Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Concerned about people driving cost of games up.

holyneoholyneo Member UncommonPosts: 154

I been reading on people getting the Founder pack for Archeage just to get in the Alpha.  I am concern that people are chasing the next big game will cause the prices of games to increase.  I understand wanting to get in a Alpha to play a new game, TRUST ME I DO.  I notice Transformers Online has a package for $450.00 as well

https://www.transformersuniverse.com/founders-pack

Over time I have realize I get in a bad habit to always want the next best thing and don't do it as much like buying a videocard/Cpu.  We see now how GPU prices have skyrocketed.  I see people doing the same thing with games and I am concerned about this driving up the cost of games in the future.  Was curious about what others think about it.

If you don't have anything good to say, or can't stand post like this...feel free to skip this post and go to another

I had to repost this topic due to admin not reading my post previously and locked it.

Comments

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Simple answer to this is perspective. How many people bought the Archeage alpha? Take a step back and you'll see the tiny tiny percentage of people who do this in comparrison to everybody else.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Simple answer to this is perspective. How many people bought the Archeage alpha? Take a step back and you'll see the tiny tiny percentage of people who do this in comparrison to everybody else.

+1

The price of most mmos these days is free. The cost to enjoy most of them is still around $15/month.  early access people are still the same beta people as before they just have to pay to be there now. Many of them are bored with the game by the time it launches anyway.

• holyneoholyneo Member UncommonPosts: 154

Its not just with Archeage. Look at games like Wildstar and Elder Scrolls Online and others.  It starts small like $74.99 and now we are seeing 150 and 450.00

If companies are increasing the costs, there must be a demand.  I wouldn't have a problem with $$$ amount if the quality increased as well.  I am not seeing the quality  lately since alot of games still seem like beta a pond release lately.  Wildstar being the exception(because its in beta still)

• IggunsIgguns Member UncommonPosts: 71

I agree with you.  We the consumers are completely on the loosing end of any sort of fight to maintain fair market value regarding games.  Companies have people way smarter than me the average Joe studying markets.  Companies will always go for maximum profits.  This is fine with me, I believe 100% in the free market.  If too many people are willing to pay inflated prices for a product, the price (not the value) of the product will rise.  I have no legitimate economics education/experience but this all seems like common sense.  I don't know what the future holds but I hope it remains fair for both the producers and the consumers.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I expect $200+ will soon be the standard price for early access in the near future.  It is not a good sign when gamers are paying $150 to alpha test a game already made. 
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818
    Originally posted by holyneo

Its not just with Archeage. Look at games like Wildstar and Elder Scrolls Online and others.  It starts small like $74.99 and now we are seeing 150 and 450.00

If companies are increasing the costs, there must be a demand.  I wouldn't have a problem with $$$ amount if the quality increased as well.  I am not seeing the quality  lately since alot of games still seem like beta a pond release lately.  Wildstar being the exception(because its in beta still)

then don't pay it ?

Developers can only charge what they think they can get for something. If there are no buyers upping the price wont make you more money. So it isn't just them that inflate the cost, it's the demand for a limited supply that does it.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

Funny thing... I purchased Ultima V at Electronics Boutique in Queens, NY back in 1988 and it was $50 for the C64...

Game prices have remained the same for decades until recent where the Steam and electronic distribution revolution drove prices down...

I am surprised modern games aren't $250+ considering inflation.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

It is like anything else, if the consumer is willing to pay the price, then the company will charge it. The answer is very simple, if you don't want to pay that much...DON'T. If the companies do not make money at it, the prices will come down again.

Let's party like it is 1863!

Originally posted by Wighty

Funny thing... I purchased Ultima V at Electronics Boutique in Queens, NY back in 1988 and it was $50 for the C64...

Game prices have remained the same for decades until recent where the Steam and electronic distribution revolution drove prices down...

I am surprised modern games aren't $250+ considering inflation.

In Indiana it was 14.99 at Aimes and Target for me.

• CrusadesCrusades Member Posts: 480
    just give up - keep your money - the games aren't worth it.
  • BruhzaBruhza Member UncommonPosts: 391

I think you are overreacting. The $74.99 for Wildstar is a Digital Deluxe Edition and is not even needed to play the game. The game itself is like $60 or something (Which is average...for like the last 10 years)

Heck, people begged them to even make a Collectors Edition of the game with physical items but the devs said it was to late to begin such a process. 

TL:DR - Giving the customer more options on what they want is not a bad thing. If anything, Wildstar is closer to an old-school setup rather than a new expensive one. They didn't even let people buy their way into closed beta/alpha.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Crusades

Most of the time, I think you are correct. I have blown to much money on bad games.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

I'm not insulting WS, they been working on the game for 9 years.   Look at ESO, (as an example)you had to buy the

Digital Imperial Edition to get to Play as an Imperial.  To me personally the game was released too early IMO.  I think if they waited to refine the game and stomp out a lot of bugs.  ESO would have had a different outcome when released.  I was kinda turned off by the about of problem when it released, it felt like beta still.  With the improved released at launch I may have given more money to purchase the DIE and played as Imperial.  Trust me I wanted to love ESO, but the way things are in the current state, I just couldn't throw $75 dollars at it.

I guess what I am saying, I wish they would have put the time in it like they did in WS.  I would feel better about my purchase.  ESO felt like a lot of promises to get the demand up, and then didn't deliver.  Kinda felt rushed.

• redbug1redbug1 Member Posts: 21
    What's really lame is that AA isn't even a new game.
    Originally posted by strawhat0981

Most of the time, I think you are correct. I have blown to much money on bad games.

Wouldn't say give up,  just people need to hold on to there money to drive up quality instead of price.  Some games are worth it.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by strawhat0981

Wouldn't say give up,  just people need to hold on to there money to drive up quality instead of price.  Some games are worth it.

so you don't think people spending their money, a more than a usual amount, for a game that is far more sandboxy than many games released in the past several years, won't send a message to developers that players are more than willing to spend "good money" on more unique games?

Players spending their money on quality or even just "different" drives up quality (or different).

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Only if they delver on there promise.  I would pay 75 on archeage, but 150 is way too much, 450 on Transformers is insane.  If I paid 450 on a game, it better have a bonus Videocard with Optimus Prime on it. lol

Your assuming Archeage will deliver on its promise.  Time will tell.  What about people that play CoD or Battlefield?  You think they aren't paying attention? Would anyone put down $150-$450 to be in the next alpha?  I'm not just talking about MMO's, I'm talking about all games.

• CabalocCabaloc Member Posts: 116
    I remember back around 1979 maybe 1980, pack of smokes was 75 cents from a vending machine ( where those go ?) now there 8 bucks a pack on average in Florida. Everything goes up eventually .
    Originally posted by Cabaloc
    I remember back around 1979 maybe 1980, pack of smokes was 75 cents from a vending machine ( where those go ?) now there 8 bucks a pack on average in Florida. Everything goes up eventually .

Government got involved.  Just wait till they start saying Video games are causing mass murders and start regulating it, can only guess what the games will cost then.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

People can buy extra stuff or they can get the standard edition for $60, just like always.  Adjusting for inflation since any time in the past, games are far cheaper now than they've ever been.  Especially if you have Steam and don't buy games when they are brand new. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by lizardbones

People can buy extra stuff or they can get the standard edition for $60, just like always.  Adjusting for inflation since any time in the past, games are far cheaper now than they've ever been.  Especially if you have Steam and don't buy games when they are brand new. :-)

Good point, I was only  gonna get the standard edition of Wildstar.  After I got a 25% off on it, I went ahead and got the deluxe edition.  Who doesn't want a rocket house :P

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

Games aren’t free, they aren’t even meant to be free.  If you enjoy a game you are expected to pay for your enjoyment.  Problem is there are gamers who expect not to pay for their enjoyment ever.  I call these people, free gamers (in lower case to signify their low status).

A game even a F2P game is made with the intent of generating revenue from the use of the product or service.  When the use of the product or service is not paid for, this is Theft of Service.

A Team starts to make a game, and begins to accumulate costs.  The Team must find ways to pay these costs (Bills).  To pay these Bills they sell the only thing of some value they have, access to the game under development.  They charge a premium price to control who has access to the under development product.  I would suppose, only people who understand the development process, and a Non-Disclosure Agreement would pay this premium.

The next thing that will drive up the cost of games is the number of free gamers playing them.  Lets say the Team releases their game.  They have 100.000 people play and they expect everyone to pay 5.  They expect to make 500.000 per month, but only 10.000 people spent any money on the game.  So next month they now expect 10.000 Paying Customers to spend between 50 or 30 per person.  Those 90.000 non-paying free gamers are the fault for the price of games going up.  Blame no one but free gamers.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

You're talking about collectors edition type stuff.  Those things never have anything to do with actual game value.  Anyway, most collectors edition items are almost always a bad idea unless you're ok with paying 20 bucks for a pet or something.  The one exception for me was Vanilla WoW's collector's edition.  I actually bought 4 of them when it was released, intending to resell later (I was able to buy them at "cost" where I worked at the time).  Long story short, I ended up holding on to them until mid-cataclysm, and sold them locally for 2k each.

You make me like charity

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Yeah, I remember $80 cartridge games for the SNES and Sega Genesis back in the early 90's.  That would be like paying $135 for a new game today (and not any special packaging or edition either).

You make me like charity

• DeathsmindDeathsmind Member UncommonPosts: 185

I been reading on people getting the Founder pack for Archeage just to get in the Alpha.  I am concern that people are chasing the next big game will cause the prices of games to increase.  I understand wanting to get in a Alpha to play a new game, TRUST ME I DO.  I notice Transformers Online has a package for $450.00 as well

https://www.transformersuniverse.com/founders-pack

Over time I have realize I get in a bad habit to always want the next best thing and don't do it as much like buying a videocard/Cpu.  We see now how GPU prices have skyrocketed.  I see people doing the same thing with games and I am concerned about this driving up the cost of games in the future.  Was curious about what others think about it.

If you don't have anything good to say, or can't stand post like this...feel free to skip this post and go to another

I had to repost this topic due to admin not reading my post previously and locked it.

For the most part games have stuck around the $50-60 range. Getting upgraded versions have been around for awhile now. If you dont want the upgraded versions buy the regular version for $50-60. Almost the same price for the past 15 years. You cant say that about many products now a days. 

You are really just over exaggerating . Expecially complaining about how much Free games cost. Where can you enjoy something for hundreds of hours without spending a dime?