Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why not relaunch SWG pre-cu?

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by VengeSunsoar
    @dystopia that is true. I do think due top that mystique it would get a lot a people in the door. Whether they stayed is a different argument.

That is very true as well.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• mrBurns210mrBurns210 Member Posts: 114

The Disney corp is one of the stingiest  companies over IP. A recent example is how long the fan cut movie ( episodes 1-3 into a single movie called Star Wars: Turn To The Dark Side ) lasted online  not even a full 12hrs before taken down due to copyright nonsense.

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by Kopogero
    Originally posted by huntersam
    they don't have the code anymore , too many bugs in said code , I enjoyed my time in SWG but its time has passed

How can they not have the code? I have the physical copy of the game that's been sitting in my drawer taking dust for a decade. I'm also sure they have the patches with the bug fixes, but even without the bug fixes I didn't experience any major bugs through the SWG Pre-CU era.

They don't have ownership over the code any longer since it's tied to Disney, which they lost rights over. So they would have to cough up some heavy money to get it back running under them.

Yes, it's obvious that greed is one of the primary factors why us the gamers have been stripped from our right to enjoy something that we once PAID for. Beside greed, ignorance is the other obvious indicator, ignorance by Disney to cease the opportunity and greed is just blinding them. If they are indeed "greedy" they would allow the game to exist and then they can receive % from the revenue it generates, rather than receive nothing in the current state.

Asking a lump sum, which is from your opinion is again understandable risk and Disney should ask themself why would someone risk with cash on front? Disney probably is also not realistic with whatever sum they had in mind, which failed to seal the deal. So nobody is a winner like this in my opinion.

Again, the complexity and depth behind SWG clearly demonstrated that a lot of time and resources were invested to build such a game. Why abandon such investment?

• krimson89krimson89 Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by mrBurns210

The Disney corp is one of the stingiest  companies over IP. A recent example is how long the fan cut movie ( episodes 1-3 into a single movie called Star Wars: Turn To The Dark Side ) lasted online  not even a full 12hrs before taken down due to copyright nonsense.

That's a completely normal thing for a company to do. Those movies cost money and people are watching all 3 for free on youtube? I don't see where the problem is... I would have removed it if I was making the decisions at Disney as well.

• coorsguyscoorsguys Member Posts: 272
    Originally posted by Distopia
    Originally posted by coorsguys
    Because nobody played it back then and nobody will play it now.  Mostly nobody would touch it now because anytime a post mentions SWG it's almost guaranteed to be some bitter SWG vet who can't get on with his life years after a video game closed .  These bitter swg vets have destroyed any (not much was left) credibility swg had as a decent, ok, sub par mmo.  People who never played would not touch it with a ten foot pull because of the desperation and awkwardness these bitter swg vets bring to every conversation they mention swg. 

I disagree. TBH I think SWG-precu would do better now than it ever did given the right attention from SOE or whoever else was running it. The mystique surrounding the PRe-cu game is no secret at this point, there are plenty of peeps who have not experienced it that I bet would jump in head first to see what it was all about. WHat they'd find is a much deeper game than they're used to seeing today.

See the problem is the ones promoting or talking about swg tend to be the bitter desperate angry vets that have not accepted the fact the game closed. Unfortunately especially on this site these vocal vets have given the game and other non bitter vets a bad name.  The other issue is today's gamers are more into FREE and instant gratification.  Swg pre-cu or not with flop in this market .  
  • krimson89krimson89 Member Posts: 31
    Because nobody played it back then and nobody will play it now.  Mostly nobody would touch it now because anytime a post mentions SWG it's almost guaranteed to be some bitter SWG vet who can't get on with his life years after a video game closed .  These bitter swg vets have destroyed any (not much was left) credibility swg had as a decent, ok, sub par mmo.  People who never played would not touch it with a ten foot pull because of the desperation and awkwardness these bitter swg vets bring to every conversation they mention swg. 

I disagree. TBH I think SWG-precu would do better now than it ever did given the right attention from SOE or whoever else was running it. The mystique surrounding the PRe-cu game is no secret at this point, there are plenty of peeps who have not experienced it that I bet would jump in head first to see what it was all about. WHat they'd find is a much deeper game than they're used to seeing today.

See the problem is the ones promoting or talking about swg tend to be the bitter desperate angry vets that have not accepted the fact the game closed. Unfortunately especially on this site these vocal vets have given the game and other non bitter vets a bad name.  The other issue is today's gamers are more into FREE and instant gratification.  Swg pre-cu or not with flop in this market .  

I'm sorry but if anyone pulled anything negative from the nostalgic SWG vets reminiscing about their favorite game then there's something wrong with their heads. Seriously... No, they have not given SWG a bad name or themselves, and for you to think so is just freakin silly.

I don't exactly disagree with your assessments on SWG vets and their net presence over the years, it's actually very true. I tend to distance myself from that behavior as I don't agree with it.

I do disagree still that it would flop, that's my personal bias of course as I still think it's the best MMO I"ve ever played. It has many qualities lacking in today's games. The biggest hurdle would be the start of the game as it was pre-cu, there was no real direction, that's something that would need a bit of attention prior to release.

• GhabboGhabbo Member UncommonPosts: 263

Why do you need SWG pre-CU when you'll have H1Z1? image

/sarcasm off

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Vonatar
    Originally posted by Kopogero
    [mod edit]

As a game, in my opinion, it was mediocre. Combat was quite poorly designed and for a lot of professions led to one or two key ablities being all you needed. Stats and buffs were a total mess and unbalanced - fully buffed you could solo a Nightsister Elder. The planets, while large and beautiful in places, were also rather empty with the same assets used over and over and little variation. Missions were tedious credit grind and later on became only about destroying the lair to pick up the reward.

Those are my opinions on the game, yours may differ. However that's not to say the experience of playing the game back in 2003/4 wasn't epic. It was, but that had everything to do with the community and not the game mechanics.

[mod edit]

I partially agree with this. Though, I thought the combat was fine. Compared to all the other MMOs of the time it was more or less on par for quests and combat.

If the game were to be relaunched, it would almost instantly get get several hundred thousands of players who remember the community aspects of that game. The crafting (which is unmatched today), the cantinas, the housing, and the space expansion, are all still top notch.

What would need revisiting would be, combat, quests can be left as is, because let's be honest, no MMO has good questing without instancing everything, and that would destroy SWG. Maybe do dynamic events like GW2, but do them better.

And, the biggest change we'd need. No Jedi. The Jedi grind was one of the worst design ideas in MMO history, bar none. You either need to make it totally random chance, and put an expiration date on a Jedi so that everyone gets a turn (everyone would hate this), or don't have it at all. Jedi are supposed to be rare and powerful. By the end of pre NGE SWG, everyone knew how to get it, you just had to grind 6 months. The game because BH vs Jedi almost entirely. It was crap.

But with all these faults, it was still a batter MMO than almost any since then. It just had lots of room for improvement. But it isn't coming back, because Disney owns the rights, and they're not going to license that out without having to pay a massive sum of money.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    It's more than just reminiscing. It was constant continuous whining and demands. It wad annoying to constantly see thread after thread after thread for years and years by a few people over and over and over again.

So I think they also turned a lot of people off. We just get tired of constantly hearing them.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

The REAL answer is:

The deal with EA.

EA and Disney are the only publishers that can release Star Wars video games for the next decade.

Originally posted by krimson89

I'm sorry but if anyone pulled anything negative from the nostalgic SWG vets reminiscing about their favorite game then there's something wrong with their heads. Seriously... No, they have not given SWG a bad name or themselves, and for you to think so is just freakin silly.

I have to agree with him, not in regard to all vets of course, but there has been a fringe of bitter vets who do poison the well so to speak. They were pretty bad around here a few years ago, most moved to other sites though like RLMMO which doesn't exist anymore that I'm aware of ( or changed their names/accounts).

They were pretty much the reason behind the forum split because they kept attacking anything NGE related.

Originally posted by Xiaoki

The REAL answer is:

The deal with EA.

EA and Disney are the only publishers that can release Star Wars video games for the next decade.

That doesn't apply to online games.

• coorsguyscoorsguys Member Posts: 272

Haha ok buddy head on over to a Swtor thread it's littered with grown men crying about swg . Just read sng and some of the others post history it doesn't get anymore desperate, bitter and embarrassing then what they post about swg.  So for you to think otherwise well you must also be one of those bitter, desperate swg vets who can't get over a video game closing.  
  • kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237

Game didnt age well at all even when it was still running it did look like a old game not only gfx wise but also gameplay wise , dont even wanna imagine how bad it will be now . Also their game engine was realy piss poor same as eq 2 they will still not run decent on modern hardware because they thought at the time cpu speed would go up and up instead of multiple cores and even without all these reasons they cannot use the ip since their lease did end.

Originally posted by krea

Game didnt age well at all even when it was still running it did look like a old game not only gfx wise but also gameplay wise , dont even wanna imagine how bad it will be now . Also their game engine was realy piss poor same as eq 2 they will still not run decent on modern hardware because they thought at the time cpu speed would go up and up instead of multiple cores.

It's not so bad, won't say how I know :P, this is probably saying too much as it is.

The REAL answer is:

The deal with EA.

So, why not choose to release SWG as well? Where is the harm in that? I'm sure they can cut some deal with SOE (if SOE owns some rights to it, which doesn't seem to)

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

I'll just chime in to say, yeah, the "We don't have the code anymore..." excuse is a bunch of BS.

My company keeps a full backup of all EMAILS for 5 years, including an offsite mirror, and we are not a software company. Digital copies of all work product are kept permanently.

For a software company, their code is the most significant asset, both IP and monetary, the company has. Losing the code would be like throwing money away, and we know how much Smed loves a dollar.

Even a company with the history of incompetence that SOE does, would be utterly and galactically stupid to not have multiple back-ups of every build, patch, bug fix (not that SOE ever fixed many bugs with SWG) and change.

So, they have the code.

• kreakrea Member UncommonPosts: 237

For the person above that did reply to my post couldnt quote your post for some reason sorry , anyway when the game was live it already did feel /look aged maybe its a matter of taste .

• mrBurns210mrBurns210 Member Posts: 114
    Originally posted by mrBurns210

That's a completely normal thing for a company to do. Those movies cost money and people are watching all 3 for free on youtube? I don't see where the problem is... I would have removed it if I was making the decisions at Disney as well.

I have a major issue with IP in general ( this is not the forum for that ). The main point of bringing that up is it only lasted 12hrs online something like that would take a few weeks if ever for other companies. No other company is as aggressive as Disney.

A side note Disney reaps from public domain and never contributes (  whether one approves of IP, Disney is about as bad as it comes on this topic ).

For the person above couldnt quote your post for some reason sorry , anyway when the game was live it already did feel /look aged maybe its a matter of taste .

Point taken :)

Game didnt age well at all even when it was still running it did look like a old game not only gfx wise but also gameplay wise , dont even wanna imagine how bad it will be now . Also their game engine was realy piss poor same as eq 2 they will still not run decent on modern hardware because they thought at the time cpu speed would go up and up instead of multiple cores and even without all these reasons they cannot use the ip since their lease did end.

I enjoyed the graphics. They were if not the best 3d graphics I've seen in a MMO and with today's technology they can be easily improved further (look at WOW for example). And on the contrary the engine was also awesome since it allowed me to play the game smoothly on a "piss poor" hardware Pentium III 1000 Mhz with ATI Radeon 128 mb PRO card.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

The REAL answer is:

The deal with EA.

You honestly think Disney and SoE and EA are all going to play nice together?

SWTOR is BARELY alive, the launch of ANOTHER Star Wars MMO would destroy it, and EA would get pissed at Disney, and everything would go to shit.

Are you people seriously this short sighted?

Originally posted by DavisFlight

The REAL answer is:

The deal with EA.

SWTOR is BARELY alive, the launch of ANOTHER Star Wars MMO would destroy it, and EA would get pissed at Disney, and everything would go to shit.

I have no delusion that this would actually happen. I was just pointing out that EA doesn't hold the MMO rights to Star Wars exclusively like they do other game types.

Originally posted by DavisFlight

The REAL answer is:

The deal with EA.

If SWTOR would feel threatened and endangered it just further indicator that the game is not great enough to generate decent revenue. Beside both SWTOR and SWG-pre CU might have the same IP, but they are both completely different games by design and because of this they could co exist together.

This discussion has been closed.