Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raptr Most Played PC Games April 2014

Comments

• DeddmeatDeddmeat Member UncommonPosts: 387

I have a terrible habit of running wailing prison .. I get until level 4 in that then move on, now despite all the 'numbers plummetting' etc that people on here keep saying .. there are still a hell of alot of PLAYERS not NPCS who you will find everyday in the wailing prison.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Here is the top 10 from Xfire (May 22nd)

<ol box="" "="">

Raptr sadly don't seem to publish theirs without downloading their software first.. and i have an issue with installing malware image

But in case wondering where ESO is on Xfire, its at 21.

And before anyone else adds that Xfire is also not a useful tool for gauging player numbers or interest in games, just as Raptr isnt, i totally agree, but it is funny even soimage

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Raptr numbers mean just as much as xfire numbers. I will leave it to you to guess how much that is.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    That is good news for ESO fans. 
    Chamber of Chains
  • AzmodeusAzmodeus Member UncommonPosts: 268
    If it's good news for the ESO fans, is it bad new for the ESO hate train club? Hmm
      OMG I am Ancient!
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by Azmodeus
    If it's good news for the ESO fans, is it bad new for the ESO hate train club? Hmm

On XFire its 21.

Is that bad news for ESO fans and good for hate train club? Hmm

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    PSA: League of Legends is still a part of the containment genre.
  • ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534

The numbers suggest that ESO is, at minimum, doing OK - if not setting the sales world on fire.  And it is dropping after launch in exactly the same way that all games of the genre do.  That's pretty much what you can say, and it's important largely because it dispels the fantasy that it is tanking in some dramatic way. 

We do know that people who view this as a competition want ammunition to taunt ESO fans; sorry, not there.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955

"It does make one wonder if the game will remain as popular as GW2 when it's been out as long."

Only if I wanted to compare the long term sustainability of a P2P MMo to a B2P MMO. You might as well compare TESO to the popularity of 'free' F2P MMOs if you are going to do that.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by ohioastro

The numbers suggest that ESO is, at minimum, doing OK - if not setting the sales world on fire.  And it is dropping after launch in exactly the same way that all games of the genre do.  That's pretty much what you can say, and it's important largely because it dispels the fantasy that it is tanking in some dramatic way. 

We do know that people who view this as a competition want ammunition to taunt ESO fans; sorry, not there.

We also know that people who view this as a competition want ammunition to taunt non-ESO fans as well.  Sorry, it's there.  *points to the OP on page 1*

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    is Warframe so popular ?

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    Originally posted by rodingo

We also know that people who view this as a competition want ammunition to taunt non-ESO fans as well.  Sorry, it's there.  *points to the OP on page 1*

People who really hate this game keep bringing up the subscription number business.  He posted this as a specific response to numerous threads started, by people (like you), who really really really hate this game and want to talk it down.  I've seen those threads, you've seen them, and we both know who is responsible for starting the vast majority of them.

• MalviousMalvious Member UncommonPosts: 218
    Raptr LOL

Fine, we'll compromise. I'll get my way & you'll find a way to be okay with that.

People who really hate this game keep bringing up the subscription number business.  He posted this as a specific response to numerous threads started, by people (like you), who really really really hate this game and want to talk it down.  I've seen those threads, you've seen them, and we both know who is responsible for starting the vast majority of them.

I don't "hate" ESO.  I'm just disappointed with it and will discuss the various critiques I have on this third-party site because I can.  If you don't like it, then stick to the official forums becuase you won't see me there. Besides, bcbully and I have been going back and forth with him showing his "facts" and me disputing them with my "facts" on these forums across various games for a lot longer than your current registered account.  I know he can speak for himself on why he posted it and doesn't need some random forum poster (like you) to stick up for him.  He's a big boy.  I'm sure your going to counter to say that you have been participating here at MMORPG.com for many years.  The next time you start throwing rocks, make sure everyone on your side don't live in glass houses.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by fivoroth
    Raptr numbers mean just as much as xfire numbers. I will leave it to you to guess how much that is.

How did you determine what Raptr numbers mean?

Based on a highly scientific equation based method of course!

Just as people dismiss xfire numbers as not a good enough indicator, so do I dismiss raptr numbers. I have never used the application and don't know anyone that uses it. So I don't care about bloatware programmes like raptr. They add 0 value to gaming other than tracking your game time and wasting valuable space on your computer.

It's still some indication of which games are popular though. You can see all the games you might imagine are the most popular at the top.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• p4ttythep3rf3ctp4ttythep3rf3ct Member UncommonPosts: 194
    You would have installed it.  You get to play for points and the points add up to buy gear, all while being tracked.  Yay!

Had it installed for about 10 minutes.  Supposedly it can detect great settings to make you games look even more amazing, but I found it to be the total opposite.

That's just, like, my opinion, man.

• syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Raptr and xfire are somewhat useful for population trends within a game.  they are completely irrelevant when comparing overall game population.
  • RosenthorneRosenthorne Member UncommonPosts: 94

I think that on both lists, you would need to eliminate the first person shooter games for them to have any meaning...

You cant for example compare World of Tanks, Minecraft, Battlefield 4 and ESO..thats just dumb, they are not the same genres and attract a very different demographic.

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Most of us here KNOW that Raptr should be taken with a grain of salt.  That being said, it's an overall OK indicator for relative play.  And for their launch, those aren't particularly great numbers.  Next months will be VERY telling.  

I know I've left the game over their various snafus.  Frankly, after hearing the horror stories of this latest patch.. I'm laughing because I FINALLY made the right decision of WHEN to ditch a game.  

I hope WS holds me, and worst case I'll eyeball ESO again in 6-10 months.  Maybe never again (shrug).  There was some inherent flaws in the BASIC design that I take issue with.  But I take MORE issue in launching a game where the MAIN QUEST is bugged to the point of blocking progress.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    that Raptr chart shows ESO has slightly more people playing than Counter Strike: Global Offensive. On http://steamcharts.com/ CS:GO shows peak number of current players at about 150-200k players. That does not sound very healthy for ESO. Unless im looking at that chart wrong.... Plus thats only Raptr players on that chart so....

Last week, if you checked the "Top Games Being Played by Everyone" on Raptr and filtered it by the week you would have seen ESO sitting about  10 and GW2 at about 13.  Now GW2 is still at 13 and ESO has fallen to 16.  That was a lot faster than I expected.  I predicted it would have taken ESO at least a 2 to 3 weeks to drop below GW2 but instead it did it in 1.  The only reason I mention GW2 is because a certain someone here really doesn't like GW2 and usually brings it up in a lot of his posts.  image

Just some harmless fun jabs and I hope he realizes it.

• ZhirocZhiroc Member UncommonPosts: 220

Comparisons between games of different "playstyles" on Raptr probably isn't very relevant. As someone pointed out, World of Tanks has a huge playerbase, yet only ranks around 10th, probably because many might play a match or two, unlike an MMO that you tend to live in a lot.

What is more interesting is probably the trending of a given game. As we know from the article, TESO was ranked 5th for April. As it stands, it is now ranked 11th, and I'd estimate that with the current trend, it'll drop to 12th by the end of May. Since I began tracking stats for it and a few other games on 5/15, it has dropped about 32K hrs in weekly playtime, or about 20%. If you take the ratio of the weekly playtime to monthly, it currently sits at about 16%, meaning that the last week is underperforming the average over the past month by about 6-9% (depending on whether Raptr considers a month to be 28 or 30 days).

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Last week, if you checked the "Top Games Being Played by Everyone" on Raptr and filtered it by the week you would have seen ESO sitting about  10 and GW2 at about 13.  Now GW2 is still at 13 and ESO has fallen to 16.  That was a lot faster than I expected.  I predicted it would have taken ESO at least a 2 to 3 weeks to drop below GW2 but instead it did it in 1.  The only reason I mention GW2 is because a certain someone here really doesn't like GW2 and usually brings it up in a lot of his posts.  image

This week ESO has fallen to 24 on Xfire, which for reference, SW;TOR is at 16, and GW2 is at 9, but GW2 is a solid game, and sub free, it must be doing something right anyway, as Wildstar has pretty much copied GW2's combat mechanics image

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by Phry

This week ESO has fallen to 24 on Xfire, which for reference, SW;TOR is at 16, and GW2 is at 9, but GW2 is a solid game, and sub free, it must be doing something right anyway, as Wildstar has pretty much copied GW2's combat mechanics image

Yeah not so much. It may have action combat, but WS has the trinity and defined roles. Try harder.....

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Originally posted by Phry

Yeah not so much. It may have action combat, but WS has the trinity and defined roles. Try harder.....

Yeh I wouldn't say WS copies GW2 combat either.  WS seems more MOBA based, kind of like a slower paced version of  SMITE.  Except in SMITE (which is pure skill based PVP), you can't see most of the enemy telegraphs which is how I wish they handled PVP in WS.