Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unfortunately, we all know the truth about this game...

BootezBootez Member UncommonPosts: 72

We've seen this so often. Even I almost bought into the hype. And, at this point, who knows, I may fall into the insanity that is buying this game.

It is insanity for a reason: We keep buying these half-finished MMOs, hoping for that old feeling of adventure. I don't see how this game could possibly be any different. The MMO industry is repeating itself. But this game isn't smooth. It isn't a piece of art.

Art here is important. It is obvious this game isn't a piece of art. If you think I'm wrong, go look how all of the grass on the ground flows at the EXACT same time. It shouldn't. It should flow in waves. This game lacks the fine details that make a game a piece of art. I have yet to find an environment in this game that shows an artist's touch. They are talented, yes, but they aren't putting their souls into this game and it becomes painfully obvious when you take a close look at the textures and animations.

Just like all of the recently mmo releases (Apart from maybe Guild Wars 2?), this game fails in the art department. And unfortunately, that is what makes an MMO a living, breathing thing. It needs the fine details in combat as well as art to make it work, which is why WoW has dominated the scene for so long (Apart from Panda-land, which, regardless of how silly some of the expansion is, the environment is still a work of art). 

Deep down, I feel like we all know this. Even my most-excited gamer friends have realized the failure train that this game is on. 

Comments

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

Wildstar is an exceptional artistic game. Combat feels smooth, dungeons & raids are fun. 

Stop saying "we" u dont speak for the masses. I have yet to see anyone in the industry share your opinion. You & 2 of your buddies don't speak for the MMO community  :)

Edit: My bad, I thought you were being serious. The comparison to WoW is a red flag for a troll post.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    If you're worried about it wait a month and see what happens. If it's a good mmo it will be around for years. If it's bad it will be pretty obvious after the first 30 days and you'll have saved yourself the time and money.
  • IggunsIgguns Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Note to developers:  Better flowing grass with a sort of randomness swaying in the breeze is important.
  • ButeoRegalisButeoRegalis Member UncommonPosts: 594

Yes, the grass has always bugged me, too. First thing I check in every MMO. Does the grass look natural?

This is why I think EVE is a piece of sh!t - no grass at all! What were they thinking?!? It's like they just don't get it. I'm so glad I have finally found a kindred soul!!

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    It's just an average MMO to me.  I played the betas and just didn't care to argue one way or the other.  It's just kind of .. there.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Silly OP.  you spend the first 2 paragraphs talking about the importance of graphics then go on to imply that wow graphics is why wow is a success.  Wow graphics is 10 years older the Wildstar, Wildstar deliberately applying the same approach to graphic style but with more updateed tech and textures (something to do with the fact wildstar has wow developers on board)  And finally (oh this is critical) the grass in WOW is inferior to Wildstar and most mmo.

Half finished with 9 years of dev? Wow player scared to move on/protected perceived patch perchance? edit oh lol, GW2.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640

I was an early tester that grew bored with the game a FULL year into testing.

However I went back  right before open beta and have to say they have really listened to tester input the game is completely reworked and a much more fun and immersive game that it has been in the past.

Even since Open Beta has ended and the servers were suppose to be offline, they have had at least one server online almost every day adding changes, fixing bugs, testing server stability.

This team is very dedicated to having the best possible launch they can have and and working hard to make it happen. 

• Delerious1Delerious1 Member Posts: 72

While the op doesn't speak for the masses, I think alot of you glossing over his main points, which is about quality of design.  To some of you, realistically flowing grass may not be important.  Some of you may not care how your character looks when it strafes side to side.  Some of you may not care about realistic day/night cycles.  Some of you may not care about what the npc's generally do and say as the idle about, but some of us do.

A huge part of what makes an mmo great, is all the details that contribute to a game world feeling alive.

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

This game isn't half finished, but it won't be huge at all for other reasons.

Reason being, this game only appeals to people who enjoy seriously raiding bosses with 19-39 other people while defeating said boss with a limited choice of skills that once pressed will execute a very lame animation in the triangle telegraph in front of your character.  While doing this, you must also be wary of red triangles of death that will wipe your raid and cycle interrupt skills.  The end. 

Jokes aside, the truth is their game is not built to appeal to a wide variety of players.  Just the hardcore and "classic wow feels" players.  

I'm as hardcore as they come, but this game just isn't for me.  The lore is essentially non-existent and I can't take the game seriously at all as a result, my guildies feel the same, and the skill system/combat makes me feel like i'm playing the MOBA smite, and that isn't how I like my raiding.  For those that can tolerate those two aspects though, I'm sure they will enjoy the large amounts of raiding content that carbine has planned, or atleast constantly brags about having planned.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962

You'll always play half finished MMO's. Maybe not half finished, but at least unfinished. Imagine a finished MMO. How dull would that be.

The artistic element is a relative one.

I'm not going to defend the game to death because honestly I don't like it either. And it has lots to do with my eyes being hurt by stupid symbols on the ground and the whole combat being build around this principle.

I suggest people who are epileptic to stay away from this game :D 

• redbugredbug Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Originally posted by ButeoRegalis

Yes, the grass has always bugged me, too. First thing I check in every MMO. Does the grass look natural?

This is why I think EVE is a piece of sh!t - no grass at all! What were they thinking?!? It's like they just don't get it. I'm so glad I have finally found a kindred soul!!

I was so excited about this game until I read this discussion. No random grass waving, no sub. I pretty sure a lot of people feel the same way as I do. This game is destined to fail.

• MyownGodMyownGod Member UncommonPosts: 205
    Originally posted by DamonVile
    If you're worried about it wait a month and see what happens. If it's a good mmo it will be around for years. If it's bad it will be pretty obvious after the first 30 days and you'll have saved yourself the time and money.

Listen to DamonVile! Hi

s words are just!! Really like he said 1 month is not long to wait.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

People are mostly caught up in the good-guy-dev craze that is going on right now. They are all gamers just like you! wHAAAA!!

#marketing

Originally posted by Bootez

We've seen this so often. Even I almost bought into the hype. And, at this point, who knows, I may fall into the insanity that is buying this game.

It is insanity for a reason: We keep buying these half-finished MMOs, hoping for that old feeling of adventure. I don't see how this game could possibly be any different. The MMO industry is repeating itself. But this game isn't smooth. It isn't a piece of art.

Art here is important. It is obvious this game isn't a piece of art. If you think I'm wrong, go look how all of the grass on the ground flows at the EXACT same time. It shouldn't. It should flow in waves. This game lacks the fine details that make a game a piece of art. I have yet to find an environment in this game that shows an artist's touch. They are talented, yes, but they aren't putting their souls into this game and it becomes painfully obvious when you take a close look at the textures and animations.

Just like all of the recently mmo releases (Apart from maybe Guild Wars 2?), this game fails in the art department. And unfortunately, that is what makes an MMO a living, breathing thing. It needs the fine details in combat as well as art to make it work, which is why WoW has dominated the scene for so long (Apart from Panda-land, which, regardless of how silly some of the expansion is, the environment is still a work of art). 

Deep down, I feel like we all know this. Even my most-excited gamer friends have realized the failure train that this game is on. 

You assumptions hurts. Have you looked into the game's development history? This game have been in development longer than TESO which is around 5 years. With that length of development time I don't think it would be a "Half game". Regarding the art, it have a different style of art? Not all game HAVE to have the graphic close to reality (Might as well not play games, and stick to life). The texture are fine, same goes with the animation, this does not really reflect on the game's quality of gameplay (Which most people are looking this days, not just some pretty graphic, because most people have matured and understand what games should be). 

But like Damon Vile said wait 1 month, it doesn't hurt, or even feel long.

Originally posted by Utinni

People are mostly caught up in the good-guy-dev craze that is going on right now. They are all gamers just like you! wHAAAA!!

#marketing

Consumerism bro, Apple is the pioneer of making what we don't need, into what we desperately  need to live.

• DemenshaDemensha Member UncommonPosts: 76

I personally like the art style but understand your opinion. Don't think I ever looked at a MMO in that great a detail. Ive preordered wildstar with no great expectations. One thing that concerns me, if they wish to put this game in the ring up against WoW then it should release with " play to lvl 20 for free" I feel ill play til end of the 30 days then wait and see where this game is headed. See if I like what im playing.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

Silly OP.  you spend the first 2 paragraphs talking about the importance of graphics then go on to imply that wow graphics is why wow is a success.  Wow graphics is 10 years older the Wildstar, Wildstar deliberately applying the same approach to graphic style but with more updateed tech and textures (something to do with the fact wildstar has wow developers on board)  And finally (oh this is critical) the grass in WOW is inferior to Wildstar and most mmo.

Half finished with 9 years of dev? Wow player scared to move on/protected perceived patch perchance? edit oh lol, GW2.

I assure you, most WoW players will move on as soon as a single MMO comes along that does what WoW did to Everquest.

WoW revolutionized Everquest.

So when's the game that revolutionizes WoW going to come along? More to the point: when are people going to stop coughing up money for these half-baked WoW clones that get marched out year after year? You do realize, if you stop throwing your money away on crappy games like ESO and Wildstar that'll be free to play in 6 months anyway, the industry is going to be forced to come up with something brand new.

Unfortunately, the suits at Big Gaming have it down to a science - release half-finished WoW Clone crap and people will buy it. You can't blame them for doing what works.

Baaaaaa. 

• BootezBootez Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

Where did I say anything about graphics? I mentioned art which is WAY different than graphics.

• jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    i bought the game an looking forward to it not because i believe it WoW 2.0 or the next big MMO i just want to play it. i may get bored after a month an wait for the next big release or i may stick with it for 2 years + will see

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

While small things like the animation of the world is nice (it makes the game feel more alive) there are way more important thing for a MMO than that.

The number one thing is how fun the game is. With repeating boring combat the game will fail no matter how wonderful the grass looks. Not liking the game is fine but writing it off on grounds like this is just silly.

A game doesn't need to be a artful masterpiece if it is fun in the long run, just look on Minecraft.

If WS is fun in the long run for most people is something we will have to wait for until after launch but it is a serious mistake to write it off on grounds like this. If you hate the combat, thinks the mechanics sucks or just are bored when you play  you have way better reasons to think it will bomb but personal opinions are not always what others think. I never understood what is so great with Wow myself but it is still very popular after almost 10 years.

• DaessarDaessar Member Posts: 204

We've seen this so often.

Unfortunately we all know the truth is, this is a flamebait post, and yes, we have seen this very often. Congratulations, herp derp.

Originally posted by umcorian

So when's the game that revolutionizes WoW going to come along?

Who knows? how long have you been waiting? cause it sure sounds like a long time. I guess we'll still see you posting here in your 70's, waiting for that revolutionary game to come along, while the rest of us play whatever we find fun.

Enjoy your lawn chair while you wait.

• umcorianumcorian Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by Daessar

Unfortunately we all know the truth is, this is a flamebait post, and yes, we have seen this very often. Congratulations, herp derp.

Who knows? how long have you been waiting? cause it sure sounds like a long time. I guess we'll still see you posting here in your 70's, waiting for that revolutionary game to come along, while the rest of us play whatever we find fun.

My lawnchair is perfectly comfortable. There's plenty of Non-MMOs I can play from it.

And hey, maybe one day, people will figure out they're just releasing the same half-complete game over and over again each year and, eventually, get tired of it too. It's going on 10 years now, but even the slowest sheep eventually get sick of being sheared.

Or maybe not. 

Either way, I'm getting Vitamin D on my lawn. 

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    It's just an average MMO to me.  I played the betas and just didn't care to argue one way or the other.  It's just kind of .. there.

image this is just another mmo that brings nothing to the table.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654
    Originally posted by ButeoRegalis

loved this post.

Also, OP, do you really think that there is only room for 'failure' or 'success' there isn't perhaps levels of each? 

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Daessar

Wow so someone wants something new and now they are put in the "you are old, so it does not matter what you say". I guess kids will be kidsimage

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".