Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why World of Warcraft is the King of Kings, The Greatest, The number one of all MMO's.

Comments

• Saur0nSaur0n Member UncommonPosts: 114
    Originally posted by xpowderx

Recently just resubbed. Numbers are still huge for this game. Was surprised to still see noobies in the starting areas. Thought it would be all of us old vets. The new starting areas are awesome! Gnome area is the best!

Love you all for the responses. Glad some still debate!

WOW is the only mmo I play once in a while. I have reverted back to single player games. Retro as well.. Warcraft III ect. Ever wonder where the world of warcraft history comes from. Play that game and youll learn. Pretty awesome!

Back to Hearthstone now :-). Need to beat up some Zoolocks :-)

Warcraft 3 is considered retro?  I'm getting old...

• NL-RikkertNL-Rikkert Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Originally posted by funyahns
    Commercial success does not equate to best quality.  Now WoW is a good mmo but trying to say because it makes X amount of money means it is better than anyone else is wrong.

Never said anything about quality, nor anything about how much money WOW makes(neither does the link). Perhaps reading comprehension is in order.  Thanks though for the input!

@Funyahns is right, Blizzard had a good timing, great marketing and a solid IP to lean on. From a gameplay perspective this game has never been much.

@Xpowederx that is a hilarious statement to make when your title reads: 'Why World of Warcraft is the king of kings, the greatest, the number one of all MMO's'. Which makes anything that follows completely biased as you are obviously a fan of the game. Besides calling people who disagree with your OPINION 'naysayers' isn't working in your favour here..

I loved the Warcraft series and played the first three games 100's of hours. But with the rise of WoW it fell short to me, basically due to the immense generic and dumbed down gameplay. Not being a hater, everyone has his/her own opinions and this is simply mine. I am happy for the people that enjoy the game for what it is, but quite honestly I don't see what the hype is about. I'd prefer a Warcraft 4 strategy game :)

STOOPID
    When someone does something so utterly moronic that it kills your brain cells at the very thought of it.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101

Vanila WoW was a very good game. I remember my first time in Deadmines,Wailing Caverns and Gnomeregan. These were dungeons they were fun and it required people to pay attention and we wiped when we were not careful or played well. It was a  good game. I heard it got dumbed down over the years though.

May be a year or more back I went back I noticed they butchered the skill tree and when I went out to Ashenvale and other areas no one was playing, I mean outside levelling outside on the mobs. I think people level via the dungeon finder now.

Chamber of Chains
  • summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

There are better games out there , although there is no disputing its commercial success.

Also there are a mass of children that play Wow , so I guess it caters to that demographic in particular. I personally always found it just ok.

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999
    Originally posted by cheyane

Vanila WoW was a very good game. I remember my first time in Deadmines,Wailing Caverns and Gnomeregan. These were dungeons they were fun and it required people to pay attention and we wiped when we were not careful or played well. It was a  good game. I heard it got dumbed down over the years though.

May be a year or more back I went back I noticed they butchered the skill tree and when I went out to Ashenvale and other areas no one was playing,I mean outside levelling outside on the mobs. I think people level via the dungeon finder now.

same here.  WoW is not living up, anymore,  to its early roots as an extremely good game to me.  that doesnt mean it can't again... but they need a bit of a change of direction soon IMHO.  as it stands, dungeon finder, etc cause the overland world to feel empty and lifeless, and their new system of leveling up does not give te theorycrafters among us enough choices to make our characters feel unique.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

I wouldn't say that WOW is the best mmo on the market but I will say this, the game has been around for a looooooooong time and it's still doing great. If you are a player who loves to raid then there really isn't anyother game close to the king. I hate Blizzard for being so greedy but I also salute them for making the greatest mmo that will ever set it's foot on this planet.

Today I feel that the graphics are dated and I never enjoyed raiding like most people do so it's not really a game for me but that didn't stop blizzard from excepting my money for over 3 years while I played everyday :)

So my hats of to the creators of this magnificant game.

• PreparedPrepared Member UncommonPosts: 103
    Originally posted by laserit

While there are naysayers who would like to say differently. Thought I would share some interesting facts about our beloved World of Warcraft, Also why no mmo on the market can touch WOW!.

Here is the link:http://media.wow-europe.com/infographic/en/world-of-warcraft-infographic.html  

Too much to post here! Hope you enjoy!

Your a few days late to the party:

But with that being said, there is little doubt to the legacy of WoW. It's definitely in the MMORPG hall of fame. After playing the EQNL alpha..... there is no doubt that the "Next Generation MMORPG's" are on their way. I only see decline for WoW in the future and it's days of being #1 western MMORPG are definatley numbered.

I can see why Blizzard went back to the drawing board with Titan

You're mixing two different things.   You're stating that because WoW's numbers are decreasing that it will not be number one any longer.  That's not true, what's happening is the pie is just getting more slices, but WoW still has the bigger piece and will have for a long time to come.  It's very simple for the reason.  It's because no MMORPG gives the player the playing experience that WoW does.  None of them give you all of the play styles available in World of Warcraft.  All new MMORPGs release games that are "different" but not complete.  The newer MMOs give different things but don't give what's available in WoW first then add to it.

Look at every industry in the history of the world, the market leader has always been the company that gave the customer of their product everything available from all of the competitors products.  The consumer always chooses the product that gives them the most for their money.  It's the same with MMORPGs and for some reason, people want to discuss on forums all kinds of things that don't apply such as things that are "different" like action combat.  Being "different" in all industries of the world has not made any market leaders ever.  The market leader is the one that gives the consumer all that was available and then-some from all of the competitors in the market.

• lareslocilaresloci Member UncommonPosts: 373
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71
    With billions served, McDonalds is the best food ever !!!

So sayeth the people of Walmart!

Why is it that, as a culture, we are more comfortable seeing two men holding guns than holding hands? ~Ernest Gaines

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Careful what you wish for, if wow dies you will have a lot of cynical jaded players with a grudge flooding other games :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512

Whoa, millions of heroes ! 

Sounds fun ...

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• midnitewolfmidnitewolf Member UncommonPosts: 64

The Answer is that it is not by any means the king of kings, so on and so forth.  WoW just managed to come out at a time when there was no other games available.  Additionally it appealed to a wider range of people than games such as EQ, UO, DAoC which inflated its numbers.

In fact, WoW despite its individual huge success, pretty much ended up being a huge and darn near terminal cancer for MMO development.  MMO developers basically stopped trying to come up with new engaging games and everyone became copycats which had the effect of completely stagnating the MMO industry.   Also instead of the measure of success being a moderately profitable game with around 250,000 active subscribers, if a game did not appeal to millions, it was judged a failure and suffered from lack of developer support.  Additionally new games also suffered from this plague brought on by WoW, simply because if marketing research didn't support an expectation of millions of subscribers, these new game concepts will aborted with extreme prejudice even if they could have fallen into that moderately profitable category with much smaller subscription numbers.  

This plague still exists today but finally, some new game developers are coming out and actually trying to design games with new concepts and ideas and many are starting to realize that 500k loyal subscribers making decent profits is STILL a good thing.

So if you just look at the numbers, yes WoW has been a success.  However if you look at it's hugely negative effect on the development of new games and the general poor quality of those new games, then WoW can be also be judged the worst thing that ever happened to MMOs.

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by midnitewolf

The Answer is that it is not by any means the king of kings, so on and so forth.  WoW just managed to come out at a time when there was no other games available.  Additionally it appealed to a wider range of people than games such as EQ, UO, DAoC which inflated its numbers.

In fact, WoW despite its individual huge success, pretty much ended up being a huge and darn near terminal cancer for MMO development.  MMO developers basically stopped trying to come up with new engaging games and everyone became copycats which had the effect of completely stagnating the MMO industry.   Also instead of the measure of success being a moderately profitable game with around 250,000 active subscribers, if a game did not appeal to millions, it was judged a failure and suffered from lack of developer support.  Additionally new games also suffered from this plague brought on by WoW, simply because if marketing research didn't support an expectation of millions of subscribers, these new game concepts will aborted with extreme prejudice even if they could have fallen into that moderately profitable category with much smaller subscription numbers.  

This plague still exists today but finally, some new game developers are coming out and actually trying to design games with new concepts and ideas and many are starting to realize that 500k loyal subscribers making decent profits is STILL a good thing.

So if you just look at the numbers, yes WoW has been a success.  However if you look at it's hugely negative effect on the development of new games and the general poor quality of those new games, then WoW can be also be judged the worst thing that ever happened to MMOs.

QFT my friend... QFT

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829

oh, i also liked this one lol

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Yeah, I don't want it to die.

Otherwise all other genres will follow suit and we will enter the twilight ages of games(twilight as in twilight of mind). Oh Asuryan, how did sth like Warcraft ever come from sth like Warhammer???

Imagine if Kotor/Tor, the Witcher etc were produced with the brainpower of wow. Oh Vaul, protect me from such madness!!!

Someone said that you can play wow with half of a brain functioning. I'd say that its the (hidden) IQ req for playing wow.

There are so many better games out there(wc3 included!). This is what happened to gaming:

We went(from -> to):

Diablo -> Diablo 3( :/ )
    Rome: TW -> Rome: TW2( :/ )
    EQ/DAoC/etc -> WoW/Rift/etc( :/ )
    Morrowind -> Skyrim( :/ )
    Baldur's Gate -> Neverwinter( :/ )
    CoD -> Blops( :/ )

Wtf happened to gaming?

Diablo 1 was not that good :D Diablo 2 was great though. 

Shogun 2 > all other TW

WoW > EQ. I am sick of hearing how EQ was much better than WoW. It was not. It was an asian like grinder for basement dwellers.

I wouldn't say Morrowind > Skyrim. I loved both games equally. Morrowind gave a different experience - great story, atmosphere, epic environments. Skyrim had better systems/combat

You compare BG2 to NWN? One is a one champ RPG, the other is a hardcore party RPG. NWN had the best multiplayer at the time. Probably the RPG wit hthe most content to ever exist!

COD and blops - I do'nt care.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• FoobarxFoobarx Member Posts: 451
    If this were a Blizzard forum, a blue would lock the thread for necroing an old post...
  • Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by midnitewolf

Back in 2004, Blizzard was doing the same thing and guess what? It shifted the direction of an entire genre. When people try to say WoW was/is a poison on the genre, they don't fully realize the uphill battle WoW had to fight to capture all the players who were experienced from playing UO, EA, AC, DAoC, AO and FFXI. Also , it's not like the masses coming from WC3 were idiots that didn't know any better. Blizzard managed to capture the flag among the greats and not only hold it, but grow exponentially from 2005 to it's peak in 2010. That's 5 years, FIVE YEARS of solid growth. You don't get that from copying EQ, you get that from improving on it's formula.

Blizzard did what all the other developers failed to do, it identified with the current market trends and capitalized on them. When archaic gameplay elements were frustrating many gamers at that time like death penalties, mob grinding, combat downtime and easy professions. WoW innovated by differentiating from what they were doing. Their use of art style throughout the zones, music and character animation was seen as a welcome change as well.

So now that the market has been repeating the same formulas again for the second time, it's up to a new developer to once again identify current market trends that are frustrating players and improving on that. But instead of a hand full of mmos to extract that data from like in 2001 to 2004, they have thousands of mmos to search for those needles from. Not an easy task, especially when mmo players have experienced so many more basic mmo features repeatedly over the last decade.

So don't blame WoW because it gave the people what they thought they wanted. You cannot really fault them for that. But if you insist on laying blame on someone, blame the players for not knowing what they actually needed. Although that too is hardly the players fault, especially when the genre was so new at the time. Because being intrigued with a developer that was offering something different back then was very tempting and is still something that's widely practiced today.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Can't argue with those numbers. And you can also look at it being the reason other companies are putting out such crappy games post wow. They are all trying to do the same thing and failing badly. This is what happens when the suits take over a company instead of the creative people trying to do something different. I have said it before, the next great mmo will come from an indie company.
  • Mr_SneakymanMr_Sneakyman Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Gotta love those guys who walk into a bar wearing a karate jacket. Kudos to the OP, I love WoW too.
  • xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Originally posted by Beelzebobbie

I wouldn't say that WOW is the best mmo on the market but I will say this, the game has been around for a looooooooong time and it's still doing great. If you are a player who loves to raid then there really isn't anyother game close to the king. I hate Blizzard for being so greedy but I also salute them for making the greatest mmo that will ever set it's foot on this planet.

Today I feel that the graphics are dated and I never enjoyed raiding like most people do so it's not really a game for me but that didn't stop blizzard from excepting my money for over 3 years while I played everyday :)

So my hats of to the creators of this magnificant game.

Just the sentence highlighted in red.  Even though I am a WOW fan and love WOW raids. I used to be a heavy raider for multiple mmos. The Original Everquest still has the best raid content of any mmorpg on the market.

• sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by Katilla

oh, i also liked this one lol

Except these days WoW is the most costly MMORPG to play.

It is like go eating in a restaurant at 180 dollars while the rest of the offers is giving away meals for free at some suspicious food bar down town.

These days WoW is more like the most expensive restaurant in the world and STILL serving 7 million more people each day ...

:) Makes you think about the terrible quality of food in the free meals  establishments.

Actually this argument by WoW hating trolls now turned against them with all that free garbage out and STILL not having decent multi million consumers.

If there is ANYTHING showing some proof how good WoW really is, it is this very simple fact: even in a rather expensive setting WoW is played far more than free to play copycats.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    I havent been to McDonald's in years, guess I just dont like the greatest food in the world lol :D
  • sportsfansportsfan Member Posts: 431
    Originally posted by Kuinn
    I havent been to McDonald's in years, guess I just dont like the greatest food in the world lol :D

WoW is the 5 stars restaurant these days as 7.5 million PAY to just get a meal while the others are the fast food bars giving free meals at a rather stinky self service bar.

That's a reality. Accept to live with it if you still visit these bars.

For years elitists thought they had an argument, but now that argument turned clearly against them.

It shows how subpar that competition REALLY was,..

It is proof that WoW stands miles above these free to play unpolished things. WTF: you ask 180 dollars to play and STILL beat the competition by many, many millions...

And ... how long can you stay open by distributing free meals in a costly enterprise ? Ask Warhammer, Vanguard and a few dozen others .... :)

So these "things" display free meals but you have to pay to get a fork, a spoon, a napkin, a chair and a decent table ...:). And of course these tools are microscopic, expect to upgrade them all of the time... before even starting to eat properly ...No wonder why WoW is the best.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by sportsfan

WoW is the 5 stars restaurant these days as 7.5 million PAY to just get a meal while the others are the fast food bars giving free meals at a rather stinky self service bar.

For years elitists thought they had an argument, but now that argument turned clearly against them.

It is proof that WoW stands miles above these free to play unpolished things. WTF: you ask 180 dollars to play and STILL beat the competition by many, many millions...

And ... how long can you stay open by distributing free meals in a costly enterprise ? Ask Warhammer, Vanguard and a few dozen others .... :)

So these "things" display free meals but you have to pay to get a fork, a spoon, a napkin, a chair and a decent table ...:). And of course these tools are microscopic, expect to upgrade them all of the time... before even starting to eat properly ...No wonder why WoW is the best.

Yeah, you made your point, millions go to McDonald's (WoW) and millions go to homeless shelters to get free meals (Perfect World), that's fine. Eating Big Macs or cheese burgers is okay, do it, I dont care, if you are happy good for you, millions are happy to eat cheeseburgers, it's not my job to tell them they should do something else and I'm not telling. Like I said, I simply just dont like the greatest food in the world which is burgers, I'm pretty sure I have the rigth not to like burgers if I prefer steak or whatever :)

• MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    WoW might be the greatest calamity to ever befall the gaming industry.
  • reeereeereeereee Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by sportsfan

Yeah, you made your point, millions go to McDonald's (WoW) and millions go to homeless shelters to get free meals (Perfect World), that's fine. Eating Big Macs or cheese burgers is okay, do it, I dont care, if you are happy good for you, millions are happy to eat cheeseburgers, it's not my job to tell them they should do something else and I'm not telling. Like I said, I simply just dont like the greatest food in the world which is burgers, I'm pretty sure I have the rigth not to like burgers if I prefer steak or whatever :)

Your analogy is terrible because there is no game more expensive than WoW.  It would work if there was some amazing mmo out there that costs $30+ a month to subscribe, but there isn't.  If we compared restaurants to mmos, it would be like the most expensive restaurant in the world also sold the most food.