Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Origins Of Malu: The Final Push to Cross the Finish Line

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Origins of Malu is a project that has been in the works for several years now and is close to getting out the door. To get there, a new KickStarter campaign has launched to hire the needed personnel to cross the finish line. We chatted with Michael Dunham, CEO of Burning Dog Media to find out more about the program. 

Read more of Suzie Ford's Origins of Malu: The Final Push to Cross the Finish Line.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• RetiredRetired Member UncommonPosts: 744
    Game looks like it's coming along nicely. Feel sorry for them as whoever did the kickstarter page screwed them pretty badly. One of the worse kickstarter presentations I have seen which is sad because the game looks kinda good. The first week of kickstarter is your most important, Origins had a kickstarter video that had zero gameplay scenes, no perks listed, hardly any information, no human talking in their video about how they need support, etc.  They could have made good money on kickstarter if they would have taken their time and done it right, not launch something half ass campaign to add a real video and content 1 to 2 weeks into the campaign. First 3 days of kickstarter is your most important and they missed their boat . Should have looked at how other successful  indies did their campaigns before launching one.
  • TallynTallyn Member UncommonPosts: 217

Wow, I haven't heard or seen anything about this game for a while. I remember some alpha footage from a year or so ago and it seemed like the game had potential, but you couldn't really speculate much from what was available then.

Now with these new updates it looks like Burning Dog Media has gotten their sh*t together and will release a quality game with or without the new KickStarter funding. The no class restrictions look incredibly interesting and the flexible payment model is practically fail proof I'd say.

That is a shame about their failed KickStarter. Like Retired said, it would have done them heaps of good to learn from others. Hell, I didn't even know that it had one before now. This new one is chock full of good information however so I'm already itching to donate for the cause.

Thanks for the read and for bringing Origins of Malu back to my, and hopefully others', attention!

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    The saying that adding programmers to a late project makes it later seems relevant here.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

this looks really great, with a bit of a spooky touch, I like it.

Now checking out which tier on kickstarter gives me something nice...

• wjwatkinswjwatkins Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I played a pre-alpha of this about a year ago. It was a sandbox very little quest or direction which is fine. Odd alien avatars, was pretty smooth back then. I don't know how it has changed since then though. wjwatkins
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    The game looks great, but it's not looking too good for them to make the $60000 if it's only at like $1850 as they near the halfway point.
  • redbugredbug Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Originally posted by Retired
    Game looks like it's coming along nicely. Feel sorry for them as whoever did the kickstarter page screwed them pretty badly. One of the worse kickstarter presentations I have seen which is sad because the game looks kinda good. The first week of kickstarter is your most important, Origins had a kickstarter video that had zero gameplay scenes, no perks listed, hardly any information, no human talking in their video about how they need support, etc.  They could have made good money on kickstarter if they would have taken their time and done it right, not launch something half ass campaign to add a real video and content 1 to 2 weeks into the campaign. First 3 days of kickstarter is your most important and they missed their boat . Should have looked at how other successful  indies did their campaigns before launching one.

18 days for 60k is very doable. Get to play in june also. I want my GD Lobster Space Chicken!

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Sounds like this game has lost alot of momentum since its initial kickstarter campaign.....
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 542

The way housing is built looks just superb.

Overall style - a bit cartoonish. The question is - how much would it be.

Would I go for it?  Free option - yes (having only 2 lives does not count as an obstacle). PvP - harder for me, I'm very bad at this and do not wanna to be stomped to the ground by someone 20 levels higher.  Not sure about overall feel, would region A be warm and sunny, inviting to stay and drink some ale in local tavern; would region B be frosty with aurora borealis and would be region C mountainous, cold one?