Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Good guy devs

2»

Comments

• OriousOrious O''Fallon, ILPosts: 548Member

I played WS beta until 15 or so and uninstalled....but in my opinion they went above and beyond. For the "marketing" plug, this may make people who are on-the-fence purchase, but if you don't like the game this isn't going to help much. I believe this is more of the personality of the devs than anything else...and only because the devs have done such a good job with the game so far that the business people are even letting them waste time on other people (solid game eventhough it's not my type of mmo).

Anyways. Good for them. And good for Jennifer.

• SiphaedSiphaed Everywhere!Posts: 879Member Uncommon

This was a nice and great thing they did.    First let's clarify that they originally started a CONTEST that was meant to advertise their product while visiting a fan's house based on awesome tweets.   Then they found a fan who's son is going away for military service -on the same day as launch, no less- and her husband recently underwent surgery.   She won the contest and got the sweet swag for the game, and on top of that they got the word out for helping her husband's medical bills.  

To recap:  an already goings on Twitter publicity gets turned into a charity for a fan.

Carbine gets ???   Goose egg.  0.  Zero.  Zilch. Nada.  

They gave away their products, a PC, some swag AND spent money for airfare travel and room&board just to visit a fan and provide the service (as previously mentioned in this thread, they could have just as easily mailed it UPS/FedEx style).   This fan gets more on top of that by Carbine providing YouTube links to aid in her family's need with the surgery/medical bills.   It's give-give-give-give-give.   At most...at most Carbine gets a bit of lip service word-of-mouth advertisement for their product.  

Now let's turn to some of the comparisons to Blizzard's "charity" that have been brought up in this thread.    50%  What's that number?  That's how much of a cut Blizzard pockets while the other 50% goes to the Charity.   These 'special aide events' that they hold is nothing more than a shill for their cash shop for a new item that they can sell en mass.    They're not giving away any of their money that they already have, instead they're creating a mini item and giving away PART of the money that other people are purchasing that thing in hopes of charity's sake.   So, the players are donating while giving Blizzard money simultaneously and none the wiser that Blizzard isn't giving any of their own money to this Charity (unless they're doing a donate match, which I don't think they've done from what I've searched).  

• kanechartkanechart Barrie, ONPosts: 630Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Siphaed

This was a nice and great thing they did.    First let's clarify that they originally started a CONTEST that was meant to advertise their product while visiting a fan's house based on awesome tweets.   Then they found a fan who's son is going away for military service -on the same day as launch, no less- and her husband recently underwent surgery.   She won the contest and got the sweet swag for the game, and on top of that they got the word out for helping her husband's medical bills.  

To recap:  an already goings on Twitter publicity gets turned into a charity for a fan.

Carbine gets ???   Goose egg.  0.  Zero.  Zilch. Nada.  

They gave away their products, a PC, some swag AND spent money for airfare travel and room&board just to visit a fan and provide the service (as previously mentioned in this thread, they could have just as easily mailed it UPS/FedEx style).   This fan gets more on top of that by Carbine providing YouTube links to aid in her family's need with the surgery/medical bills.   It's give-give-give-give-give.   At most...at most Carbine gets a bit of lip service word-of-mouth advertisement for their product.  

Now let's turn to some of the comparisons to Blizzard's "charity" that have been brought up in this thread.    50%  What's that number?  That's how much of a cut Blizzard pockets while the other 50% goes to the Charity.   These 'special aide events' that they hold is nothing more than a shill for their cash shop for a new item that they can sell en mass.    They're not giving away any of their money that they already have, instead they're creating a mini item and giving away PART of the money that other people are purchasing that thing in hopes of charity's sake.   So, the players are donating while giving Blizzard money simultaneously and none the wiser that Blizzard isn't giving any of their own money to this Charity (unless they're doing a donate match, which I don't think they've done from what I've searched).  

This. People will NEVER EVER GET This. Blizzard might of donated a Million to charity...  But they pocket half of it.. They might as well be called scum of the earth for this... It's like me going around collecting money for Charity and taking half of it myself... The only work I did was design a fing pet... And it's worse then that.. Most people thought the mount/pet bundle means that it went 50% to charity... But it was ONLY THE PET gets 50%...

Blizzard Milked people so bad in the name of Charity. WildStar Devs not NCSoft. Not NCSoft level went to someone who has had nothing but issues. Her sign signup not to fight for his country because he and his family has no money no support nothing. WildStar Devs thought it be a wonderful way to make her happy and to show support for her cause. Yeah so what marketing. At least their not scamming. 

Check out Stardale http://stardale.net
    Inspired by Minecraft procedural generation and Terraria 2D gameplay we go even further with procedural generated space and exploration. Start with almost nothing and work your way to launching rockets, satellites and even yourself into space, where a whole new set of adventures awaits you!

• IfrianMMOIfrianMMO BarcelonaPosts: 212Member
    Originally posted by Copypasterino
    Idc some companies are marketing their game throwing money to build ridiculous chopper while other are juste being nice with fans. I made my choice.

BLIZZARD:

2010: Blizzard donates 1.1 million to Make-A-Wish Foundation

2011: Blizzard donates $800,000 to Make-A-Wish Foundation

2011: Blizzard donates 1.9 million to Japan earthquake (Red Cross)

2012: Blizzard donates $331,000 to St. Judes Children Hospital

2013: Blizzard donates 2.3 million to Sandy Relief (Red Cross)

2013: Blizzard donates close to 300.000$ to Children's Miracle Hospital.

2014: Blizzard donates 1 million to Make-A-Wish Foundation

It is also pathetic how you guys always come out to talk about that one time they only have 50% of the profits while conveniently ignoring how they gave 100% of the profits many other times, including to help the survivors and victims of super storm Sandy.

They have also personally helped dozens of cancer patients and sick kids both by making them a permanent part of the game or giving them plenty of gifts or even help to get better,  and know what? They did not make a YT video out of it.

But of course, you haters are too busy hating Blizzard to even have researched or noticed any of this and only care to pretend that Blizzard is the devil incarnate turned game company.

Your hate is literally pathetic.

2»