Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] The Secret World: A TSW Wish List

2»

Comments

• HeafstaggHeafstagg Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Combat changes would be my first wish. I found the combat to be pretty stale and repetitive. My second wish would be better optimization. I can barely run it anymore, I could run it better at release than I can now.

• ShazPurShazPur Member UncommonPosts: 47

Actually the group content is the blandest part of the TSW experience. Just the same prechoreographed bossfights with predefined character roles that should have been abandoned in games ten years ago. There aren't words in the English language that let me describe how much I really loathe trinity combat.

The settings and atmosphere in the dungeons are nice and you want to play through them for this, but it really really hurts to grind them.

So I approach the game much as a solo game where it is brilliant and apart from doing the NY raid that I do twice a week for social reasons I tend to only do groupcontent when I'm desperate for a toolkit or something else unattainable any other way.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by JustARandomPanda

Good list and I agree those additions would be a great improvement. Bylos has said there are going to be more frequent "side-story" missions available along side the upcoming expansion and they plan to do that more frequently.

I think Funcom's Dream engine has ended up hampering what kind of things they can do to improve their mmos. And the company is too small now to likely ever bring the Dream engine up to the same standards as other popular 3rd party game engines. I've often wondered if it's the game engine that makes the combat what it is.

I personally don't have a problem with the combat or animations but it's clear a lot of people do. Makes me wonder had TSW been made with the Unity engine or some other popular MMO engine - would the animations and combat be improved enough that those 2 complaints could be addressed? Unfortunately, we'll never know.

The dream engine isn´t the Limiting factor.

Just have a look at Age of Conan. It´s combat system and animations are amazing. It was actually one of the few things it was highly praised for!

And guess what?  It uses the Dream Engine too.

The problem is tho, and it clearly shows with the extreme delays of the Tokyo update (how long are we waiting now?), is that they have only one small live team left that has to maintain and update all Three games (AO, AoC and TSW).  /sigh

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

If you want my sub money back do 3 things:

1. remove that silly 7 active buttons limit

2. remove that silly 7 active buttons limit

3. remove that silly 7 active buttons limit

Simple as that. Leave to PLAYER if he want to play game with half screen filled with buttons or he want to play with single button. This way you do not hurt any1, who love that limit, is free to continue to use it, who HATE it, probably will return.

Same could happen with Wildstar. I already know was worth to buy client. But how long will stay will again depend when I will have enough of button mashing caused by 8 active buttons.

• stvnkrs10stvnkrs10 Member UncommonPosts: 53

this game needs a combat system revamp. i wanted to like this game, and i did like every single thing about it, except the combat. it was dry and felt forced, i guess similar to what it would be like to have a prison cell mate. 

i am a huge walking dead fan and would love this game to be better, i played at launch, and even came back last year to try it again, and felt the same way. please change the combat and i would easily pick this game up again.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Originally posted by Dreamo84
    My only real wish list item for TSW is a better combat system :(.

SIGNED

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I'm not a fan of the combat system, but the game runs like a slug on my system.  The loading screens are especially bad.  Most games seem to do just fine in this regard, so I don't think it's just my old machine.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• darxide23darxide23 Member Posts: 9
    No aliens, no player housing. Thanks.
  • meticmetameticmeta Member UncommonPosts: 10
    Originally posted by darxide23
    No aliens, no player housing. Thanks.

I think the alien matter is really one of the personal choice things. But I think you may be the first person to come out and say they don't want player housing. Which I find fascinating. I'd love to hear the reasons you're against it.

• NetspookNetspook Member UncommonPosts: 1,583

"...from fantastic to out of this world".

Meh. I really wish it actually was fantastic. But this one turned out to be one of the most disappointing games in history (imo), and that's a shame, because it's probably the one with the most potential, too.

But ok, my wish is that they fix the worst issues, for example starting by fixing the lackbuster combat system and the annoying skill wheel garbage.

• MirastaMirasta Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Aliens and Mayans would be great for bigger raid dungeons. Miss that daily raiding in tsw a lot :(
  • quix0tequix0te Member UncommonPosts: 138

Huh.  To me, this list is all very peripheral stuff.   I have played TSW up to lvl 10 weapons and I encourage everybody I know to try it out telling them, "Its got some of the most amazing, atmospheric, story-driven content of any game I've every played".  But when I do, I am always forced to qualify it with "BUT The character skill system is pretty much garbage."  Because it is. This, to me, is what handicapped, and continues to handicap TSW in becoming a truly awesome (and hopefully popular) game.

I would find myself looking at enough skill points to buy one or even two new skills, but instead of getting that 'Kid Going To The Toy Store' feel, I look over my skill trees again and try and decide which of the lousy skills I want to get, even if its just to grind my way to a skill I actually want.  I get it.  Its hard to come up with thirty plus skills for hammers.  Or pistols.  And some of them are GENUINELY cool.  But most of them are extremely situational.

And the sad thing is that it would take relatively little to reverse this.  In my mind, two things.

1)Make higher point cost skills do incrementally more damage.  I did a pistol/swords guy.  In swords, there is a skill that lets you burn your points to do multiple hits early in your career. Then, higher up in your tree, there is a FUNCTIONALLY IDENTICAL SKILL.  You just have to spend skill points on it to unlock the next level in that branch.  You have no choice.  It would be nice if I could at least say, "Well, this skill will do more damage",  even if its only +2% per level, so 8% more.  Bump up the defense/offense of the monsters by 1 or 2% each per tier, and BOOM, instant awesome.  And its a pain to go up the tree, because for what you pay for a third or fourth-tier skill, you can get two or three other skills from the first tier of another branch, so this makes it worth it to specialize in one branch.

2)Allow more interweaving of traits.  Each weapon specializes in two or three types of powers.  Shields.  Healing.  Crits.  Dodge.  Increased defense.  To be effective in TSW, you have to synergize your weapons abilities.  But many weapons have minimal synergies.  If you don't know this, you could be halfway through the game before you realize your build is junk.  Blades and pistols, for example, both synergize on crits and attacks that do multiple hits.  But if I had gone, for example, pistols and shotguns, I would have had almost no synergies.  Take some of the redundant, super-specific powers from the middle of the tree, and give them atypical abilities for that tree, that synergize well with other trees, so my pistol/hammer, or assault rifle/elemental build can do well.

The other stuff sounds cool, and I'd certainly like to see it, but the game needs much more central fixes first.

Oh, and if I wanted to incorporate Aliens into TSW, I'd bill them as ultra-terrestrials, coming from a parallel plane to ours, not from another planet.  The ship in Roswell could actually be a TARDIS/Planar Gate  that allowed them to penetrate the dimensional membranes, no travel across stars.

• RadixMalorumRadixMalorum Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Add to this, how about some better faces, noses, lips, brows, etc ? Please buy the animator that did the faces some glasses. There are maybe 1 or 2 choices out of all the selections that aren't hideous. This is the same company that did AOC right??
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Adding Ancient Civilizations would be awesome. If Aliens I would add it in a way that just hints that they might be behind something... never really in open but you know they are somewhere there....

Don't care much about housing in MMOs, but having a huge old house with a ghost or two roaming in bedrooms would be amazing /grin. Maybe even some housing quests to discover a history of the house and its inhabitants....

Improved chat system would be great.

Improved character creation... more choices for customization.

Recently re-installed and I am having a blast. Awesome game.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E