Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Zenimax to Oculus: Misappropriation of Trade Secrets

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Zenimax has officially filed a lawsuit claiming 'misappropriation of trade secrets' against Oculus VR. Polygon ferreted out a copy of the filing that alleges Oculus "wrongfully taken ... ZeniMax['s] intellectual property and commercially exploited it for their own gain." 

In the suit, ZeniMax officials say that the company has for many years invested "tens of millions of dollars" in research and development into, among other things, virtual reality and immersive technologies. Carmack, according to the suit, also conducted research to address technological issues associated with virtual reality.

Read the rest at the link above.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I'm loving this!  I expect numerous threads arguing back and forth from people who have no idea about the legal niceties of this case.  Bring it on!
  • Roman291Roman291 Member UncommonPosts: 104
    I hope this doesn't lead to taking resources away from Eso.
  • darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    I hope Zenimax loses as they been harassing people left and right recently this year and last year.

• DartoxerDartoxer Member UncommonPosts: 15
    I highly recommend changing the picture. Since I'm pretty sure it's Zenimax Media who filed that lawsuit and not ZOS.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

There is some funny facts here.Years and tens of millions then Carmack.I respect Carmack but he has not been with Zeni max that long.

The way it looks is yes maybe they did come to them to ask for help in promoting it,that is believable but does not warrant any law suit.It appears that the Zeni max side of things was for thEIR own personal gain,they wanted the Rift to be a better version for THEIR Doom game,that does NOT mean they were trying to invest into the technological advancements of Occulus Rift,just they wanted THEIR product to be better and more marketable.

I see this law suit being as vible as if Occulus sued Zeni for using the RIFT to help promote THEIR product"Doom BFG",which is EXACTLY what Zeni did.

Now the dead give away as to who is the liar.Does ANYONE believe for one second that IF Zeni invested multi millions in this field with NO product of their own would agree to a simple 2%?

No frigging way,if i developed as Zeni claims the majority of the technical side that makes the product viable i would not be asking for 2% but more like 50+%.

What this looks like is Zeni was jealous ,both sides tried to work a deal to SHARE in it all but Zeni was too greedy and it fell through.So then when Occulus Rift started to hire Zeni employees,Zeni's lawyers informed them there was a chance at a law suit.

The FACTS we do know is that there WAS a product ,the RIFT,weather it was fully viable is not fact but Zeni's opinion.We KNOW Zeni was using that so called non viable product to HELP promote the Doom BFG edition,so far i see it Zeni is the true culprit of using someone else's product to promote their own game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591

I'm sure all the Armchair Lawyer's will be crawling on out of the woodwork.

One thing that I am sure of is:

That there isn't enough reliable information floating around the internet to make any kind of judgement or informed opinion that is worth a piece of poop.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by laserit

I'm sure all the Armchair Lawyer's will be crawling on out of the woodwork.

One thing that I am sure of is:

That there isn't enough reliable information floating around the internet to make any kind of judgement or informed opinion that is worth a piece of poop.

Exactly... which makes Wizardry's post all the more hilarious.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• RebellonRebellon Member Posts: 49
    How in the world can Zenimax claim Oculus rift as their creation it probably would have had so many bugs to begin with. Try fixing the mess that is called ESS (Elders Scroll Solo)
  • SeelinnikoiSeelinnikoi Member RarePosts: 1,360
    Originally posted by Roman291
    I hope this doesn't lead to taking resources away from Eso.

What resources?!

*badum tsss*

If you are a Star Wars fan, why not try the Star Wars The Old Republic?
    New players can get a welcome package and old/returning players can also get a welcome back package and 7 days free subscription time! Just click here to use my referral invitation
  • Geebus80Geebus80 Member Posts: 92

Throw this bullshit out and fine zenimax for misuse of the legal system.

They dont say a word when it gets kickstarted, becomes a sensation and only when facebook buys them they go after it? What an obvious money grab from an obviously immoral company.

Zenimax, the newest edition to my boycott list.

• strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Originally posted by Geebus80

They dont say a word when it gets kickstarted, becomes a sensation and only when facebook buys them they go after it? What an obvious money grab from an obviously immoral company.

I hope OR losses, Karma for being the sellouts they are. Note, don't bring in consultants when they are still in the employ of a mutlimedia company.... 

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621

I boycotted them after the first month of Eso. I dono about lawsuits, but ethier way it's just rich bastards so I could care less.

• hatefulpeacehatefulpeace Member UncommonPosts: 621
    Originally posted by strykr619

I hope OR losses, Karma for being the sellouts they are. Note, don't bring in consultants when they are still in the employ of a mutlimedia company.... 

If there was really karma we would all be dead........

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Originally posted by strykr619

Sellouts...??? Are you really so delusional that you think that the money they got from the kickstarter would be enough to get them anywhere beyond the prototype stage...?

There was never a question that they would get bought... The question was just who would do it and in those kinds of deals the biggest checkbook always speak. (unless ofc the company is in the market of selling crack cocain to puppies)

The second part of the post is pretty sound advice on the other hand. Always make a iron-clad before bringing in consultants that potentially can be a violation of a non-competitor clause... Then again it is Carmac, i am pretty sure he thinks such petty things like the laws of men.. or gravity... apply to him. =P

This have been a good conversation

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Ragnar1337
    [mod edit]

Gamer logic strikes with 10,000+ damage... ESO is one title, good or bad it doesn't equate an entire franchise as tarnished. BTW It is a multiplayer game....

Gotta love how one bad game ( if it is really bad) can bring a company down in such a way. TES games are some of the best RPG's around today IMO, I couldn't care less how ESO does, either way it won't change that.

Also gotta love VR fans running to defend OR sights unseen, facts unknown... Mostly fueled by the above reasoning I suspect, ZOS put out an MMO they didn't enjoy.

Now back to reality... Who knows who has a case or lack there of here, certainly no one here.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827

You guys don't get out much do you? News almost a month old....
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/411735
    What couldn't figure out how to get animated cleavage on the news ticker?

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by darkedone02
    I hope Zenimax loses as they been harassing people left and right recently this year and last year.

What if they have a legitimate complaint?  Should they just lose on principle or something?

You make me like charity

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by BMBender

Actually, that is from when they stated their intention to sue.  It's hitting the circuit again today, and considered news, because they actually sued (filed the papers and such).  Shit just got real, so to speak.

You make me like charity

• HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by BMBender

Did you even RTFA?

Zenimax has filed suit. Oculus has also responded saying they will fight it. Here is another link: http://kotaku.com/zenimax-sues-oculus-1579689844

Zeni thinks they have a solid suit or they probably wouldn't have filed. Oculus thinks they're right or they would have settled by now. I think we'll see something like the latest Apple versus Samsung where they both won some of their points and lost others. It will be costly.

Yeah, I have this feeling that Zeni will be able to solidly back some of those allegations, but not all. Which is why Occulus is saying no we wont budge.

Id almost bet it doesnt even get that far into litigation before they come to some kind of agreement.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

Originally posted by asmkm22

Originally posted by BMBender You guys don't get out much do you? News almost a month old.... http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/411735 What couldn't figure out how to get animated cleavage on the news ticker?
    Actually, that is from when they stated their intention to sue.  It's hitting the circuit again today, and considered news, because they actually sued (filed the papers and such).  Shit just got real, so to speak.
    As an update to an existing story sure; Zem said they intended to pursue legal action in back early May. A story by the WSJ, witch most game rags carried (except MMORPG). This story is merely a "yup they did it like they said they would" not something out of the blue like MMORPG is presenting it as.

Nevermind I retract my earlier statements MMORPG did carry the original story; musta missed it. http://www.mmorpg.com/newsroom.cfm/loadNews/31031

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    It looks to me like Zenimax have sealed their own fate. Whether they win the case, which is extremely doubtful, or not, they will forever be perceived now as a dodgy company, whether this in turn will hurt Bethesda, remains to be seen. But one thing for sure, for Zenimax, it really is all downhill from here, it doesn't matter how much pressure their investors are putting on them to recoup their money, some things just never get forgiven, nor forgotten. They gambled and failed and now they try this.image
  • MilanderMilander Member UncommonPosts: 178

What if they have a legitimate complaint?  Should they just lose on principle or something?

If they had a legitimate complaint they should have made it after the kickstarter (or during) or maybe when the grape vine started buzzing with the FB purchase...Not long after the purchase happens and the dust settles.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Milander

If they had a legitimate complaint they should have made it after the kickstarter (or during) or maybe when the grape vine started buzzing with the FB purchase...Not long after the purchase happens and the dust settles.

That was before ESO failed though, now they have investors with 'issues' to deal with. Money changes everything.image

• RollgunnerRollgunner Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Originally posted by Milander

They were asking for compensation via a formal business agreement two days after the Kickstarter campaign started, which was pretty reasonable since according to the ZeniMax contract signed by Oculus, Oculus was not allowed to publicly use the hardware and software that they developed together without each others' consent, which Oculus did in the video for the Kickstarter campaign.