Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] WildStar: Countdown to Launch With Jeremy Gaffney

BMunchausenBMunchausen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff Posts: 400

It's a beautiful Thursday on San Francisco's legendary Embarcadero. The sun's shining, the birds are singing, the breeze is blowing in off the Bay, and how are Carbine's President Jeremy Gaffney and I spending this glorious afternoon? Inside of course, talking about games. Well, one game—Wildstar. With a little more than a week to go before launch, I was intent on bringing up some of my selfish concerns about the game; fortunately the affable Gaffney was happy to oblige me.

Read more of Neilie Johnson's Countdown to Launch With Jeremy Gaffney.

Everyone will agree... the Chua rule.

Comments

• SullieLoreSullieLore Member UncommonPosts: 20
    I'm not sure if it's simply Jeremy's style to be so open, clear, and honest - but I must say it's damn refreshing to see. I'm tired of being marketed to, MMO is arguably the most social game genre (by design) so let's keep the human communication going.
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Carbine's "No BS-policy" is indeed very refreshing and the way the tackle issues and actually listen to community is amazing. I don't know if WS is good enough of  game but its' developed by a proper team.
  • CopypasterinoCopypasterino Member Posts: 66
    See you in Nexus and beyond :) 

I am one of the ten :)

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow
    Carbine's "No BS-policy" is indeed very refreshing and the way the tackle issues and actually listen to community is amazing. I don't know if WS is good enough of  game but its' developed by a proper team.

I agree.  I think I'm close to jumping off the fence and not getting Wildstar due to the quest hub aspect of leveling.  However, everything else about WS I really appreciate.  So there is probably a chance I will get a random wild hair up my bum and buy the game out of the blue next month.  I guess I will see how well I can stay disciplined.   It's a toss up between that or Watch_Dogs.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198

image If I was going to make an mmo, they would def be my 1st choice. Like you said though, I just do not see WS being "good enough". I do hope people like it and it makes a lot of money, but I do not think I can play theme parks anymore.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

A proper team and a proper mmo.

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    To all those saying quest hubs aren't your thing, what is?
  • SiphaedSiphaed Member RarePosts: 1,114
    Great interview and very nice information about the game.  I'm a bit confused as to how their PTS is going to work if it's open at launch and ...well, they said it is a high level zone, right?  How does one test that for a month with no high level players yet?  I'm assuming that they will have boosted characters on the PTS for the sake of testing?  Prefab characters, maybe.

• VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    Apart from being a wow clone even to the point of graphics...does this game have a good day night cycle , weather and rain / wind etc

WildStar is not a WoW clone.

• VicDynamoVicDynamo Member Posts: 234
    Originally posted by DMKano

/synths

To-to-too-tooooooo

to-to-too-too-toooo

It's the FINAL countdown!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjeMDvCdrtc

This is going to be a loooong week for me ... 

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    Originally posted by Siphaed
    Great interview and very nice information about the game.  I'm a bit confused as to how their PTS is going to work if it's open at launch and ...well, they said it is a high level zone, right?  How does one test that for a month with no high level players yet?  I'm assuming that they will have boosted characters on the PTS for the sake of testing?  Prefab characters, maybe.

That part confused me, too. I thought you typically have players run alternate characters on the PTS, but with the game just coming out, who would want to run a character on a test server?

• ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594
    Originally posted by Destai

I guess running around aimlessly looking for quests in hidden pockets of the world? Or hitting up dulfy for the walk-through. No idea...

• barrackerbarracker Member Posts: 5
    I really think that this team can pull it off. Get rid of the stigma "wait until it goes f2p". Excited for this!
  • GrakulenGrakulen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff LegendaryPosts: 894
    Originally posted by ButeoRegalis
    Originally posted by Destai

I guess running around aimlessly looking for quests in hidden pockets of the world? Or hitting up dulfy for the walk-through. No idea...

Exploring =/= running around aimlessly

• DrakolusDrakolus Member UncommonPosts: 134

I gotta admit, I usually loathe theme parks but I think they've done a great job iterating their ideas.  Add to that, he mentioned they wanted to take the game down more Sandboxy paths made me smile.  Playing EVE since 2004 I love me some Sandbox.

I think this is one of the few games coming out that's actually going to make me cough up the cash for the box AND a sub and not be broken up about it.  Keep up the good work guys :).

• LudwikLudwik Member UncommonPosts: 407
    I'd feel so much better about picking is this game if it wasn't an NCSoft product.
  • TraceOfDustMitesTraceOfDustMites Member Posts: 28
    Can't friggin wait till next weekend. For the person that asked... This game does have day/night cycles. 1 second is 7 seconds in game. Wow clone? Lol. Isn't wow an eq clone then? I guess because you make a character and level, it must be wow. Haha.

I can't remember the last beta where I had so much fun learning combat. Housing has also been a blast. Just the process of buying the house from was entertaining.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by Vivasvan
    Apart from being a wow clone even to the point of graphics...
    k buddy  gotta stop yah there!! in Noway are the graphics and the humor alike to wow!!!!! Yah iam one of those 10!
  • coyagacoyaga Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Originally posted by ButeoRegalis

Originally posted by Siphaed

That part confused me, too. I thought you typically have players run alternate characters on the PTS, but with the game just coming out, who would want to run a character on a test server?

As far as i know, the original closed beta testers were allowed to get to 50. These characters will be moved to PTS not wiped.

See you on Nexus! (EU Ascendancy)
  • CleverjackCleverjack Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by orbitxo
    k buddy  gotta stop yah there!! in Noway are the graphics and the humor alike to wow!!!!! Yah iam one of those 10!

I'm right there with ya brother! Use to love wow and then they took away customization and made it casual. These guys are throwing down and being honest about their product. They understand that gold spammers is a cancer in the mmo-genre and how are they combating it, with CREED. SO no gold spammers and no F2P whiners. Happy I pre-ordered

• CleverjackCleverjack Member UncommonPosts: 72

• obocoboc Member UncommonPosts: 189
    So happy I bought this game. These guy's really have their crap together. Also, the amount of testing they have done is nothing but a plus plus, this is the first mmo I've ever seen that has had this amount of testing done before it goes 100% live. If it stays a sub or fails to f2p, I'll get my 75 bucks worth no matter. Win, win in my book.
  • jimbobfurleyjimbobfurley Member UncommonPosts: 104

So let me get this straight -- you have to shell out for the game, what is it a minimum 60 clams, and then there is a sub on top of that ?

• zellmerzellmer Member UncommonPosts: 442

Just fluff questions?

No:

"So honestly, how many months before it's F2P, or are you really going to try and get a year before you realize..."

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Aaargh, should I get it? I am so tempted because a lot of things are good. But the memory of the meaningless quest-hubbing click click zombie levelling is still strong.