Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You did not play in the Golden Age of MMOs if you never had to clean one of these...

13»

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Anyone who still uses a track ball intentionally is just a masochist or stubborn. Do you still have a CRT monitor with a 13" display surrounded by a big black border too?! =P

Not everything was better back in the day... in fact a lot of shit sucked back then!

I imagine if most of the nostalgic people on these forums actually went back and played EQ1 in 1999 they would get so frustrated with the dial up internet and the clunky UI that they would throw the trackball through the 13" monitor and scream to go back to the future :-p.

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    Originally posted by Dreamo84

Anyone who still uses a track ball intentionally is just a masochist or stubborn. Do you still have a CRT monitor with a 13" display surrounded by a big black border too?! =P

Not everything was better back in the day... in fact a lot of shit sucked back then!

I imagine if most of the nostalgic people on these forums actually went back and played EQ1 in 1999 they would get so frustrated with the dial up internet and the clunky UI that they would throw the trackball through the 13" monitor and scream to go back to the future :-p.

Probably, but that's what happens when everything is easy (tech wise).  You begin to lose your patience for everything.  It's also part of what's wrong with today's MMOs.  No one has patience for anything.  Once thing I did prefer about those days was that not many people had computers or were interested in them.  It was nice being in groups of people that actually cared about Star Wars, technical aspects of computers, and games.  Now if you want to talk about any of those people will look at you like you are some kind of evil person who wastes all their time on something stupid.

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Malacth
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa I'd gladly go back to a ball mouse if it meant we got our genre back. Ah 1997-2003, RIP.

I'd change the 2003 to 2007, as imo, Vanilla WoW is the best MMO that ever was, and probably ever will be.

Back in the day I used to think WoW was for soccer Moms and their kids. But nowadays I wish I could go play vanilla WoW, considering how folks fondly refer to it. Besides, I was a huge blizzard fan since Orcs & Humand and Diablo 1. And I suspect vanilla WoW was more difficult than present day EQ.

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    Some times it was easier just to throw the mouse away then to clean it. I upgraded to optical mouse fairly early buying one in 2006.
  • UndeadlyUndeadly Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Yukmarc
    I used to hate when my mouse balls were dirty.

+1 Lol

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Originally posted by Madimorga
    Makes me want to wash my hands just thinking about it.  Not that the sides of my gaming mouse are any cleaner.  Ever scrape your nail down one?  Ick!

Don't go there.

I've been using the same mouse for the past 7 years and noticed the buildup yesterday.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Originally posted by Malacth
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa
    I'd gladly go back to a ball mouse if it meant we got our genre back. Ah 1997-2003, RIP.

I'd change the 2003 to 2007, as imo, Vanilla WoW is the best MMO that ever was, and probably ever will be.

You're just trying to start a flame war now.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636
    Best prank ever: tape a small slip of paper over the optical mouse laser.. The person I did this to in the office called tech support to help fix her mouse. lol Also pop a couple of the keyboard keys off and put them back in the wrong order. You'll learn quickly who looks at their fingers when they type.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Mechanical mouses were inconvenient and consumed more of the consumers time with tedious tasks. MMO's in the Golden Age were also inconvenient and tedious. I see the correlation between the two. 
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Ughh, LAN gaming with a trackball mouse when everyone else had optical ones was the worst..
  • TibernicuspaTibernicuspa Member UncommonPosts: 1,199
    Originally posted by simsalabim77
    Mechanical mouses were inconvenient and consumed more of the consumers time with tedious tasks. MMO's in the Golden Age were also inconvenient and tedious. I see the correlation between the two. 

Less tedious than modern MMOs, by far. Quest based leveling in modern MMOs is just busy work. You never think or actually PLAY, you just follow the sparkles. At least old MMOs had you socializing while you played.

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275

I remember how at college we often had a mouse not working anymore cause of all the dirt in them. I did a DTP college so we had a lot of people who used the mouses every day, they got dirty very quickly that way. And some geniouse at school had figured that people found it fun to remove the mouse balls so they made it impossible for you to open up the entrance to the mouse ball to clean it up. Making it very hard to work with photoshop and illustrator at times when you needed to be precise as you had to push the mouse very hard on the mouse pad in the hope it would scroll.

At home we eventually switched to a optical and wireless mouse from trustmaster.....what a disaster that was. Black and White was just released and to make your monster be a good pet you had to punish him if he done things wrong. But the crappy mouse my dad bought couldn't register fast movements.....and to slap your monster you had to move your mouse from the left to the right in a rather fast move....needless to say my monsters where pure evil cause of the mouse. When i got my own pc i sticked to the ball for a while until i bought my "razor Diamond back", only then i had faith in optical over balls.

• AkerbeltzAkerbeltz Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    what was the golden age of mmos?

1997-2003.

When almost every single AAA MMORPG appealed to a different niche, and they were all moderately successful. There really was high profile game for every kind of player. Now we have high profile games for casual quest grinding WoW style MMO fans, and nothing for anyone else. Except maybe Eve.

Also, Narius, your trolling and constant thread hijacking is tiring.

So true.

So true.

Originally posted by Coman
    I'd gladly go back to a ball mouse if it meant we got our genre back. Ah 1997-2003, RIP.

The moment the mouse lost it balls, so did this genre.

+1

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    what was the golden age of mmos?

1997-2003.

When almost every single AAA MMORPG appealed to a different niche, and they were all moderately successful. There really was high profile game for every kind of player. Now we have high profile games for casual quest grinding WoW style MMO fans, and nothing for anyone else. Except maybe Eve.

Also, Narius, your trolling and constant thread hijacking is tiring.

I understand you don't tolerate a difference in opinion.

However, i am under no obligation to agree that MMORPGs were better before, nor not to air my opinion.

• kurosenshukurosenshu Member UncommonPosts: 49
    The good old days :D