little information about it.  However, even if it does not; it is a game I have been waiting for a long time and truly happy that it is being made.  I do not like FPS perspective but I like the idea of them in a 3rd person MMORPG type feel to the game. Thank you for making this game!
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    All you people who complain about what should and shouldn't be on this website should request a refund of the subscription fee you paid to the site to have only the content you want to see. Because obviously they aren't earning the money you give them if you are seeing content you don't want to see.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Asheram
    All you people who complain about what should and shouldn't be on this website should request a refund of the subscription fee you paid to the site to have only the content you want to see. Because obviously they aren't earning the money you give them if you are seeing content you don't want to see.

+1

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

Its Massive Multiplayer and Online.   What else does it need.

Call of Duty is a MMO, Battefield 4 is a MMO, Planetside 2 is a MMO, Farmtown is a MMO.    What they arent are MMORPGS. (although even that could be argued as yoru role playing a soldier or a hero trying to save the day, or a farmer looking for people to pick your beans so you make a profit.)

I think now we should have Massive Multiplayer Persistent World Role Playing Games. MMPWRG

• Darknessguy64Darknessguy64 Member Posts: 233

And was receiving little to no forum activity. Virtually invisible. Unnoticed by the masses. Incognito. Seen by very few...

Until you started this thread...

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Good point, we get it for nothing. Had a go in a previous post about some games being talked about not being MMORPGs but yeah it's a free forum so when you think about it like that it shouldn't even matter too much.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

+1

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960

You mean it's not an MMO to you, meaning it doesn't fit your personal definition of what the (very broad) term MMO means. Also, it seems as though you're a bit ignorant of exactly what the game is going to be, at least according to what the devs have said & shown so far. Might want to read up on something before trying to include / exclude it from being covered under your own personal definitions of various industry terms.

Also, the gas you're breathing? It's not air. To me, air consists of 75% oxygen. The gas on this planet consists of ~78% oxygen, therefore it isn't air.

Making up definitions is fun!

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by Mondo80

Ok then, you're judging a game based on your definition of an MMO.  I can do the same.

This isn't a website.

You're not using a true computer to type on.

The world we see doesn't exists and we just imagine it.

Great, now I have to contemplate my very existence. 

I'm not sure this thread warrants that kind of dedication on my part.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

But don't you understand that the user has no choice but to click on this site and then is forced to click on articles/threads which may not specifically adhere to a purist view of 'mmorpg'?

I mean, if only the user was in control of what things they click on a page, but as we all know, there is no app for freewill.

And of course we've tried polite requests in the appropriate sections on how to improve the site - you know posts like "LOL this site SUXXORS - WH:40k isn't an mmo!" - You know, productive, well reasoned polite requests in the appropriate place posted - and yet they still ignore us.

You're right - I want my money back.

• VedaRaaVedaRaa Member Posts: 5

You should really read up on the game before you post. Read the EC website FAQ and you'll see it's a persistent open world pvp game.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

You need to read the website for the game..

It will be a full on MMORPG will an open persistant PVP world, with insances for PVE dungeons if people want some PVE. It will not be a lobby based shooter... maybe you are thinking of space marine ?

• DatawarlockDatawarlock Member Posts: 338
    Originally posted by Solar_Prophet

You mean it's not an MMO to you, meaning it doesn't fit your personal definition of what the (very broad) term MMO means. Also, it seems as though you're a bit ignorant of exactly what the game is going to be, at least according to what the devs have said & shown so far. Might want to read up on something before trying to include / exclude it from being covered under your own personal definitions of various industry terms.

Also, the gas you're breathing? It's not air. To me, air consists of 75% oxygen. The gas on this planet consists of ~78% oxygen, therefore it isn't air.

Yeah, zombifying this one =P

But at any rate, I'm not sure what planet you're on, as the air HERE is ~78% nitrogen. You must sleep a LOT.

p.s.

I was bored, saw it, and trolled it. Don't hold it against me.

• Solar_ProphetSolar_Prophet Member EpicPosts: 1,960
    Originally posted by loopback1199

But at any rate, I'm not sure what planet you're on, as the air HERE is ~78% nitrogen. You must sleep a LOT.

p.s.

Hah! Yeah, forgot about this one. Meant to say nitrogen. That's what happens when you try to be a smartass on 3 hours of sleep I guess.

AN' DERE AIN'T NO SUCH FING AS ENUFF DAKKA, YA GROT! Enuff'z more than ya got an' less than too much an' there ain't no such fing as too much dakka. Say dere is, and me Squiggoff'z eatin' tonight!

We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Our eyes are yet to open. FEAR THE OLD BLOOD. 

#IStandWithVic

• Carnage2K4Carnage2K4 Member Posts: 8

Jesus, this thread is just a miasma of ignorance...

It's open persistent world, 30 minutes to walk one side to the other, for a single area, before you get a load screen.

4 initial classes, all with RPG elements.

Hundreds of players in each area, potential 4 way battles.

It has the genera RPG and the prefix MMO written all over it.

Originally posted by loopback1199

p.s.

Hah! Yeah, forgot about this one. Meant to say nitrogen. That's what happens when you try to be a smartass on 3 hours of sleep I guess.

Also... Air is just a mixture of O, N, H etc... hence 78% O or 78% N would still be air...

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    In my opinion, it is going to be an MMO, it's just that it's not going to be a very good one!
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Looks like there is no persistent world, just a lobby-based arena shooter, so IMO it shouldn't have a section here.Unless there's something I'm missing.

Did you do any type of research on this game at all before you ran your mouth? Seldom have I seen one post so full of ignorance having said so few words. You are truly a bad forum member, you should be given a 3 day ban to think about how stupid of a statement you just made, and when you come back offer a full apology.

You sir are the definition of ignorant poster.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• KnotwoodKnotwood Member CommonPosts: 1,103
    This was bound to happen, FPS take front seat to MMORPG's these days and what better way to bring in some new eyes and revenue.   I used to always play SOCOM fps while playing EQOA.   Guess you could consider both an MMO,  They should make clear what the hell a MMOTPS is though, since I doubt many MMORPG fans even know what those initials stand for.