Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

You did not play in the Golden Age of MMOs if you never had to clean one of these...

Comments

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570
    Golden age of MMO to me is UO, EQ and DAoC, had drawn maps on the wall, no voice chat, going backwards in your level from dying to much that night, trying to recover your grave or tombstone, just to die again and lose even more XP etc etc.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Mouse cleaning - what a joy...^^

God, my first Amiga, obviously used, the Mouse was so dirty the Ball was wrapped into threads of dirt i had to use force to get it out for cleaning.
    I gave this Computer back bcs i bought it for new in a Shop...and got a new unused one this time.

I switched to opitcal mice when they came out in the early 90s and had to exchange them every 4 months bcs they were no reliable - of course they went into oblivion and had to left the market.
    I still have 1 of those i never used...they needed a Special Mousepad with sort of a grid printed on them so the early optical sensors could get the movement data.

For years to come had to go back to mechanical mice until a new Generation of working optical mice from Logitech entered the marked - what a relief!

Today i am using an optical Microsoft Mouse since 3 or 4 years and it still works great.

Hail thee Optical Mouse!

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by Coman
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa I'd gladly go back to a ball mouse if it meant we got our genre back. Ah 1997-2003, RIP.
    The moment the mouse lost it balls, so did this genre.

Quote of the year!

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• Jagwar_FangJagwar_Fang Member UncommonPosts: 264
    Knew exactly what you were referring to before the thread even loaded.  Glad those days are long gone.
  • AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476

i remember my first ever mouse was on my amiga 4000 back in 1985 i was 7 years old and learning to programme the computer to render chess peices which took around 2-3 days for each one. way way back before there was internet.  the first internet trials if i remember correctly came about in 1994 and was first seen in the home in 1995. my dates may be off slightly.

lol the mice back then were just horendous most of the stuff and games needed a joystick other wise it was pure keyboard control. and yea that mouse is when mmos were at there greatest. and when VR  was a new concept.  i cant believe some bozo is trying to reinvent virtual reality gaming and call it new.!!!   i remember sampling a VR system in the shopping centre when i was around 14 years old.. had to wear a helmet type visor and there was huge tripods all around the pressure pad on the floor with cameras set up to track these sensors which covered this flexible tight nylon suit you had to wear. 

the game was a paragliding simulator and it was awesome. graphics were crap but back then  they were brilliant. 

some of you people on here have no idea what gaming is and what it was supposed to represent! it all started with  text based adventures on a compute screen. 

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Tibernicuspa
    I'd gladly go back to a ball mouse if it meant we got our genre back. Ah 1997-2003, RIP.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Some would call it the Stone Age.....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• redbugredbug Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Haha, the worst part was cleaning the damn rollers.
  • fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by redbug
    Haha, the worst part was cleaning the damn rollers.

1999 was the year I spent an insane amount of money for the first intellimouse. I was so fricken tired of popping the mouse ball out of my, think it was an HP mouse, and having to clean it every few hours due to the slug/skippyness. Friends thought I was insane. But when one of my EQ buddies tried the mouse he was hooked.

Sadly the first gen intellimouse had a somewhat short/shoddy lifespan, and I was forced to buy a couple of replacements to the point the guy at Software Etc always asked me "Need another mouse?" every time we went into the store. A couple of times I had to bow my head and say "Yes...", But damnit I was not going back to scratching lint off the 2 damn rollers again!

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• EzRdrEzRdr Member UncommonPosts: 40
    I use a trackball so I still do a variation of this cleaning drill from time to time.
  • thecapitainethecapitaine Member UncommonPosts: 408
    Thanks for the saunter down memory lane, OP!  There's a lot I miss about those days but maintaining my mouse (and its balls [and its rollers]) certainly isn't among them.  I always felt like the mouse never worked quite as well after its first cleaning also.
  • loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

i still have a white mouse and cleaning it often ...

the sad part is that half the time of its use is not about mmorpg but working :S

• GilnidorGilnidor Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Originally posted by Dauzqul

SIGH! now it is back in my mind again. I do not miss it a single bit.

• Dwarfman420Dwarfman420 Member Posts: 207

ha ha ha those were the days.

*pets laser mouse*

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Jeez I think I might still have one in a drawer somewhere.
    Chamber of Chains
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560

You did not live in the good old days or you are just a kid if you can't remember a day when you never even read the word telephone!!

It is a very fun thing to do isn't it? Constantly reminding ourselves the worthless times of our lives when we had lack of technology so whatever crap we threw out of our ass looked like masterpiece!! AMAZING isn't it? 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430

I actually had a mouse with a ball for about a year ago in my office at work and I had been screaming at my bosses to give me a new one but they didn't see the point since it worked. So I took the mouse down into production and ran over it with a truck and now I have a new one :)

So the horror of these mouses are still fresh in my memory :)

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    I'd gladly go back to a ball mouse if it meant we got our genre back. Ah 1997-2003, RIP.

I hear ya! It saddens me that we'll never see that genre again. :(

• BulldozeBulldoze Member UncommonPosts: 115

Always seemed to get to the point that they were too grimy to function in the middle of a boss fight :(

Gone our the days of a raid wipe and the healers excuse being

"brb cleaning my mouse"

I am the Arch-fiend, the Despoiler of Worlds, and by my hands shall the false Emperor fall.

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869

They really need to add a like tab. +1 buddy.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Although there was a certain amount of satisfaction involved in removing that dirt. It was a bit like peeling off a scab
  • alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam
    Don't miss those days at all.

The I bought a laser one it was no turning back :D

• MalacthMalacth Member UncommonPosts: 121

I'd change the 2003 to 2007, as imo, Vanilla WoW is the best MMO that ever was, and probably ever will be.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    I still remember my last ball mouse.. The Razer Boomslang. 

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

#Salute