Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Ascend: Hand of Kul Now Available for PC on Steam

BMunchausenBMunchausen Staff WriterMMORPG.COM Staff Posts: 400

Third-person free-to-play action-RPG Ascend: Hand of Kul lets players become a powerful Caos warrior in the fight against the spawn of the Titan. Compared to the Xbox 360 version, this new PC version is said to contain better visuals, combat enhancements and overall, a more fluid experience.

In bringing Ascend: Hand of Kul to PC, our focus has been on making sure we deliver a really fun and high quality experience,” said DR Albright, President and Creative Director of Signal Studios. “Releasing on Steam means we are no longer constrained by lengthy approval processes and can now provide a much deeper level of support for the game. We see Ascend having a very long lifespan and stand committed to working with our loyal community to improve upon an already solid foundation of core gameplay.

To download the game, visit its Steam page.

Comments

• MontaronxMontaronx Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Very fun game sofar. It reminds me somewhat of that god game moleneux made a few years back( cant recall the name)

• brindleburnbrindleburn Member UncommonPosts: 65

Can't access it on steam or via their website is this America only? 

• pookirpookir Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by brindleburn

Can't access it on steam or via their website is this America only? 

nope, EU player here

• brindleburnbrindleburn Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Ok thanks, worked it out.  I followed the links from the article above and they wouldn't work for me, been able to get access from opening steam and searching. 
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910
    Originally posted by Montaronx
    Very fun game sofar. It reminds me somewhat of that god game moleneux made a few years back( cant recall the name)

Black & White?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• bluezone5bluezone5 Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Nah, not Black and White. That was a strategy game. I'd say it's closer to Overlord.
  • BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959

So is this like co-op, team based, single player and/or arena? From what I see it looks like it has taken the soul system from Demon's/Dark Souls and made it more accessible so you can like summon people to help you level and/or kill your character to level up and fight people arena style or invade their worlds and eat  and use villagers?

This really confuses me, but I like the fact that you apparently can interact with other people in an almost single player environment, gotta download this to understand what the heck this is but it looks interesting and like a step in the right direction for gaming, thanks for the article.

• scholesscholes Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by bluezone5
    Nah, not Black and White. That was a strategy game. I'd say it's closer to Overlord.

You mean Populous ?

Scholes

• VezlinVezlin Member UncommonPosts: 35

This is a weird game, though weird's not bad. It feels like Darksiders-inspired combat and art style met the Souls' series doom and gloom and constant hungering for souls, with Warhammer Fantasy as the lore backdrop.

You are an immortal spirit that serves that new gods that lives in the bodies of giants,  'Caos Warriors.' You choose a deity, and try to take over the world in their name. Your choice of deity gives you your narrator, as well as abilities you can learn throughout the course of the campaign. From there, you charge off into the game.

Combat is action style. Combos are very simple at the moment, but I imagine they could add more in the future. You have quick attacks, the number of which you use resulting in different heavy attacks, a block that works against most abilities, a dodge, and your selection of spells. Every once in a while, when prompted, you can also tap E to do a finisher on an enemy to regain HP. More hits without getting hits gets you more combo points, more combo points get you more souls when you kill stuff.

XP from kills gets you levels. Souls buy you weapons, armour, certain spells (most are earned via plot), spell upgrades, and item upgrades, and are also used to repair, and upgrade current items. Now, you CAN buy souls for real money, but store items are randomized and level locked, so that'll only go so far, though...

Every few levels, you can shed your body and 'Ascend' it, sending it to Crusade on behalf of one of the New Gods. This is not a handwave to explain a new game plus-esque feature. You lose some levels and your inventory. However, you can use your souls to purchase legacy pillars, and add some of your items to your permanent inventory. You also send your body to one of the gods, and it will actually be able to appear as a random bossfight for other players, capable of earning you and your god rewards. You can also realign to a new god at this point, allowing you to mix and match spells.

Dungeons are randomized once a day, and a special item must be purchased with souls to enter dungeons not of your alignment. If you follow Void, you can't enter Blood or Light dungeons without buying a Mask of Blood or Mask of Light. Many spawns and bosses are copy pasted, but these encounters aren't bad, per say, and the addition of other players roaming around can lead to some interesting trouble.

You can see the 'ghosts' of players in the same zones as you are, coloured by their deity alignment. You can use 'curses' to send them more enemies to fight, or 'blessings' to give them bonuses such as more exp or better spell recharge. More in depth co-op and PvP options are also 'planned.'

It's derivative of a lot of things, but I think it's an interesting game worth the look, and considering the entry price is 'free' and the download isn't even that big, the only thing you've got to lose from giving it a shot is time. I label it as an okay time killer for now, but this is beta, and I could definitely see it growing into more.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Thanks for the review