Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Raptr Most Played PC Games April 2014

Comments

• KilrainKilrain Prineville, ORPosts: 684Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Chaosspeeder

I find it interesting that in the MMORPG genre three P2P games  in front of the first B2P game are listed.

There are no F2P MMORPGs on the list. 

swtor.

professional web programming and design.

• HokieHokie Vancouver Wa.Posts: 1,063Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Kilrain
    Originally posted by Chaosspeeder

I find it interesting that in the MMORPG genre three P2P games  in front of the first B2P game are listed.

There are no F2P MMORPGs on the list. 

swtor.

SWtOR isnt free to play. All you have to do is listen to the "freeloaders" whine about how its more of a "free extended trial". They all say it should be a true F2P MMO like Rift and Tera.

That and it does have a subscription.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• ZhirocZhiroc X, NHPosts: 220Member

All that you can say about stats from services like XFire and Rapr is that it measures the behavior of the users who use their client. Thus, it is a "self-selected polling" mechanism, and if you know much about polling, you know how fraught with error that is. So, these are interesting, but not necessary representative.

BTW, the "members" and "active members" stats on pages reflect how many of their users have joined that game's community, and I think "active" just relates to how many people use their client. It does not apparently mean that the member is playing the specific game. For example, one of their users listed as active has only played one game, and it's not TESO.

Since I found Raptr, one interesting thing one can do with their stats, since they don't show trendlines, is to look at the ratio of a game's weekly playtime vs their monthly. If that ratio is around 25% (or maybe 22%, if they count a month as 30 days rather than 28), then the previous week's play has been level as compared to the month overall. Thus, it gives a way to detect the current trend.

If you do that analysis with WoW and SWTOR, they are even to slightly declining (about 22%). Eve is slightly growing (around 26%). TESO is falling significantly (around 16%)--in the past week (how long I've been looking), its weekly playtime number has dropped about 23%, from 159K hrs to 136K, which explains why it's week/month ratio is at 16%. A week ago, it was at position 8 for the month, it is now at position 10. If it continues the same trend, by the end of the month it will be at approximately position 12 at around 700K hours of play.

The current #5 on the list has about 1600K hours of play, so if Apr was like that, that's how far TESO's number has fallen.

I might also point out that given how many people probably marathoned TESO after they first got it, even with level sub numbers, a drop is probably to be expected to some extent. So, it's hard to draw any hard conclusions with these numbers, but until it levels off, it certainly doesn't look great.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 1,930Member Common
    Originally posted by Azmodeus

Let's see what kind of spin the hate train can use on this one. 

*Making popcorn*

Too funny, Raptor is a joke to determine how well a game is doing.

Example:

World of Tanks has like 60 bazillion million trillion players and makes like almost 400 million or so a year.  Looking at raptor you would never know.

• DeddmeatDeddmeat StanwellPosts: 358Member Uncommon

I have a terrible habit of running wailing prison .. I get until level 4 in that then move on, now despite all the 'numbers plummetting' etc that people on here keep saying .. there are still a hell of alot of PLAYERS not NPCS who you will find everyday in the wailing prison.

• PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,289Member Uncommon

Here is the top 10 from Xfire (May 22nd)

<ol box="" "="">

Raptr sadly don't seem to publish theirs without downloading their software first.. and i have an issue with installing malware image

But in case wondering where ESO is on Xfire, its at 21.

And before anyone else adds that Xfire is also not a useful tool for gauging player numbers or interest in games, just as Raptr isnt, i totally agree, but it is funny even soimage

• fivorothfivoroth LondonPosts: 3,657Member Uncommon
    Raptr numbers mean just as much as xfire numbers. I will leave it to you to guess how much that is.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHPosts: 5,205Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Raptr numbers mean just as much as xfire numbers. I will leave it to you to guess how much that is.

How did you determine what Raptr numbers mean?

• cheyanecheyane Rome Posts: 3,002Member Uncommon
    That is good news for ESO fans. 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• AzmodeusAzmodeus MassachusettsPosts: 139Member Uncommon
    If it's good news for the ESO fans, is it bad new for the ESO hate train club? Hmm
      OMG I am Ancient!
  • MalaboogaMalabooga aadadaPosts: 1,542Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Azmodeus
    If it's good news for the ESO fans, is it bad new for the ESO hate train club? Hmm

On XFire its 21.

Is that bad news for ESO fans and good for hate train club? Hmm

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Boring, TXPosts: 1,171Member Uncommon
    PSA: League of Legends is still a part of the containment genre.
  • zymurgeistzymurgeist Pittsville, VAPosts: 5,211Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Robokapp

You read how the numbers are derived and immediately realize the obvious. They're sometimes interesting but never meaningful trivia.

What I find interesting is how high Diablo 3 is on those lists. It's a good game but that's not the sort of thing one would expect from it.

"Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause" ~Victor Hugo

• ohioastroohioastro Columbus, OHPosts: 439Member Uncommon

The numbers suggest that ESO is, at minimum, doing OK - if not setting the sales world on fire.  And it is dropping after launch in exactly the same way that all games of the genre do.  That's pretty much what you can say, and it's important largely because it dispels the fantasy that it is tanking in some dramatic way. 

We do know that people who view this as a competition want ammunition to taunt ESO fans; sorry, not there.

• ScotScot UKPosts: 5,757Member Uncommon

"It does make one wonder if the game will remain as popular as GW2 when it's been out as long."

Only if I wanted to compare the long term sustainability of a P2P MMo to a B2P MMO. You might as well compare TESO to the popularity of 'free' F2P MMOs if you are going to do that.

• rodingorodingo Posts: 2,346Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ohioastro

The numbers suggest that ESO is, at minimum, doing OK - if not setting the sales world on fire.  And it is dropping after launch in exactly the same way that all games of the genre do.  That's pretty much what you can say, and it's important largely because it dispels the fantasy that it is tanking in some dramatic way. 

We do know that people who view this as a competition want ammunition to taunt ESO fans; sorry, not there.

We also know that people who view this as a competition want ammunition to taunt non-ESO fans as well.  Sorry, it's there.  *points to the OP on page 1*

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• loulakiloulaki PatrasPosts: 918Member
    is Warframe so popular ?

• ohioastroohioastro Columbus, OHPosts: 439Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by rodingo

We also know that people who view this as a competition want ammunition to taunt non-ESO fans as well.  Sorry, it's there.  *points to the OP on page 1*

People who really hate this game keep bringing up the subscription number business.  He posted this as a specific response to numerous threads started, by people (like you), who really really really hate this game and want to talk it down.  I've seen those threads, you've seen them, and we both know who is responsible for starting the vast majority of them.

• MalviousMalvious Knoxville, TNPosts: 207Member Uncommon
    Raptr LOL

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

• rodingorodingo Posts: 2,346Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by rodingo

People who really hate this game keep bringing up the subscription number business.  He posted this as a specific response to numerous threads started, by people (like you), who really really really hate this game and want to talk it down.  I've seen those threads, you've seen them, and we both know who is responsible for starting the vast majority of them.

I don't "hate" ESO.  I'm just disappointed with it and will discuss the various critiques I have on this third-party site because I can.  If you don't like it, then stick to the official forums becuase you won't see me there. Besides, bcbully and I have been going back and forth with him showing his "facts" and me disputing them with my "facts" on these forums across various games for a lot longer than your current registered account.  I know he can speak for himself on why he posted it and doesn't need some random forum poster (like you) to stick up for him.  He's a big boy.  I'm sure your going to counter to say that you have been participating here at MMORPG.com for many years.  The next time you start throwing rocks, make sure everyone on your side don't live in glass houses.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• fivorothfivoroth LondonPosts: 3,657Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Robokapp

Based on a highly scientific equation based method of course!

Just as people dismiss xfire numbers as not a good enough indicator, so do I dismiss raptr numbers. I have never used the application and don't know anyone that uses it. So I don't care about bloatware programmes like raptr. They add 0 value to gaming other than tracking your game time and wasting valuable space on your computer.

It's still some indication of which games are popular though. You can see all the games you might imagine are the most popular at the top.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Austin, TXPosts: 120Member
    You would have installed it.  You get to play for points and the points add up to buy gear, all while being tracked.  Yay!

Had it installed for about 10 minutes.  Supposedly it can detect great settings to make you games look even more amazing, but I found it to be the total opposite.

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• syriinxsyriinx New York, NYPosts: 1,059Member Uncommon
    Raptr and xfire are somewhat useful for population trends within a game.  they are completely irrelevant when comparing overall game population.
  • TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,197Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Scot

"It does make one wonder if the game will remain as popular as GW2 when it's been out as long."

Only if I wanted to compare the long term sustainability of a P2P MMo to a B2P MMO. You might as well compare TESO to the popularity of 'free' F2P MMOs if you are going to do that.

Does the payment model matter? I thought people played games and the payment model was irrelevant? If you did want to compare GW2 made half again as much as EVE ($100M to $70M respectively) with TOR making ($140M) almost half again as much as GW2.

What I saw is that on both xfire and raptr is that GW2 is still very popular, logging a lot of hours and ranking in the top of the charts in both services. ESO has been directly compared to GW2 in both pve and pvp. It made me wonder if ESO will remain as popular a year or two down the road.

Originally posted by zymurgeist

What I find interesting is how high Diablo 3 is on those lists. It's a good game but that's not the sort of thing one would expect from it.

This surprised me as well. This is also consistent with the Korean and SEA gamer charts which measure hours played in a week a lot more accurately than here. D3 is in the top 5 and above WoW. I don't think it has dethroned LoL or FIFA there, but it's trying. This link is helpful (use Chrome to translate): http://www.gamenote.com/rank_ongame/ . I wish we had some better stats for NA and the EU.

• RosenthorneRosenthorne AdelaidePosts: 93Member Uncommon

I think that on both lists, you would need to eliminate the first person shooter games for them to have any meaning...

You cant for example compare World of Tanks, Minecraft, Battlefield 4 and ESO..thats just dumb, they are not the same genres and attract a very different demographic.