Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lots of different content

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Thats a lot of different content types.... but that differentation seems to come at a price, as there are only 4 dungeons, a 20 and a 40 man raid, 2 battlegrounds and a single warplot at release...

thats not a lot

The developers however countered this argument as they plan monthly content updates, and allready planned and partly developed 16 months ahead.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/04/29/wildstars-first-16-months-of-post-release-content-are-already-in-pre-production/

In my humble opinion these 2 facts combined give me that gruesome feeling that they kept a lot of ready or near to ready content away from the game to release it in these combat patches.. (but then, it even might be a smart thing to do)

Just wondering if they can keep up delivering all the diverse content over longer periodes of time...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451
    Already thinking that you will be doing end game stuff within minutes of release... precisely why no MMO can possibly keep up with the demand... everyone has already decided to be "done" on day one.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Foobarx
    Already thinking that you will be doing end game stuff within minutes of release... precisely why no MMO can possibly keep up with the demand... everyone has already decided to be "done" on day one.

That might be the reason why there is not that much groupconent at release, and why it is hard content..... with hard content and monthly group and raid content updates, they might keep the hordes busy and engaged for quite some time..

There might be enough content to keep people busy ... which keeps me wondering about progression, will it only be gear and raid progression, or will there also be some kind of AA system introduced after release, character progression is most often something the developers forget about, since it was not part of their example game (WoW)  ...  i have learned that in my case, that a good AA system just rocks big time

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SaluteSalute Member UncommonPosts: 795

The real point is not how many dungeons or raids or warplots etc are available on launch, but if they keep their promise about monthly content addition. They already announced the first content update for end of June containing among others a new zone with world bosses, zone event etc. For the 2nd & 3rd patches there will be also a BG and an arena, plus other things.

So imo time will tell if they will succeed to provide such content every month :)

All Time Favorites: EQ1, WoW, EvE, GW1
    Playing Now: WoW, ESO, GW2

All developers hold things back... they don't magically have a dungeon all ready to queue up a month after release... it's been in work well before release.  This is true of even WoW... which has the slowest content releases of any game out there.

People will be max level inside of 2 weeks no matter how hard the mechanics are because they shortcut any and every way they can.  The only way to slow the locusts down is to return to the old grinding ways in which a level literally took you a month to complete.  Stop deluding yourself into thinking the game has a lot of content... it's only a lot of content if you choose to make it so by playing it over and over again.  If you can't repeat the content, it wasn't worth doing twice.  These games are all about replay... repeating the same content again and again.  That's all WoW is, the same stuff over and over again.  WS is not going to be any different in that respect.

• furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

And how many times have companies told this same story about content?  *cough* Neverwinter *cough*

Or how group content was incredibely shallow and was just a gearing tool for the next raid tier and it was still raid or GTFO.

I'm on the fence on WS, if it is raid or GTFO then WS can go fuck itself.  Tired of MMOs where your weekly game time is basically summed up as show up on X days at X time for raids and rinse n repeat.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

I have been following/testing this game for a few years now. I last checked the game a few weeks ago, and was pleasantly surprised at how much content they have added. I see a good three months of PvE content (for us normal folks) with this game vs one month in TES (for comparison). I do agree that they are going to be a bit short at the endgame for the people that just burn through the levels. They are pushing for the GvG element of the Warplots to keep people busy/interested until they have more raids available.

• LyrianLyrian Member UncommonPosts: 412
    Originally posted by furbans

And how many times have companies told this same story about content?  *cough* Neverwinter *cough*

Or how group content was incredibely shallow and was just a gearing tool for the next raid tier and it was still raid or GTFO.

I'm on the fence on WS, if it is raid or GTFO then WS can go fuck itself.  Tired of MMOs where your weekly game time is basically summed up as show up on X days at X time for raids and rinse n repeat.

How can I phrase this, so it sounds right... hrm.

Raiding in Wildstar will get you the best gear (for pve). Playing Wildstar and filling your elder gem quota for the week will get you the best character.

Any activity at level 50 that gives you experience will be converted to elder gem "experience" which can be used to make permanent improvements to your character. AMP points, Ability points, rare skins, bags, things that won't magically 'poof' when the next content patch or expansion comes around.

So technically if one week you want to PVP like a drunk monkey on cocaine to get all your EGs, then the next you want to adventure the shit out of a place and some dungeons. You can. For all it matters you could go out and murder the entire country side grinding mobs until there is nothing living for miles.

Now I don't know how fast it'll take to cap out on points for the week, or if they are even keeping the cap. Or if the cap will be on a sliding scale. (A maximum threshold that increases week to week so that younger characters aren't at a disadvantage to older ones) But you will always have things to do, and a way to actually permanently improve your character outside of gear.

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Originally posted by Lyrian

Raiding in Wildstar will get you the best gear (for pve). Playing Wildstar and filling your elder gem quota for the week will get you the best character.

Any activity at level 50 that gives you experience will be converted to elder gem "experience" which can be used to make permanent improvements to your character. AMP points, Ability points, rare skins, bags, things that won't magically 'poof' when the next content patch or expansion comes around.

So technically if one week you want to PVP like a drunk monkey on cocaine to get all your EGs, then the next you want to adventure the shit out of a place and some dungeons. You can. For all it matters you could go out and murder the entire country side grinding mobs until there is nothing living for miles.

Now I don't know how fast it'll take to cap out on points for the week, or if they are even keeping the cap. Or if the cap will be on a sliding scale. (A maximum threshold that increases week to week so that younger characters aren't at a disadvantage to older ones) But you will always have things to do, and a way to actually permanently improve your character outside of gear.

Please elaborate how do you get "best character" without best gear.

WS is progression game. With all things that brings to the table. 

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Lol, journey mmo players.

• CalexCalex Member UncommonPosts: 99
    Two weeks after launch people will be saying the game does not have enough content.
  • KaladinKaladin Member Posts: 468
    Originally posted by Malabooga

Best Gear will be inferior to someone else with the Best Gear and having unlocked all Ability and AMP points via Elder Gems.  Is what I hope he meant.

I can fly higher than an aeroplane.
    And I have the voice of a thousand hurricanes.
    Hurt - Wars

Originally posted by Calex
    Two weeks after launch people will be saying the game does not have enough content.

I highly doubt it, given that it is guaranteed to take 2 weeks for people to get into the 20 man raid.

But there will always be someone to troll with that claim, regardless of its merit.

Hurt - Wars

Originally posted by Kaladin

I highly doubt it, given that it is guaranteed to take 2 weeks for people to get into the 20 man raid.

But there will always be someone to troll with that claim, regardless of its merit.

If it takes 2 weeks to reach level 50... the preponderance of the game in and of itself, why do you expect that latter portion to take more time?  Because you repeat it more just to get different loot?

It should take months to hit level 50... but those days are long gone... they might as well make everyone a level 10000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000because reaching max level is meaningless... about as meaningless as killing the same bosses week in and week out.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Keep in mind that often content can be done well before its released, however it still needs to be polished up and tested. Dungeons are designed to be quiet difficult so they need a lot more balancing and tweaking to get working.  That being said, in a way adventures are a more casual dungeon, having 6 adventures (which each have varying paths you can take with them) means that in terms of 'group instances' you really have 10 total "dungeons" if you consider it to be like they would be in other games. Looking at it that way, there are a lot of dungeons out there. If you count ship hands too (which are mini dungeons in themselves) that is even more things to do.

I think as it stands Wildstar has a LOT of content out there on release, a lot more variety then most games out there. Given they do update monthly and throw in new dungeons every month or two (ideally given they do vet mode ones, having them take part at different levels for variety during leveling) I can easily see this being remedied and giving more options. 

Honestly, I'm not one that feels there needs to nessisary be a monthly big update (2 months time works for me just fine really. not counting patches and fixes) but I think if they pace themselves right they can keep up the cycle. Its very likely they have split teams working on different elements, meaning a team might be working on shiphands and adventures to throw out, while others will be doing Dungeons and Raids, another handling pvp updates. Its not as crazy sounding to keep up with as it might sound. I'm sure there will be hurdles but given there are multiple teams when 1 part might faulter, there will be other parts that could still put their finished content into play.

If it takes 2 weeks to reach level 50... the preponderance of the game in and of itself, why do you expect that latter portion to take more time?  Because you repeat it more just to get different loot?

It should take months to hit level 50... but those days are long gone... they might as well make everyone a level 100000000000000000000000000000000000 reaching max level is meaningless... about as meaningless as killing the same bosses week in and week out.

By that logic, nothing you do in a game would have meaning.  Getting to 50 doesn't end your character's progression.  There's more story to be had at max level, if that's what you're looking for. 

Edit: Btw, bosses in the raids can change week to week based on a set of potential bosses.  So there will be new things to learn for quite a while.

Hurt - Wars

You shouldn't be able to reach max level inside 2 weeks NO MATTER HOW MUCH there is to do when you get there... it makes having spent the time creating the world and even quests for that matter, the preponderance of the development time, utterly pointless.  The fact that people will be max level in a blink of an eye bespeaks to the level of difficulty this game really offers.  If Archeage were to go live 1 week after the free 30 days are used up, everyone would literally switch games because it's new stuff to do, not rinse/repeat.
  • AsleepAsleep Member UncommonPosts: 96

It should take months to hit level 50... but those days are long gone... they might as well make everyone a level 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

It taking a long time level was actually never fun for me. Also I'm assuming his comment is not about how long it takes to level, there is an atunement that isn't the easiest. It will mean you will have to get your raid to a point where it can regularly medal the vets. Also you can/will run the adventures on vet mod as well.

On the surface it may look like not much content, but little things will make this tier  take a couple months for the most hardcore guilds, in theory it could be 2mnths before any guild steps into the 40man. Time will tell, but even then that will be for the serious, doing it like a job guilds, for the semi-hardcore that means even longer progression, which sounds like a ton of fun to me, and many of my friends who are playing this game.

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

Getting to max level is fine and good, but you still cant raid.
    The keying system takes a minimum of 2 weeks. Takes 150 gems(forgot currency name) to but the initial item to start the keying process. You can only get 140 per week.
    After that you can start the process which in itself isnt easy.

Not to mention Gearing from the level 50 dungeons just to be able to survive the raids.

There are time restrictions put in place to slow players down.

Then you have the 7day lock out periods like other MMOs.

You have to clear all 20man content to progress to 40 man, and again with the gearing for 40 man.

There is a lot of things to keep you busy.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
    You shouldn't be able to reach max level inside 2 weeks NO MATTER HOW MUCH there is to do when you get there... it makes having spent the time creating the world and even quests for that matter, the preponderance of the development time, utterly pointless.  The fact that people will be max level in a blink of an eye bespeaks to the level of difficulty this game really offers.  If Archeage were to go live 1 week after the free 30 days are used up, everyone would literally switch games because it's new stuff to do, not rinse/repeat.

Multiple Choice question:

Game A takes 5 months to get to max level, and Game B takes 2 weeks to get to max level.  Which game is more difficult?

a.) Game A is more difficult

b.) Game B is more difficult

c.) They are equally difficult

d.) Not enough information

If you answered anything other than D, I know that I will not be able to continue having this conversation, because you are drawing a conclusion for which there is no evidence.

Hurt - Wars

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4_xR2glsbA

watch the video....  you can get 7 extra abillity points and 10 extra AMP points... which will take you 10 months to archieve, also there is gear, mounts and even extra build slots tht you can buy with elder points..   

it gives at least some character advancement at max level... but it still keeps me hoping for a good AA system on top of this...

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4_xR2glsbA

watch the video....  you can get 7 extra abillity points and 10 extra AMP points... which will take you 10 months to archieve, also there is gear, mounts and even extra build slots tht you can buy with elder points..   

it gives at least some character advancement at max level... but it still keeps me hoping for a good AA system on top of this...

That doesnt answer the question. (as i knew noone would DARE to be honest)

Originally posted by Krimzin

The keying system takes a minimum of 2 weeks. Takes 150 gems(forgot currency name) to but the initial item to start the keying process. You can only get 140 per week.

Not to mention Gearing from the level 50 dungeons just to be able to survive the raids.

You have to clear all 20man content to progress to 40 man, and again with the gearing for 40 man.

Having gated contnt isnt magically  more content. Any game can have 1 thing you can only repeat once a week and you need to do it 10 times.

Now suddenly game has 10 times more content? lol Its mindnumbigly dragging content out. Something that fails more and more each time its introduced.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Having gated contnt isnt magically  more content. Any game can have 1 thing you can only repeat once a week and you need to do it 10 times.

Now suddenly game has 10 times more content? lol Its mindnumbigly dragging content out. Something that fails more and more each time its introduced.

I agree about the gated content. I've said this many times in other threads but gated content is the worst thing to have happened to the MMORPG genre. In Wildstar however you are allowed to "fill" your weekly quota by doing anything in the game. You are not forced on some shitty daily quests or daily dungeon or daily PvP.

You can _choose_ and that's what I like about the game.

Originally posted by GoldenArrow

I agree about the gated content. I've said this many times in other threads but gated content is the worst thing to have happened to the MMORPG genre. In Wildstar however you are allowed to "fill" your weekly quota by doing anything in the game. You are not forced on some shitty daily quests or daily dungeon or daily PvP.

You can _choose_ and that's what I like about the game.

Yes, but argument that "something will take 2 weeks" is in itself quite pointless without context.

AND when you do that step youre on to new gated content, now in more specific way.

Thats unfortunately big downfall of progression games and people can spit on WoW all they want for removing virtually all barriers, but in the end, people should play the game not gate and if someone has experience with MMOs its Blizzard.

Do you really think "go do dailies for 2 weeks then magically key yourself at something thats not PUG friendly and then we will consider" wont be common phrase, especially when WS will be out for a bit?

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Thats a lot of different content types.... but that differentation seems to come at a price, as there are only 4 dungeons, a 20 and a 40 man raid, 2 battlegrounds and a single warplot at release...

thats not a lot

Not sure why adventures are not in that list (not the top one lol), while there are 4 dungeons there are also 6 adventures which i think is fair enough compromise, this gives you 10 instance pieces of content which are all varied and not the same kill trash kill boss. With Raids have 3 rotations, so you are getting different encounters each week, so 3 in 1, hopefully they're varied enough. Overall to me that's a ton of content to be releasing with on top of everything else you listed.