Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Literally all I want is Original EQ with better graphics.

Comments

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Having a spell book had a purpose. Sitting and starting at it did not. They got rid of that after just a couple years.

You can memorize without staring at something to the exclusion of everything else.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by EnterTheWombat
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Flyte27

really?

People actually like to kill the same static mob spawn over and over and over again, in the middle of camp drama, staring at the spellbook, and corpse runs?

I am glad those days are over. EQ, to me, is not a very good game compared to modern games.

spell books had a purpose.  In D&D you had to rest once each day to memorize your spells(You could only cast each spell once a day).  Everquest took that mechanic and modified it.  They made it so that meditating was required to memorize one of 8 choices of spells and also increased your magic regeneration rate.  Magic was powerful in Everquest (as it should be IMO) and this was one of the counter balances.

Corpse runs were a lot more exciting then going through the fairly easy and boring quests they put out there these days IMO.  At least there was a reason to feel something (fear of death and loss) or (fear someone might steal your kill/train you).  In a static environment it's pretty boring.

I call that BS. Having someone staring at a non-moving screen is a bad mechanics in video games, no matter how you want to justify it. Magic is powerful in many games, few requires you to waste time for so long doing nothing to regain mana.

Corpse runs is exciting? May be for you. I would much rather run a high torment diablo dungeon. If you want some fear, put in an optional PD like D3.

Again, i am glad those days are over ... and i doubt they are coming back anytime soon, not that I will participate.

We get it. YOU don't like those parts about EQ and lots of people share your feelings. This thread mostly consists of people who did like some of those mechanics and how a few graphical and UI improvements would make it easier to get back into it. Once again, WE ALL GET IT, YOU DON'T LIKE IT and no one here is trying to say that such a game would have even 300k subs, just wishful thinking. 

wow .. you don't have to go all ballistic just because i expressed a different opinion.

And i get that you get that i don't like it ... but that is not the point .. the point is discussing why.

• TallynTallyn Member UncommonPosts: 217

While it may lack some "better" graphics, all one must do is Google "classic EverQuest" to be saved from all of these new nasty MMOs and be delivered back to 1999 in Norrath again.

Happy nostalgia folks!

P.S. And SOE has already said that if you still own your CDs or DVDs for EQ then you have the right to play EQ however you want or can.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Not that I have read all these pages, but basically you want a chat room with occasional combat.  That is what EQ was to me.  You got in a group and shot the shit till the mobs respawn.  About 1 time a week we got together to do something that required more thought.  Other than that it was a gloried chat room.
  • sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788

really?

People actually like to kill the same static mob spawn over and over and over again, in the middle of camp drama, staring at the spellbook, and corpse runs?

I am glad those days are over. EQ, to me, is not a very good game compared to modern games.

spell books had a purpose.  In D&D you had to rest once each day to memorize your spells(You could only cast each spell once a day).  Everquest took that mechanic and modified it.  They made it so that meditating was required to memorize one of 8 choices of spells and also increased your magic regeneration rate.  Magic was powerful in Everquest (as it should be IMO) and this was one of the counter balances.

Corpse runs were a lot more exciting then going through the fairly easy and boring quests they put out there these days IMO.  At least there was a reason to feel something (fear of death and loss) or (fear someone might steal your kill/train you).  In a static environment it's pretty boring.

I call that BS. Having someone staring at a non-moving screen is a bad mechanics in video games, no matter how you want to justify it. Magic is powerful in many games, few requires you to waste time for so long doing nothing to regain mana.

Corpse runs is exciting? May be for you. I would much rather run a high torment diablo dungeon. If you want some fear, put in an optional PD like D3.

Again, i am glad those days are over ... and i doubt they are coming back anytime soon, not that I will participate.

When you died, you lost the spells from your hotbar, and you had to re-learn them from your spellbook. You were essentially a new character starting over, the point of it was to make death actually have some sort of a learning curve, and to give you time to think about it. 

Also your entitled to your opinion, but your not stating an opinion, your stating what you feel as facts. Your not saying "In my opinion" these are bad mechanics, your simply stating as a fact "Is bad mechanics". So your actually the one who isnt discussing the topic but rather pushing your own world views onto others.

The point is, in referance to the game world that EQ was, relearning spells made perfect sense, it was a knock to the head, a reminder that the world is full of actual danger and to be wary of that danger. 

Also waiting to regain mana had a point as well, it was about character growth. Your character started with a very erratic mana and health regen, design to constantly be moving up and down as you healed. 

Eventually you would get a skill called "Meditate" that improved this and made it more controlled and improed significantly faster. Again it was just another step your character took in improving him/her self and it showed actual progression through the game world. 

All  I want really, again IMO is a world that provides that same kind of progression and non-linear play that EQ had. Themeparks now are synonymous with Linear, and EQ was the farthest thing from that. You didnt have a quest log, you didnt have one straight path to go down, mobs werent collected in packs of level 5's and 6's and you neatly could parade around them with ease. It was about something different, and its something I personally want to see back in MMO's.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I want Anarchy Online or SWG, but yeah, I still take an EQ1 reboot over what we have today.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    Having a spell book had a purpose. Sitting and starting at it did not. They got rid of that after just a couple years.

You can memorize without staring at something to the exclusion of everything else.

It did serve a purpose.  In D&D you were supposed to have to concentrate entirely on your spellbook because you needed intense concentration (meditation).  This would leave you vulnerable to attack. 

As for the other comment by another poster magic was far more powerful and varied/interesting in Everquest/D&D, but was also very much limited by being able to die easily and having to rest (unlike melee who could keep doing damage as long as they had a healer).  Melee had the disadvantage that they were no good at soloing and caused less damage in short periods of time (except maybe rogue/thief who couldn't tank and had spiky damage(backstab). 

The scrubbing o of the spell was the memorization. The staring at the spell book was regen. Concentration was needed to memorize not for mana amounts.

There was no need or purpose served by starting at the spell book not being able to see anything else while waiting for mana to replenish.
    And new spells took a minute or so just to scribe. Except bards.
    Man I loved my bard. Could swarm kite as most a whole zone it felt like.
    The scrubbing o of the spell was the memorization. The staring at the spell book was regen. Concentration was needed to memorize not for mana amounts.

There was no need or purpose served by starting at the spell book not being able to see anything else while waiting for mana to replenish.

Mana regen was the MMO equivalent of having to memorizing your spells again every day.  While it wasn't actually memorizing your spells to your spell bar, it was the equivalent of spending a day memorizing your spells so you could use them again.  The main problem is it couldn't be completely replicated in a persistent world as you can't rest every day.  Also while meditating you generally have your eyes closed and don't see what is going on around you.

It did serve a purpose.  In D&D you were supposed to have to concentrate entirely on your spellbook because you needed intense concentration (meditation).  This would leave you vulnerable to attack. 

As for the other comment by another poster magic was far more powerful and varied/interesting in Everquest/D&D, but was also very much limited by being able to die easily and having to rest (unlike melee who could keep doing damage as long as they had a healer).  Melee had the disadvantage that they were no good at soloing and caused less damage in short periods of time (except maybe rogue/thief who couldn't tank and had spiky damage(backstab). 

A made-up purpose that does not increase the fun of a game? Please .......

So what if it has a made-up purpose. With magic in a GAME setting, you can make up any lore to justify a mechanics. The problem is not that you cannot ... "you have to concentrate" ... "boredom is good for magic" ....

The problem is that it makes the game not fun.

I don't play games with bad boring mechanics just because someone can make up a story of why it happens that way ....

A made-up purpose that does not increase the fun of a game? Please .......

So what if it has a made-up purpose. With magic in a GAME setting, you can make up any lore to justify a mechanics. The problem is not that you cannot ... "you have to concentrate" ... "boredom is good for magic" ....

The problem is that it makes the game not fun.

I don't play games with bad boring mechanics just because someone can make up a story of why it happens that way ....

To me it makes it fun.  The lore made sense and the game mechanics were actually unique and interesting for each class.  The people who made D&D had a lot more interesting ideas then what you see in MMOs today.  Basically every class is the same in power in ever way.  They just do it slightly differently.  None really have anything markedly unique about them.  Any type of reason to become invested in the game is dead IMO.  That is part of why people hop from game to game.  They don't really care about the lore, classes, or game mechanics.  They just want to jump in and jump out (maybe insert credit card here and there when they encounter and obstacle).  You could probably insert a credit card to skip meditation in a modern day MMO.

To me it makes it fun.  The lore made sense and the game mechanics were actually unique and interesting for each class.  The people who made D&D had a lot more interesting ideas then what you see in MMOs today.  Basically every class is the same in power in ever way.  They just do it slightly differently.  None really have anything markedly unique about them.  Any type of reason to become invested in the game is dead IMO.  That is part of why people hop from game to game.  They don't really care about the lore, classes, or game mechanics.  They just want to jump in and jump out (maybe insert credit card here and there when they encounter and obstacle). 

Staring at a non-moving spellbook for 10 min is fun for you? Well, if so, your taste is so out of norm of the marketplace that you should not expect any dev to cater to you.

Heck, i doubt even the most hardcore sandbox loving old timers who want all the old games back would think staring at a non-moving image for 10 min is fun, no matter what the "lore" is.

But whatever makes you tick. Personally i want a video game that I actually can play, but that is just me.

• NevulusNevulus Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    I sure do miss EQ, I just cant deal with the outdated graphics at this point in my gaming life.
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

To me it makes it fun.  The lore made sense and the game mechanics were actually unique and interesting for each class.  The people who made D&D had a lot more interesting ideas then what you see in MMOs today.  Basically every class is the same in power in ever way.  They just do it slightly differently.  None really have anything markedly unique about them.  Any type of reason to become invested in the game is dead IMO.  That is part of why people hop from game to game.  They don't really care about the lore, classes, or game mechanics.  They just want to jump in and jump out (maybe insert credit card here and there when they encounter and obstacle). 

Staring at a non-moving spellbook for 10 min is fun for you? Well, if so, your taste is so out of norm of the marketplace that you should not expect any dev to cater to you.

Heck, i doubt even the most hardcore sandbox loving old timers who want all the old games back would think staring at a non-moving image for 10 min is fun, no matter what the "lore" is.

But whatever makes you tick. Personally i want a video game that I actually can play, but that is just me.

Why is it that people feel the need to hijack and troll threads? You stated your "opinion", move on.

Originally posted by Kilrain

Why is it that people feel the need to hijack and troll threads? You stated your "opinion", move on.

Stating an opinion different than yours is "hijacking" a thread?

I am responding to discussions about the points I make. If you do not like that discussion, you can always ignore me, and the other person(s) (and if you notice, i am not the only one discussing this point) in the discussion.

Your right that it wasn't thrilling, but it was part of the game and had a purpose.  Not everything in a game has to be super fun.  To me removing a lot of the things that weren't fun both removed a lot of the role playing aspects and also removed the reward of accomplishing something.  We are at the point where there aren't any mechanics in game related to the lore of the game other then the same generic stuff every MMOs has these days.  The reward of getting something is hallow because everyone can do it and it's generally fairly easy.  Class uniqueness is gone.  When you look at it there isn't much reason to play IMO.  It was very frustrating to play Everquest, but it was also very rewarding when you accomplished something.  People also just sat around goofing off at times.  They would do goofy things like casting illusion gnome and then casting grow to make a gnome the size of an ogre. 

Your right that it wasn't thrilling, but it was part of the game and had a purpose.  Not everything in a game has to be super fun.  To me removing a lot of the things that weren't fun both removed a lot of the role playing aspects and also removed the reward of accomplishing something.  We are at the point where there aren't any mechanics in game related to the lore of the game other then the same generic stuff every MMOs has these days. 

All of your general rant about modern MMOs is irrelevant on this very bad mechanic of staring at a spellbook.

"Not everything in a game has to be super fun" .. true, but they should not be super boring .. which is the case here.

"both removed a lot of the role playing aspects" what RP aspects? Staring at a static imaging doing nothing is role-playing for you?

"removed the reward of accomplishing something." - I have to bored out of my mind to feel rewarded? really? Don't tell me staring at a spellbook "add to the challenge".

"We are at the point where there aren't any mechanics in game related to the lore of the game" ... if you mean there aren't any boring mechanics in game related to the lore ...then GOOD. That is exactly how i want it.

Fun is more important than lore. And you can always make up some lore for fun mechanics too, why settle for the boring ones?

Your right that it wasn't thrilling, but it was part of the game and had a purpose.  Not everything in a game has to be super fun.  To me removing a lot of the things that weren't fun both removed a lot of the role playing aspects and also removed the reward of accomplishing something.  We are at the point where there aren't any mechanics in game related to the lore of the game other then the same generic stuff every MMOs has these days. 

All of your general rant about modern MMOs is irrelevant on this very bad mechanic of staring at a spellbook.

"Not everything in a game has to be super fun" .. true, but they should not be super boring .. which is the case here.

"both removed a lot of the role playing aspects" what RP aspects? Staring at a static imaging doing nothing is role-playing for you?

"removed the reward of accomplishing something." - I have to bored out of my mind to feel rewarded? really? Don't tell me staring at a spellbook "add to the challenge".

"We are at the point where there aren't any mechanics in game related to the lore of the game" ... if you mean there aren't any boring mechanics in game related to the lore ...then GOOD. That is exactly how i want it.

Fun is more important than lore. And you can always make up some lore for fun mechanics too, why settle for the boring ones?

There were some challenges brought on by meditation.  You might be attacked while resting (similar to D&D resting had a % chance you would be attacked).  Yes this is challenging because in games today everything is static generally and doesn't usually agro.  Even if it does it's easy to take multiple mobs down usually with any class. 

Another reason resting/memorizing/meditating was important is because melee classes were supposed to protect the frailer mage classes who spend all their time studying spells and gaining magical power. 

Maybe it's a mechanic that could be lived without, but to you everything needs to be fun.   According to your idea of fun it seems there can be nothing in a game that is not fun or provokes emotion (drama).  The question is what do you find fun in game?  To me you seem to only like things that are easy (fun to you).  I realize Diablo 3 combat is challenging to an extent at higher levels, but it's more about gear then anything IMO.

To me you want to take everything you consider bad/boring out of games, but don't realize the consequences doing so entails.  That's fine as a lot of people don't seem to realize this as well.  They just don't understand the value.  That is fine.

• KeatlorienKeatlorien Member Posts: 37

Perhaps a small development studio could start releasing a game with EQ style gameplay one zone at a time. Just stick it up on Steam and see if people enjoy playing a challenging mmorpg.

Charge people a relatively small amount of money to get access to one great zone. If the developers do a good job, then the zone would serve as a proof of concept and perhaps a larger development studio would decide to make an investment.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    The graphics arent a deal breaker for me in EQ...What really put an end to my EQ life was when the game went away from being group based to a solo adventure.....It just wasnt anywhere near as much fun without others to group with........

There were some challenges brought on by meditation.  You might be attacked while resting (similar to D&D resting had a % chance you would be attacked).  Yes this is challenging because in games today everything is static generally and doesn't usually agro.  Even if it does it's easy to take multiple mobs down usually with any class. 

Another reason resting/memorizing/meditating was important is because melee classes were supposed to protect the frailer mage classes who spend all their time studying spells and gaining magical power. 

Maybe it's a mechanic that could be lived without, but to you everything needs to be fun.   According to your idea of fun it seems there can be nothing in a game that is not fun or provokes emotion (drama).  The question is what do you find fun in game?  To me you seem to only like things that are easy (fun to you).  I realize Diablo 3 combat is challenging to an extent at higher levels, but it's more about gear then anything IMO.

To me you want to take everything you consider bad/boring out of games, but don't realize the consequences doing so entails.  That's fine as a lot of people don't seem to realize this as well.  They just don't understand the value.  That is fine.

Let me get this straight ...

- watching a non-moving screen until something happens is challenging to you?

- if melee class is supposed to protect mage class, someone has to do nothing for them to protect? Just have them protect a NPC.

And yes, everything needs to be fun in a game. Otherwise, i don't see a point. And yes, D3 combat is challenging .. and certainly a lot more than sitting around doing nothing. May be you should try that some time.

Heck, even tic-tac-toe is more challenging than watching a static screen waiting something to happen.

And don't expect your values applies to everyone. Watching a screen has zero value in my entertainment.

Originally posted by Keatlorien

Perhaps a small development studio could start releasing a game with EQ style gameplay one zone at a time. Just stick it up on Steam and see if people enjoy playing a challenging mmorpg.

Charge people a relatively small amount of money to get access to one great zone. If the developers do a good job, then the zone would serve as a proof of concept and perhaps a larger development studio would decide to make an investment.

You think someone will spend money on a game that ask players to kill the same static spawn again and again, waiting in line, and dodge for the occasional train?

I suppose you can get people to fund anything on KS. Good luck!

Let me get this straight ...

- watching a non-moving screen until something happens is challenging to you?

- if melee class is supposed to protect mage class, someone has to do nothing for them to protect? Just have them protect a NPC.

And yes, everything needs to be fun in a game. Otherwise, i don't see a point. And yes, D3 combat is challenging .. and certainly a lot more than sitting around doing nothing. May be you should try that some time.

Heck, even tic-tac-toe is more challenging than watching a static screen waiting something to happen.

And don't expect your values applies to everyone. Watching a screen has zero value in my entertainment.

Protecting an NPC is pointless IMO.  This is part of grouping mechanics.

To me constant combat non stop combat is not fun or healthy. 

To me you can't have fun in a game without having some hardships to overcome.  The hardships are not likely to be fun.  That is why not everyone is willing to accomplish them, but when you do it actually feels rewarding.  If everything is fun/easy the game is not fun.  There is nothing to elicit fun because there is nothing to elicit emotional response of any kind IMO.

Perhaps staring at a spellbook was overkill, but the mechanic is fine.  I believe they would just need to tone down the amount of time it took to recover magic.